NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Zapper not working on AVS Trying to use LCDMOD

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:47:54 PM
Brachabre (9)
(Weiner Tacos) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Originally posted by: Sougouk

Hello all, I tried this LCDMOD and it doesn't really work for me. I tried Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley and Wild Gunman.

Hardware:
AVS with 1.30 Final Firmware, Everdrive N8 cart, Original Nes Zapper, Samsung 46" LCD LNS46960D

Pretty much the same setup and settings besides TV.

I couldn't get the NES zapper working at all on several LCD tvs and monitors I had laying around (samsung 51", memorex 42", alienware optx 21.5", philips 19"). On the other hand, I tested on 2 different plasmas (samsung 51" and panasonic 50") and both work great. The samsung correctly auto-sensed the delay at the title screen. The Panasonic auto-changed to 9.7 when shooting the title screen but I had to manually change the delay somewhere between 1.0 to 2.8 before it started killing ducks at all.

Since your other settings match my own, it may just be that TV doesn't work :/

Edited: 11/05/2018 at 06:49 PM by Brachabre

Nov 5, 2018 at 7:00:01 PM
Popeye-Nes (0)

< Cherub >
People who are having problems why don't you get the tomee gun from amazon ? Since that's proven to work best
Is only $5

Nov 5, 2018 at 7:09:01 PM
Sougouk (0)

< Cherub >
Canada
Thanks Darkchylde28 & Brachabre for those suggestions.
Yeah, I was thinking about trying that cheap Tomee zapper, and possibly trying other TVs, and manually changing the delay until I find one that hopefully works. I also tried two of my Dell LCD/LED monitors, and sadly, even they didn't work.
My Samsung 46" TV is 12 years old. I also have an HDMI 5-port switch, since the TV only has 2 HDMIs. I imagine that too would add to the delay.

Well, more tests to run.

Edited: 11/05/2018 at 07:09 PM by Sougouk

Nov 5, 2018 at 7:24:28 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I'm thinking I might try my Raspberry Pi as a test bed if I have the NES to USB adapter. All I need is the Zapp Gun.

Nov 5, 2018 at 7:29:14 PM
Brachabre (9)
(Weiner Tacos) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Hogan's Alley Game C Trick Shot is so fun!

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:40:04 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee

Thanks Darkchylde28 & Brachabre for those suggestions.
Yeah, I was thinking about trying that cheap Tomee zapper, and possibly trying other TVs, and manually changing the delay until I find one that hopefully works. I also tried two of my Dell LCD/LED monitors, and sadly, even they didn't work.
My Samsung 46" TV is 12 years old. I also have an HDMI 5-port switch, since the TV only has 2 HDMIs. I imagine that too would add to the delay.

Well, more tests to run.

I have a feeling that the amount of light in the space that you're trying in might affect it as well.  The blinds are normally always drawn in our living room, with a lamp on in the corner.  In that setup, everything works great on our LCD TV.  However, when I threw the overhead on to better get a picture of my son tryin to play Duck Hunt, he suddenly couldn't hit anything, even with the gun right next to the screen.  Turning off the overhead light returned the setup to functionality, so I'm guessing that either the brightness on the TV needs to be pushed way up to ensure visibility by the gun in all settings or the lights need to be turned down to accommodate the same.

-------------------------
Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Nov 9, 2018 at 8:16:13 AM
Sougouk (0)

< Cherub >
Canada
I got the Tomee Zapper and it really does work. I still have to run tests, settings, different TVs and monitors. I may have gotten a faulty one, since it seems the zapper has a wider view when shooting the character.
While playing Hogan's Alley, I aim for a character in the middle of the screen, but shoot the one on the left or right. Atleast I was able to get it working.

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:03:27 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee

I got the Tomee Zapper and it really does work. I still have to run tests, settings, different TVs and monitors. I may have gotten a faulty one, since it seems the zapper has a wider view when shooting the character.
While playing Hogan's Alley, I aim for a character in the middle of the screen, but shoot the one on the left or right. Atleast I was able to get it working.

I was having similar issues with Hogan's Alley until I played around with how close I was to the TV, the delay settings, etc.  I really hope that they put out an updated patch for that game, as it will only dials in in whole units versus Duck Hunt's option to adjust by tenths of a unit for the delay.  I've got it on my list of things to do, but something you might consider is modding an original zapper with the newer (supposedly better) diode from the Tomee Zapp to see if it makes a difference.  The folks making the patches recommend it and point straight to the information where others did it, so it might well improve performance as well.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:16:48 AM
Sougouk (0)

< Cherub >
Canada
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

I was having similar issues with Hogan's Alley until I played around with how close I was to the TV, the delay settings, etc.  I really hope that they put out an updated patch for that game, as it will only dials in in whole units versus Duck Hunt's option to adjust by tenths of a unit for the delay.  I've got it on my list of things to do, but something you might consider is modding an original zapper with the newer (supposedly better) diode from the Tomee Zapp to see if it makes a difference.  The folks making the patches recommend it and point straight to the information where others did it, so it might well improve performance as well.
Yeah, it would be great if they update the patch for Hogan's Alley, like the way Duck Hunt is. Sadly, my main TV that I use my AVS on doesn't work with the Tomee zapper. Now I'll have to retest and play with all the settings again. I really hope I can get it working on my main TV. Unfortunately I don't have any soldering skills to attach the diode from Tomee to an original zapper. If some guy creates a fully functional, high quality LCD friendly Zapper and creates a Kickstarter campaign, I'd definitely support it.
More tests to run again.

Nov 23, 2018 at 4:00:54 PM
morskoyzmey (0)
< Cherub >

Yeah, it would be great if they update the patch for Hogan's Alley, like the way Duck Hunt is. Sadly, my main TV that I use my AVS on doesn't work with the Tomee zapper. Now I'll have to retest and play with all the settings again. I really hope I can get it working on my main TV. Unfortunately I don't have any soldering skills to attach the diode from Tomee to an original zapper. If some guy creates a fully functional, high quality LCD friendly Zapper and creates a Kickstarter campaign, I'd definitely support it.
More tests to run again.

Hey, guys. I'm the authour of lcdmod project. Thanks for interest and mutual help.
Hogan's Alley has been updated at 21 Oct with subframe delay option. Follow me on twitter
Moreover, there is a new game - Duck Hunt VS. You're welcome to test it. Any feedback is appreciated.
About any issues you can write here or via email, I will watch this thread.

Nov 25, 2018 at 8:43:08 PM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington

Originally posted by: Tulpa

Wow, pretty cool. I wonder if anyone has put the ROMs onto individual cartridges yet.

Hard to say, but I'm planning to do so (or have it done for me) once the "final" versions of each patch are released.  Right now everything that's been released is just in open beta, with bugs still being ironed out on occasion.
I'd love some nice looking repros of several zapper titles. 

Retro Tech Select
Check out my YouTube Channel for old-school gaming goodness!

Dec 2, 2018 at 1:53:33 AM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Originally posted by: morskoyzmey

Hey, guys. I'm the authour of lcdmod project. Thanks for interest and mutual help.
Hogan's Alley has been updated at 21 Oct with subframe delay option. Follow me on twitter
Moreover, there is a new game - Duck Hunt VS. You're welcome to test it. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks man. Just got them all working on my Samsung. I'll def give some more detailed feedback once I've put in some time.

Edited: 12/02/2018 at 01:55 AM by JamesRobot

May 18 at 2:57:01 PM
WaverBoy (1)

(Jeff Nelson) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Originally posted by: morskoyzmey

More tests to run again.

Hi there!  I just found out about your ROM patch project today.  I have ordered a Tomee Zapp gun, as the original Zapper definitely doesn't work on my Sony 4K model XBR65Z9D.

Do you have any plans for doing a patch for the incredibly underrated Mechanized Attack?