Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Great Experience From Nintendo Have a good story to share about Nintendo?

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:44:23 PM
pirate_dave (0)
(David Shaw Jr) < Cherub >
New York
Okay. I usually tell this story and I think people don't believe me. But it's the honest to God truth.
Some of you may know a thing or two about having the trouble of getting your NES to perform when you wanted to play it. You would put the game in, push it down, and hit the power button...and watch the red light flash on, off, on, off...etc. Well I was no different, me and my brother would spend ten minutes before-hand just trying to get the thing working properly. We came up with some pretty good tricks to get our games to work (that's another forum idea). It got to the point that we wouldn't even bother after a while, we were just fed up. I even ripped off the door hatch to the NES in a fit of rage once. I finally got so sick of the bullsh*t, that I decided to write Nintendo a letter telling them what a steaming pile the NES was. In a hand written letter, I told them the trouble we were having and that we had done EVERYTHING we could to get this thing to work! I even told them that our Atari 2600 was a better system, because it still worked like a charm (wich is the truth, it STILL works great!) A few days later, I got a response from Nintendo. I really don't remember a thing the letter said except one small detail. They told me to send them EVERYTHING. They wanted our NES, the games, the works. I figured at that point, why not! We couldn't play it anyway! I sent the whole works to Nintendo like they requested. A week or two went by, and we finally got a package in the mail from Nintendo. They sent us a brand new NES (with a door hatch), and all of our games were completely cleaned, inside and out. Some games even had new labels on them. Some even came in new boxes! And games that had saved data on them was still intact. To say the least, I was in awe. Shock is more like it. The NES was in top shape. The games worked like new. The only thing I had any complaint about was that my copy of Zelda was replaced with a newer grey cart. Instead of my original gold one. But I was not about to complain. Needless to say, that has to be the best customer service I have EVER been a part of or have heard about. Nintendo did right by me, and it worked. I am still a devoted fan of Nintendo, and it started with this experience.

Feb 22, 2007 at 9:46:36 AM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Do you still have their correspondence to you? I'm really surprised they didn't just tell you to buy a toploader that's pretty cool. Sony, take a page from this book.

-------------------------

Feb 22, 2007 at 9:39:14 PM
pirate_dave (0)
New York
No, I don't. This happened around 1992.

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:38:06 AM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Wow, that's a cool story. I would have been very hesitant to send them ALL the games I owned. Amazing that Nintendo even thought to copy over saved game data onto your replacement cartridges.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:56:18 PM
WERY (0)
(Johan L) < Eggplant Wizard >
Sweden
I really think it is hard to beat that story and it proves them to be trustwothy as a company. But I heard a similjar story about someone who went to one of the Nintendo Office's i europe and came out with lots of manuals which he just had for free. ME on the other hand got no experience with this corporation

The Duce
Brother of Bros

My NES Collection
Goin' for a complete USA licensed collection on the NES

Feb 25, 2007 at 10:29:43 PM
pirate_dave (0)
New York
It was kind of a hard choice to send them all my stuff, but remember, I was just so fed up, I didn't care at that point. And I really didn't think they would just rip me off, so it was kind of an easy decision.