Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA Beat Every NES Game In A Year - 2018 Licensed: 582/677 - Famicom selection: 35/73

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:29:06 AM
Nesmaniac (3)
(Matthew Sizemore) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
I heard battletoads takes more than a year to beat.

-------------------------

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:38:18 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Nesmaniac

It really depends on your skill level and how much time you sink into it. I would say a few weeks or months if you're decidated and have the skills. It took me a few months. There are others who will never be able to beat it.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Dec 29, 2018 at 12:13:54 PM
Nesmaniac (3)
(Matthew Sizemore) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
Originally posted by: mbd39

Originally posted by: Nesmaniac

It really depends on your skill level and how much time you sink into it. I would say a few weeks or months if you're decidated and have the skills. It took me a few months. There are others who will never be able to beat it.

I've never gotten into battletoads far (just the part falling down the pit and fighting I think) but I did beat the original Castlevania a little while back and man it took some dedication. Bad thing was the old 5 screw versions would freeze up either in the hallway toward the reaper or at the reaper fight. Years ago a copy froze on me while fighting Dracula so that put me off the game for years I was so pissed. The 143 in 1 cart has the freezing version of the game in case anyone attempts to beat it on that don't try waste of time.

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:45:28 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Battletoads is one of those games that I like, but I really don't want to put in the time to learn every nuance like I did with Maniac Mansion, altho I was 7 at the time when I did.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:47:11 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
I think it took me two months to beat Battletoads. Playing an hour a day. It definitely is harder than the average platformer.

Castlevania I didn't find all that difficult except for Dracula himself. He was a major pain. I kind of see why they put a checkpoint right at the door of him.

?What are the weirdest games on NES? - What are the weirdest games on SNES
Game Boy Run: 24/40 - Nintendo NES Run: 48/48
Latest game beaten: Skate Or Die: Bad 'N Rad (1990)

Dec 29, 2018 at 8:54:18 PM
Daniel_Doyce (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
I'm relinquishing the Koei crown next year to give someone else the incentive to try the games out, and to spend more time on canonical games that I've never gotten around to. I may play L'Empereur just for fun, though  

Koeinalia: A Compendium of Koei Knowledge - NES and SNES

Dec 29, 2018 at 9:44:03 PM
scaryice (115)
(scary ice) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Svankmajer

I think it took me two months to beat Battletoads. Playing an hour a day. It definitely is harder than the average platformer.

If you want to beat Battletoads, step #1 is stocking up on lives in stage 2 by juggling the birds. It's also very helpful to stay at the bottom of the screen in the inferno stage so none of the lower missiles can hit you. Then you just have to pray that the rat glitch doesn't happen (which it did to me once when I was trying to beat it for the first time, so frustrating).

WTB/WTTF - Famicom carts (54 needed):

Dec 29, 2018 at 10:11:53 PM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: scaryice

If you want to beat Battletoads, step #1 is stocking up on lives in stage 2 by juggling the birds. It's also very helpful to stay at the bottom of the screen in the inferno stage so none of the lower missiles can hit you. Then you just have to pray that the rat glitch doesn't happen (which it did to me once when I was trying to beat it for the first time, so frustrating).
Indeed, and its very trial and error and memorization for the most parts. Meaning its quite impossible to know what to do first time playing through, so you have to learn by playing patiently over and over. This combined with limited lives and continues is probably what makes the game so notorious for being hard. Of course, judging by comments on the net 90% just can't get past the turbo tunnel on third level. Its a shame most people never saw anything past that level, because it has a lot of cool level designs.

I heard Battletoads was designed so hard because they expected it to be a popular rental, and they didn't want to be too easy since they wanted people to also buy the game, so they tweaked the difficulty according to that. (No idea if this is true or not)

As for other hard platformers on NES Ghost N' Goblins is as difficult in some ways, but it seems they understood the hard difficulty (the game originally coming from a arcade machine where you were supposed to drop coins in the machine everytime you died) so instead of tweaking they just let you have infinite lives, endless continues and letting you start from last checkpoint on the NES port. 

Then there's Adventure Island, and that one is not that much of a burden until the later stages. Thats where it gets brutal. Everyone can get pretty far into it, but beating it is another thing. A couple of levels are so unbalanced its easy to suspect they hadn't been testplaying it enough for release. It seems likely its just bad programming in this case. 

I would also put Werewolf and Ninja Gaiden 3 up there. 

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:18:22 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York

Indeed, and its very trial and error and memorization for the most parts. Meaning its quite impossible to know what to do first time playing through, so you have to learn by playing patiently over and over. This combined with limited lives and continues is probably what makes the game so notorious for being hard. Of course, judging by comments on the net 90% just can't get past the turbo tunnel on third level. Its a shame most people never saw anything past that level, because it has a lot of cool level designs.

I heard Battletoads was designed so hard because they expected it to be a popular rental, and they didn't want to be too easy since they wanted people to also buy the game, so they tweaked the difficulty according to that. (No idea if this is true or not)

As for other hard platformers on NES Ghost N' Goblins is as difficult in some ways, but it seems they understood the hard difficulty (the game originally coming from a arcade machine where you were supposed to drop coins in the machine everytime you died) so instead of tweaking they just let you have infinite lives, endless continues and letting you start from last checkpoint on the NES port. 

Then there's Adventure Island, and that one is not that much of a burden until the later stages. Thats where it gets brutal. Everyone can get pretty far into it, but beating it is another thing. A couple of levels are so unbalanced its easy to suspect they hadn't been testplaying it enough for release. It seems likely its just bad programming in this case. 

Out of all of those NG 3 is the weakest.  The only thing that makes that game very hard is the fact they dont refill your time, so even if you firewheel abuse the last level, you'll get to the final boss with not much time left.  It didn't take me long to beat NG3 but all the others I have not.

Mutant Virus strat thread.  Help each other finally put the nail in the coffin for this game, EVERY time.

Dec 30, 2018 at 12:03:08 AM
Svankmajer (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Originally posted by: guitarzombie

Out of all of those NG 3 is the weakest.  The only thing that makes that game very hard is the fact they dont refill your time, so even if you firewheel abuse the last level, you'll get to the final boss with not much time left.  It didn't take me long to beat NG3 but all the others I have not.

Right, I remember you've said this before. You're likely a lot better at platformers than me in general but I struggled a LOT with the last world in NG3. I might have worked on it for over a week or so on the last parts alone. I don't remember using the firewheel. I didn't struggle as much with Ninja Gaiden 1+2 though. Ninja Gaiden 2 is definitely the easiest one of them. The first Ninja is pretty hard, at least late game, but infinite continues helps a lot. You're never far away from your last death, so can always just push on. Ninja Gaiden 3 had limited continues in comparison.. and its a drag to play the whole game over again (just like Battletoads). A lot less room to play reckless. 

On hard platformers. I almost forgot about The Adventures Of Rad Gravity. Now thats a great game if you want to be pissed off. Strangely its a very ambitious games with a lot of interesting ideas, but just executed so clumsy its hard to fathom. 

Edited: 12/30/2018 at 12:04 AM by Svankmajer

Dec 30, 2018 at 8:49:46 AM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York

Right, I remember you've said this before. You're likely a lot better at platformers than me in general but I struggled a LOT with the last world in NG3. I might have worked on it for over a week or so on the last parts alone. I don't remember using the firewheel. I didn't struggle as much with Ninja Gaiden 1+2 though. Ninja Gaiden 2 is definitely the easiest one of them. The first Ninja is pretty hard, at least late game, but infinite continues helps a lot. You're never far away from your last death, so can always just push on. Ninja Gaiden 3 had limited continues in comparison.. and its a drag to play the whole game over again (just like Battletoads). A lot less room to play reckless. 

On hard platformers. I almost forgot about The Adventures Of Rad Gravity. Now thats a great game if you want to be pissed off. Strangely its a very ambitious games with a lot of interesting ideas, but just executed so clumsy its hard to fathom. 

I think in NG3 there's a code for 99 lives or continues.  I used that first to kinda learn the game.  IIRC I had to 'route' the last level, knowing what items to pick up where, when to switch and stuff.  The firewheel abuse makes it easier because it getting one ninpo fills up EVERYTHING so you only need to use it knowing where the next refill is.  But I also had to route it if I got to the final boss and reloaded at the checkpoint.  

I beat Rad Gravity too and I have to agree.  But once you get used to the controls its not awful.  BT needs a lot more memorization.  MAYBE one day if I get inspired, but it just seems like a lot of work for very little reward haha.  NG 3 took about a week?  Also mind you, if within a few playthrus I see myself making progress ill keep at it.  If I play a game 10 times and each time I only get a LITTLE further, I lose interest real quick.

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:59:18 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

We played Ninja Gaiden 3 in the finals of the NintendoAge weekly contests tournament with a one life rule.

Six of the best NES players on the site competed. Only one of us actually beat the game in one life and it wasn't me. I came in fourth place.

I reached the first final boss form with enough time to beat him and I choked, and then I couldn't even get back to him. Ugh. You can't waste any time on the last stage if you want to no death NG3. You have to throw caution to the wind and speed run it.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:20:07 AM
scaryice (115)
Illinois
I've gone ahead and updated the bonus points since I don't think anyone is beating anything else. That means that:

• bronzeshield wins the Acclaim title.
  • Crabmaster2000 wins the Jaleco title.
  • Kid Dracula wins the Sunsoft title.
  • nerdybraskan wins the FCI, Mindscape, Nintendo, and Sammy titles.
  • scaryice wins the Hi-Tech title.
Nerdy ended up winning 10/20 (bonus points are capped at 50, though), with Bea and Kid Dracula winning two.

Here's a list of who's won the title in each year for these top twenty publishers:

2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018
Acclaim    Crabmaster2000 Sukhov DoctorNick Bea Iank Bea Iank guitarzombie bronzeshield
Activision    Crabmaster2000 WashYourFace acromite53 DoctorNick tablew/chairs guitarzombie Bea Iank
Bandai    scaryice gnarblast gnarblast DoctorNick tablew/chairs John198X nerdynebraskan
Capcom    the tall guy Enternal Jandrem Bea Iank nerdynebraskan John198X John198X
Data East    8-bit boice Crabmaster2000 gutsman004 Bea Iank nerdynebraskan John198X nerdynebraskan
FCI    Crabmaster2000 WashYourFace WashYourFace Bea Iank TheMexicanRunner Daniel Doyce nerdynebraskan
Hi-Tech    8-bit boice Nightowljrm NESfanatic tablew/chairs scaryice Daniel Doyce scaryice
Hudson    Crabmaster2000 Red DoctorNick DoctorNick MaarioS guitarzombie Gloves
Jaleco    Crabmaster2000 WashYourFace DoctorNick tablew/chairs scaryice guitarzombie Crabmaster2000
Koei   monkoftheages WashYourFace smick WashYourFace Daniel Doyce Daniel Doyce Daniel Doyce
Konami/Ultra   Crabmaster2000 Sukhov babywuchki DoctorNick TheMexicanRunner guitarzombie nerdynebraskan
LJN    8-bit boice the wizard 666 nerdynebraskan DoctorNick nerdynebraskan nerdynebraskan nerdynebraskan
Mindscape    Crabmaster2000 Sukhov Red tablew/chairs TheMexicanRunner guitarzombie nerdynebraskan
Nintendo    Crabmaster2000 Dr. Morbis Red tablew/chairs MaarioS nerdynebraskan nerdynebraskan
Sammy    8-bit boice scaryice scaryice Bea Iank tablew/chairs scaryice nerdynebraskan
SNK    8-bit boice bimmy lee DoctorNick Bea Iank Bea Iank nerdynebraskan Bea Iank
Sunsoft    8-bit boice johnblueriggs DoctorNick andrelapse tablew/chairs MaarioS Kid Dracula
Taito    8-bit boice Enternal nerdynebraskan nerdynebraskan nerdynebraskan nerdynebraskan Kid Dracula
Tecmo    buttheadrulesagain Enternal gutsman004 DoctorNick nerdynebraskan nerdynebraskan nerdynebraskan
Vic Tokai    Crabmaster2000 khog143 nerdynebraskan nerdynebraskan nerdynebraskan nerdynebraskan nerdynebraskan

It's been reasonably fun to track this, so I'll bring it back again for 2019 with the same bonus point rules. I think I'll track the top 30 publishers next year, which would add the next ten (by total points):

Broderbund
Culture Brain
Gametek
HAL
Kemco
Milton Bradley
Ocean
Romstar
Taxan
THQ

I think I'll leave off the Famicom games for 2019, since they haven't gotten much attention. We've gone 2 years without beating all the licensed games, so it's probably good to refocus.

Edited: 12/30/2018 at 11:42 AM by scaryice

Dec 30, 2018 at 11:38:21 AM
scaryice (115)
Illinois
It looks as though nerdy will finish with 852 points and 188 games beaten, which is crazy. He's also now a two-time overall champion. Here's the list of previous winners since I've been running the thread:

2012 Crabmaster2000   124 games beaten
2013 WashYourFace   79.5 games beaten
2014 nerdynebraskan 487 points 90.5 games beaten
2015 DoctorNick 697 points 94 games beaten
2016 Bea Iank 657 points 114.35 games beaten
2017 guitarzombie 475 points 69 games beaten
2018 nerdynebraskan 852 points 188 games beaten

We also had three people make their first overall top ten: arnpoly, gloves, and Kid Dracula. Nice job!

On a personal level, in 2018 I beat 6-7 NES games for the first time among my completions. I'd say the rpgs were the most notable/interesting for me: Magic of Scheherazade, Ultima 4, and Sweet Home on the Famicom. For 2019, I have a few more I'd like to play, starting with the newly translated Metal Max. I'd also like to get around to Wizardry eventually, and maybe Battle of Olympus since I love Zelda 2 so much. Somehow it was unbeaten this year...

I also need to update the winning conditions list for next year. I think Mach Rider was one of them. I'll have to double check that before reposting it.

Dec 30, 2018 at 3:03:52 PM
nerdynebraskan (68)

(Jackson Meredith) < Lolo Lord >
Nebraska
Yo scary,

How about eliminating the cap for bonus points, especially if you're adding 50% more publisher crowns?

Two-time "Beat Every NES Game" Champion (2014, 2018)
(Why isn't there an Award for this?)

Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2019?

Dec 30, 2018 at 4:16:47 PM
Daniel_Doyce (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Here's a metric to evaluate which I'll tenatively call "efficiency," i.e. most points with fewest games completed

(Total Pts - Bonus Pts) / # Games Beaten. It ends up being a measure of the average difficulty of games beaten, so maybe it should be called "severity" or something like that

Crabmaster averaged an amazing 8.6 points per game, winning the Badass title. Bimmy clocked in at a mere 2.1, winning the Bottom-Feeder title  

1 nerdynebraskan 852 188 4.3
2 Crabmaster2000 268 30 8.6
3 Kid Dracula 246 47 4.8
4 scaryice 189 43 4.2
5 Bea Iank 166 27 5.4
6 tablew/chairs 134 17 7.9
7 arnpoly 130 16 8.1
8 Daniel Doyce 129 20 6.0
9 Gloves 107 18 5.4
10 bimmy lee 105 49 2.1

Koeinalia: A Compendium of Koei Knowledge - NES and SNES

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:00:09 PM
guitarzombie (30)
< Ridley Wrangler >
New York
Originally posted by: mbd39

We played Ninja Gaiden 3 in the finals of the NintendoAge weekly contests tournament with a one life rule.

Six of the best NES players on the site competed. Only one of us actually beat the game in one life and it wasn't me. I came in fourth place.

I reached the first final boss form with enough time to beat him and I choked, and then I couldn't even get back to him. Ugh. You can't waste any time on the last stage if you want to no death NG3. You have to throw caution to the wind and speed run it.

Yes totally!  Actually given some time I think I could, because you just have to fight the final boss perfectly and I dont remember his patterns well.  Its totally possible as long as you 'map out' the last level and take as many short cuts you can, esp in the area that has all the spikes and firewheel the fuck outta it.  But to be honest, I think you all could have done it, just a week isn't enough time.

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:35:36 PM
scaryice (115)
Illinois
Originally posted by: nerdynebraskan

Yo scary,

How about eliminating the cap for bonus points, especially if you're adding 50% more publisher crowns?

I suppose I could raise it to 100 max instead of 50. I don't want to eliminate it completely.

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:20:19 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
I haven't gotten around to playing Smash TV like I had hoped, so I'll get that done pretty quickly in 2019.  

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch