Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

WATA Certified game breaks 6 figures Earliest known sealed copy of Super Mario Bros. sells for $100,150!

Feb 14 at 4:13:59 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Colorado
Pretty exciting news for us, wanted to share with everyone here.

https://www.ha.com/heritage-aucti...

-------------------------
Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Feb 14 at 4:19:17 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Daaaaaayum. Very nice, grats!

Feb 14 at 4:23:11 PM
Beabull (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
That's a nice house

Feb 14 at 4:45:23 PM
imanerd0011 (20)
(. .) < El Ripper >
United States
WTF! I've never even heard of WATA before. I thought VGA was the main authority on this.

Also, is this the copy of Super Mario Bros that sold last year for $30,000 sealed (although ungraded). If it was, it was quite the investment!

Feb 14 at 4:52:48 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
This one is "sticker sealed"....

What does that mean exactly?

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Feb 14 at 4:58:19 PM
acidjaguar (668)
(Lloyd Christmas) < Bowser >
Montana
Originally posted by: tbone3969

The seal is the Black Nintendo sticker on the top.  One of the original seal styles of NES games.   Pre-shrink wrap..... 

For sale thread located here: click
Wanted to buy: click

Top wants currently: 
Old NES / SNES era newsletters and mailings
Original GB Chinese games (CHN coding on label)

Feb 14 at 4:59:54 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: acidjaguar

Originally posted by: tbone3969

The seal is the Black Nintendo sticker on the top.  One of the original seal styles of NES games.   Pre-shrink wrap..... 

I see.  No wonder this went for so much.  Holy grail status for sure.

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Edited: 02/14/2019 at 05:00 PM by tbone3969

Feb 14 at 5:16:33 PM
mydogsrule (165)

(Jonathan Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Tennessee
Awesome! Congrats to the seller! This is going to look like a steal years down the road.

Feb 14 at 6:15:41 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Holy shit.

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Feb 14 at 6:27:14 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
F'n bonkers

Feb 14 at 6:36:23 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
But it took 3 buyers to go in on it? Not a fan of that. Obviously being bought as an investment in that case, who even gets to display it? A real collector doesn't need someone else holding their hand to make a purchase.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Feb 14 at 6:39:28 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: jonebone

But it took 3 buyers to go in on it? Not a fan of that. Obviously being bought as an investment in that case, who even gets to display it? A real collector doesn't need someone else holding their hand to make a purchase.

That was my thought as well -- doesn't feel as "real" as a straight sale to a single person or company.

Feb 14 at 6:41:14 PM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Congrats Kenneth that's awesome news!

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

Feb 14 at 6:47:14 PM
TrekMD (13)
(Eugenio ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
That's wow, just wow!

Going to the final frontier, gaming....

Feb 14 at 7:17:54 PM
Rareusgold (3)

< Tourian Tourist >
United States

I guess I’m not a collector. And I guess you never paid more than MSRP for a video game. Because if you did. Than your an investor. And just like any collector I have to think of every purchase as an investment. And if you don’t sell me every game you own at your cost! 

And I don’t know who anointed you as the “Collector” Police that defines who or what a collector is! I can say unequivocally that everyone involved is the true definition of a collectors! We are just on a different level than you. And it sounds like your just a little (Maybe a lot) jealous!

So if you want to call me a non collector. What does that make you? My collection is much more substantial than yours. I have sold way less games over the years than you. And the breath of my collection is way broader than yours! So if I’m not a collector. Your not even a video game enthusiast!

Feb 14 at 7:34:25 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: Rareusgold

I guess I'm not a collector. And I guess you never paid more than MSRP for a video game. Because if you did. Than your an investor. And just like any collector I have to think of every purchase as an investment. And if you don't sell me every game you own at your cost! 

And I don't know who anointed you as the "Collector" Police that defines who or what a collector is! I can say unequivocally that everyone involved is the true definition of a collectors! We are just on a different level than you. And it sounds like your just a little (Maybe a lot) jealous!

So if you want to call me a non collector. What does that make you? My collection is much more substantial than yours. I have sold way less games over the years than you. And the breath of my collection is way broader than yours! So if I'm not a collector. Your not even a video game enthusiast!

Im not a real collector, I'm a business man and I'm not ashamed of it. I'll sell just about anything when the price is right, because then I can get even more games! Im also successful enough to buy my games cash, not on credit, and I dont need to beg a bunch of investors to go in with me. If that offends you too bad. You want to buy things publicly then you get to hear public comments on the sale. Maybe get some thicker skin if a public criticism bothers you that bad.

Feb 14 at 7:45:18 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Whoooo hooooo !!! Put em up! Put em uuupppp

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Feb 14 at 7:54:33 PM
ADD EM (1)
< Little Mac >
WOW... getting heated in here real quick so I'll throw in my two cents. Jone Definitely doesn't understand the power in numbers, he is just mad his whole collection is VGA graded. And as far as RareUSGold, He is a collector, a big one and has been in the game longer than all of us, he is an old fart from the Atari days who has done well for himself in his career and spends his spare time collecting and learning the history of rare stuff from all collecting worlds. So before people throw jabs and start calling each other "not real collectors" , do your homework, you might learn something.

Feb 14 at 8:04:48 PM
jonebone (554)
Maryland
Originally posted by: ADD EM

WOW... getting heated in here real quick so I'll throw in my two cents. Jone Definitely doesn't understand the power in numbers, he is just mad his whole collection is VGA graded. And as far as RareUSGold, He is a collector, a big one and has been in the game longer than all of us, he is an old fart from the Atari days who has done well for himself in his career and spends his spare time collecting and learning the history of rare stuff from all collecting worlds. So before people throw jabs and start calling each other "not real collectors" , do your homework, you might learn something.

I work with numbers for a living actually. Sure take out a loan for 100k at 4% if you think you can buy at 100k and have an item that appreciates 10% or more a year then you flip it. Or, save 100k cash buy it and own it outright and plan to take it to the grave unless someone prys it out of your hand. Im the latter type, I live within my means.

Feb 14 at 8:11:05 PM
ADD EM (1)
< Little Mac >
Well maybe your means is a lot smaller than other peoples means, doesn't give you the right label them "not a real collector "Makes you look small. Some people play with Corvettes, some people play with Maseratis....Don't hate the player, just step your game up....

Feb 14 at 8:20:47 PM
jedisam2013 (34)
< Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
At the end of the day I am not a big fan of joint purchases however it does make sense as folks with a common interest are not bidding each other up. It is really an adjustment and speaking to how games are becoming like other hobbies where that is common. Quite frankly, I thought it would have fetched more than the sale price and perhaps would have if people didn't work together. The next sale of this item well that's a different story  

Feb 14 at 8:28:08 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
oh man i haven't laughed so hard in a long time

eBay listings here

Feb 14 at 8:28:41 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: jedisam2013

At the end of the day I am not a big fan of joint purchases however it does make sense as folks with a common interest are not bidding each other up. It is really an adjustment and speaking to how games are becoming like other hobbies where that is common. Quite frankly, I thought it would have fetched more than the sale price and perhaps would have if people didn't work together. The next sale of this item well that's a different story  

That's my initial thought, it makes more sense the more I think about it whether bought as a potential investment piece or even if it will be kept/bought out by one of the parties for themself eventually.

This may shake another one out of the woodwork.   Or if it doesn't, as long as you get a couple of the "I gotta have this" guys bidding against each other it may resell for a nice profit.

Ken/Deniz- congrats on the exposure for Wata!

Feb 14 at 8:30:07 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Jone why does it have to be a battle? the game sold for the price. who the fuck cares if 1 person bought it or twelve.

eBay listings here

Feb 14 at 8:30:19 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
But now we'll see a million new clickbait articles about how that game in your parents' attic could be worth 6 figures!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!1!!!!!!@!1!!@!!@!