Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

*** ended***NWC-related items Ended!! Various items related to NWC and some other related competitions

LOCKED TOPIC

Jun 06 at 8:13:49 PM
rbudrick (4)
(Rob Budrick) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Hampshire
Edit, per mod recommendaton, a list of current high bids:
https://docs.google.com/spreadshe...
Thanks very much to a3quit4s for making this list!

Hi everyone!

I firstly wanted to point out how much kindness so many of you have shown me over the years and espeically lately.  I appreciate it more than I could ever say in words here.  You have made my life better, made me a more knowledgeable person, and have been incredibly generous in so many ways.  You have truly enriched my life. Though I haven't been much on NA for a while, as I mostly hung at digitpress.com, lostlevels.org, and several others forums for many years (though so many of you were in all!), you have always been in my heart and I think you guys deserve first shot at these items.    

As you may have heard, I am selling these due to multiple health issues, and for my family.  It pains me greatly to let these go, as I spent 10 years researching the NWC, conducting interviews with finalists, staffers, crew, and more.  I initially sought out to find once and for all how many carts exist, and how many were made. Later, I realized I had so much info, it could be a book on NWC and all early game competitions prior to it.  Bascially, a history on competitive gaming with a high focus on NWC.  I ended up making many friends along the way and I thank you so much for that and all you have given me. I gave up on the book and the research in 2014. It was like drinking from a firehouse and I got burnt out.  It was too much.

But, it's time to let these go to better homes.  I can't take em with me in the end.  I always thought I'd donate these all to a museum someday, but reality has made this impossible.  I can dream that maybe the new owners will do so someday.

I firstly wanted to say that I know my prices are high on these.  Maybe higher than ebay or other known private deals.  I also know there won't be anyone else selling some of these items because some are unique.   I'd prefer not to be criticised for the pricing, as it pains me enough to get rid of these already and if they don't sell, they don't, and I accept that.  I'll make it up by selling other things eventually and will still cherish these.

As for auction rules, the bidding will end at midnight 6/8 EST.  Please don't PM me questions, as I want full disclosure between all bidders.  If I find out any have given other bidders false info (say, "Oh, he already sold that! Don't bother!"), you are banned from bidding and will not be considered ever for anything I sell.  Ever.  There are reserve prices. I will accept nothing below them, so please do not inquire on that.  Again, you may be tempted to criticize, but these are my babies and this hurts enough, so please don't.  If you can't afford it, this auction wasn't meant for you, so at least enjoy the show and be kind to other bidders.  Items are to be bid on separately, so this is actually multiple auctions.  Do not try to PM me for a backdoor deal.   I would be a hypocrite if I said no sniping near auction end.  Many of these items I got through sniping.  I know people despise the process, but they should have sniped too if they missed out, in my opinion, as no one stopped you from doing so. Again, midnight Saturday night.

Without further ado, here's the items:

This is, as far as I know, a one-of-a-kind banner that (as told by the original seller, if I remember correctly) over the entrance of the Oakland event.  It is huge, like 3ft by 8 or 9, roughly.   It is made of something paper-like, but sorta like shredded plastic or fiberglass or something, I'm not really sure.   It is thin but durable.  Apologies to anyone I described it as tarp-like, as it was thinner than I remembered.  I hadn't taken it out of its tube for 12+ years and forgot.   Bidding starts at $3000.

12 pages of documentation from the event from finalist Adam Misosky. Includes Affidavit of Finalist Eligibility & Liability/Publicity Release (2 pages), For Travel Companion Only Liability/Publicity Release (2p), Personal Data Form (1p), Letter advising finals are two weeks away which details other items that came with the letter (weekend itinerary, weekend travel/accomodations/prize info, Official rules, airline tickets) none of which are included (1p), letter that came with the NWC cart to finalists congratulating them, which also included a videotape of the finals competition (tape and cart not included, hahaha) (1p), tentative schedule of events (maybe this is the one mentioned in the first letter I mentioned?) (1p), Letter advising of hotel accomodations, meals allowance and more (2p),   letter asking finalist to fill out forms to submit for registration process for finals (1p).  Certificate of completion in the NWC (1p)
Bidding starts at $1000

Baseball card given out at Powerfest 94.  Bidding starts at $150

Pin from Powerfest 94.  Boom Sauce beer not included in auction.  I will never give that up.  Getcher own!  It's amazing.   Bidding starts at $100.

Summer Challenge cup.  Rarer than hell.  Only one I've ever seen. Bidding starts at $400.

Campus Challenge cup. Also rarer than hell.  Bidding starts at $400.

Black NWC hat in incredible condition, As far as I can tell, it has never been worn.   A tiny bit dusty from being on display on a shelf in my game room, but amazing condition.  Bidding starts at $300

Powerfest '94 hat. I have 5 of these.  Bidding starts at $150 each.

Play it Loud shirt from Powerfest '94.  Size large. Absolutely amazing condition, though wrinkly, but feel free to iron it.  The orange is so bright, it's like the 90s came back to blind you.  Pic doesn't do it justice.  This shirt is so loud I went nearly deaf taking a pic of it.  Bidding starts at $200.

Mario Mania patches. I have 15 of them. They were given out at various Nintendo competitions, including NWC, and I think Campus Challenge.  Freebies, I think, but I'm not really sure. Some of these I snagged myself at NWC in Worcester, MA (no, not Boston contrary to popular belief). However, I don't know which ones as I mixed them all up. Bidding starts at $125 each.

Weird ass flyer I got from Wal Mart. Almost unknown competition, as far as I know. Almost certainly just printed from a laser printer.  Bidding starts at...I dunno. Offer me something reasonable, hahaha.

A true jewel of the collection.  I think any historian would agree this is historically, if not monetarily more significant than the carts.  Initially, I thought this had everything the Misosky document collection had, but it seems there is so much this has the other doesn't, and vice versa.   This includes the NWC folder finalists were given for their documentation, along with 3 pamphlets explaining attractions at Universal Studios Hollywood, plus a pamphlet describing lot of other socal attractions, the same letter Adam got explaining finals are two weeks away which details other items that came with the letter (weekend itinerary, weekend travel/accomodations/prize info, Official rules, airline tickets) (1p), the competition rules are included twice...once on official NWC letterhead (3p), and another without the letterhead (2p), a document explaining transportation, itinerary, and hotel accomodations, and much more (4p), the lyrics to We Are the Champions that finalists had to so embarrasingly sing, with instructions to rehearse, the poor bastards (1p), a handwritten then photocopied letter explaining to guests what badge the guests of competitors had to wear, the weekend itinierary (2p), interview schedule with camera crews and interview guidelines (3p), a revised itinerary (1p), and lastly a doc explaining group leaders and GPC will be available for any questions (1p).  Because I initially thought this had everything Misosky's doc collection had, but I now realize it does not, bidding starts at $1750.

Uh oh.  Ladies, look out.  If your man is wearing this, know the women will be all over him. DO NOT be surprised when they whisper crap like "sploosh" when they walk by him.  Course, ladies, if you own this, the neckbeards will m'lady the living crap outta you and buy you flowers and comb their neckbeards even and tell you you should go for a nice guy like him instead of those Chads and Kyles.  You have been warned.  The patch is NWC, I don't think the jacket is.  I think someone just put the patch on this windbreaker.  Hey, it even has a hidden hood.  So, since I don't think the windbreaker is official, we're kinda just selling the patch here. Bidding starts at $200. But seriosuly, the windbreaker.  So awesome.

NWC shirt, size small.  For children or petitie women. Excellent condition.  Bidding starts at $300.

Size large.  This shirt I have never seen anywhere before.  Certainly much rarer than the shirt above.  It is in amazing condition and still folded store-style in a nice square and still in one of those taped bags that promo shirts often come in. I carefully undid the tape on the bag and folded it back into it after the pics.  Never been worn, I'm sure. Bidding starts at $500.

Mario Madness Money.  Weird as hell.  I was once told finalists received these, or maybe it was quarter or semi finalists or something that didn't move on.  Spendable in Nintendo's store (pre-internet), I think (really, I'm not sure), or maybe just at the show.  I don't know. Hoping someone can fill me in on this.  It's weird as hell.  Bidding starts at $100.

An unripped ticket from the Oaklend event. Bidding starts at $200

This poster is in absolutely amazing condition, like it came right off the press. No wrinkles, tears, folderd corners, nada.  It has been stored between very stiff cardboard and should probably be framed in an archival frame.  No wrinkles, tears, bent corners, beautiful gloss.  Very well cared for.   You will not find one in better condition.  Bidding starts at $750.

Though the special edition Nintendo Power mag for The Wizard was only handed out at movie theaters when The Wizard first aired, I always considered these three a trifecta.  The Powerfest booklet is more rare than the NWC one, but nearly identical in content. I have one Wizard mag, one Powerfest.  I have 8 of the NWC pamphlet because when I met Ben Smith, the famous Game Play Counsellor at NWC 1990, I grabbed a stack of 7 and had him sign each.  The eighth is unsigned.  
Powefest booklet: Bidding starts at $200
NWC signed booklets: Bidding starts at $200 each
NWC unsigned booklet: Bidding starts at $100

Seven yellow passes/badges.  Bidding starts at $225 per badge. Top 7 bidders get one. 

And finally, two of the "other" NWC grays. They were in the Powerwalk where people could play lots of games at kiosks that were not yet publicly available.  These carts were purchased from the nephew of the VP of the company that did the event organizing.  The winner will be able to see the emails proving this.  The nephew is known in the community, but not very public.  He can confirm along with others that know him.  They are different than the final releases. See:
https://web.archive.org/web/20071...~xtreme/SF/NES/ng2/index.html
My NG2 cart is identical to this one.  It was dumped by Skrybe.  The Solstice one he said had different code than the released one, though I haven't played through it to find out what.  Yes, these protos have been seen in the wild before, yes, they have been dumped. But these are proven from the NWC.  For the provenance, bidding starts at $2000 each.

Happy bidding everyone!  Again thanks so much for all.  You are the best.

-Rob

-------------------------
I am the god of Hellfire and I bring you FIRE!

Edited: 06/09/2019 at 12:09 AM by rbudrick

Jun 06 at 8:18:17 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Hey thanks for using the forums here, not seeing anything in your post?

Also, we havent allowed bid editing in the past. I get that you want people to edit bids up, but people have also edited bids out or tried to edit them down. I'd encourage you to allow people to make unique posts for each bid to remove all confusion.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jun 06 at 8:25:20 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Sorry, but we can't allow bid edits. It will cause too much confusion and potential headaches. We want everyone to know auctions are on the level. Thanks for understanding.

Jun 06 at 8:31:24 PM
Sorn (41)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
Ready to see the sauce.

*waits eagerly*

Mods - how can we fairly handle the reserve? Seems like the reserve must be known otherwise seller can just state reserve wasn't met and back out?

Why not just start the items at the reserve price Rob? That way someone doesn't think they won something they didn't?

THPS sucks

Edited: 06/06/2019 at 08:35 PM by Sorn

Jun 06 at 8:40:59 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
Minnesota
Originally posted by: Sorn

Ready to see the sauce.

Why not just start the items at the reserve price Rob? That way someone doesn't think they won something they didn't?

That was how I understood his description, perhaps I'm wrong. That's correct though, we also can't have reserves on NA auctions. If someone bids the starting price the item should sell. Thanks

Jun 06 at 8:41:22 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Kinda feeling like I'm going to hang here and refresh this page. Not like I didn't just send Cobra about $1,100 for Samson or anything lol

Jun 06 at 8:49:20 PM
98ViperGTS (21)
(Brad ) < Meka Chicken >
Newfoundland
😏

Jun 06 at 9:49:41 PM
Sorn (41)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
Originally posted by: a3quit4s

Kinda feeling like I'm going to hang here and refresh this page. Not like I didn't just send Cobra about $1,100 for Samson or anything lol

Did Viper just get called Cobra?

Totally awesome hahahahaha  

THPS sucks

Jun 06 at 9:57:57 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
I don't think so I think he was reacting to my humblebrag haha

Jun 06 at 10:09:26 PM
rbudrick (4)
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: jonebone

Hey thanks for using the forums here, not seeing anything in your post?

Also, we havent allowed bid editing in the past. I get that you want people to edit bids up, but people have also edited bids out or tried to edit them down. I'd encourage you to allow people to make unique posts for each bid to remove all confusion.
OK, noted and corrected above!  Thanks!!

Jun 06 at 10:12:09 PM
rbudrick (4)
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: B.A.

Ready to see the sauce.

That was how I understood his description, perhaps I'm wrong. That's correct though, we also can't have reserves on NA auctions. If someone bids the starting price the item should sell. Thanks

The reserves are stated above. Did you mean no secret reserves?  Just wanted to be sure, else I will have to cancel all the above.  Please let me know, as I don't want to violate forum rules.  Did I miss this in the auction guidelines thread?
Thanks!
-Rob

Edited: 06/06/2019 at 10:12 PM by rbudrick

Jun 06 at 10:24:16 PM
Sorn (41)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California

I don't think so I think he was reacting to my humblebrag haha

Oh, I thought you accidentally called Viper Cobra. Nevermind me  

Looks like some nice things there Rob. Can we get a size on the poster? Hard to tell. I thought it was a smaller one, but maybe its bigger than I thought?

THPS sucks

Edited: 06/06/2019 at 10:26 PM by Sorn

Jun 06 at 10:25:22 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Yeah man I'm so glad I joined these forums.

I'm opening up for the NWC pamphlet unsigned for $100. I wish I had $750 for that poster that is insane.

Can we get a Google Doc of item, high bidder, and current bid for tracking?

Edited: 06/06/2019 at 10:28 PM by a3quit4s

Jun 06 at 10:36:29 PM
rbudrick (4)
New Hampshire

Yeah man I'm so glad I joined these forums.

I'm opening up for the NWC pamphlet unsigned for $100. I wish I had $750 for that poster that is insane.

Can we get a Google Doc of item, high bidder, and current bid for tracking?

I would encourage you to make one, because I'm tired as hell, hahaha.  But seriously, if anyone wants to, you are awesome, but don't feel you need to. Otherwise, I'll just sift through the posts in the end.

-Rob

Edited: 06/06/2019 at 10:36 PM by rbudrick

Jun 06 at 10:48:00 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
If no one has done it by the time I get to work I'll whip one up. That will at least save you from reading posts older than the doc but you may need to anyways to make sure the bidding/ high bidders are correct.

Jun 06 at 11:11:43 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
Minnesota
Originally posted by: rbudrick

Ready to see the sauce.

The reserves are stated above. Did you mean no secret reserves?  Just wanted to be sure, else I will have to cancel all the above.  Please let me know, as I don't want to violate forum rules.  Did I miss this in the auction guidelines thread?
Thanks!
-Rob

Here is the specific rule: Auctions may include a reserve price or buy it now price, as long they are made public. After the first bid, the reserve price or BIN may not be changed. We do not allow Silent Reserves.

Jun 06 at 11:12:52 PM
rbudrick (4)
New Hampshire

Ready to see the sauce.

Thanks!
-Rob

Here is the specific rule: Auctions may include a reserve price or buy it now price, as long they are made public. After the first bid, the reserve price or BIN may not be changed. We do not allow Silent Reserves.

Ok, cool, so we are good here, right?  Thanks!
-Rob

Jun 06 at 11:14:02 PM
rbudrick (4)
New Hampshire

If no one has done it by the time I get to work I'll whip one up. That will at least save you from reading posts older than the doc but you may need to anyways to make sure the bidding/ high bidders are correct.

That's incredibly kind of you, wow!  This is what I mean.  You folks are always so amazing.  Thanks, a3quit4s!!

-Rob

Jun 06 at 11:25:53 PM
rbudrick (4)
New Hampshire
Oh, by the way, the poster is 19.5" x 13.25"

-Rob

Jun 06 at 11:29:34 PM
rbudrick (4)
New Hampshire
BTW, "Mario Madness Money" appears exactly once in Google on DP:

https://forum.digitpress.com/foru...

-Rob

Edited: 06/06/2019 at 11:30 PM by rbudrick

Jun 06 at 11:55:54 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

BTW, "Mario Madness Money" appears exactly once in Google on DP:

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-66913

-Rob

Please only bump this thread once per day, because its going to get convoluted fast with the amount of actual items. 

I also recommend an itemized list of bids/ amounts in the first post so everyone can clearly see what items, who the high bidder is, and the current bid. 

To everyone else- please refrain from the chit chat, only post if it is a bid or relevant to the auction. 

Op- no need to respond to this post. Cool items and good luck. 

Jun 07 at 1:18:10 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Damn man I'd love one of those Mario Madness patches; there was a Mario Madness truck at the zoo when I went as a kid and they gave these out, no clue where mine went. Alas, no way I explain away a $200 (Canada bucks) patch to the wife. Good luck with the auction!

Jun 07 at 1:19:48 AM
Jmason333 (2)
(Justin Andrew Mason) < Little Mac >
Kentucky
I surely would love to snag that Solstice prototype to add to my Solstice Collection, but since I'm not specificly NWC collector, the $2k starting bid is quite a bit out of the value range for me. It sure would sit nice with my other Solstice Prototype, though! It has a neat story behind it, and that's going to make a really great addition to a NWC collectors stash though, for sure.

---   ---   ---
I am interested in acquiring "Solstice" NES related items. Please, check out my Solstice collection and "buy list" for more info: http://staffofdemnos.com/list/...
Have something not already on the list? Let me know! You can also follow my project -- "Solstice: Quest for the Staff of Demnos - Historical Project" on Facebook.
---   ---   ---

Jun 07 at 2:37:32 AM
Archon 1981 (20)
(Stephan Reese) < Meka Chicken >
California
Will the reserve on items that dont receive bids be adjusted and relisted?

Listen on Sound Cloud: https://soundcloud.com/collectors...
Listen on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podca...
Find me on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/archon1...

Jun 07 at 8:57:11 AM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia

That's incredibly kind of you, wow!  This is what I mean.  You folks are always so amazing.  Thanks, a3quit4s!!

-Rob

Google doc link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadshe...

Shoot me your email Rob if you want me to add you to edit to keep track - I'll also be updating as I read new posts and keeping track of the last edit on the sheet.

Edited: 06/07/2019 at 09:16 AM by a3quit4s