Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Opened Game - High VGA grade potential"

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:21:33 PM
RetroSauce (176)
(Andrew Sauce) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
I hope I'm starting this thread in the right spot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-NINTENDO-Indy-Car-Challange-Ne...

This buyer is posting a lot of opened games and saying they are "brand new" and "High VGA grade". I have always wondered: Is this against ebay policy? If you have  game that is clearly opened are you allowed to list it as brand new?

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:46:02 PM
robby808 (12)
(Robert Townsend) < Meka Chicken >
Hawaii
No there is an eBay definition for "brand new".

Brand New
An item that has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer's sealing (if applicable). Item is in original shrink wrap (if applicable). See the seller's listing for full details.

-------------------------
Searching for:
NES Zelda 1 sealed (1st print, no Rev A) willing to pay A LOT!

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:28:15 AM
Shyft (24)
(X X) < Meka Chicken >
Victoria
This is probably the thing I hate the most about sellers. Brand new my ass.

Bring me the head of Earthworm Jim.......... or any Earthworm Jim games or merchandise you have.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:03:40 AM
nessuper (11)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Super Nintendo) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
isnt that game opened?

Over 200 nes-n64-snes-genesis games for sale

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:04:44 AM
Segertar (125)
(T. F.) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: nessuper

isnt that game opened?

Yes it is. Also, VGA doesn't grade opened games.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:27:40 AM
Holy-SNES (47)
(Almost there :D) < Meka Chicken >
Victoria
Originally posted by: Segertar

Originally posted by: nessuper

isnt that game opened?

Yes it is. Also, VGA doesn't grade opened games.

VGA do grade opened games.
It's used games they don't grade.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:29:22 AM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Yeah if the plastic wrap has been opened enough to allow the box to be opened normally, it's not brand new anymore.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:53:34 AM
Holy-SNES (47)
Victoria
Originally posted by: Guntz

Yeah if the plastic wrap has been opened enough to allow the box to be opened normally, it's not brand new anymore.

If a game has never been used, then it is considered brand new, irrespective of whether the shrink wrap has been removed or if the box has been opened.
Brand new doesnt necessarily refer to an item being in the exact condition when it came off the production line or arrived in retail stores.
Your comment is very debatable, which should be possibly reserved for another post, if it hasn't been done so already.
And I'm sure it will be a 50/50, agree/disagree arguement.

Getting back on topic, there is nothing in his listing that violates eay policy.

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:48:19 AM
Korn Cakes (66)
(Alex Beckley) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: Holy-SNES

[b]If a game has never been used, then it is considered brand new, irrespective of whether the shrink wrap has been removed or if the box has been opened.[/b]
Brand new doesnt necessarily refer to an item being in the exact condition when it came off the production line or arrived in retail stores.
Your comment is very debatable, which should be possibly reserved for another post, if it hasn't been done so already.

Getting back on topic, there is nothing in his listing that violates eay policy.

This is your opinion though, not eBay policy. As was stated above, it clearly says "An item that has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer's sealing"

Obviously it hasn't been removed from the manufacturer's sealing, but it has been opened. Just beacause you don't think it counts as not being new doesn't mean they should too.

Edit: Just realized how much of a dick I sound like. Not my intention.

Edited: 02/12/2012 at 04:49 AM by Korn Cakes

Feb 12, 2012 at 4:58:28 AM
Pale Horse (45)
(Shaun ) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
VGA wouldnt rate opened games. Guys delusional.

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:13:10 AM
Segertar (125)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: Korn Cakes

[b]If a game has never been used, then it is considered brand new, irrespective of whether the shrink wrap has been removed or if the box has been opened.[/b]

This is your opinion though, not eBay policy. As was stated above, it clearly says "An item that has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer's sealing"

Obviously it hasn't been removed from the manufacturer's sealing, but it has been opened. Just beacause you don't think it counts as not being new doesn't mean they should too.

Ebay clearly states that an item has to be unopened to be considered Brand new:

Brand New

An item that has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer's sealing (if applicable). Item is in original shrink wrap (if applicable). See the seller's listing for full details.

Like New

An item that looks as if it was just taken out of shrink wrap. No visible wear, and all facets of the item are flawless and intact. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

This item has been opened, whether or not the game has been played is a moot point. It should not be listed as 'Brand New'.

Holy-SNES - VGA would not grade this game.

"VGA WILL grade unsealed boxes if the following criteria is met:
  • For grading under the standard grading scale, an item must not have originally come sealed from the factory. This must be the exclusive or most common way the item was released and the contents must be verified as new. We will only grade boxed items which are no longer tape sealed (i.e. tape cut or lifted) under this grading scale if a boxed item also has an intact interior blister seal, and all of the accompanying contents and paperwork are stilled sealed in their respective bags when applicable."

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:43:54 AM
robby808 (12)
(Robert Townsend) < Meka Chicken >
Hawaii
VGA will grade brand new games (even if opened) as "qualified" grading. They make sure it has never been used and is indeed brand new.

Searching for:
NES Zelda 1 sealed (1st print, no Rev A) willing to pay A LOT!

Feb 12, 2012 at 5:45:14 AM
mrlemnas (5)
(J. H.) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Ebay is getting really bad with this lately. I've seen a ton of items listed as "brand new" when they are clearly not. Some sellers seem to think that if you have a NES CIB and you still have the original bags for the console, controllers, etc., that must mean it's new. I've seen horribly yellowed and beat-up consoles where the seller throws them back in the bags and claims that they are new. Yeah, okay.

Another one I love is when they list an item as "brand new" and then say, "I only opened the package to take these pictures" or "I just opened the package to make sure everything is there." Sometimes I'm tempted to contact the seller and say, "Well, if that is true, you're an idiot."

I don't really care what anyone's definition of "brand new" is, for me, once the package is opened it is no longer new.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:02:44 AM
Holy-SNES (47)
Victoria

Brand New

Like New

An item that looks as if it was just taken out of shrink wrap. No visible wear, and all facets of the item are flawless and intact. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

This item has been opened, whether or not the game has been played is a moot point. It should not be listed as 'Brand New'.

• For grading under the standard grading scale, an item must not have originally come sealed from the factory. This must be the exclusive or most common way the item was released and the contents must be verified as new. We will only grade boxed items which are no longer tape sealed (i.e. tape cut or lifted) under this grading scale if a boxed item also has an intact interior blister seal, and all of the accompanying contents and paperwork are stilled sealed in their respective bags when applicable."
If the contents inside are 'brand new' VGA WILL grade this game.
They will only not grade a game if it  has been used.

eBay's 'brand new' policy is a grey area.
What if the seal is torn? What if the seal has a chunk missing but still covers (barely) both sides where the box can be opened. What if the seal has a slice through it? What if that slice is, say, at the end where the box flap is?
This is the reason this listing does not violate eBay's 'brand new' policy. This is also the reason eBay state 'see the sellers listing for full details'
eBay's 'brand new' policy is not etched in stone and they have worded it they way they have to cover their own ass.
This is also why I stated that this game is considered brand new from about a 50% of collectors point of view.
A debate where opinions will vary and an outcome can never be written as law.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:08:58 AM
Segertar (125)
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: robby808

VGA will grade brand new games (even if opened) as "qualified" grading. They make sure it has never been used and is indeed brand new.

Splitting hairs here..

Under the standard grading scale (not qualified), VGA will not grade opened games.

Qualfied grading on a game that was originally factory sealed, means nothing...

If the seal has been broken, or opened, then it is not brand new.

Edited: 02/12/2012 at 06:11 AM by Segertar

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:17:53 AM
Korn Cakes (66)
(Alex Beckley) < Meka Chicken >
United States

Brand New

Like New

So you agree with me? Haha.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:40:35 AM
Holy-SNES (47)
Victoria

Originally posted by: robby808

Splitting hairs here..

Under the standard grading scale (not qualified), VGA will not grade opened games.

Qualfied grading on a game that was originally factory sealed, means nothing...

If the seal has been broken, or opened, then it is not brand new.
I never said they would grade it under the standard grading.
You said they would not grade this game and I just said VGA will grade this game.
Whether you consider Qualified grading as meaning nothing, is your own personal opinion, and you can take which ever road you wish in collecting or owning them.

I some how get the feeling this debate is being driven by the difference between the words 'brand new' and 'unused'.
Don't let some geek who wrote eBays 'brand new' description policy text, be the one to decide the definitions of these words.
I said it before and i'll say it again, this is a 50/50, agree/disagree debate which will have no written outcome law.

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:48:53 AM
Segertar (125)
Wisconsin
"I some how get the feeling this debate is being driven by the difference between the words 'brand new' and 'unused'."

I think it has more to do with 'brand new' and 'never have been opened'..

If the item is indeed unused, but opened; the item wouldn't fall under eBay's definition of 'Brand New' simple because the item was opened.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:51:03 PM
RockPuppetz (1)
(Ness .) < Crack Trooper >
California

Famicom Mini:  3 / 30

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:13:11 PM
Holy-SNES (47)
Victoria
Ok, so is this discussion regarding whether YOU feel like this violates eBays 'brand new' policy, or whether it actually does?
I use the words brand new to describe something that has never been used.
Others use it as describing something that is in the exact condition it came from when it was released.
In a court of law, where a descision can't be reached, the judge will use reasoning to rule.
The general public will most likely consider this item brand new, even though the shrink has been opened at one end, and I'm pretty certain a judge will also.
But, thought I'd go and ask eBay mayself...
(mind you, this is only a supervisors opinion. I didnt have the heart to report the listing, but if I did, I think they will warrent it)

Hannie Mae L.
Hello, thanks for waiting and welcome to eBay Live Help! My name is Hannie Mae L. How may I help you today?

mickeymovz1979
Hi how are you?

Hannie Mae L.
HI there. I'm doing great, thanks for asking.

Hannie Mae L.
I hope you are all fine as well.

mickeymovz1979
Thats good. I have a question regarding the item no. 150757067623

mickeymovz1979
The seller has listed the auction under the 'brand new' eBay description.

mickeymovz1979
The 'brand new' description states 'An item that has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer's sealing (if applicable). Item is in original shrink wrap (if applicable). See the seller's listing for full details.'

mickeymovz1979
Even though this item is still in the original shrink wrap, the shrink wrap has clearly been opened at one end.

mickeymovz1979
I'm not too sure whether 'brand new' applies to an opened but unused item, or only to an item that has the full shrink wrap on it.

mickeymovz1979
My question is, if the contents of the shrink wrap, ie; the box and it's inner contents, are in fact unused (the box being unopened) but the shrink wrap has been partially opened at an end allowing the box to be opened, as stated in the listing, does this item warrent eBays 'brand new' description or is it in violation of eBay's 'brand new' poilcy?

Hannie Mae L.
I understand that you are concern about the item condition of the item you are watching. I'll help you on this.

Hannie Mae L.
While I check on this, will there be anything else that you'd want me to look into?

mickeymovz1979
No thank you

Hannie Mae L.
Sure. Basically it doesn't really violation the item condition policy we have since as long as the item it self is unused especially for this one a game, it wouldn't matter if the box or wrapper is opened on one end.

mickeymovz1979
Oh ok. Was this confirmed by your supervisor or is this your personal opinion?

Hannie Mae L.
Yes it is confirmed by my supervisor. As the item itself is brand new, though if you feel that this listing is in violation of some listing practices. I can repotr this one from my end so that our trust and safety team will be able to investigate on it and will be taking action on this within 24-48 hours.

mickeymovz1979
No its ok thank you.

Hannie Mae L.
It's my pleasure. I'm glad I was able to assist you.

Hannie Mae L.
Enjoy the rest of your day! Take care.

Hannie Mae L.
Thank you for your time and for using eBay Live Help. Have a great day!

Chat Session Ended, Goodbye. (5010)

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:06:26 PM
Segertar (125)
Wisconsin
I guess I'll start selling opened items as brand new...

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:19:58 PM
doesbenfoldfive (162)
(d medley) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia

Ok, so is this discussion regarding whether YOU feel like this violates eBays 'brand new' policy, or whether it actually does?
I use the words brand new to describe something that has never been used.
Others use it as describing something that is in the exact condition it came from when it was released.
In a court of law, where a descision can't be reached, the judge will use reasoning to rule.
The general public will most likely consider this item brand new, even though the shrink has been opened at one end, and I'm pretty certain a judge will also.
But, thought I'd go and ask eBay mayself...
(mind you, this is only a supervisors opinion. I didnt have the heart to report the listing, but if I did, I think they will warrent it)

Hannie Mae L.
Hello, thanks for waiting and welcome to eBay Live Help! My name is Hannie Mae L. How may I help you today?

mickeymovz1979
Hi how are you?

Hannie Mae L.
HI there. I'm doing great, thanks for asking.

Hannie Mae L.
I hope you are all fine as well.

mickeymovz1979
Thats good. I have a question regarding the item no. 150757067623

mickeymovz1979
The seller has listed the auction under the 'brand new' eBay description.

mickeymovz1979
The 'brand new' description states 'An item that has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer's sealing (if applicable). Item is in original shrink wrap (if applicable). See the seller's listing for full details.'

mickeymovz1979
Even though this item is still in the original shrink wrap, the shrink wrap has clearly been opened at one end.

mickeymovz1979
I'm not too sure whether 'brand new' applies to an opened but unused item, or only to an item that has the full shrink wrap on it.

mickeymovz1979
My question is, if the contents of the shrink wrap, ie; the box and it's inner contents, are in fact unused (the box being unopened) but the shrink wrap has been partially opened at an end allowing the box to be opened, as stated in the listing, does this item warrent eBays 'brand new' description or is it in violation of eBay's 'brand new' poilcy?

Hannie Mae L.
I understand that you are concern about the item condition of the item you are watching. I'll help you on this.

Hannie Mae L.
While I check on this, will there be anything else that you'd want me to look into?

mickeymovz1979
No thank you

Hannie Mae L.
Sure. Basically it doesn't really violation the item condition policy we have since as long as the item it self is unused especially for this one a game, it wouldn't matter if the box or wrapper is opened on one end.

mickeymovz1979
Oh ok. Was this confirmed by your supervisor or is this your personal opinion?

Hannie Mae L.
Yes it is confirmed by my supervisor. As the item itself is brand new, though if you feel that this listing is in violation of some listing practices. I can repotr this one from my end so that our trust and safety team will be able to investigate on it and will be taking action on this within 24-48 hours.

mickeymovz1979
No its ok thank you.

Hannie Mae L.
It's my pleasure. I'm glad I was able to assist you.

Hannie Mae L.
Enjoy the rest of your day! Take care.

Hannie Mae L.
Thank you for your time and for using eBay Live Help. Have a great day!

Chat Session Ended, Goodbye. (5010)

So lets trust eBay workers before collectors who know what they are talking about.

I TOO am going to sell all my opened items as brand new! I'm on the road to riches!

---------------------
MY FS THREAD!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...
---------------------

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:18:58 PM
Holy-SNES (47)
Victoria
The original post was...
I have always wondered: Is this against ebay policy?
Answer is no.
If you have game that is clearly opened are you allowed to list it as brand new?
Answer is yes.

The other topic brought up...
Also, VGA doesn't grade opened games.
Comment = False

I never said we should trust eBay workers before collectors.
I just said that there is nothing in his listing that violates eay policy, and that brand new doesnt necessarily refer to an item being in the exact condition from when it came off the production line or arrived in retail stores.
Your changing the definition of brand new to somewhat of slang that some collectors (mainly sealed collectors) use to describe things.
The true definition of brand new refers to an item that is in unused condition.
From your collectors point of view, you say it the item MUST be in a the state that it was released in.
A collectors definition of Brand New I'm sure will vary if a poll is taken and I'm guessing 50/50.
If you walk into a Nike shop and try on a pair of runners, does this make them no longer brand new?
Are we going to debate about this also, because technically they are no longer brand new, however, I'm sure if you ask others, they will consider (by reasoning) them to be still brand new.
So brand new in regards to SNES games means it MUST be in it original factory state, but brand new in regards to Nike runners means they can be tried on by others?
Maybe I feel this way because we never got games sealed here so I havnt had to put up with these sorta listings.
I dunno. Just my opinion I guess.

Sorry if I sounded anal about this

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:24:08 PM
doesbenfoldfive (162)
(d medley) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Opening a game that is shrink wrapped and calling it 'Brand New' is like a girl saying she still has her 'v' card after only doing it in the 'exit only' chute. It just isn't right. It's tainted goods.

---------------------
MY FS THREAD!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...
---------------------

Edited: 02/12/2012 at 10:24 PM by doesbenfoldfive

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:35:35 PM
TheFrisbee (194)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Max (Ray) Frisbee) < Bowser >
Tennessee
VGA will without a doubt grade opened games. Even it the contents have been removed and the repacked. I am under the impression that the game and everything else can not be in "used" condition. I know of a Gyromite big box that had been opened, quite a few times by myself and it was graded after the person I sold it to sent it in. 100% they grade opened unused games.

Ha, so after taking the time to read over the thread I don't guess it's a debate over if VGA grades open games or not. 
oops.

[18:07] osg: It is my lifelon goal to be in everyone's signature

Current project: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 02/12/2012 at 10:41 PM by TheFrisbee