Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sega Master System Weekly Contest Round 2: Fantasy Zone: The Maze Ends 12/10/17 11:00 PM NA Time - UPDATE: Winner chooses a game for the contest

Dec 3, 2017 at 11:03:16 AM
Red (80)
(Green Blue) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Hello and welcome to the second round of the first Sega Master System Weekly Contest!  This week's game is Fantasy Zone: The Maze.  While Fantasy Zone 1 and 2 are shooters, this game more closely resembles Pac-Man.  Collect all the coins to clear each round and use those coins to purchase power-ups.  Be sure to spend wisely!  Power-ups are temporary and become more expensive every time you buy them.  If you buy too many power-ups early on, they will become unaffordable late in the game.

Rules:

-1 player only
-Start at Plaleaf (round 1)
-Play until Game Over
-Highest score wins

For general contest rules, click here:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Good luck and have fun!

Update: The schedule has been updated and now has 9 of the 10 games posted.  I have 7 more games ready to go with rules made, but I can't decided which one to use.  To make this week more interesting, I'm going to let the winner choose which of the 7 games will be played.  The winner will get 24 hours to make a choice and the schedule will be finalized Monday night (I may shuffle a few games around so two games of the same genre aren't played in a row).

SCOREBOARD:

1st: mbd39 (202,640)
2nd: laddersandcakes (107,300)
3rd: ninjistar (102,790)
4th: bimmy_lee (96,740)
5th: Bea_Iank (77,660)
6th:
7th:
8th:

Edited: 12/10/2017 at 11:02 PM by Red

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:12:52 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

-------------------------
Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Edited: 12/08/2017 at 04:39 PM by mbd39

Dec 3, 2017 at 5:55:25 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Nice, another shopping game

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Edited: 12/03/2017 at 05:55 PM by Krunch

Dec 4, 2017 at 12:42:08 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan

A starting score for me.  I'm sure I can improve on this.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Dec 4, 2017 at 2:47:15 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Now I realize how to play this. I should be able to get a much higher score.

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:45:44 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Is using the everdrive on a genesis okay to play in the SMS contests? Obviously some games won't work, but idk if there's anything inherently different than using OG hardware or emulation.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:14:47 AM
Red (80)
United States
Originally posted by: dra600n

Is using the everdrive on a genesis okay to play in the SMS contests? Obviously some games won't work, but idk if there's anything inherently different than using OG hardware or emulation.

I'm not very knowledgeable in that sort of thing.  Would it be the same as using a Power Base Converter?  If so, I think it would be okay.

Edited: 12/05/2017 at 11:49 AM by Red

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:45:28 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Red

I'm not very knowledgable in that sort of thing.  Would it be the same as using a Power Base Converter?  If so, I think it would be okay.

I believe it would be the same. Cool, if that changes, let me know!

Dec 6, 2017 at 12:45:33 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
This game has some catchy tunes. I like the music.

EDIT:

This is a heck of a lot of fun for a Pac-Man clone. Too bad more people aren't playing.

Edited: 12/06/2017 at 04:05 PM by mbd39

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:09:30 PM
Red (80)
United States
Originally posted by: mbd39

EDIT:

This is a heck of a lot of fun for a Pac-Man clone. Too bad more people aren't playing.

Glad you're enjoying it!

In an attempt to make this week more interesting, I'm going to allow the winner to choose a game for this contest.  See the first post for details.

Dec 8, 2017 at 4:41:15 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

EDIT:

Glad you're enjoying it!

In an attempt to make this week more interesting, I'm going to allow the winner to choose a game for this contest.  See the first post for details.

I think I'm done. By round 29 the enemies were getting ridiculous. Let's see if anyone beats my score.

It doesn't even matter how much money you have when the weapons available for purchase are crap, lol.

Edited: 12/08/2017 at 04:43 PM by mbd39

Dec 8, 2017 at 4:43:35 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
I will give this a try on an emulator this weekend.
I never played this game before.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Dec 8, 2017 at 4:47:45 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

It's fairly easy for the genre. If you can do Trog and Clu Clu Land, this should be cake.

Dec 8, 2017 at 7:28:12 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Yeah, Bea, I'm betting this is the type of game you'd be able to sink your analytical mind and cyborg fingers into and wring out like a trillion points. 

That said, here's my meager score! Consoles are in the new apartment and set up, by and large, and luckily I had no issues playing this game on my Genesis. I'm not a super fan of maze games, generally, but this one and Trog seem pretty fun (for the genre) from the little I've played of both. I'll try to play this one a few more times before Sunday to see if I can compete. I think I could at least crack six figs (edit: I did!) if I just put an ounce more time into it. Ha, excuse my ghetto Target receipt with my name on it; the cardstock thing is at the former residence still. 

Update: 107,300

Edited: 12/08/2017 at 10:52 PM by laddersandcakes

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:01:21 PM
Red (80)
United States

I think I'm done. By round 29 the enemies were getting ridiculous. Let's see if anyone beats my score.

It doesn't even matter how much money you have when the weapons available for purchase are crap, lol.

I think all the weapons can be useful, you just have to buy them at the right time.  I usually only buy the shot, beams, and bombs if the smaller enemies were able to spawn or if I need to destroy a larger one to prevent the smaller ones from spawning.  In some levels, I think it's best to just hang around the hole and only collect a few coins at a time before returning.  The Big Wing is useful when you're doing this.  You'll usually miss out on the time bonus though.  Top Powers are very expensive, so I try not to buy them until I'm at least half way through the game (there are 51 rounds).

Edited: 12/08/2017 at 09:25 PM by Red

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:53:10 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I think all the weapons can be useful, you just have to buy them at the right time.  I usually only buy the shot, beams, and bombs if the smaller enemies were able to spawn or if I need to destroy a larger one to prevent the smaller ones from spawning.  In some levels, I think it's best to just hang around the hole and only collect a few coins at a time before returning.  The Big Wing is useful when you're doing this.  You'll usually miss out on the time bonus though.  Top Powers are very expensive, so I try not to buy them until I'm at least half way through the game (there are 51 rounds).

Yeah, it's best to not depend on that weapon too much, especially early on, or you'll soon run out of money.

Have you ever gotten the 20k time bonus? The highest I've gotten is 10k and even that is rare.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:01:18 PM
Red (80)
United States

Yeah, it's best to not depend on that weapon too much, especially early on, or you'll soon run out of money.

Have you ever gotten the 20k time bonus? The highest I've gotten is 10k and even that is rare.

I haven't.  I'm guessing you have to play in 2-player mode to beat a stage that fast.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:54:05 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Score updated. Yeah, I've never gotten even the 10k bonus on time. I can feel the tug of war y'all are talking about. You can blow your wad super early on the fireball power, but then it's not like it hurts you too much when that basically seems to stop appearing as the stages progress.

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:10:37 PM
Red (80)
United States
Originally posted by: laddersandcakes

Score updated. Yeah, I've never gotten even the 10k bonus on time. I can feel the tug of war y'all are talking about. You can blow your wad super early on the fireball power, but then it's not like it hurts you too much when that basically seems to stop appearing as the stages progress.
They continue to appear throughout the game.  I'm pretty sure every planet has at least one round where it is available.

Dec 8, 2017 at 11:45:56 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia

Originally posted by: laddersandcakes

They continue to appear throughout the game.  I'm pretty sure every planet has at least one round where it is available.

Yeah, it's not gone completely, but in the early parts of the game, it's there a lot. You're right, though.

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:08:04 PM
Red (80)
United States
Originally posted by: Krunch

A little under 24 hours left.  Don't forget to post a score!

Dec 10, 2017 at 7:44:41 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Working on Super Bases Loaded right now, but I will post a score in this evening before Capcom Cup SFV Top 8 starts.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:25:31 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
I was just asking for future games  

Dec 10, 2017 at 4:32:20 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California

Originally posted by: Krunch

This is totally me this week. I started playing last Sunday and the week got away from me. I've been digging into Master System games (and buying whatever games I can find for it). I have this one on the way, but not in time to play on the original hardware. I did manage to dig out my SMS console, clean it up, and verify it's working!

DOOOOO DOOOOOOOOOOOO

On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:45:00 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Only had the time to do a single run tonight.
Participation it is. Not too shabby of a game.

Edited: 12/10/2017 at 05:45 PM by Bea_Iank