Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

For those who work with Goo Gone all the time... ...Have your fingernails been damaged?

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:52:06 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
I've used Goo Gone for the longest time to remove stickers, but in recent years I really put the stuff to heavy usage as I have been cleaning all my games even the tiniest residues. Well, I always thought that Goo Gone is non-toxic for some reason. Well, one day I was using it and my wife said it smelled badly and I said, "nah it's non toxic, just a citrus scent." She replied that the stuff IS TOXIC and proceeded to show me the ingredients. Well, turns out she is right. It's not poisonous, but it definitely isn't "non toxic", maybe somewhere between.

Well, in the last year, my fingernails have been showing some signs of damage, such as ripple marks and rough surface. I saw my doctor a while back and he said it's nothing to worry about and could have been from anything, even stress! Well, after the conversation with my wife and realizing I didn't use to use Goo Gone so excessively, I am beginning to think that's what has caused my nail damage since I'd work with it for a while at a time with it on my skin, especially in my nails as I would scrape off a sticker that had been soaking in Goo Gone.

I'd like to know if anyone else who uses Goo Gone a LOT can tell me their experience. And for those who use it a lot, do you work with gloves or anything?

What better place to bring this up than a forum where 100's of others probably sulk in this stuff the way I do!

Edited: 01/03/2014 at 03:53 PM by XYZ

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:53:46 PM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois
We use Zippo or Ronson lighter fluid in our shop. Don't know if it's any better but we've been using it for years and haven't had any problems yet. The goo gone just always irritated us.

It works really well!

-------------------------

Edited: 01/03/2014 at 03:54 PM by Darth Vader

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:55:38 PM
Space Jockey (145)
( Xenomorph ) < King Solomon >
Washington
It's not been a problem for me, and I've been using it for 6-7 years. I tend to use a rag most of the time though, with only using my fingernail for the stubborn stuff.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7855-4097-7884

Originally posted by: Space Jockey
Originally posted by: Guntz
On a more serious note, I've played EarthBound today for so long, I feel all tense and mentally worn out.
Then you called your mother and felt better?

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:59:45 PM
th0rpe (36)
(JT ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
No, I use a LOT of it at work, and 6 years later no problems. It does dry your skin out though.

There is an alternative to goo gone, and I implore you to use it. Instead of a harsh chemical, use a all natural, non aerosol, citrus based air freshener. I personally us it to clean everything, and it takes residue off better than industrial strength Goof-off. Its seriously a miracle cleaner, and at $2 a can you cant go wrong. Trust me, this is what you want to use. If youd like a picture of what i use i can post one.,

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:03:52 PM
DMG (47)
(Dustin G.) < Kraid Killer >
Germany
All I can say is that we used to have a compound exact to that of Goo Gone in our hospital to remove residue of medical strips on patients. After a short test phase we found out that a lot of patients got skin irritations when exposed to the compound, even though the supplier promised it safe for skin and surfaces. It even stated so on the bottles. Now it only states for use on surfaces. I use it on carts every now and then, but also find lighter fluid a lot better lately.

Personally, I never noticed any irritations on my skin. I work with gloves at work, but even at home I never noticed any thing.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:04:14 PM
dewisp02 (78)
(Mr. Jason) < Ridley Wrangler >
Indiana
Yeah, goo gone is probably 90[or so]% petroleum distillates with the rest being ether [well a form of it] and citrus extracts. The petroleum distillates could slightly absorb into your skin [also strips the oils off your skin causing your skin to dry out], and the ether could irritate your eyes, but that would be about it. Have a picture of your fingernails?

WANTED NES: BoxBomberman II, Bubble Bobble 2, Chubby Cherub, Color A Dinosaur, Pro Sport Hockey, Volleyball
                      Manual- Dragon Fighter, Jetson's, Operation Secret Storm, SCAT, Stack Up, Stinger, Sword Master
                      Manual and Box- Arkanoid, Jimmy Connor's Tennis, Little Ninja Brothers, Mickey in Numberland, Sqoon

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:04:39 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
Thorpe, yes. please post a picture or brand name, where I can buy it, sounds awesome......... and won't irritate my skin like GG does. I forgot to mention GG also makes my eyes watery/itch if I am exposed for too long in a closed room.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:12:03 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Did you consider wearing nitrile gloves?

If you're working with any kind of solvent on a regular basis you need to protect yourself. Quite a few of the chemicals can leech through your skin and can damage your kidneys.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:17:05 PM
dewisp02 (78)
Indiana
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Did you consider wearing nitrile gloves?

If you're working with any kind of solvent on a regular basis you need to protect yourself. Quite a few of the chemicals can leech through your skin and can damage your kidneys.

And your liver and bladder, too. And a respirator to protect your lungs.

Here is the MSDS sheet for it. Decided to dig it up since people on here seem to be interested in the information. 

But just as I suspected, 90-95% petroleum distillates and the rest being tripropylene glycol methyl ether and citrus extracts. 

Also, the MSDS states gloves should be worn. 

WANTED NES: BoxBomberman II, Bubble Bobble 2, Chubby Cherub, Color A Dinosaur, Pro Sport Hockey, Volleyball
                      Manual- Dragon Fighter, Jetson's, Operation Secret Storm, SCAT, Stack Up, Stinger, Sword Master
                      Manual and Box- Arkanoid, Jimmy Connor's Tennis, Little Ninja Brothers, Mickey in Numberland, Sqoon

Edited: 01/03/2014 at 04:20 PM by dewisp02

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:28:58 PM
th0rpe (36)
(JT ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Here it is. This specific brand comes in orange and citrus, they both work fine. Sold nationally at walmart, kroger, meier, and home depot. Those are just the ones I know of, most stores should carry an equivalent. Brand does not matter, you just need a citrus based air freshener (non aerosol). Keep it off of lables! This will remove any type of glue out there. Safe on carts and system plastic. Hell, it won't taste good, but you could drink it.

photo 20131202_232354_zpsd26b0537.jpg

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:30:48 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: th0rpe

Hell, it won't taste good, but you could drink it.

I don't see the part where it says it is non-toxic.

"natural" should not imply "safe".

As my dad loves to say "a rattlesnake bite is natural".

That said, this might be just orange oil extract, but if it doesn't say "non-toxic" then it should be assumed to be toxic.

Edited: 01/03/2014 at 04:32 PM by arch_8ngel

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:32:25 PM
dewisp02 (78)
Indiana
Here is the Pure Citrus MSDS if anyone is interested. 

Looks like there are terpenes in this, so there could be skin irritation with repeated use... especially if you already have pre-existing skin conditions.

Edited: 01/03/2014 at 04:34 PM by dewisp02

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:35:05 PM
th0rpe (36)
(JT ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Well, in the back it didn't have any warnings not to ingest it. Good enough for me lol. Not that I'm drinking the shit lol

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:45:08 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio

Well, in the back it didn't have any warnings not to ingest it. Good enough for me lol. Not that I'm drinking the shit lol

I don't think oranges are naturally flammable (I can see the flammable warning on the can)......

As far as using nitrile gloves, the only potential issue with that is you couldn't use your fingernail as well.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:49:28 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

I don't think oranges are naturally flammable (I can see the flammable warning on the can)......

As far as using nitrile gloves, the only potential issue with that is you couldn't use your fingernail as well.

Citrus oils are definitely flammable.

Take a piece of orange peel and pinch it to squirt the oils out as a mist... they will definitely combust if they come into contact with fame.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:50:13 PM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois

Actually, orange oil is naturally flammable.

Take a piece of orange skin and bend it in half and squeeze the oil into the flame of a lighter. It is flammable for sure. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:56:49 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Colorado

photo 20131202_232354_zpsd26b0537.jpg

I only see one thing in this picture, and it ain't citrus cleaner!

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:58:43 PM
DMG (47)
(Dustin G.) < Kraid Killer >
Germany
Originally posted by: K.Thrower

I only see one thing in this picture, and it ain't citrus cleaner!

Haha! I was thinking the same thing!

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:00:08 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Darth Vader

Actually, orange oil is naturally flammable.

Take a piece of orange skin and bend it in half and squeeze the oil into the flame of a lighter. It is flammable for sure. 

I know what I'm doing this weekend!

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:02:54 PM
th0rpe (36)
(JT ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
I was wondering if that would be noticed or not lol. Always be on the lookout for hidden easter eggs!

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:24:52 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Un-du

that is all

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:34:30 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
I always wash my hands immediately after using it. My thumbnails tend to get a rough texture, but thats because I tend to pick at the cuticle which causes it to grow weird.

SW-6786-5095-2210

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:57:30 PM
retrofixes (36)
< El Ripper >
North Carolina
Like others have said wear some gloves and use a plastic scrapper rather than your figernail. I wear gloves for any and all cleaning/restore projects. It simply makes life easier and healthier.

Goo Gone gives me a headche everytime. I seldom use it.
Olive oil works just as well with removing decals from plastic, glass etc

Edited: 01/03/2014 at 06:00 PM by retrofixes

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:04:30 PM
pujolsfan (116)
< King Solomon >
Missouri
I use it almost everyday and haven't noticed anything bad. I'm not using it for hours and hours at a time though

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:11:41 PM
Ipsylos (25)

(Nintendrone ) < King Solomon >
Ontario
No issued here, been using it for a few years now but always have a cloth with me unless I'm peeling the stickers. Goof Off on the other hand is too strong for it's own good and I'm pretty sure will damage your nails. Then again it's industrial strength.