Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Major League" for Famicom Why does this exist and what is it?

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:37:41 AM
Sportsplosion (1)
(Nathaniel Edwards) < Tourian Tourist >
Illinois

So I found out this existed the other day, and let's just say I am very, very curious about this game. Released only in Japan, this is not that crappy game "Major League Baseball," but a decent baseball game with tons of silly animations that is apparently licensed from the famous-ish Charlie Sheen film, "Major League." Through playing just a bit of a ROM it doesn't seem that this game has much to do with the film besides including the logo on the start screen, but... Why only in Japan? Why license the game at all? I guess the movie was big in Japan?

Anyway, I'm having a hard time googling this game, so I can't find any info, and I was wondering if anybody else could help learn the story behind this game. All the websites I find either just say it exists or at most provide one or two screenshots, so I'm at a loss. 

-------------------------

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:35:24 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Strange. Originally, I thought it must be a hack. The only thing I could find is this, but it doesnt really tell anything new..

http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/57949...

Sep 3, 2011 at 3:51:31 PM
Sportsplosion (1)
(Nathaniel Edwards) < Tourian Tourist >
Illinois
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-...

There's one on eBay. I don't know enough about Famicom to know if this looks like a pirate or whatever, but it is at least in a real cartridge of some kind here.

Sep 3, 2011 at 4:36:56 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
Just played it, and I swear I've seen that gameplay screen in another game. Maybe it was its self, but I am not sure...pretty good though, just played.

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:36:47 PM
buttheadrulesagain (20)
(Jorge Juarez) < King Solomon >
Mexico
another one that is very strange in the same way is the Labyrinth game for Famicom. Yes, it was based on the movie with David Bowie and Jennifer Connely. WHY does it exist and only in Japan????

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:03:50 AM
strassy (1)
(Strassy Strassy) < Cherub >
Illinois
Originally posted by: 3GenGames

Just played it, and I swear I've seen that gameplay screen in another game. Maybe it was its self, but I am not sure...pretty good though, just played.

did you play a cart of it, or a ROM?  if it was a ROM, please post the gameplay screen.  if it was a cart, please describe.  I am very curious about this!

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:41:30 AM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Here's a screenshot. I don't recognize it as any USA game.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion