Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

caltron variant???

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:30:19 PM
justabum (142)
(Bryan Digilio) < El Ripper >
Nebraska
ok, been a while since I've paid attention but aren't calton back labels black?  I know I had a pal caltron with a blue back label but it was light blue not the color in the picture here.  Anyone have any insight here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CALTRON-6-IN-...

-------------------------
If consequenses dictate your course of action, then it doesn't matter what is right, it's only wrong if you get caught. -maynard james keenan

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:32:05 PM
mb7241 (183)
(Matt B.) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Yeah, I saw that...definitely strange.

Edit: Also note that the sleeve is different from the standard, as well...2 lines of text instead of 1.

Edit 2:  The manual's front cover is also different...  This makes me wonder if the box is any different at all...

Answering any and all questions related to video game collecting.  Guaranteed true and honest answers from a man with nearly 20 years in the community.  Prices for these answers vary depending on the question.  For all inquiries, please PM me.

Edited: 04/24/2008 at 04:53 PM by mb7241

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:44:13 PM
michiganfan2 (123)
(Mike Pitsch) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
That varient is listed in NGD's game list.

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:49:12 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
My understanding of this is that it was the version that was released in Europe iirc. I have only seen a handful of the blue back labels ever.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:59:07 PM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
(Gimmick, Mr.) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
hmm, interesting. I'll definately be watchin this one because I still need to pick up a caltron.

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:09:21 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
Originally posted by: NationalGameDepot

My understanding of this is that it was the version that was released in Europe iirc. I have only seen a handful of the blue back labels ever.
~~NGD

I personally doubt that it was a European release, because I've never seen it for sale in Europe (any Caltron for that matter).  I've seen at least one, possibly two of these, for sale before, both in North America.  My guess is that it was the first release, as the Myriad likely came after the last batch of Caltrons, and the Myriads have the black back-label. 

Apr 24, 2008 at 10:59:25 PM
nes_king (63)
(josh .) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin
huh weird, anyone here have a copy of this with that manual???? or that sleeve?

i still need the manual for this but not sure about this...

sell me your flintstones surprise at dinosaur peak MANUAL..

Apr 24, 2008 at 11:04:14 PM
NOFRIENDO-banned (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Chad Tukiendorf) < Ridley Wrangler >
Wisconsin

Nevermind

Edited: 04/24/2008 at 11:04 PM by NOFRIENDO-banned

Apr 24, 2008 at 11:50:01 PM
Jumpman Jr. (47)
(Will Bowins) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Well, the seller's from Canada, any possibility there?

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:48:31 AM
mb7241 (183)
(Matt B.) < Bowser >
Tennessee
(Edited my original post...I'm curious about if the box would be any different, knowing that the cart, manual, and sleeve are all different.)

All I know is that it's another variant I need... I'd love to be able to bid on it, but I have to sell the games I'm auctioning off in my thread in BS&T.

Answering any and all questions related to video game collecting.  Guaranteed true and honest answers from a man with nearly 20 years in the community.  Prices for these answers vary depending on the question.  For all inquiries, please PM me.

Apr 25, 2008 at 2:56:48 AM
Orrimarrko (38)
(Polk High's Finest) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Yeah, I thought that the Caltron manuals were maroon/purple looking; not blue.

Apr 25, 2008 at 4:12:25 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I still stand by the fact that I think they are from Europe. The last 2 of these that sold came from across the pond and the sellers said they found them in the wild when I messaged them about it. I have not proof, just speculation...and we all know what that gets ya (a big steamy pile of nothing)
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Apr 25, 2008 at 5:23:58 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
With all of the other regions these are popping up in, with all different labels and sometimes different casings, but seemingly the same program, I think I will postulate...

NTDEC under pressure from Nintendo in asian countries decided to liquidate their excess stock in chipboards and even complete shells, to all kinds of foreign countries. There've been instances in south and north america, and Europe really wouldn't be out of the question.

I think NTDEC may well have handled the initial USA distribution. Under the name Caltron, they may very well have been a few of these taiwanese guys or a representative of them, in order to maximize profit instead of just "pawning them off." But after it didn't work, they liquidated...to another TX group calling themselves Myriad, and to some other distributors in other countries.

I'm thinking this is the case after Xevious posted a shot of the inside of his new brazillian 6-in-1 and it's definitely a "caltron" board. It's too much of a coincidence that there are multiple "alternative" 6-in-1's all over the friggin world under different names/distributors...even in the USA.

So, yes, I think the Myriads may date from the time these were liquidated off to Europe and Brazil and possibly other places. Since the ROM says Caltron, I wonder if these others do as well. That would make Multi-Acao and this blue-back one brothers of the Myriad, and sons of the Caltron.

I think regardless, Caltron/Myriad wasn't the beginning, rather near the end of the pirate chain, like leaves on a branch.

And I also am starting to think that their inclusion as canon is silly because of this. As in, these and Panesians, but not early Sachens or other import multis. But this isn't the first time that's been said, and anyways it's a potentially fun and inflammatory discussion for another time.

Apr 25, 2008 at 10:03:36 AM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Very interesting, that is cool.

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!