Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2017 Weekly Contests Presents: Defender 2 Contest ends Sunday, 6/18/17 at 11 PM NA time

Jun 13, 2017 at 11:45:44 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
If we drop the Wave Z limitation, than the problem will be that someone will be able to play the game forever. The picture need to be taken quick, sorry about that but it is not the first time either.

I'll put a no hanging in wave to point press respawning enemies rule. That game is stupid, it should have a timer per wave.

-------------------------

Jun 13, 2017 at 11:56:26 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: guillavoie

If we drop the Wave Z limitation, than the problem will be that someone will be able to play the game forever. The picture need to be taken quick, sorry about that but it is not the first time either.

I'll put a no hanging in wave to point press respawning enemies rule. That game is stupid, it should have a timer per wave.

Unfortunately this is one of those NES games that is impossible to have perfect rules for. Too bad it doesn't show your current wave on the main game screen.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:02:25 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I think with this game you're not going to be able to create any manner of perfect ruleset, and same goes with most retro shmups I think. They're all boostable in some way, with little in the way of ability to track whether it's been done.

Someone COULD save every human in every level up to wave Z and get a huge score as Bea has done. Alternatively, someone could point press infinitely when they reach Wave Z and you'll never be the wiser.

It comes down to integrity. Is it really worth cheating for a couple pixels by your posts on the forum?

Edited: 06/13/2017 at 12:02 PM by Gloves

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:02:35 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Originally posted by: guillavoie

That is perfectly fine by me.
I will rollback to my previous score tonight.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:05:40 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Gloves

I think with this game you're not going to be able to create any manner of perfect ruleset, and same goes with most retro shmups I think. They're all boostable in some way, with little in the way of ability to track whether it's been done.

Someone COULD save every human in every level up to wave Z and get a huge score as Bea has done. Alternatively, someone could point press infinitely when they reach Wave Z and you'll never be the wiser.

It comes down to integrity. Is it really worth cheating for a couple pixels by your posts on the forum?

If you get too big of a score by wave Z then it would be suspicious. But a player could pad their score a bit with some point pressing.

I hate point pressing anyway. I wouldn't do it in this game even if the rules allowed it. It's tedious and boring. I even hated having to do it in Vice Project Doom.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:08:32 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Yeah, for that you would either need everyone to post videos or live stream their runs.
That wouldn't be doable.

I got video footage of my 1st run, and I will try to improve upon it, but I highly doubt I will be able to reach 500K, because I really suck at saving humans. I think I can push it 15k, 20K further at most.
Kudos to anyone who manage it.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:19:52 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Originally posted by: mbd39

It is not only risky, but also boring.
Thoe ships are worth very few points, so you would spend a lot of time flying around to cause them to spawn.
But since it is allowed, I will pretty much end up doubling the run time of my score run so I can pad mine to 500K and up.
Pretty sure Skinny and Gloves will do that too!

Skinny says that he's terrible at this game, but I have a hard time believing him. I've already managed 150k and he's way better at shooters than I am.

Skinny will likely do his traditional Skinny snipe routine this week.  
And I am waiting on the new kid score as well. The game dificulty caps pretty quickly, so getting to wave Z isn't too difficult once you get the hang of it.
I wonder how many people will make it there this week.

this is not a shooter, its an arcade game. and im not good at arcade games. 33k is my best score so far. 

oh the "please dont point press" rule is in effect... booooo. 

low score to wave z would have been a better choice. 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:26:15 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Thoe ships are worth very few points, so you would spend a lot of time flying around to cause them to spawn.
But since it is allowed, I will pretty much end up doubling the run time of my score run so I can pad mine to 500K and up.

Skinny says that he's terrible at this game, but I have a hard time believing him. I've already managed 150k and he's way better at shooters than I am.

And I am waiting on the new kid score as well. The game dificulty caps pretty quickly, so getting to wave Z isn't too difficult once you get the hang of it.

this is not a shooter, its an arcade game. and im not good at arcade games. 33k is my best score so far. 

That's be incredibly easy, though.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:29:59 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Quite so, yeah.
Let the mars people take all the humans, avoid killing the square enemies and the flying saucer (you will have to dodge them through the wave, though) and you should get to wave Z with the least amount of points possible.
I believe bombs don't give you points as well, so you could use them to decrease your score a bit.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:32:35 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Is 33k really your best? I got 150k on Sunday and I would expect you to be able to top that.

And of couse it's a shooter. Defender is like the granddaddy of horizontal shooters and the sequel is basically the same game. It's a shooter in sort of the same way that Kung Fu Master is a beat em up. (Although amittedly NES Defender II is not an exact port of the arcade.)

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:38:37 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

Is 33k really your best? I got 150k on Sunday and I would expect you to be able to top that.

And of couse it's a shooter. Defender is like the granddaddy of horizontal shooters and the sequel is basically the same game. It's a shooter in sort of the same way that Kung Fu Master is a beat em up. (Although amittedly NES Defender II is not an exact port of the arcade.)

ya, 33k is all i got. i keep backing into enemies. like i go to shoot them and miss then try to turn around but the momentum throws me into the enemy. plus im just not good at tgis game. i get shot down alot. 

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:41:24 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

Quite so, yeah.
Let the mars people take all the humans, avoid killing the square enemies and the flying saucer (you will have to dodge them through the wave, though) and you should get to wave Z with the least amount of points possible.
I believe bombs don't give you points as well, so you could use them to decrease your score a bit.

maybe easy but it would eliminate any "please dont point press" rule. it would make a definite score. the way the rule stands now you get penalized for clearing a wave quicker,no? 

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:43:06 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
maybe a horizontal shooter but its an arcade game first. it plays more like an arcade game than a shooter.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:45:00 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
The only way to prove progress in Defender II is to take a pic of the wave completion screen. You can't prove where you died. It's not really possible to have a low score contest in this game.

Probably the best rules would be to disallow point pressing but also remove the z wave limitation so that you can get as many points as possible without point pressing, but the mods want to prevent this game from becoming a marathon.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:48:28 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

The only way to prove progress in Defender II is to take a pic of the wave completion screen. You can't prove where you died. It's not really possible to have a low score contest in this game.

Probably the best rules would be to disallow point pressing but also remove the z wave limitation so that you can get as many points as possible without point pressing, but the mods want to prevent this game from becoming a marathon.

Yeah it doesn't really get any harder, so I'd just have my emulator running on my pc nonstop and play all day.

Jun 13, 2017 at 12:55:44 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Yeah it doesn't really get any harder, so I'd just have my emulator running on my pc nonstop and play all day.

I wouldn't have the patience to do it, but yeah, I would go for a lot more waves than wave Z.
The difficult caps really fast and remains the same for the rest of the waves.

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:00:47 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Even the world record run on Youtube is under three hours. It would be interesting to see how long the resident shooter/arcade pros could keep going without any limitation.

Edited: 06/13/2017 at 01:03 PM by mbd39

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:10:00 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

maybe easy but it would eliminate any "please dont point press" rule. it would make a definite score. the way the rule stands now you get penalized for clearing a wave quicker,no? 

Yeah, they actually penalize you for clearing a wave to fast, since by cleaning the wave quickly you get less square ships (300 points per) and flying saucers (400 points per).

Edited: 06/13/2017 at 01:11 PM by Bea_Iank

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:12:02 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

Even the world record run on Youtube is under three hours. It would be interesting to see how long the resident shooter/arcade pros could keep going without any limitation.

Wow is that all? Jeez.

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:13:26 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Wow is that all? Jeez.
It is a bit over 1,500,000 points.
You could crush that score pretty easily.

Edited: 06/13/2017 at 01:16 PM by Bea_Iank

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:13:52 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Wow is that all? Jeez.

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:29:09 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida
oh boy im terrible. 49k and i die in the first wave half the time. lol.

i like the momentum in smb3 but not here :/

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:30:45 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

oh boy im terrible. 49k and i die in the first wave half the time. lol.

i like the momentum in smb3 but not here :/

If you miss shooting the enemy, it is better to just fly over or below it rather than trying to turn.
It is too easy to die here due to the momentum. Your ship is much faster than they and their shots are. Make use of that speed.

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:15:22 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I had this game as a kid. A few years ago when I played the Atari 2600 version, it seemed like it was a lot more fun than I remembered the NES version being. Hopefully I can give this a try again over the weekend, but I doubt I would be able to put up a score good enough to crack the top 8.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:20:15 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

I had this game as a kid. A few years ago when I played the Atari 2600 version, it seemed like it was a lot more fun than I remembered the NES version being. Hopefully I can give this a try again over the weekend, but I doubt I would be able to put up a score good enough to crack the top 8.

It'd be great to see you put up a score, top 8 or no!