Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2015 Weekly Contests Presents: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out/Punch Out Challenge ends Sunday, 9/6/15 at 11 PM NA time

Sep 7, 2015 at 2:52:38 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Nice win briguy! Seems fitting that you would win this one. Nice donation mattbep!

-------------------------
 2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Sep 7, 2015 at 3:24:28 AM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Congrats!

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:31:17 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: BriGuy82

Well I'm happy I broke into the 2:30's finally. First kd was at 1:00, second I think was either 1:43 or 1:45. Your gonna earn those 3 points this week Bearcat!

I figured you were going to pull yourself off the mat like Rocky Sunday night and beat me by one second. I guess I got lucky!

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Edited: 09/07/2015 at 08:32 AM by bearcat-doug

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:34:01 AM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: mattbep

This letter was, like, the mintiest letter ever to be in an opened box. Early congrats to the winner. Frame this beast and put it on your game room wall.

Thanks Matt! That was a cool idea for a give away. Its definitely gonna go up on the wall!

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:50:51 AM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Well I'm happy I broke into the 2:30's finally. First kd was at 1:00, second I think was either 1:43 or 1:45. Your gonna earn those 3 points this week Bearcat!

I figured you were going to pull yourself off the mat like Rocky Sunday night and beat me by one second. I guess I got lucky!

Lol, nope you are the undisputed NA Punch-Out champ, congrats dude! I had some really nice attempts yesterday but I couldn't get any second knockdowns in the 1:40 range. I must've reset the game easily over a thousand times last week. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:02:21 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Lol, nope you are the undisputed NA Punch-Out champ, congrats dude! I had some really nice attempts yesterday but I couldn't get any second knockdowns in the 1:40 range. I must've reset the game easily over a thousand times last week. 

I tried to give it another shot yesterday morning, but I got the delay pattern on my first ten attempts in a row. I managed to get a TKO in the 2:50s on the 11th try, but I figured I had no chance of beating my time by the end of the contest. I legitimately wore out the reset button on my NES. If I hold it down, it won't make a solid connection and keeps resetting on its own. I guess that I'll have to hope my save files don't get erased whenever I want to play a game with a battery backup from now on.

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:33:43 AM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey

I tried to give it another shot yesterday morning, but I got the delay pattern on my first ten attempts in a row. I managed to get a TKO in the 2:50s on the 11th try, but I figured I had no chance of beating my time by the end of the contest. I legitimately wore out the reset button on my NES. If I hold it down, it won't make a solid connection and keeps resetting on its own. I guess that I'll have to hope my save files don't get erased whenever I want to play a game with a battery backup from now on.
Geez you've got the DD2 belt and now this... whose gonna stop this guy?

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:03:43 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Hopefully I'll be retired like Apollo before either of them come up as weekly contests again!

Edited: 09/07/2015 at 11:12 AM by bearcat-doug

Sep 7, 2015 at 7:15:32 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

Hopefully I'll be retired like Apollo before either of them come up as weekly contests again!

You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him! 

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:28:09 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

dont worry about it arnpoly. It's just timing. If you get more time on this one you can beat Tyson. I was disappointed I couldn't get a first round TKO

I countered every punch and he never hit me but I could only manage to knock him down once in the first round. I think it's some kind of stall punch that takes more damage or something.

I'm only ashamed in that I used to be able to KO Tyson with hardly any trouble and I just couldn't do it this week at all.  I do think I was fighting a little bit of lag with my TV and I didn't bother getting out my CRT to play to see if I could do better.  Even still, I had him dead to rights two or three times and just couldn't finish him off.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:23:02 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: arnpoly

dont worry about it arnpoly. It's just timing. If you get more time on this one you can beat Tyson. I was disappointed I couldn't get a first round TKO

I countered every punch and he never hit me but I could only manage to knock him down once in the first round. I think it's some kind of stall punch that takes more damage or something.

I'm only ashamed in that I used to be able to KO Tyson with hardly any trouble and I just couldn't do it this week at all.  I do think I was fighting a little bit of lag with my TV and I didn't bother getting out my CRT to play to see if I could do better.  Even still, I had him dead to rights two or three times and just couldn't finish him off.

I bet it was your TV. I tried playing on my buddies flat screen and I was getting knocked out left and right. I couldn't even play on it. Same thing happens when I try and play tetris.

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:42:18 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

I bet it was your TV. I tried playing on my buddies flat screen and I was getting knocked out left and right. I couldn't even play on it. Same thing happens when I try and play tetris.

I tried playing on a flatscreen and bald bull 2 kicked my ass. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:54:13 PM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

I tried playing on a flatscreen and bald bull 2 kicked my ass. 

Haha, well now I wish I tried harder to get my CRT out to play on!  My flatscreen is pretty low-latency from what I recall but any latency is no good.  It took me awhile to beat Super Macho Man.  There should be some kind of award for beating Punch-Out on a flatscreen. 

Take On The NES Library!

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:00:20 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Are you using a LCD TV? There was a noticeable lag playing Punch Out on the one I had.

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:55:09 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
Do plasmas lag? Lcd definitely lag.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:19:29 AM
arnpoly (110)
Illinois

Are you using a LCD TV? There was a noticeable lag playing Punch Out on the one I had.

Yep! I should have known better, but still I think I did well considering that.

Take On The NES Library!

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:39:58 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma TV and I never noticed any lag, but I still prefer to play on my CRT.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:59:14 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma TV and I never noticed any lag, but I still prefer to play on my CRT.

Cool, thanks