Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Saw Joker Last Night, What Did Everyone Think?

Oct 11 at 9:56:41 AM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: ZeldaFreak

Originally posted by: coffeewithmrsaturn

I enjoyed the slowness (character development), grittiness, exploration of mental illness, and some parallels to current politics/society, but there are definitely some racial, misogynistic, incel overtones, and I can't tell what the intended message there is. I mean, if the director just wants me to be wondering what his intended message was, then it worked.

I have to admit, I really don't understand where people are getting misogynistic or incel overtones from this movie beyond all the massively overblown media bullshit. Like the race thing, I guess, Arthur's "relationship" is with a black woman, but it isn't really about the race with that. The woman just happens to be black and Arthur just happens to be white, the race of them isn't an important factor to that aspect of the plot at all. And as far as the other two go, I really just don't quite understand where that's coming from at all honestly, I'd love it if you could shed some light on that to help me understand a bit better where you're getting those overtones from.

I think... well, first of all I think not all movies have to have some profound message to them, I think there's nothing wrong with just trying to make a good movie and tell a good story without trying to gleam some kind of a message out of it. But with that said, if this movie does have a message, I think it's just that we should give mentally ill people as much care as we can and not treat them like completely fucked up individuals, to not treat them as lower than everyone else. I think the movie is just saying that we should treat mentally ill people with just as much kindness and respect as anyone else, and being mentally ill myself, that's definitely a message I can get behind.

Thanks for being respectful in how you followed up my post.  I don't want to get too much into it, but besides his "girlfriend", there is also his social worker and the woman at the very end of the movie.  It's sort of a pattern of rejection or inability to connect with these women who are supposed to be caring for him (and all three happen to be black).  I'm not saying I'm 100% certain that this is all on purpose and has a grand message behind it, but I thought it was worth thinking about.  One of those things where once you see it or it's pointed out to you, it can be hard to unsee it.

-------------------------
Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)
My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Edited: 10/11/2019 at 10:04 AM by coffeewithmrsaturn

Oct 11 at 9:59:40 AM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: cartman

Well if the man wants a relationship with the black woman then surely he is affirming her, isn't that a good thing? If she was white instead then the issue could've been "oh look why aren't there black character" so then what the fuck do you want? But that's how it is with this social justice shit you just spin one way or the other until it fits.

A post that dismissive makes me wonder if you think there is not vast social injustice.

edit:  To be fair, we probably have different experiences since we are living in two very different countries.

Have any GBA NFR games with back stickers for sale or trade?  See my want list below :)

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."  --Upton Sinclair

Edited: 10/11/2019 at 10:08 AM by coffeewithmrsaturn

Oct 11 at 10:20:47 AM
cartman (16)
(The Boss) < King Solomon >
Sweden

Well if the man wants a relationship with the black woman then surely he is affirming her, isn't that a good thing? If she was white instead then the issue could've been "oh look why aren't there black character" so then what the fuck do you want? But that's how it is with this social justice shit you just spin one way or the other until it fits.

A post that dismissive makes me wonder if you think there is not vast social injustice.

edit:  To be fair, we probably have different experiences since we are living in two very different countries.

How could i have made it more inclusive? What type of character should and shouldn't be black in order for you to approve?

Oct 11 at 10:31:35 AM
coffeewithmrsaturn (366)
(Chris ) < Bowser >
California

How could i have made it more inclusive? What type of character should and shouldn't be black in order for you to approve?

I was referring to your last sentence which in my view reflects the spirit of your post. The phrase "social justice shit" sounds pretty dismissive to me, as if social justice is not an important issue.

Oct 11 at 10:37:14 AM
cartman (16)
Sweden

I was referring to your last sentence which in my view reflects the spirit of your post. The phrase "social justice shit" sounds pretty dismissive to me, as if social justice is not an important issue.

It is shit yes and i gave a perfectly good example of it. It's not inherently shit but that's exactly what it has morphed into: hordes of special interest groups on a mission to get offended by just about everything imaginable trying to bully others into silence and submissions.

Oct 11 at 4:17:47 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Oct 11 at 4:52:31 PM
punch-out!!84 (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
For some reason I was mesmerized by watching his feet flop as he ran throughout the movie. It must have been because he ran so flat footed.

Oct 11 at 5:14:55 PM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < King Solomon >
United States
As a fan of character and film in general, I am blown away by how well it turned out. Taking pages from the The Killing Joke and Dark Knight Returns, as well as cinema greats like Taxi Driver and the King of Comedy, they have really created a dark and disturbing journey into the mind of the ultimate super villain. And while Joker stays true to the essence of those, it largely tells it's own grim tragic tale.

Joaquin Phoenix owns every second he is on screen. Making you pity him, laugh at him, and be disgusted with him, all in the same scene at times. He embodies the character, and works to create an excellent deconstruction of the Joker.

Yes it is dark and gritty and violent, and that is going to upset people. But that only shows how effective the film is. A film that didn't shock and anger people, really be worthy of carrying the Joker name.

Edited: 10/11/2019 at 05:16 PM by fox

Oct 11 at 5:20:13 PM
cartman (16)
Sweden
Originally posted by: fox

As a fan of character and film in general, I am blown away by how well it turned out. Taking pages from the The Killing Joke and Dark Knight Returns, as well as cinema greats like Taxi Driver and the King of Comedy, they have really created a dark and disturbing journey into the mind of the ultimate super villain. And while Joker stays true to the essence of those, it largely tells it's own grim tragic tale.

Joaquin Phoenix owns every second he is on screen. Making you pity him, laugh at him, and be disgusted with him, all in the same scene at times. He embodies the character, and works to create an excellent deconstruction of the Joker.

Yes it is dark and gritty and violent, and that is going to upset people. But that only shows how effective the film is. A film that didn't shock and anger people, really be worthy of carrying the Joker name.
You think it's better or worse than Taxi Driver and King of Comedy?

Oct 11 at 7:38:06 PM
fox (15)
(Gunslinger Fox) < King Solomon >
United States

You think it's better or worse than Taxi Driver and King of Comedy?
Taxi Driver is iconic, nobody is here to say Joker is better than Taxi Driver.   

Joker is more like a Falling Down or American History X level of the whole "man on the edge" sub-genre

Oct 13 at 10:41:33 AM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
I've seen this movie twice now & love it. Might go again today.

When the going gets tough the tough get gaming
Click Link below for my for sale thread

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...