Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Stadium Events found in the wild tell me this isn't a dream

Aug 27 at 2:09:52 AM
Filter81 (1)

< Tourian Tourist >
Congrats!!! What a cool find!! Also very cool that you found it in Montreal. I recently got a Sticker CIB Super Mario Bros US version that was confirmed purchased new in Montreal. I don't know a ton about NES history but there must have been U.S. games available somewhere in Montreal back when they were originally being released.

Edited: 08/27/2019 at 02:23 AM by Filter81

Aug 27 at 2:58:07 AM
dewisp02 (78)
(Mr. Jason) < Ridley Wrangler >
Indiana
Amazing!! Congrats!! This is the only situation I can see playing out where I would actually complete my NES set.

-------------------------

WANTED NES: BoxBomberman II, Bubble Bobble 2, Chubby Cherub, Color A Dinosaur, Pro Sport Hockey, Volleyball
                      Manual- Dragon Fighter, Jetson's, Operation Secret Storm, SCAT, Stack Up, Stinger, Sword Master
                      Manual and Box- Arkanoid, Jimmy Connor's Tennis, Little Ninja Brothers, Mickey in Numberland, Sqoon

Aug 27 at 4:13:25 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

If SE was visible in the picture, you'd think people would be coming out of the woodwork offering $150-$200, at least, sight unseen, to stave off other buyers at the original price.

That’s what I said. 

It’s crazy no one offered $50+ more than the original price. I have no idea how that did not happen. 

It was was meant to be. What else can you say?

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Aug 27 at 4:18:47 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Just seems insane that they'd flip something for so little money with so little research.

If they only paid 20 bucks for it wherever they got it, they're probably still thrilled.

Then we're talking about a unicorn-copy of Stadium Events in Canada that changed hands not once but multiple times in short-order after it has had years of online publicity with major news stories to be sold by sellers who are of an age that should imply competence with online search engines and eBay.

Like I said... insane.

Probably just thought it was a dumb sports game. I'm actually more surprised that it was only listed at $100 with Battletoads and Contra (along with other games) rather than them skipping over SE. I bet they found it down the street earlier that morning at a yard sale for $50 or less and just wanted a quick flip to double their money and get another few packs of cigs. Again, I'm still shocked OP was able to pick it up without someone from an hour or two away that wouldn't spoil it just because they knew they'd never get there in time to buy it. That to me is truly the insane part.

I wonder if it was semi hot? Like, they found it. Perhaps all the messages spooked them and they didn’t read them all? Still the guy was trying to hook it up lol testing it to make sure it works doesn’t really fit with the etiquette in that scenario. 

Aug 27 at 4:22:42 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Also the language thing might have saved the op. They spoke a hillbilly French if I'm translating correctly what the op describes.

Aug 27 at 8:23:43 AM
NES Connoisseur (0)
(Nintendo Enthusiast ) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
Congrats man ..That certainly is an awesome birthday gift to yourself ,even if you are selling it .Might I suggest you get the cart graded by Wata before you sell it ,you probably will get more money for it ..In any event once again Congrats man !

Edited: 08/27/2019 at 08:24 AM by NES Connoisseur

Aug 27 at 9:28:10 AM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Friendsfa26

Originally posted by: Prime2099

Congrats! Hopefully the people who missed out don't tell the lady what it was worth and then they try to get a hold of you saying you scammed them.

if they don't do the research before selling, and they asked a 100 dollars for the ENTIRE lot they were offering,
and the buyer pays them the 100 dollars asking price....
then, NOBODY got scammed....

it is not the buyers fault, if the seller later finds out that 1 of the games they had is worth big moneyz...
all they had to do before selling was a quick google search "Nitender tape Stadium Events"

No one said the seller was scammed.  Prime's concern appears to be more along the lines of the seller might realize their mistake, and lie about what happened to make it appear they were scammed, which is a concern I would have as well. 

Congrat's OP.  I'm surprised that something like this can still happen, and even more surprised that this thread has been mostly congratulatory and isn't a shit show.  

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Aug 27 at 9:41:21 AM
NES Connoisseur (0)
North Carolina
The OP clearly did not "scam"the seller ..The fact the seller did not know what they had ,it is a case of seller's remorse ..I am not in the business of giving away my knowledge,it's the seller's responsibility to do their research to discover the value of something..It's one thing if you "lowball"an already good deal on an otherwise expensive item ,it's something else that I give the seller exactly what they want for an item ..In the latter case I do not feel bad if the seller did not know what they had ,that's their problem the way I see it .But that's just me ..

Aug 27 at 9:57:07 AM
WhyNotZoidberg (5)
(Julien ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
Originally posted by: The Count

I don't suppose it's possible you could post the picture from the listing? That would be neat to see.

Sure thing.

Picture 1: this was the main pic for the ad

Picture 2: this is the lot. Isn't it hilarious that such a collectible treasure is just lying there, looking snug (and smug) between Ice Hockey and Taboo?

Aug 27 at 10:03:12 AM
WhyNotZoidberg (5)
Quebec
Originally posted by: klv123

Very Nice, but did you get to finish your hot dog?

Yes. on the way back haha. Was cold. Beer was still good tho. About 20 minutes went between me asking if the lot was available and me coming back with it.

Aug 27 at 10:08:33 AM
WhyNotZoidberg (5)
Quebec
Originally posted by: 98ViperGTS

The fact that this went under the radar and was found In Canada is insanity. And in a city. Congrats. I sent a prospective buyer your way earlier today when I saw it on Facebook. Hope it pans out for you. Cheers

You know, the Montreal and NY markets might have been connected in the early years of the NES' retail life. We're only a few hours away from NY and Vermont by car. But yeah, how this cart made its way in the eastern end of Montreal only to be found and sold by a pair of los tabarnakos is a tale we'll never hear told.

Aug 27 at 10:14:22 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: WhyNotZoidberg

The fact that this went under the radar and was found In Canada is insanity. And in a city. Congrats. I sent a prospective buyer your way earlier today when I saw it on Facebook. Hope it pans out for you. Cheers

You know, the Montreal and NY markets might have been connected in the early years of the NES' retail life. We're only a few hours away from NY and Vermont by car. But yeah, how this cart made its way in the eastern end of Montreal only to be found and sold by a pair of los tabarnakos is a tale we'll never hear told.

I could imagine someone drove down to buy a system during the initial release.

How many (and which) games are -CAN code?  or are they all USA-origin games?

Aug 27 at 10:23:02 AM
WhyNotZoidberg (5)
Quebec

I could imagine someone drove down to buy a system during the initial release.

How many (and which) games are -CAN code?  or are they all USA-origin games?

Or just tourism really. In the 80s it was quite easy to cross the borders between our countries. Add to that the fact that Maine, Vermont and New York were and still are very popular vacation destinations for Quebec residents and there you have it.

But even distribution for retail was probably connected. It makes no sense to send two different freights wether by boat, train or plain to two markets so close to one another. They probably just sent everything to NY and it got distributed from there.

Aug 27 at 10:28:37 AM
Strikezone1 (1)
(Steve ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan

Picture 2: this is the lot. Isn't it hilarious that such a collectible treasure is just lying there, looking snug (and smug) between Ice Hockey and Taboo?

Just the far-and-away most rare lisenced release NES game chillin' with a bunch of very common games.  

Congrats! Score of a lifetime, and great story to go along with it. Thanks for sharing, love reading this type of stuff.

Aug 27 at 10:43:17 AM
TheArcadeGeek (25)
< Crack Trooper >
Texas
Nice score man! Another part of this that is so crazy is that most of the other games are oval seals, so clearly were bought years later than the SE.

Aug 27 at 10:45:04 AM
Nightowljrm (42)
(Joseph Morgan) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
Holy crap, congrats!

Aug 27 at 10:56:48 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Strikezone1

Just the far-and-away most rare lisenced release NES game chillin' with a bunch of very common games.  

Congrats! Score of a lifetime, and great story to go along with it. Thanks for sharing, love reading this type of stuff.

I dunno. You don't see Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout every day.  

Athletic World suggests they bought it, Stadium Events, and the FFF Pad at the same time. And then the kids played with it once and stuck it under the couch for twenty years.

Aug 27 at 12:19:55 PM
Prime2099 (25)

(Matt C.) < El Ripper >
Maryland
Originally posted by: TDIRunner

Originally posted by: Friendsfa26

Originally posted by: Prime2099

Congrats! Hopefully the people who missed out don't tell the lady what it was worth and then they try to get a hold of you saying you scammed them.

if they don't do the research before selling, and they asked a 100 dollars for the ENTIRE lot they were offering,
and the buyer pays them the 100 dollars asking price....
then, NOBODY got scammed....

it is not the buyers fault, if the seller later finds out that 1 of the games they had is worth big moneyz...
all they had to do before selling was a quick google search "Nitender tape Stadium Events"

No one said the seller was scammed.  Prime's concern appears to be more along the lines of the seller might realize their mistake, and lie about what happened to make it appear they were scammed, which is a concern I would have as well. 

Congrat's OP.  I'm surprised that something like this can still happen, and even more surprised that this thread has been mostly congratulatory and isn't a shit show.  

Thank you, that's exactly what I was going for. Not trying to cause drama or anything.

Aug 27 at 12:24:17 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
Am I the only person here that wouldn't sell it?

Aug 27 at 12:25:43 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: TheArcadeGeek

Nice score man! Another part of this that is so crazy is that most of the other games are oval seals, so clearly were bought years later than the SE.

Looks about half and half to me

Aug 27 at 12:33:53 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: bootload

I'm sure anyone going for a full set or specifically wants/collects rare pieces wouldn't, either.

I can't see anyone else keeping it, though.

Aug 27 at 12:41:51 PM
TDIRunner (17)
(Jon ) < King Solomon >
Illinois

I doubt it.  There are lots of people here who would love to have it. 

For me personally, since I have no desire to go for a full NES set, it would make a lot more sense to sell it for a large profit.  I find owning Stadium Events to be pointless if you don't have a full set.  But again, that's me and not a knock on anyone who owns it.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Edited: 08/27/2019 at 02:09 PM by TDIRunner

Aug 27 at 1:12:41 PM
NES Connoisseur (0)
North Carolina
I only collect what interests me ..Obtaining a full NES set does not interest me ,nor does owning SE ..So if I were lucky enough to find one in the wild ,I would hold on to it for a week to say I had it .Than I would sell it ..

Aug 27 at 1:13:29 PM
NESDJ (15)
< Crack Trooper >
Ohio
I love it. Congrats!

Aug 27 at 1:14:02 PM
WhyNotZoidberg (5)
Quebec

If I had my kept my NES collection (sold off 150ish games I had around the time the NES Classic came out) I'd've kept it. But now as a standalone trophy it's not much use to me. I had the thrill of catching it, getting my scrupulous hands on it and then releasing it for a decent ransom (details to come). The whole experience feels like a blessing and that's enough for me. That's the way Game Chasin' go.