Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Who here plans on getting the Genesis Mini? Sega is finally releasing their retro mini console Sept 19th

Aug 31 at 10:34:17 AM
CaLan87 (5)
(Cody ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Originally posted by: Space Jockey

The age of the mini consoles is over. They couldn't give the PS Mini away for $40 when the sales underperformed for it.  The train has come and gone.

Just because the ps classic flopped, doesn’t mean the age of “minis” is over. That shit flopped because it was awful in every aspect. This mini looks very promising and definitely has the best lineup of all the mini consoles to date

-------------------------
*** Check out my WTB thread!! ***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Aug 31 at 11:03:36 AM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: TENGEN

I don't see anyone posting the game list, so here you go:

Amazing list. I would have added Herzog Zwei to make it perfect.

Sonic the Hedgehog
Ecco the Dolphin
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Space Harrier 2
Shining Force
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
ToeJam & Earl
Comix Zone
Altered Beast
Gunstar Heroes
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Thunder Force 3
Super Fantasy Zone
Shinobi 3
Streets of Rage 2
Earthworm Jim
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Contra: Hard Corps
Landstalker
Mega Man: The Wily Wars
Street Fighter 2: Special Champion Edition
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Beyond Oasis
Golden Axe
Phantasy Star 4: The End of the Millennium
Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
Vectorman
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Tetris
Darius
Road Rash 2
Strider
Virtua Fighter 2
Alisia Dragoon
Kid Chameleon
Monster World 4
Eternal Champions
Columns
Dynamite Headdy
Light Crusader

Holy smokes that's a slick line up!

May the force be with you.

Aug 31 at 2:07:30 PM
AC Skywalker (56)
(Matt ) < Kraid Killer >
Canada
This is going to be great. Already have mine preordered at EB. September is going to be expensive

Currently looking for:

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

Aug 31 at 2:35:27 PM
DoctorEncore (6)
< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: NES Connoisseur

Sega has finally announced the release of an official Sega Genesis "classic ",coming Sept 19th ,2019..The playlist of games included with the  mini console looks good so far ,including Castlevania :Bloodlines ..Hopefully if this sells well Sega will also release an 8bit Master System "classic "as well ...

I'm in. It needs to join the ever growing army of mini consoles and clones guarding my television.

Current Project: NES NTSC CIB Set
Progress: ~550/678

WTB: CIB NES games. PM me if seeking a buyer. CLICK HERE TO SEE MY LIST.

WTB: NIB NES games so I can open them and add to the_wizard_666's Sealed Game Contents forum topic and FAQ @ https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes....

Edited: 08/31/2019 at 02:37 PM by DoctorEncore

Aug 31 at 5:58:38 PM
NES Connoisseur (0)
(Nintendo Enthusiast ) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
So far Sega's mini console has the best lineup ..

Sep 22 at 5:20:18 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Feedback on the Genesis mini? Game list looks very nice!

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Sep 22 at 6:34:59 PM
zeldaboy (162)
(Andrew DeRouin) < King Solomon >
Florida
Mine is supposed to be delivered today, excited!

Sep 22 at 6:48:40 PM
DoctorEncore (6)
< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

Feedback on the Genesis mini? Game list looks very nice!

Got mine on Friday, but haven't booted it up yet. I can definitively say that the packaging is nice. Will report back later with something meaningful.

WTB: NIB NES games so I can open them and add to the_wizard_666's Sealed Game Contents forum topic and FAQ @ https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes....

Sep 22 at 8:37:03 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Other
I am curious on this as well, I wouldn't mind one myself but bit hard to bite at $80

Sep 22 at 11:34:03 PM
DoctorEncore (6)
< Crack Trooper >
Here are some real life, non-promotional pictures showing box, contents, and size.

Box has a sliding flap instead of an adhesive seal, so you don't need to cut anything to get it open.

System, 2 controllers, HDMI cable, and USB to micro-USB with AC adapter.

Controllers are very similar to original 3 button controllers in both weight and balance. D-pad and buttons feel good. Genesis Mini on left, Genesis on right.

Comparison to the 6-button Turbo Mk-1470 (top right) and 8BitDo M30 (bottom) for fun.

Size comparison against original Genesis

Size comparison against Model 2 Genesis

Size comparison against Analogue Mega Sg

So how does it play? Very well. After a quick sampling of a few games, the emulation seems excellent. There is a tiny bit of input lag (on par or better than the NES/SNES classic) and audio lag, but the experience is great. The game selection is awesome and includes a lot of titles that people don't really talk about anymore as well as the usual classics. Everything just works and there is actually a shortcut (hold pause button) to get back to the main menu! It shall sit proudly in front of my TV as a reminder of the days when Sega ruled the roost.  Is it worth $80? That is entirely up to you. All I can say is that it offers exactly what it advertises: A very enjoyable trip down memory lane.

Of note, it only includes two 3-button controllers, so the 6-button fighting games are essentially unplayable. This is inconsequential to me, but you should definitely take that into account if you're not planning on picking up one or two third party controllers.

Edited: 09/22/2019 at 11:36 PM by DoctorEncore

Sep 23 at 3:19:28 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Thanks. More or less what I expected. Looks sharp. Might pick one up towards the holidays. I also saw you can change region and play each game in that version. Nice touch!

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Edited: 09/23/2019 at 03:20 PM by Andy_Bogomil

Sep 23 at 5:36:47 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
How dare you call a non-High Definition Graphics Genesis an 'original'  

Sep 23 at 7:12:36 PM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
They even did the red lettering on the controller buttons. Only early first release Sega's had that. Way to tell early controller

Edited: 09/23/2019 at 07:13 PM by Sign Collector Guy

Sep 23 at 10:33:51 PM
DoctorEncore (6)
< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: Trj22487

How dare you call a non-High Definition Graphics Genesis an 'original'  

I can't believe they actually had 720p in the initial console. No wonder it cost $10,000 on launch. 🤣😂

Sep 24 at 8:35:12 AM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
I have been enjoying the Genesis Mini so far. Even though it is only a 3 button controller the d-pad feels nice and responsive, better than the original controllers or the six button released by Retrobit. None of the reviews I have seen online talk about the build quality of the controller.

Sep 24 at 8:49:37 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I think I'm going to pick this up too. Seems like a ton of value here with the 42 games, even though I own most of them. Save states and the ability to switch regions are a plus. One of the reviews I read mentioned that Contra Hard Corps had a 3 life bar in Japan as opposed to one hit kills over here. Subtle touches like that go a long way.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Sep 24 at 9:38:15 AM
DoctorEncore (6)
< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: themisfit138

I have been enjoying the Genesis Mini so far. Even though it is only a 3 button controller the d-pad feels nice and responsive, better than the original controllers or the six button released by Retrobit. None of the reviews I have seen online talk about the build quality of the controller.

I agree. The controller felt cheap at first since it's so light, but when I compared it to an original, it's spot on. If it wasn't for that damn input lag that we're seeing on all emulator consoles, the controls would be perfect.

Sep 24 at 4:36:48 PM
zeldaboy (162)
(Andrew DeRouin) < King Solomon >
Florida
Still haven't received mine, the package is labeled as late on Amazon... :-(

Sep 25 at 1:16:47 AM
Suck my dick (61)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Lolo Lord >
Nevada
Originally posted by: zeldaboy

Still haven't received mine, the package is labeled as late on Amazon... :-(

Better hope it don't show up damaged, they mailed mine in a padded envolope  

Sep 25 at 7:39:42 AM
NES Connoisseur (0)
(Nintendo Enthusiast ) < Eggplant Wizard >
North Carolina
I got mine at launch ,and I must say the Genny mini is pretty awesome ..I especially like the addition of Rockman:Megaworld/Mega Man :The Wily Wars ,and the ultra rare "Tetris ..I will be also adding The Turbo Graphix mini next year when it is released on Amazon.

Edited: 09/25/2019 at 07:41 AM by NES Connoisseur

Sep 25 at 9:57:29 AM
attakid101 (19)
(Fredo ) < King Solomon >
Idaho
Originally posted by: jonebone

I think I'm going to pick this up too. Seems like a ton of value here with the 42 games, even though I own most of them. Save states and the ability to switch regions are a plus. One of the reviews I read mentioned that Contra Hard Corps had a 3 life bar in Japan as opposed to one hit kills over here. Subtle touches like that go a long way.
Genesis Mini > N64

Sep 25 at 3:47:46 PM
DaneNES (7)
< Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: Tulpa

It's a little late to the party, but the games mentioned so far are solid. Should at least be better than the latter day Firecore models with half actual Genesis games and half crap games.

I grabbed one of those because the box featured MK instead of sonic, and the fake games are so bad! Where did they even come from? They’re like, the worlds cheesiest home brews. I think there’s a whack-a-mole....it also has shinobe and altered beast and some solids, but F-ing Sega whack a mole?

“Be quiet brain, or ill stab you with a Q-tip” ~Homer Simpson 

Sep 27 at 9:48:10 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
So I did grab one and hooked it up last night. I bought the NES Classic / SNES Classic and this is my 3rd. I skipped PS1 because I didn't see any value there, game lineup was a joke. Bombed for a reason.

This one has an amazing list and at 42 games it's basically $2 a game. Felt worth it to me, even though I probably already own nearly all of them in playable form. I don't know if I'm just lazy or what, but give me an emulator box with games and I'll play things I've never played before despite owning them. Prime example was Altered Beast. Own it, never played it, but ran through the first level on the Genesis Mini last night. Incredibly dated game and don't have the urge to play again, but it was neat to experience the launch title platformer in Genesis.

Either way, happy to have snagged it. Decided I'd rather get it now then try to wait for a small discount around the holidays.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Sep 27 at 11:51:30 AM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
After visiting a dozen sold out stores in the last week I finally found one an hour drive away from me last night. I never owned a Genesis as a kid and only played a handful of Genesis titles at all. So this is like owning a brand new console. I am loving it so far! Comix Zone is my favorite on the whole lineup! It's super hard (1 life = game over, really?) but so much fun! I own a NES and SNES Classic too but rarely use them probably because I already have those actual consoles and own most of the games on those lists, but Genesis is new to me. I had a PS1 Classic but...lol...as we all know, the game list was garbage! I only paid $40 for that and still felt ripped off. Sold mine a week later.

Sep 27 at 12:05:40 PM
DoctorEncore (6)
< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: jonebone

So I did grab one and hooked it up last night. I bought the NES Classic / SNES Classic and this is my 3rd. I skipped PS1 because I didn't see any value there, game lineup was a joke. Bombed for a reason.

This one has an amazing list and at 42 games it's basically $2 a game. Felt worth it to me, even though I probably already own nearly all of them in playable form. I don't know if I'm just lazy or what, but give me an emulator box with games and I'll play things I've never played before despite owning them. Prime example was Altered Beast. Own it, never played it, but ran through the first level on the Genesis Mini last night. Incredibly dated game and don't have the urge to play again, but it was neat to experience the launch title platformer in Genesis.

Either way, happy to have snagged it. Decided I'd rather get it now then try to wait for a small discount around the holidays.

Man, I must've played Altered Beast hundreds of times when I was a kid. Don't think I ever beat it, but I have fond memories of kicking those pigs on the first level and the amazing "RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!" voice sample.