Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What about Crash N' the Boys Ice Challenge?

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:21:07 PM
Fantomex (216)
(Chris Z) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
I know I've asked Dream about this prototype but i can't remember what he said other than he doesn't have it.   So i figured I would just post here and see if anyone else has any info on where it could be.  Crash N' the Boys Street Challenge is one of my all time favorite NES games and from the first day my brother and I played it seeing "Coming Soon! Crash N' The Boys Ice Challenge!" at the end, ive been waiting for it. Im not 100% but i believe the repro game ICE ICE Challenge (or something like that) is the same game, but i mean is there a Crash n the boys version out there anywhere, like with the title screen and all.  If at all possible i would love to see this game made into a repro.  I mean this had to have been very close to being released.  They had box art and all.  I got this from a guy on ebay.  Don't really know the background of it, he said he got it at E3, not to sure how true that is.  but check it out, ill have to scan it then so you can read it.

-------------------------

Feb 16, 2010 at 1:00:01 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
I have a Crash N' the Boys Ice Challenge NTSC prototype, but it's nothing to get excited about unfortunately. The game appears to be identical to the Famicom release, and has no apparent translations made. The title is still Ike Ike Hockey. The hacked translation is actually a better representation of what the game should have looked like than the prototype believe it or not.

It's too bad that Technos didn't go through with the release as it would have kicked major ass. The Basketball title would have been sure to follow. I heard that the poor sales from "Street Challenge" put an end to the release, although I could be wrong.

Feb 16, 2010 at 1:24:08 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Here is a pic of the proto Matt and I own:

Super fun game and an absolute shame it never made it to the US. I've heard rumors of partially translated protos with what appear to be arbitrary amounts of the game translated (like "apparently one version is 70% translated!" Who comes up with these percentages all the time?), though I don't think I've seen an actual proto other than the one we own.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Feb 16, 2010 at 2:34:22 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
I feel like I have a ROM of this that appears to be fully translated. Might just be a fan translation though or something.

Let's Go Penguins!

Feb 16, 2010 at 2:39:59 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: dr.robbie

I feel like I have a ROM of this that appears to be fully translated. Might just be a fan translation though or something.

I'm pretty sure that the rom is a fan translation.  It's available at some repro sites too.

Feb 16, 2010 at 2:55:28 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Yeah, it's just a translation. The patch (not the ROM) for the translation can be found here: http://www.romhacking.net/trans/2...

Frank has written cryptically in the past ( http://forums.lostlevels.org/view... ) about 2 protos, though I have seen no mention of owners, completeness, or any follow up regarding these 2 possible protos. I'm pretty positive a fully translated proto ROM has not been released.

Photobucket

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:08:29 PM
Fantomex (216)
(Chris Z) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
I'm normally not into the whole proto thing and finding whats where and what happened to what but this is one game i really want to find. If anyone has any kind of info on who has the most translated version. Please let me know. Or if they can find a rom thats translated as Crash n the Boys. I really want this on cart.

Feb 16, 2010 at 4:18:47 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
NESreproductions sells repros of what they call Ice Ice Hockey Challenge: http://www.nesreproductions.com/...

As far as who has the most translated version, again all info seems to point to hearsay or cryptic messages. I'm sure someone can chime in and "confirm" that they "know" of a proto existing in this or that stage of development, but I have yet to see any photo evidence of another Crash and the Boys Ice Challenge proto than the one that I currently own.

Photobucket

Edited: 02/16/2010 at 04:19 PM by MrMark0673

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:49:01 PM
Limbofunk (160)
(Otto Man) < King Solomon >
New York
Ah, you're the dork that bought that :-p

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:08:16 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Limbofunk

Ah, you're the dorks that bought that :-p

Fixed

I bought it through a private deal.  Was it on the open market at one point?

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:38:54 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

Yeah, it's just a translation. The patch (not the ROM) for the translation can be found here: http://www.romhacking.net/trans/224/

Frank has written cryptically in the past ( http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?t=25&highlig... ) about 2 protos, though I have seen no mention of owners, completeness, or any follow up regarding these 2 possible protos. I'm pretty positive a fully translated proto ROM has not been released.

For the record, that was nearly seven years ago and even I don't know what I was talking about anymore.

Feb 16, 2010 at 9:40:10 PM
marvelus10 (46)

( . ) Boobies ( . ) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Sorry to jack the thread but what would be the real Japanese to English translation of the game title be? Is it Go Go Nekketu Hockey Multi Sport Challenge or is it Ice Ice Hockey Challenge? Or is it something completely different and if so can someone tell me.
Thank you

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:31:07 AM
DreamTR (163)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
There is a second that is a bit more translated but is currently MIA at the moment...

www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:11:26 AM
Herbalist (139)
(Bill Brasky) < King Solomon >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: marvelus10

Sorry to jack the thread but what would be the real Japanese to English translation of the game title be? Is it Go Go Nekketu Hockey Multi Sport Challenge or is it Ice Ice Hockey Challenge? Or is it something completely different and if so can someone tell me.
Thank you

famicom version is "Ike Ike! Nekketsu Hockey-bu: Subette Koronde Dairantou"

Feb 17, 2010 at 10:27:18 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: DreamTR

There is a second that is a bit more translated but is currently MIA at the moment...

I've heard about the "40% translated version" several times, but no evidence of it existing.  One story says it is in a collector's hands, another that it was seen and played at CES.

Eh, until I see or hear something about a more complete version with a little more concrete info, I'm passing it off as a ghost story.  I know a more translated version was reviewed, and I'm confident that a more translated version was shown at a CES, but I'm not convinced said prototype(s) are in a collector's hands.

Photobucket

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:03:32 PM
DreamTR (163)
Tennessee
MrMark, it's not a ghost story. I know the guy that has it. He lost a lot of stuff from moves/storage and his "main" protos went to a friend for safe keeping (the ones he did not sell to me). But said friend lost these. Ufouria NTSC, Over Horizon NTSC, Dracula X SNES, Virtual FIshing Japanese VBOY, and Crash Ice Challenge were among those missing.

I can't even count how much stuff I got from this guy over the years, but those were the only things he was holding on to that just happened to end up getting misplaced as of late, but he's definitely not full of shit about those.

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:08:54 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
I'm assuming you're not referring to NESGod, right?

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:24:46 PM
DreamTR (163)
Tennessee
No, most of the protos NES God received are FROM me to begin with. I sold him 50 or so in one lot. That Ike Ike game you purchased came from the archives of VG&CE Magazine...

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:40:05 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
Massachusetts
So let's group the information together for the thread starter:

- There is another proto of this game out there
- The completeness of it is unknown
- There are no readily available photographs of the cart, or any pics of the game in action
- The owner of the cart is a secret
- It's whereabouts are currently unknown even to the current secret owner
- Dream sold a whole bunch of protos to NES God, not the other way round (!)

Mystery solved! On a serious note, this is the type of info that gets dug up like the 7 year old Lost Levels thread that don't shed a whole lot of light on the game.

Oh well, I tried to give all of the info I could. Good luck hunting down a more complete version Fantomex!

Photobucket

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:43:45 PM
DreamTR (163)
Tennessee
I had too many proto doubles =P he bought those YEARS ago off me, though...

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:53:43 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: DreamTR

I had too many proto doubles =P he bought those YEARS ago off me, though...

From what I've seen of both of your list, he has numerous prototypes that you don't own.  It doesn't appear as though that they all came from you...

I digress though.  This thread is about Ice Challenge, so I'm sorry it got so side-tracked (although I would be lying if I were to say that I'm surprised that it did).

If anyone has anything that they can actually add to the conversation, I would love to hear it.  Cryptic conversation is a big part of why I collect prototypes.  I don't see the point in being tight lipped on this stuff.  It just takes away from the factual information and adds to the cool-kids club aura that comes with prototype collecting.

Instead of nonstop ego stroking, why don't you point us in the right direction of some tangible information.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:18:17 PM
DreamTR (163)
Tennessee

That's not my complete list you have of my stuff, though. He didn't get all of them from me, but he did get 90% of them from me, and yes, he does have some protos that I don't, but it's a handful at best.

Ego stroking? You're kidding me, right? I don't exactly go on every thread talking about what I have that others do not. Not sure where this is coming from again, but I have a right to keep my sources secret of who owns what. I make one joking remark saying I had "too many doubles" with a =P and that means I'm trying to stroke my ego? That's pretty funny.

Information and contacts are usually kept confidential and I DID provide tangible information. Obviously more about the prototype (not the gameplay) than you guys knew in that sense, but out of respect for the person who owns I don't see a reason why I should reveal a name, that's a bit ridiculous if you ask me. I don't have it, and it's MIA at the moment, but he's handed over plenty of stuff to me.

The topic at hand is what I was referring to. If was ego stroking I would make threads about every single purchase and find I have but I don't so I would appreciate it if you would tone this down because I did provide information in regards to this but there is no need for you guys to have a "name." That's like us asking jollerancher to give us the name of the ex-Nintendo guy he got all his stuff from. Makes no sense.

Just don't get why this can never be civil, lol

Edited: 02/17/2010 at 03:27 PM by DreamTR

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:33:38 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
The ego thing was in reference to the fact that every thread you post in you feel the need to mention that you own, owned, or sold something. Read over your post lately, they're all the same. NWC Gold, SE, protos, etc. Bronty just mentioned you sounding like a broken record in a thread early today, so I know I'm not alone.

The list I have actually has a number of games that you've sold. If anything it's more games than you actually own.  I'm sure you don't make the list public for two reasons: You want to maintain the sigma that you have this infinite amount of NES prototypes, and you don't want me/others beating you to the punch again.

As for keeping sources secret, I'm guilty of that as well. The difference is that I don't need to dick-wave it constantly. You worked in the industry and you have sources, we get it. Instead I make finds post and share the information with the community. I'll be posting another thread with 8 more prototypes this week in fact (trying to get some ego stroking of my own in here ).   Often times tact goes a lot further than knowing the right people.  I can think of an instance where someone sold me the game instead of yourself due to the way you conduct yourself here.  It happened.

You're story has been the same for years now, so no use in me talking about it once again. You talk about yourself to the point it's nauseating/condescending, and then tell the mods they should lock things up when people come down on you. After the New Kids debacle I've noticed plenty of old-schoolers jumping off the Dream band wagon though. It's about time.

*Edit:  I noticed the note about be civil that you added at the end there.  It's not like I'm being cut throat, so relax with the victim card.  It's post, after post, after post, of the the same stuff.  Civilness aside: my God man, don't you ever get tired of talking about yourself?

Edited: 02/17/2010 at 03:41 PM by BeaglePuss

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:39:30 PM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

I don't need to dick-wave

That's a hilarious set of words right there.  I just got a flash in my head of one of those flasher guys in a trench-coat on a street corner. 

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:40:41 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: nesguy

Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

I don't need to dick-wave

That's a hilarious set of words right there.  I just got a flash in my head of one of those flasher guys in a trench-coat on a street corner. 

*Grabs trench-coat and heads for the square.