Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew New SNES Game - Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death CollectorVision Games is releasing a new Super Nintendo Game.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:43:48 AM
Skorp (39)
(Bryan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Well, finally received it today. Been waiting forever to play this. Game is really fun. Does seem short, but hopefully the later levels are a little longer. The damn water drops are annoying lol. I'm on 4 right now.
I do have a question. I got the gold edition, but it didn't come numbered? Is anyone else's not numbered as well?

-------------------------
Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need two more:
              Diddy Kong Racing and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread|For Sale/Offer Thread

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:13:16 AM
acomicbookguyc (350)
(Cristian Romero ) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: Skorp

Well, finally received it today. Been waiting forever to play this. Game is really fun. Does seem short, but hopefully the later levels are a little longer. The damn water drops are annoying lol. I'm on 4 right now.
I do have a question. I got the gold edition, but it didn't come numbered? Is anyone else's not numbered as well?
Not numbered but I spoke with John at this Years Retro City Fest while he was down here promoting his games and he told me less than 150 were produced in the gold cart. The Kickstarter says 75 backers backed the gold cart so I'm not sure if they produced slightly more to sell but I really do like the quality.

Help me complete my N64 set!
225/296 Carts - 228/296 Manuals - 236/296 Boxes
http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:24:20 AM
Skorp (39)
(Bryan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Originally posted by: acomicbookguyc

Originally posted by: Skorp

Not numbered but I spoke with John at this Years Retro City Fest while he was down here promoting his games and he told me less than 150 were produced in the gold cart. The Kickstarter says 75 backers backed the gold cart so I'm not sure if they produced slightly more to sell but I really do like the quality.

Interesting. Hopefully that isn't the case. I did contact him on Kickstarter and he said they completely forgot. It was meant to be numbered, but with the excitement of everything, it just simply was forgotten. He also stated he assures me there are no more than 75 produced.

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:27:00 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
I discovered an interesting glitch in the SNES version of this game that allows Sydney to fall through lava. This works by taking damage from lava (when playing in easy mode, Sydney loses his hat and is granted invincibility until the collision detection flag clears) and falling through it. For a lava filled room on the bottom of the map this results in a game ending glitch where you cannot move (see attached photos).

In other circumstances, it allows you to explore the cave after it's been flooded by lava. Pretty cool if I do say so. I'm uploading a video to youtube atm. Hopefully if my internet holds (it's storming right now) it will be live soon.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 04/21/2018 at 09:35 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:11:15 AM
Svambo (2)

(Sv. Bo.) < Little Mac >
Germany
It's possible to fall through Lava in normal difficulty-level when you jump into it from a Screen above (not always but sometimes it works).
Also Lava doesn't effect enemies... Looks a bit strange when a frog jumps out of Lava or a bat flies through it ...

However: I really like the game. Happy it's finally released.

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:28:46 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
It is a very polished homebrew, one of the better ones I've seen IMO. I'm not sure a non-scrolling platformer would have worked on SNES back in the day, but it's a really great game and stands up today. I'm glad it's not spamming you with enemies like a lot of 16-bit platformers did.

Also people need to realize the game was developed on Colecovision before it was ported to other systems. I've been playing on my Super NT with hifi stereo speakers and the graphics and sound are phenomenal. Passwords are also simple and not long winded like a lot of titles. I still haven't finished round 6 yet. Need to find the idol first.  

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:11:02 PM
Svambo (2)

(Sv. Bo.) < Little Mac >
Germany
Kill a ghost ...

Apr 24, 2018 at 3:36:57 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Nice, you mapped out the whole level for me. I am still stuck on 6. Keep reaching the stalagmite without an object to place on the pedestal.  

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:48:42 AM
Svambo (2)

(Sv. Bo.) < Little Mac >
Germany
You have to kill a ghost for the pedestal with the idol to appear ...

Edited: 04/24/2018 at 06:53 AM by Svambo

Apr 24, 2018 at 7:14:38 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
I did not know you could kil them. I only whackecd him a couple times and jumped over his head.  

May 5, 2018 at 11:22:41 PM
KPE (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
I got ROM an label now thanks!

May 6, 2018 at 6:14:43 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: KPE

I got ROM an label now thanks!
Congrats man. Stealing is awesome. Let's all raise a congratulatory toast to you!    

I will say this... Super NT jb v6.5 gives a clean dump when set to 2M bytes. No, I will not share my "legal" backup because that would be "illegal", so don't ask.

Edited: 05/06/2018 at 06:15 PM by Kosmic StarDust

May 6, 2018 at 6:16:41 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Svambo

Kill a ghost ...

The vine climbing part where you race the rising lava at the end of each stage is a pain in the ass. I still haven't beaten stage 6 yet.  

Edited: 05/06/2018 at 06:17 PM by Kosmic StarDust

May 6, 2018 at 7:05:33 PM
KPE (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
Thanks ...not Stealing if own it  

May 6, 2018 at 10:13:55 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: KPE

Thanks ...not Stealing if own it  
The way you said it sounded like you were preparing to assemble a repro. Sorry for the confusion.  

May 7, 2018 at 12:06:47 AM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
You're over a year late.

May 7, 2018 at 1:07:33 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: bootload

You're over a year late.

How? Game came out for sale on the website last month.

May 7, 2018 at 8:22:54 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

You're over a year late.

Sorry, I got it wrong, it's almost 2.5 years late. I backed this project on Kickstarter in March of 2015 and it had an expected release date of January 2016 with the NES version coming December 2016. The SNES version just came out about 2 weeks ago.......it's depressing.

I'm so far out of this project I'm in another time zone. I'm out of time zones, if there were a meridian past Greenwich, I'd be beyond that.

https://www.kickstarter.com/proje...

Edited: 05/07/2018 at 08:23 PM by bootload

May 8, 2018 at 3:11:52 PM
Skorp (39)
(Bryan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Yeah, definitely one of the most 'failed' Kickstarters. It was my first Kickstarter ever and from that point, I had backed 20 others and received almost all of them before this one. I know some people have mentioned they have moved a least twice since then lol. Plus, they completely forgot to number all the gold editions. They offer to give a full refund to the gold backers, so that is good. Think I will return mine and go for a regular copy since I only got the gold version for its limited numbering. Game is pretty fun, so in all it was worth the wait for the gameplay.

Edited: 05/08/2018 at 03:12 PM by Skorp

May 9, 2018 at 1:21:28 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

You're over a year late.

Sorry, I got it wrong, it's almost 2.5 years late. I backed this project on Kickstarter in March of 2015 and it had an expected release date of January 2016 with the NES version coming December 2016. The SNES version just came out about 2 weeks ago.......it's depressing.

I'm so far out of this project I'm in another time zone. I'm out of time zones, if there were a meridian past Greenwich, I'd be beyond that.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/439982171/new-snes-game...

In other news, my Socks the Cat recently came in. Still waiting on several others. Unforunately I did not get to back Lizard or Sydney Hunter when they were going on, but I did buy the carts once available. I also backed Shantea Half Genie Hero and Yooka-Laylee and got both of those on Wii-U / Switch.

May 9, 2018 at 8:01:12 PM
drludos (0)

< Tourian Tourist >

In other news, my Socks the Cat recently came in. Still waiting on several others. Unforunately I did not get to back Lizard or Sydney Hunter when they were going on, but I did buy the carts once available. I also backed Shantea Half Genie Hero and Yooka-Laylee and got both of those on Wii-U / Switch.

I don't want to derail this thread, but what your feelings about Socks the Cat?
(gameplay wise, quality of box and cart, etc.)

It's cool that we got 2 new SNES homebrews (well technically one homebrew and one unreleased, but still) the same year  .
(and if everything goes right, I hope to be able to add another SNES release to this list before the years ends!)

Download ROMs of my games: https://drludos.itch.io/
Support my work and get access to betas and prototypes: https://www.patreon.com/drludos

May 10, 2018 at 12:52:03 AM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Originally posted by: drludos

It's cool that we got 2 new SNES homebrews (well technically one homebrew and one unreleased, but still) the same year  .
(and if everything goes right, I hope to be able to add another SNES release to this list before the years ends!)

There has been more than 1 homebrew SNES games released this year. A lot of them you don't even hear about.

May 10, 2018 at 7:46:21 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

I havent't really played it yet. It's not technically a homebrew. Like many Piko games, it was developed bitd and never released. Most 16-bit homebrew are 8-bit style games with upgraded graphics and sound. Much like early nes homebrew were Atari quslity nrom games, it wil be a few years before 16-bit homebrews reach parity with period releases.

May 10, 2018 at 10:05:16 AM
Svambo (2)

(Sv. Bo.) < Little Mac >
Germany

There has been more than 1 homebrew SNES games released this year. A lot of them you don't even hear about.

Other homebrew releases for the SNES in 2018? Can you name some?

Last things I heard of are some japanese re-releases and the Super Turrican directors cut ... but I don't know of any homebrew releases...

May 14, 2018 at 7:33:02 PM
drludos (0)

< Tourian Tourist >
I was counting "Socks the Cat" in the homebrew list. You can now add the recently announced Fork Parker Crunch Out: https://megacatstudios.com/produc...

And as I said, I'm currently working on a SNES homebrew too. I'll post a release thread here when the game is complete  
(software-wise it's complete, we are now working on the "hardware" part (PCB, manual, box, etc.).

So, all-in-all, we will have something like 3 or 4 "new" (homebrew+unreleased) games on SNES this year, not counting all the re-editions (MMX, SF2, Jaleco Brawler Pack, Joe & Mac Pack, etc.). All-in-all, it's not a bad year I think.

Download ROMs of my games: https://drludos.itch.io/
Support my work and get access to betas and prototypes: https://www.patreon.com/drludos