Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel - PAL, NOE variant with original (?) US box

May 31, 2016 at 7:50:47 PM
lumberpile (0)
< Cherub >
Western Australia
Hi all, I recently acquired an ex-rental copy of SNES Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel. On initial inspection I noticed that it was a PAL (NOE variant) cartridge in a US box and that it had been swapped at some point in it's life.

I then noticed however on the back, an original distributor sticker (GMC Australia, never heard of them, but 7 digit phone numbers haven't been around since the mid-90s), suggesting it was probably sold to the rental store like this from the distributor as new. And the distribution sticker has been strategically placed to cover up the "FOR SALE AND US IN US, CANADA AND MEXICO" text.

Any other Australian/PAL collectors seen this sorta thing before?

May 31, 2016 at 7:59:04 PM
nintendopower_4_ever (75)

(john smith) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Originally posted by: lumberpile

Hi all, I recently acquired an ex-rental copy of SNES Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel. On initial inspection I noticed that it was a PAL (NOE variant) cartridge in a US box and that it had been swapped at some point in it's life.

I then noticed however on the back, an original distributor sticker (GMC Australia, never heard of them, but 7 digit phone numbers haven't been around since the mid-90s), suggesting it was probably sold to the rental store like this from the distributor as new. And the distribution sticker has been strategically placed to cover up the "FOR SALE AND US IN US, CANADA AND MEXICO" text.

I don't collect PAL, but a few years ago I bought an unused copy of Zero Squirrel from Australia with a PAL cart and that GMC sticker on the back of a USA NTSC box and it came with the USA NTSC instruction manual.
I think it was the only thing I've ever bought from Australia and it's the only PAL game I've ever bought too. I never took the sticker off of the box because it was kind of interesting, but I swapped out the cartridge with an NTSC copy and still have it around here somewhere. lol  

May 31, 2016 at 8:01:17 PM
lumberpile (0)
< Cherub >
Western Australia

May 31, 2016 at 8:02:43 PM
lumberpile (0)
< Cherub >
Western Australia
Originally posted by: nintendopower_4_ever

Originally posted by: lumberpile

I don't collect PAL, but a few years ago I bought an unused copy of Zero Squirrel from Australia with a PAL cart and that GMC sticker on the back of a USA NTSC box and it came with the USA NTSC instruction manual.
I think it was the only thing I've ever bought from Australia and it's the only PAL game I've ever bought too. I never took the sticker off of the box because it was kind of interesting, but I swapped out the cartridge with an NTSC copy and still have it around here somewhere. lol  

Interesting! I guess the distributor might not have bothered getting a specific box printed for Australia, since it wasn't distributed in large numbers (and the only other existing PAL boxes I have seen are German/Scandanavian)

May 31, 2016 at 8:08:33 PM
nintendopower_4_ever (75)

(john smith) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Yep. That's the same sticker as mine.

I think I paid something like $100 US for it just to get the box and instructions because the NTSC instruction booklet is really hard to find. Now complete NTSC copies are getting close to $1000