Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Graphics Bits and pieces that i'd appreciate comments/critique on

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:09:40 PM
FrankenGraphics (3)
< Crack Trooper >
Alabama
I figured i could have one concise thread here and post graphics i do or have done (tile sets, metasprites, whole screens, concepts) for critique and comments. I've learned a lot from those who've been kind to pick apart my work over at NesDev, and thought this may be a good place too. 

Let's start with this background screen. Any thoughts?
Will post more stuff here, eventually. 

(edited out a few errors)

-------------------------
http://www.frankengraphics.com/ - personal NES homebrew blog

Edited: 10/26/2017 at 05:36 PM by FrankenGraphics

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:17:51 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Looks great! Only point is that the pink reflection tells me its dusk, but the color of the sky makes me feel like its a foggy cool morning. But maybe its just me.

Other than that I dig the aesthetic.

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:08:45 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Yeah that looks fantastic. Nice job!

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:10:15 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Agreed. I am struggling to find something to critique. I'd hang that on my wall

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Oct 26, 2017 at 8:33:12 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Ok, this is a VERY minor gripe and may not be warranted if this actually runs/displays on hardware but... something about the color pallet seems off in the sense that, to me, this feels like a vintage-y, pixelated image created in a modern tool, intended to look old. I think (and, again, I could be wrong) this could be because the hues of the colors don't perfectly match the limited pallets of older systems I've played games on. Since the pallet doesn't appear to perfectly match, say, an NES pallet, then it doesn't feel like an NES image. This could be an 8-bit pallet, which would work well for old dos games, but I didn't play many of those.

Anyway, that really is a super-knit-picky critique but it is the only thing I noticef. To be honest, I don't even see that as a problem because pixel art is and always will be awesome. Still, if you can find the NES or Atari color swatch and change your colors to match the colors in those pallets this could be practically perfect.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Edited: 10/26/2017 at 08:34 AM by rlh

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:12:55 AM
FrankenGraphics (3)
< Crack Trooper >
Alabama
Thanks everybody! Your comments motivates me push this thing forward.  
Originally posted by: MrWunderful
pink reflection tells me its dusk, but the color of the sky makes me feel like its a foggy cool morning.
I'll consider that. Thanks! The truth is i haven't yet decided if the sun will be setting (on a misty evening) or the moon will be rising om pale daylight or if it's just going to be morning fog. But i can hint at either of the former just beyond the treeline with a few sprites set to 'behind background' mode.

Originally posted by: Bert
I'd hang that on my wall
Thanks! Neat idea. Maybe i can find a suitable wall somewhere around the house. ^^ Would prints be a thing even if there was no clear game/product at this point?

Originally posted by: rlh

Ok, this is a VERY minor gripe and may not be warranted if this actually runs/displays on hardware but... something about the color pallet seems off in the sense that, to me, this feels like a vintage-y, pixelated image created in a modern tool, intended to look old. I think (and, again, I could be wrong) this could be because the hues of the colors don't perfectly match the limited pallets of older systems I've played games on. Since the pallet doesn't appear to perfectly match, say, an NES pallet, then it doesn't feel like an NES image. This could be an 8-bit pallet, which would work well for old dos games, but I didn't play many of those.
Rest assured, it does in fact adhere to NES palette restrictions and you can run it on the NES. It's just that the exact hues of the export tool is a little bit off the nominal NTSC colours*. I usually check against my PAL unit to see if things hold together. On my laptop, it looks a bit colder than it does on my TV.

I get around most attribute clashes typical of the NES by keeping having several commong colours between the subpalettes, so it's not as colourful as a NES background could potentially be.
I think that (narrow selection of colours + a lot attribute grid avoidance) makes it atypical compared to a commercial NES game screen.
*but honestly any crt tv set will offset hues even more compared the next one, not to mention deviations between NTSC and PAL. That can pose a problem on some tv sets as the 'fog effect' of the far tree line relies on colours $1C and $13 not being all too far apart, but i'm willing to risk it.

=============
Quick update:
It started out as a freeform background piece that had no specific purpose (it could be part of a title screen animation, cinematic sequence, end credits, etc), but then it struck me that with a flat enough level it could actually work as level decoration for a shorter section, even though it occupies nearly all of the background CHR RAM. The flatness of the supposed level would make parallax scrolling a relative breeze. 

Here's a start down that road.

Oct 26, 2017 at 10:32:26 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Ah, thanks for he response. I'd like to see this on a CRT! My "critique" turns into a compliment!

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:31:41 AM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I think the rules for selling are it has to be video game related. Not sure if that would qualify, you can speak with a more about that. No idea how you'd do sales wise, but who knows  

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:22:11 PM
FrankenGraphics (3)
< Crack Trooper >
Alabama
Sales - probably not a lot, haha    But if it ever become part of a finalized game, prints/postcards of some of the better sceneries might be an idea, mostly for fun. 

Another update: 
WIP on seamless background loop + a GIF:ed parallax scroll demonstration (animated, not programmed). 

rlh: i'll take a picture once i'm home again... which is in two weeks. 

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:28:13 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
That gif is freaking awesome. Well done.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:34:41 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Nice parallax effect and welcome to NA!

Oct 26, 2017 at 6:26:03 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Looks great with that scrolling.

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:05:18 PM
IBtiM (11)
(Tim Hartman) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
Very cool. Colors are great and graphics are crisp. Keep it coming.

Part of the Retrotainment Games crew. Pre-Order our new NES game Full Quiet now Backerkit! Plus, our all original NES homebrews Haunted: Halloween '85 and Haunted: Halloween '86 The Curse of Possum Hollow are out now!
Check out https://www.facebook.com/Retrotai... for more info or grab the games at http://www.cashinculture.com/.... Stay Rad!

Oct 27, 2017 at 7:09:13 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
This looks absolutely amazing. Glad you finally found your way to NA  .

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Oct 28, 2017 at 1:45:43 PM
lancuster (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Looks great. However, I no games are not recognized (except Immortal). Tell me, do these graphics for any specific game is intended, or is it a gift to the developers of future games?

My NES hacks on Romhacking.net
>>Oldschool Beta-tester<< - Testing NES roms for bugs
My latest ROM-hack: http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...
Newest (ready) hacks: "Mario Has A Very Bad Days!", "Good or Bad?" (Tank 1990 Hack) (pm me for details)
I added level settings for 102 games into CaD Editor!

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:14:38 PM
FrankenGraphics (3)
< Crack Trooper >
Alabama
Thanks for the encouragement, everybody!  
Originally posted by: lancuster

Looks great. However, I no games are not recognized (except Immortal). Tell me, do these graphics for any specific game is intended, or is it a gift to the developers of future games?

Well, i've always wanted to do something that pays respect to the original actionvania games (both in terms of theme and mechanics), and it just so happened a partner for another game we're making just offered his involvement, so it seems it's going to get into a specific game at this point.   We just need to finish the one we're already working on first. 

Edited: 10/28/2017 at 02:15 PM by FrankenGraphics

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:24:58 PM
lancuster (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Commendable. I think also to help with the graphics. But I can't draw, only optimize graphics using programs. By the way. You could put T-Rex Runner ROM in this thread? I'm on the phone, I can't assemble ROM, and, I think, others will also be interesting to see.  

My NES hacks on Romhacking.net
>>Oldschool Beta-tester<< - Testing NES roms for bugs
My latest ROM-hack: http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...
Newest (ready) hacks: "Mario Has A Very Bad Days!", "Good or Bad?" (Tank 1990 Hack) (pm me for details)
I added level settings for 102 games into CaD Editor!

Oct 28, 2017 at 5:27:30 PM
FrankenGraphics (3)
< Crack Trooper >
Alabama
Thanks, i appreciate it. But i prefer to do final touches and optimizations myself.   So the best way to help out is probably commenting on pieces i'll post here - what you like/don't like, discuss technical implications and pixel art techniques etc. 

Regardning T-rex. There really isn't much to see when compiled, i'm afraid; the source is much more informative than the resulting ROM (might be some code snips in there to scavenge if you wanted to). You could perhaps use it as a tool to handwrite sprite animation cycles, but you'd still need to build it from source yourself that way.

Oct 29, 2017 at 2:20:17 PM
FrankenGraphics (3)
< Crack Trooper >
Alabama
Allright, so these have been shown elsewhere, but i thought i might upload them here too. It's for another project, with the maker of the anguna games, and i'm in the process of refurbishing these three level concepts into more sensible packs of metatiles. The world is built up from nested metatiles, ie 2x2 tiles, then 2x2 metatiles, then 2x2 of those. The challenge is to make them last for reuse while giving each area a unique identity of its own in terms of layout. You may get an idea how i use reuse tiles in these concepts by comparing one of them to its tileset, shown in this blog post

Quick note on the game: It's a blaster master-inspired metroidvania which lets you go on vehicular exploration on an alien planet. 

While this transition is a bit of a hurdle in itself and my focal point right now, any comment relating to any aspect at all is welcome.   

Also introducing our hero (idle animation). 

Edit: Deleted attachments and hosted them from my blog instead.

Edited: 10/30/2017 at 02:36 PM by FrankenGraphics

Oct 31, 2017 at 5:03:18 PM
FrankenGraphics (3)
< Crack Trooper >
Alabama
Started expanding one of them in order to discern what's what with the current tile sheet. 

Some details here:
https://frankengraphics.com/2017/10/31/short-note-on-sprawli...

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:07:26 AM
FrankenGraphics (3)
< Crack Trooper >
Alabama
Started doodling on an interior scene using bits of the same distant background as the one that started this thread. I'd say it's "halfway there". Any critique so far? 

Nov 4, 2017 at 4:01:22 AM
Camoran (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Iceland
Its pretty fun too be able too follow the graphic art beeing made for homebrews. From my perspective there is nothing i see which i can point might be better. I really like youre work, keep us posted.

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:42:41 AM
FrankenGraphics (3)
< Crack Trooper >
Alabama
Thanks   So, here's some changes for comparison. Maybe... 75% complete? Most of the rest should be cleaning up some quick and dirty details. 

Nov 6, 2017 at 7:26:12 PM
FrankenGraphics (3)
< Crack Trooper >
Alabama
Latest addition to the gothic platformer. Just testing out some scrolling effects. Keeping the far-field background still would be pretty chr hungry, but i think that's ok if i can cram out enough variation for a tower with this set as it is. 

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:24:59 PM
ugopoopy (30)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Woah. This looks awesome.

My NES collection
Working toward a complete set. 
WTB/TF any and all games I don't have. 
FT/FO thread