Ohio
Nice find!

-------------------------

Apr 05 at 11:52:17 AM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Originally posted by: Woobie

Checked out what was under the label, meant to post earlier today but here it is.

What about the rear label?

Apr 05 at 12:08:35 PM
Woobie (20)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: CZroe

Checked out what was under the label, meant to post earlier today but here it is.

What about the rear label?

Had no back label, part of what drew me to it 

Apr 05 at 12:11:23 PM
CZroe (31)
(Julian Emmett Turner II) < Bowser >
Georgia
Ha ha! Awesome.

My guess is that this copy was used for marketing the game. Perhaps a review copy or one sent for advertisers to play around with before making a commercial. The "label" seems to be cut from other marketing materials.

Apr 05 at 1:37:03 PM
Pr3tty F1y (0)

< Cherub >

Ha ha! Awesome.

My guess is that this copy was used for marketing the game. Perhaps a review copy or one sent for advertisers to play around with before making a commercial. The "label" seems to be cut from other marketing materials.
I'm going review copy. I didn't mean to try to rain on your parade with the checksums = retail. It's really an awesome piece. I think you should still try to dump it, if you have the means, to verify it/back it up. THere is a chance that, despite what the labels say, the roms could hold different data. And while the checksums match retail, the retail release actually used a 256K PRG rom and 128K CHR rom, so they are split differntly in your prototype copy: http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=543

Apr 05 at 1:42:15 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
That is really cool man.

Apr 05 at 1:46:46 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Here's my question for those more knowledgable of preserving value for protos-- what should he do with the false-label. Personally, I wouldn't tear it off anymore. It might have been cut from promo material but it still seems "original" to the intent of the cart. I think it belongs with the game and adds a bit of provenance.

-------------------------
Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Apr 05 at 2:00:52 PM
Woobie (20)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: rlh

Here's my question for those more knowledgable of preserving value for protos-- what should he do with the false-label. Personally, I wouldn't tear it off anymore. It might have been cut from promo material but it still seems "original" to the intent of the cart. I think it belongs with the game and adds a bit of provenance.
After lifting it up the label pretty well came off (the fake one). I did snip around the tape to "clean it up" but I do plan to keep the "fake label" with the cart itself.

The tape glue seemed pretty old, soon as it lifted it lost all of its stick

Apr 05 at 7:35:55 PM
Woobie (20)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: Pr3tty F1y

Ha ha! Awesome.

I'm going review copy. I didn't mean to try to rain on your parade with the checksums = retail. It's really an awesome piece. I think you should still try to dump it, if you have the means, to verify it/back it up. THere is a chance that, despite what the labels say, the roms could hold different data. And while the checksums match retail, the retail release actually used a 256K PRG rom and 128K CHR rom, so they are split differntly in your prototype copy: http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=543

Ya, was hoping for it to be a different version than retail just because maybe its "something new" but either way finding a proto is exciting for me. My parade is rained on a little, but not much  

Apr 06 at 7:34:38 AM
mydogsrule (165)

(Jonathan Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Tennessee

Ha ha! Awesome.

Ya, was hoping for it to be a different version than retail just because maybe its "something new" but either way finding a proto is exciting for me. My parade is rained on a little, but not much  

This is a good find regardless if it's the same as retail. Finding Nes prototypes with notable differences especially very early is a rare feat. With this said, are you now thinking about venturing into the proto collecting world?

Apr 06 at 7:26:26 PM
NesQuest (7)
< Crack Trooper >
Wow, what a find! Goofy labels pay off  

Apr 09 at 11:45:51 AM
Woobie (20)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: mydogsrule

Ha ha! Awesome.

This is a good find regardless if it's the same as retail. Finding Nes prototypes with notable differences especially very early is a rare feat. With this said, are you now thinking about venturing into the proto collecting world?

Honestly, not sure! There is a few "childhood" favorites I always have more nostolgia for that are fun to get. Other than that I dont think I would get any other protos unless A) they fell into my lap for the right price, B) I stumbled upon them (like in this case). 

Basically, I wouldnt seek them out specifically, but I would definately keep any I came across