hadoken (0)

(Kevin Liao) < Tourian Tourist >
Minnesota
^topic

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:00:33 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
You could ask DreamTR if he has one, but if you're looking to buy it, he probably won't sell it cheap...unreleased prototype of a game from a popular series will likely cost you a ton

-------------------------

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:28:31 PM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
Final Fantasy 2 is released, but it will still be expensive because it IS from Final Fantasy.  I don't think DreamTR has a copy.  I'm guessing he'll pipe in asap to let us know, though .

Edited: 03/18/2010 at 09:29 PM by removed-07-06-2016

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:29:49 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: nesguy

Final Fantasy 2 is release, but it will still be expensive because it IS from Final Fantasy.

I was assuming he was referring to Final Fantasy II for the NES...in which case it's unreleased

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:33:29 PM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
The ROM has been dumped, though. That = released in my book .

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:41:37 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

The ROM has been dumped, though. That = released in my book .

Dude, that's retarded.  There's a difference between a dumped prototype ROM and an actual release.  If I could have played it on an original console without having some nerd put it on a cartridge and selling it, I can consider it an actual release.  This is a game that was slated for release and scrapped for one reason or another.  It's NOT an actual release, despite it having surfaced and subsequently being made public.  And since he's looking for a proto, he obviously doesn't give a shit if he can download the game and play it on his PC, he wants the actual piece of gaming history.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:45:19 PM
i2a2n2 (39)
(Ian B.) < Kraid Killer >
Ontario
I'm just going to guess that he's talking about the SNES because he went to the bother of buying a blank SNES prototype and then asking the seller for the eproms for the board... just a guess though... ?

My NWC High Score 661 950  Jan 19th 2010

---------Wanted: SNES PROTOTYPES !!! PM Me-----------

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:49:59 PM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
wiz:  Possibly. But you have to realize we're arguing over something in a topic where the OP was too lazy to even denote whether he/she want information on the NES or SNES (US) game. I mean, for all either of us knows, he wants the SNES one. Or hell, even a prototype for Final Fantasy Legend II, the GB game. OR EVEN!!?!?!? he might not even know that the actual FF2 has been dumped, and does only want to play it!

Oh, and it's not retarded (and it kinda gets my hackles up when someone calls something I've said retarded, even through the anonimity of the internet, so please don't do that). I've seen multiple proto guys differentiate between true "unreleased" protos where there is no ROM dump and games that were unreleased but have a playable ROM out there in da cyberwebz. Your generic statement about it being unreleased was not entirely accurate, so I was merely clarifying in case this person here didn't know the difference.

Edited: 03/18/2010 at 09:50 PM by removed-07-06-2016

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:55:15 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
com'n guys, you are both retarded.

eBay listings here

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:59:42 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

wiz:  Possibly. But you have to realize we're arguing over something in a topic where the OP was too lazy to even denote whether he/she want information on the NES or SNES (US) game. I mean, for all either of us knows, he wants the SNES one. Or hell, even a prototype for Final Fantasy Legend II, the GB game. OR EVEN!!?!?!? he might not even know that the actual FF2 has been dumped, and does only want to play it!

Oh, and it's not retarded (and it kinda gets my hackles up when someone calls something I've said retarded, even through the anonimity of the internet, so please don't do that). I've seen multiple proto guys differentiate between true "unreleased" protos where there is no ROM dump and games that were unreleased but have a playable ROM out there in da cyberwebz. Your generic statement about it being unreleased was not entirely accurate, so I was merely clarifying in case this person here didn't know the difference.

Okay, retarded is a bit harsh, but it's still pretty dumb.  I am aware of nobody that calls a dumped proto an actual release.  It still fits the "Unreleased but dumped" description, but it's not a truly released game.  Homebrew releases of unreleased titles did create a fairly new grey area, but that doesn't kill the argument, just adds a new dimension to an old argument.  I do agree that an undumped proto of an unreleased game commands a higher price than a dumped unreleased game, but that doesn't change the unreleased status of the game.

I do agree that the OP should've specified which console he was looking to get the game for though

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:02:51 PM
i2a2n2 (39)
Ontario
my 2 cents on the topic you two are talking about is
Unreleased prototype = a game like Earthbound for the NES, Exerion 2 for the NES where the game wasn't publicly released for financial gain by the company that developed it or sold by nintendo or whatever company during the lifetime of the system in question, but has since become publicly. available on the internet.

Undumped Unreleased Game= could either be a few things a game that isn't released for the system in question but might also not have any known prototype of it in any collectors hands eg Bio Force Ape for the NES, Sim City for the NES etc etc. Or at least to me a game like Socks the Cat for the SNES where their is a prototype of it known to exist but the game isn't available to anyone outside of the one person who owns the known prototype.

it is a grey area I agree but if I'm looking to buy an undumped unreleased proto I would try to be dddddaaaaaaaaammmnnn well sure that it wasn't available anywhere on the internet before opening my wallet.If that means asking the seller if they have dumped the game at all and given it to anyone then so be it, comes with the territory I guess...?

Edited: 03/18/2010 at 10:04 PM by i2a2n2

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:11:55 PM
hadoken (0)

(Kevin Liao) < Tourian Tourist >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

I do agree that the OP should've specified which console he was looking to get the game for though

I meant for the NES, not the SNES (that would be FFIV amirite?)

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:17:31 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: hadoken

Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

I meant for the NES, not the SNES (that would be FFIV amirite?)

Correct.  The reason for the question though is that when FFII was scrapped on the NES, and III was passed over, the SNES working title would still have been FFII as opposed to FFIV because it would have been the second game in the series...or that would be my assumption anyway.  Looks like I assumed correctly though.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:47:23 PM
DreamTR (163)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
There's only one FF2 proto (real one) and I think TheRedEye knows who has it

www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:50:32 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Well, if TheRedEye knows, it narrows the search, but dude's gonna probably have to shell out huge for a one of a kind prototype...

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:46:24 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: DreamTR

There's only one FF2 proto (real one) and I think TheRedEye knows who has it

Yeah. If anyone wants it and is willing to pay, by all means PM me and I'll talk to the owner. I don't think he wants to "out" himself, and I don't think he's looking to sell either, but I don't mind passing the word along if you've got a really serious offer. Don't try to lowball, we both know what these things are worth.

It's the only one found so far, for what it's worth.

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:16:56 AM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: i2a2n2

Unreleased prototype = a game like Earthbound for the NES, Exerion 2 for the NES where the game wasn't publicly released for financial gain by the company that developed it or sold by nintendo or whatever company during the lifetime of the system in question, but has since become publicly. available on the internet.

Undumped Unreleased Game= could either be a few things a game that isn't released for the system in question but might also not have any known prototype of it in any collectors hands eg Bio Force Ape for the NES, Sim City for the NES etc etc. Or at least to me a game like Socks the Cat for the SNES where their is a prototype of it known to exist but the game isn't available to anyone outside of the one person who owns the known prototype.

it is a grey area I agree but if I'm looking to buy an undumped unreleased proto I would try to be dddddaaaaaaaaammmnnn well sure that it wasn't available anywhere on the internet before opening my wallet.If that means asking the seller if they have dumped the game at all and given it to anyone then so be it, comes with the territory I guess...?

Socks the cat for the SNES?  Is there any more info about this?

Can't help but be intrigued.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:04:25 AM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
I'd be curious what "serious offer" entails, at least for posterity's sake. The reason I ask is because Earthbound for NES, although it does have a few copies floating around (3?), has an even more rabid fanbase than Final Fantasy I think ($700 ruler anyone?). Yet, when the last time a proto for EB went at open auction, it only scored like $1500. I would expect  on the FF2 proto to go higher than that, but I'd think not by leaps and bounds. 2k-3k maybe, 4k tops at open auction? Speculation only, I know, but I'd love to hear some other opinions.

Edited: 03/19/2010 at 02:05 AM by removed-07-06-2016

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:14:08 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Most open auctions will get shut down before they close. Only real open auction that would stay up would be here, and there's not enough of a user base to make it worth it. But I'd say 3K might be a pretty fair offer for it, maybe more, maybe less. Frankly, it's a one of a kind piece that you'll never see again...I'd say it's worth the investment whatever the purchase price may be.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:21:47 PM
i2a2n2 (39)
Ontario
Originally posted by: the tall guy

Originally posted by: i2a2n2

Socks the cat for the SNES?  Is there any more info about this?

Can't help but be intrigued.

Socks the Cat Rocks the hill only known prototype is owned by someone who has posted already in this thread. not me unfortunately....

*paging a Mr Jason Wilson*

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:15:48 PM
The Hiryuu (73)
(Ben Somethingorother) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts

Oh, and it's not retarded (and it kinda gets my hackles up when someone calls something I've said retarded, even through the anonimity of the internet, so please don't do that).

That right there is retarded.

Evil, hell, satan, goat, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun

Mar 19, 2010 at 8:57:42 PM
portnoyd- (39)

(Stephen Colbert) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: qixmaster

com'n guys, you are both retarded.

Now say very very fast.

If you PM me, I will tell you to go away, especially if you're trying to mooch my games.

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:22:41 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
I can understand the assumption that it would take a few grand to pull this proto from a collector's hands, especially when they're not actively looking to sell, but I have a VERY tough time thinking this thing would hit anywhere near that at open auction.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...