Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Sega Saturn is better than the Nintendo 64 yeah i said it

Sep 04 at 6:28:55 PM
attakid101 (19)
(Fredo ) < King Solomon >
Idaho
There's no denying that the N64 has some of the best games ever made. Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, Goldeneye, etc. The 64 had several instant classics. And I'll admit that the best games on the 64 are better than the best games on Saturn.

But......

In my mind the Saturn has a more varied assortment of great games. Granted, some genres aren't well represented (3D platformers most notably), but in my opinion the Saturn had more killer apps than the 64.

And I'm not even talking about the import titles. I mean the stuff released here in North America. If we include imports the Saturn absolutely dominates the 64.

.....but the Playstation shits on them both.

Edited: 09/04/2019 at 06:41 PM by attakid101

Sep 04 at 6:41:58 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: attakid101

In my mind the Saturn has a more varied assortment of great games.
in my opinion the Saturn had more killer apps than the 64. 
And I'm not even talking about the import titles. I mean the stuff released here in North America.

Gimme some of what he's smokin', yo

-------------------------
My eBay feedback
"Hey have you guys ever pekt I nx thrn b gh ed g?"

Sep 04 at 7:15:41 PM
attakid101 (19)
Idaho
Originally posted by: Quaze

And I'm not even talking about the import titles. I mean the stuff released here in North America.

I'm smokin' only the truth, sir

Sep 04 at 7:22:32 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Originally posted by: Quaze

I'm smokin' only the truth, sir

I suppose that's why the Saturn sold so much better than the... oh wait.

Sep 04 at 7:24:06 PM
Jeevan (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Indiana
Nintendo for life brotha!

Anybody want a butterscotch?

Sep 04 at 7:24:32 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Ban

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Sep 04 at 7:26:53 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
I agree. Saturn games hold up way better.

Sep 04 at 7:36:43 PM
pegboy (44)
< Bowser >
Washington
Is this even a real question? The 64 was and is shit.

Sep 04 at 7:46:36 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
This should be in the unpopular opinion thread on a Nintendo forum lol

Sep 04 at 7:50:14 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Aside from the handful or two "must play" games on the N64, most of its library is pretty blah. Not even talking about the really terrible games, just a ton of mediocre sports and racing titles.

Saturn had its share of crap, but it did have a more diverse and compelling library overall.

I will say that the N64 was much better at multiplayer titles.

Edited: 09/04/2019 at 07:53 PM by Tulpa

Sep 04 at 7:54:25 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
This is like arguing if Croatia or Argentina had a better showing against Team USA in basketball

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Sep 04 at 7:57:40 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire

Sep 04 at 8:05:55 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Ok, help me out a little. I like N64 games, and I've never played a Saturn. I've basically ignored the Saturn my whole life. So I couldn't name even one Saturn game if my life depended on it. I always assumed it was junk, since it didn't do well enough to fund its own successor.

So sure, I'll bite. What are the "killer apps" that make the Saturn better than the N64? I'm genuinely interested to look into them. Based on your post, I assume you have a nice, long list of must-plays, and that you're not just coming from "N64 is so bad that even the Saturn is better."

Sep 04 at 8:11:52 PM
DoctorEncore (6)
< Crack Trooper >

There's no denying that the N64 has some of the best games ever made. Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, Goldeneye, etc. The 64 had several instant classics. And I'll admit that the best games on the 64 are better than the best games on Saturn.

But......

In my mind the Saturn has a more varied assortment of great games. Granted, some genres aren't well represented (3D platformers most notably), but in my opinion the Saturn had more killer apps than the 64.

And I'm not even talking about the import titles. I mean the stuff released here in North America. If we include imports the Saturn absolutely dominates the 64.

.....but the Playstation shits on them both.

This man gets it. 👍

Current Project: NES NTSC CIB Set
Progress: ~550/678

WTB: CIB NES games. PM me if seeking a buyer. CLICK HERE TO SEE MY LIST.

WTB: NIB NES games so I can open them and add to the_wizard_666's Sealed Game Contents forum topic and FAQ @ https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes....

Sep 04 at 8:15:42 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I also have never owned a Saturn but loved N64. I thought about collecting Saturn a few times but can never follow thru with it. It seems like mostly shmups or Japanese RPGs, neither of which I have any desire to own or play. Basically feels like a cheap man's PS1, while N64 at least gives you the unique experience of A++ first party titles and plenty of good multiplayer. Several of the good N64 games have either been remade / remastered or continued as a series, what about the best Saturn games? Were they ported? Theres several must plays on N64 whether you like it or not, and not a single one on Saturn for me.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Sep 04 at 8:17:28 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Originally posted by: Splain

Ok, help me out a little. I like N64 games, and I've never played a Saturn. I've basically ignored the Saturn my whole life. So I couldn't name even one Saturn game if my life depended on it. I always assumed it was junk, since it didn't do well enough to fund its own successor.

So sure, I'll bite. What are the "killer apps" that make the Saturn better than the N64? I'm genuinely interested to look into them. Based on your post, I assume you have a nice, long list of must-plays, and that you're not just coming from "N64 is so bad that even the Saturn is better."
Nights into Dreams is the only one I can think of being decent. They even managed to screw up Sonic on that system. 

Sep 04 at 8:20:17 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Originally posted by: a3quit4s

Nights into Dreams is the only one I can think of being decent. They even managed to screw up Sonic on that system. 

Ok, well, I already have a Tiger R-Zone, so I can play this without having to get a Saturn!

Sep 04 at 8:26:21 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Where's LastCat? I think he hacked attakid's account

SW-6786-5095-2210

Sep 04 at 8:35:27 PM
D~Funk (81)
(David Qualls) < Master Higgins >
Oregon

"Thats what i am, i'm just a grumpy guy with a big nose."

Sep 04 at 8:46:42 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
The best system is the one you have and the one you love. Or maybe that's the woman you're married too, I dunno.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Sep 04 at 8:49:25 PM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
I think N64 had maybe 20-30 really good games. I know of a bunch of good Saturn games, but never thought to count how many there are..

In my view it's not necessary to see which system has more good games. The games are what matters

Sep 04 at 9:09:38 PM
Katchii (23)
< Meka Chicken >
Florida
You LIE!!!

Sep 04 at 9:29:23 PM
attakid101 (19)
Idaho
Originally posted by: jonebone

I also have never owned a Saturn but loved N64. I thought about collecting Saturn a few times but can never follow thru with it. It seems like mostly shmups or Japanese RPGs, neither of which I have any desire to own or play. Basically feels like a cheap man's PS1, while N64 at least gives you the unique experience of A++ first party titles and plenty of good multiplayer. Several of the good N64 games have either been remade / remastered or continued as a series, what about the best Saturn games? Were they ported? Theres several must plays on N64 whether you like it or not, and not a single one on Saturn for me.
I know about the triple-A titles on the 64. We all do, right? Some of those games are in a league of their own--undeniable masterpieces. And like I said the best of the 64 outshines the best of the Saturn. But outside of the handful of greats on the 64 we're left with a lot of ho-hum stuff. 

Don't get me wrong. That Saturn has a ton of garbage too. But all things being equal, I'd say there are more good games for the Saturn than for the 64.

Sep 04 at 9:44:00 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Throw out some titles. There's only been one game mentioned in this thread.

Sep 04 at 9:51:24 PM
attakid101 (19)
Idaho

Dammit! I was hoping I wouldn't have to defend my position!

Alright here's where things get kind of ambiguous... Ultimately I can't recommend collecting for the Saturn, even though I love its catalog. Shit's just too expensive, bro. 

But here's a short list of games I recommend checking out if you can:

Dragon Force (totally addicting strategy RPG)
Guardian Heroes (unique and strategic beat 'em up)
Galactic Attack (reasonably priced and creative shooter)
Panzer Dragoon & Panzer Dragoon Zwei (unforgettable rail shooters)
Virtua Fighter 2 (super affordable 3D fighter)
Sega Rally Championship (super affordable and addicting rally racer)
Magic Knight Rayearth (fun little action RPG)
Shining Force III (strategy RPG--I prefer Dragon Force. Still Fun though

If you're willing to import (and you should)

X-Men VS Street Fighter (best version on any console)
Vampire Savior (pretty much arcade perfect fighter)
Soukyugurentai (affordable and creative shooter)
Gunbird (awesome shooter--cheap)
Radian Silvergun (it's Radian Silvergun...amazing)
Silhouette Mirage (super creative action platformer)

There's lots more, man. And there's plenty of great stuff I've never even played.

Edited: 09/04/2019 at 09:51 PM by attakid101