Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The most advanced digital to analog converter ever made Worth it for $80?

Sep 13 at 1:50:34 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Originally posted by: Lincoln

Originally posted by: Gloves

Originally posted by: punch-out!!84

There's no reason it shouldn't work with standard HDMI input from other consoles.

They have good products which I think you can attribute to kevtris but the overwhelming smugness from these guys really makes it hard to give them any money
This is so true. Their shipping charges are outrageous as well.

This is a hard pass for me. I'd rather just hook up my original hardware to my PVM.

I bought a Super NT and it is convenient for playing on my regular tv. However, I have no desire to hook it up to my PVM or regular crt.

Seriously curious - what smugness? I may be out of the loop?

All the copy in the page for this product reads like everything else is trash, look how much better we are. And it does look like an excellent product, but it sounds like the kind of bullshit you hear for nonsense audiophile products.

Also for me it goes back to the first analogue console (nt?), The one with harvested chips and the aluminum shell. They were putting themselves out there as the second coming of Jesus for that.
Totally get your point, but it's a business after all  

-------------------------

Sep 13 at 1:56:38 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Boosted52405

Originally posted by: punch-out!!84

There's no reason it shouldn't work with standard HDMI input from other consoles.

They have good products which I think you can attribute to kevtris but the overwhelming smugness from these guys really makes it hard to give them any money
This is so true. Their shipping charges are outrageous as well.

This is a hard pass for me. I'd rather just hook up my original hardware to my PVM.

I bought a Super NT and it is convenient for playing on my regular tv. However, I have no desire to hook it up to my PVM or regular crt.

Seriously curious - what smugness? I may be out of the loop?

All the copy in the page for this product reads like everything else is trash, look how much better we are. And it does look like an excellent product, but it sounds like the kind of bullshit you hear for nonsense audiophile products.

Also for me it goes back to the first analogue console (nt?), The one with harvested chips and the aluminum shell. They were putting themselves out there as the second coming of Jesus for that.
Totally get your point, but it's a business after all  

Yeah I think we have to step back and remember that we're in the niche that's pretty close to these things. Have to remember that they need to appeal to a wider audience than JUST the hardcore and that means that if what you have to offer is "excellence" then you're gonna tout the shit out of it so people buy YOUR thing, especially at the price point they are at.

Sep 13 at 2:00:05 PM
Quaze (116)
(Jordan C.) < Bowser >
British Columbia
As a snobby audiophile, I power-cringed my head right into my shoulders reading this thread title. This would be like saying to a car nut, "The fastest car ever made-......is it worth $700?" and the thread is about a Honda Accord.

www.videogamesage.com...

Sep 13 at 2:15:21 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
But it's a high end product to hook up HDMI devices to crts with best possible conversion. There is no wide audience for this. It's just us nerds.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Sep 13 at 3:38:54 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Buying a $200 console to output pure digital a/v then an $80 adapter to downscale and convert to analog seems like the definition of insanity. Just learn to solder and break yourself out of this cycle of unnecessary complexity.

As for Analogue's smugness I do think they make good products but they oversell them and like calling things "reference quality" and all that when their products have bugs and incompatibilities like everything else so they do seem kind of smug.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Edited: 09/13/2019 at 03:42 PM by DefaultGen

Sep 13 at 3:41:39 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: DefaultGen

Buying a $200 console to output pure digital a/v then an $80 adapter to downscale and convert to analog seems like the definition of insanity. Just learn to solder and break yourself out of this cycle of unnecessary complexity.

What does soldering do for me in this case?

Sep 13 at 3:43:30 PM
DefaultGen (28)
United States

Install a $15 RGB mod in a real SNES rather than putting an $80 converter on a $200 HD clone console.

Sep 13 at 3:54:16 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

Install a $15 RGB mod in a real SNES rather than putting an $80 converter on a $200 HD clone console.

I have an RGB modded SNES. >_>

Sep 13 at 5:22:15 PM
Lincoln (138)
California
A jailbroken fpga box putting out HDMI to good dac to crt is probably the optimal way to experience a bunch of classic console games in the smallest footprint. I love modded shit but this is still really appealing. Just not enough to deal with these tools.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Edited: 09/13/2019 at 05:22 PM by Lincoln

Sep 13 at 5:49:37 PM
Suck my dick (61)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Lolo Lord >
Nevada

Are they lying thought? Compare to everything currently out in the market they are much better. I mean built quality in hardware and software they are leaps ahead of anything out there (retron and hyperkin). Shit even better the the AVS. 

Sep 13 at 5:51:45 PM
ICrappedMyPants (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
I think Bob is spot on in his review of it. It's crazy to pay this price and then have to buy cables to use it fully. I think the cable choices become sketchy too if talking about converting to ypbpr or a video if wanting to play it on a crt and not PVM.

https://www.retrorgb.com/analogue-dac-available-for-pre-orde...

Edited: 09/13/2019 at 05:52 PM by ICrappedMyPants

Sep 13 at 7:19:58 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: User123

Are they lying thought? Compare to everything currently out in the market they are much better. I mean built quality in hardware and software they are leaps ahead of anything out there (retron and hyperkin). Shit even better the the AVS. 

They're not lying, but Lincoln's point is they tend to start becoming obnoxious with their ad copy. And "much better" is debatable. This is the same company that forgot to check the clearances on their NES slots and ended up having customers scratch up their carts. They fixed it, but if you're in this business, that should never have happened in the first place.

Sep 13 at 8:06:40 PM
Gex (42)
(Ryley Rolls ) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Damn no composite input, guess I'll stick to the retrotink. Unless I'm missing something that was in the comments I haven't read yet^

Thanks for sharing Tbone

<<< Buying TurboGrafx 16 

Sep 13 at 10:04:17 PM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
Originally posted by: Gex

Damn no composite input, guess I'll stick to the retrotink. Unless I'm missing something that was in the comments I haven't read yet^

Thanks for sharing Tbone

You are thinking the wrong way. This is basicly a D-A converter, it takes an hdmi signal and outputs componet or rgb. The whole concept makes no logical sense to me. Why do you want to down convert a system designed for modern flat screens with a hdmi output to play on a crt? Just buy original hardware if you are going to play on a crt, it would be cheaper than this box. 

Sep 13 at 11:45:35 PM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
I want the whole package for one reason, and one reason only--playing my legit Game Gear games on a CRT, with a controller.

This is getting to be to pricey though. I see no need otherwise for this hardware. I guess if it worked with other units, you could use a nice NES emulator box and have a component out for NES, maybe?

I'm mostly in the same camp as everyone else. It's just a shame that this was suppose to be the best way to get GG on the CRT. Is there a way to mod an SMS to output to a CRT? I'd doubt it anyway since the GG resolution is higher than the SMS, but I can dream.

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Sep 14 at 1:26:34 AM
Lincoln (138)
California
Originally posted by: rlh

I want the whole package for one reason, and one reason only--playing my legit Game Gear games on a CRT, with a controller.

This is getting to be to pricey though. I see no need otherwise for this hardware. I guess if it worked with other units, you could use a nice NES emulator box and have a component out for NES, maybe?

I'm mostly in the same camp as everyone else. It's just a shame that this was suppose to be the best way to get GG on the CRT. Is there a way to mod an SMS to output to a CRT? I'd doubt it anyway since the GG resolution is higher than the SMS, but I can dream.

you can mod a game gear to output to a tv apparently

Sep 14 at 1:44:39 AM
friedeje191 (26)

< Crack Trooper >
Is analogue working on a Game Gear converter for the mega sg?

Edited: 09/14/2019 at 01:45 AM by friedeje191

Sep 14 at 7:47:41 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina

you can mod a game gear to output to a tv apparently

I know, but I'd kind of like a unit that has a standard controller, rather than a GG unit with a bunch of cables coming out of it.

Sep 14 at 7:49:18 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Originally posted by: friedeje191

I thought it shipped with a Master System and Game Gear adapter, or you could order it as an extra but, yes, this exists.

Sep 14 at 8:02:26 AM
Indo (4)
(Chris ) < Crack Trooper >
New Jersey

Originally posted by: friedeje191

I thought it shipped with a Master System and Game Gear adapter, or you could order it as an extra but, yes, this exists.

Shipped with just the Master System adapter. Game Gear adapter was announced with the system, but still under development.

Deadeye.bit        Twitter       Instagram

Sep 17 at 2:30:19 PM
Suck my dick (61)
< Lolo Lord >
Nevada
Originally posted by: Tulpa

They're not lying, but Lincoln's point is they tend to start becoming obnoxious with their ad copy. And "much better" is debatable. This is the same company that forgot to check the clearances on their NES slots and ended up having customers scratch up their carts. They fixed it, but if you're in this business, that should never have happened in the first place.

Aside from retro pi and and that jazz name a company that made snes and genesis clone consoles better then them? I own both the Nt consoles and the AVS and the Nt mini is by far better. But I challenge you to name something better what they put out. 

Sep 17 at 3:20:23 PM
DefaultGen (28)
United States

Aside from retro pi and and that jazz name a company that made snes and genesis clone consoles better then them? I own both the Nt consoles and the AVS and the Nt mini is by far better. But I challenge you to name something better what they put out. 

AVS is a clear winner over the original Nt. I have 3 games that crash or have graphical glitches on my original Nt (Family Feud, WWF KotR, Cool Spot), you can't use a Four Score or Satellite on the Nt for controller extension/turbo, the cart slot is way too loose, the aluminum case is prone to static shocks and they sent out these stupid plastic protectors to protect from scratches because the flaps are metal.

Analogue makes great products (or Kevtris does and Analogue puts a shitty metal shell around them), but they have a healthy dose of flashy web design, photography, and marketing that sells their products as well. They are not perfect.

Edited: 09/17/2019 at 03:21 PM by DefaultGen

Sep 17 at 5:33:23 PM
Suck my dick (61)
< Lolo Lord >
Nevada

AVS is a clear winner over the original Nt. I have 3 games that crash or have graphical glitches on my original Nt (Family Feud, WWF KotR, Cool Spot), you can't use a Four Score or Satellite on the Nt for controller extension/turbo, the cart slot is way too loose, the aluminum case is prone to static shocks and they sent out these stupid plastic protectors to protect from scratches because the flaps are metal.

Analogue makes great products (or Kevtris does and Analogue puts a shitty metal shell around them), but they have a healthy dose of flashy web design, photography, and marketing that sells their products as well. They are not perfect.
Aside from some peripherals that I don’t see the need for if you already have 4 controller ports and no need for the satellite when we have better options for wireless the other issues where fix. Let’s not forget the few issues that the avs had also. Aside from that I do like my avs and I like the fact that it’s plastic and not some kind of metal. And the horrible design with the flap and using famicoms games. They both have theirs flaws and strengths. 

Sep 17 at 5:45:33 PM
ICrappedMyPants (26)
(Mac ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
My biggest complaint is that I have to spend $100+ to buy this after shipping and then I have to buy cables to play it on my PVM or CRT. I already have official Nintendo SCART and JP21 cables, RGC SCART cables, SCART to BNC cables, and HD Retrovision cables for the SNES and Genesis in addition to Voultar's designed SCART to BNC adapter. They are all useless for this product. It would have been nice if they could have built it using a Mini-Din 8 connection.