Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"current generation games suck!" do they really?

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:42:24 PM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
Originally posted by: jbuonacc

i've heard this a lot over the past ten years or so. i'm not sure if i agree...

i bought a PS3 this past Christmas for my son and i. i've got to say that i've had just as much fun playing Rayman Origins, Sonic Generations (and i've never been a Sonic fan), and even Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One 

You are arguing that current games are good by offering two remakes and a sequel to a PS2 game as examples?

I personally have two easily solved beefs with modern games: music and difficulty. Gone are the days of simple, catchy tunes. Now everything sounds like an epic movie score. In regards to difficulty, anyone who has played games over the past couple decades will immediately recognize that games now are extremely easy, then take it another step by providing unnecessary hand holding and tutorials.

-------------------------
Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Edited: 01/09/2012 at 01:45 PM by Zing

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:03:16 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
FF13 was a bit different but the storyboarding and new attack model was really fun stuff, I think you're being too hard on it picking on that one game as the death of the JRPG when really more the fault lies with lack of creativity or intelligence put into the JRPGs on the whole. More bland exact same story w/insert new name(s), town(s), monster(s) and plot(s)/twist(s.) And the stupidity of the western world trying to jam WRPGs up everyones butt as the only way to game in the RPG sense of things. Blame should be wider spread, and in the case of FF13 it's side-sequel pops up in a few weeks and it does add towns, overworld(3D), and the rest you complained about not being there.

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:33:27 PM
mobiusclimber (105)
(Bill Rice) < El Ripper >
Washington
I don't think of FF13 as being at fault. If you wanted to place blame, I'd go back to FF8, but really I was just using FF13 as an example. I actually really like the world that the characters explore. If you spend time reading all of the encyclopedia entries in that game (I forget what they're called), the whole back story and history of the world is really interesting. It's just a shame that more of that didn't make it into the actual game. And that you're forced to play as such annoying characters. 

FF12 had a terrific overworld map, probably the kind that I think should have been stolen by every other game and I'm surprised wasn't. (The big problem w/ that game was that it was basically monster hunter with a boring story shoved over top and a couple of annoying kids getting in the way of the cool adults.)

I can't say anything about FF13-2 since I haven't played it yet. =p

As for recent RPGs I liked (so I don't get accused of just hating all new RPGs): Tales of Symphonia 2, Dragon Quest 9, The World Ends With You (to a point), Eternal Sonata (also to a point), Sakura Wars... a lot more on handhelds tho than on consoles (and really, I've spent more time playing Dragon Quest remakes than anything else lately). I will say I haven't been keeping up, mostly just due to not having the time. I'll probably be playing some Nier sometime soon since I got it for Xmas and I've heard good things.

Edited: 01/09/2012 at 02:34 PM by mobiusclimber

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:52:49 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
Yes Mass Effect and Fallout aren't the "same" rpg as Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy 1 were.. But how many of the same game with different text and images can you possibly need? Personally I'm glad they aren't the same.

GRRR!

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:08:19 PM
mobiusclimber (105)
Washington
Really, I'm just sick of every other game being an FPS even when it's an RPG. If there was a wealth of diverse games to choose from on the current gen systems I wouldn't have a problem. Instead it's "Sports, action or FPS." And by action I really mean third-person style games like God of War. Stuff like SH Homecoming or Alan Wake seem to be a mix of action and FPS (without being first person). I want to go inhabit a fantasy world for awhile. One that isn't an FPS and that has a semi-linear storyline. It doesn't need to be the same as every other Dragon Warrior (tho if you've played the recent DS remakes, you might rethink the criticism since while they all do have very similar engines, the ride is very different for each of em).

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:38:39 PM
VideoGamesIzFun (44)
(Justin B) < El Ripper >
Maryland
Originally posted by: mobiusclimber

Really, I'm just sick of every other game being an FPS even when it's an RPG. If there was a wealth of diverse games to choose from on the current gen systems I wouldn't have a problem. Instead it's "Sports, action or FPS." And by action I really mean third-person style games like God of War. Stuff like SH Homecoming or Alan Wake seem to be a mix of action and FPS (without being first person). I want to go inhabit a fantasy world for awhile. One that isn't an FPS and that has a semi-linear storyline. It doesn't need to be the same as every other Dragon Warrior (tho if you've played the recent DS remakes, you might rethink the criticism since while they all do have very similar engines, the ride is very different for each of em).

Sounds to me like you need to play Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey. 

I like this generation alot because of gamerscore.  Yea it's kind of pointless but  I get satisfaction out of getting all the achievements in games.

What I don't like about this gen is DLC, it was cool when people actually put hard work into a quality DLC (ex. fable 2 or fallout 3 dlc) but now has become so standard for DLC that comanies are selling "season passes" where you get all the DLC for $30 instead of $40.  Are you f'in serious??  I pay $60 for a game and you aren't even going to release the rest of it till later?? AND I have to pay more?? F that.  I've boycotted damn near all DLC this gen

RPG Fans
http://sociallinkmax.proboards.co...

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:42:42 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta
Not every game is an FPS, we also have "starcraft" games and "gto" games and "guitar hero" games and "street fighter" games etc. FPS is just one style in many that are used over and over and I'm always happy when someone actually does something interesting like mixing them First person is just a perspective, the actual gameplay can be completely seperate entity, as we see with oblivion being nothing like call of duty and portal being nothing like oblivion other than that you are in first person perspective. Unlike oldschool rpgs which actually did have mostly all the same gameplay *and* perspective with only the story being different between games.

GRRR!

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:20:10 PM
mobiusclimber (105)
Washington
Originally posted by: VideoGamesIzFun

Yeah, I've heard good things about both of those. If Nier turns out to not be what I'm looking for, I'm going to have to play some Lost Odyssey. 

To cradelit: I will give you "Guitar Hero" tho I think I would lump that in w/ all rhythm games. I could be wrong but it seems like GH is a fad that people are starting to get bored with. There's also DDR and plenty of other games similar.

"Starcraft" is mainly a PC game style tho, right? There haven't been more than a handful (or less) of these types of games on modern consoles have there been?

"GTO" I'm guessing is Grand Theft Auto. This falls into the action category as far as I'm concerned, but if you want to say it's a separate kind of game, fine. 

As for "Street Fighter" if you mean just fighting games I'd have to disagree and say that this gen has had way less fighters than past gens. Maybe it just seems like to me, I dunno. There's only one actual SF game out right now, tho, right? Compared to the twenty billion on the SNES, PS1, etc, right? Have we gotten a new Tekken? Probably one, right? I mean, it seems like past consoles have had way more fighting games. I kinda think this is becoming more of a niche thing, like shmups. It's impossible to do a truly realistic fighting game, and that seems to be where the developer boner is at right now (realism, the grittier the better). So I think that might account for why there's not as many out now as there were on previous consoles.

I also really have to disagree when you say that old school RPGs all have the same perspective. Even in third person games you had ones like DQ where the enemy is in front of you and you don't see your characters, ones like FF where you see your characters on one side and the enemy on the other, ones like Phantasy Star where you see the backs of your characters... You have games with a mix of styles like Warriors of the Eternal Sun, you have first person RPGs, you have action RPGs, you have hybrids like Star Ocean... Again, I don't even mind if you have and RPG that is also an FPS, but it seems to be a trend now and it's one I just don't care for. I'm not even saying it's bad, it's just not my thing.

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:46:08 PM
i love bacon (7)
(bacon lover) < Eggplant Wizard >
New York
some great replies so far, i'll follow up on this later...

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:59:46 PM
cradelit (21)
(crade lit) < Bowser >
Alberta

Originally posted by: VideoGamesIzFun

Yeah, I've heard good things about both of those. If Nier turns out to not be what I'm looking for, I'm going to have to play some Lost Odyssey. 

To cradelit: I will give you "Guitar Hero" tho I think I would lump that in w/ all rhythm games. I could be wrong but it seems like GH is a fad that people are starting to get bored with. There's also DDR and plenty of other games similar.

"Starcraft" is mainly a PC game style tho, right? There haven't been more than a handful (or less) of these types of games on modern consoles have there been?

"GTO" I'm guessing is Grand Theft Auto. This falls into the action category as far as I'm concerned, but if you want to say it's a separate kind of game, fine. 

As for "Street Fighter" if you mean just fighting games I'd have to disagree and say that this gen has had way less fighters than past gens. Maybe it just seems like to me, I dunno. There's only one actual SF game out right now, tho, right? Compared to the twenty billion on the SNES, PS1, etc, right? Have we gotten a new Tekken? Probably one, right? I mean, it seems like past consoles have had way more fighting games. I kinda think this is becoming more of a niche thing, like shmups. It's impossible to do a truly realistic fighting game, and that seems to be where the developer boner is at right now (realism, the grittier the better). So I think that might account for why there's not as many out now as there were on previous consoles.

I also really have to disagree when you say that old school RPGs all have the same perspective. Even in third person games you had ones like DQ where the enemy is in front of you and you don't see your characters, ones like FF where you see your characters on one side and the enemy on the other, ones like Phantasy Star where you see the backs of your characters... You have games with a mix of styles like Warriors of the Eternal Sun, you have first person RPGs, you have action RPGs, you have hybrids like Star Ocean... Again, I don't even mind if you have and RPG that is also an FPS, but it seems to be a trend now and it's one I just don't care for. I'm not even saying it's bad, it's just not my thing.

I suppose.  I was thinking of the game part as the perspective, where you walk around.  The picture in combat can be from a different perspective, thats true.  I meant GTO as a style of game similar to FPS that is used over and over again, not a seperate genre.  If I were grouping gto games in with action, I would have to group RPG games in with strategy and say there are only 2 types of games

In terms of there not being many fighters, well, I was just thinking of my personal collection, I have capcom vs tetsuwhatever, teken 6, street fighter number one million and 6, marvel vs capcom 3 and soul caliber (these would all be action btw ).  Then I have 2-3 guitar hero (action) games (rocksmith rocks, the rest are worthless), Romance of the three kindoms XI (strategy),  opoona (strategy), portal (strategy) and fallout, oblivion, borderlands (action), demon swords (action), mario kart (action) and some grand theft auto game type I never play and don't even know which one it is.  So a good chunk of them are fighters..  and I don't even like fighters that much

edit: oh and I have also ninja gaiden sigma.  It's action.

edit2: Yes, starcraft type games are mostly out on the pc.  I think this type of game works a lot better on PC.  They have tried doing it on console a few times, but it doesn't seem to work well.  Still a new game though.

GRRR!

Edited: 01/09/2012 at 05:12 PM by cradelit

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:13:25 PM
anoffday (2)
(Nintendo Power) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
As far as the crappy licensed stuff goes, I feel like NES had just as much, if not more licensed stuff. But it was just better back then too. For example back then there actually were good movie based games. Lion King and Aladdin come to mind, but now if a game is based on a movie I don't pay any attention to it.

Edited: 01/09/2012 at 10:13 PM by anoffday

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:39:50 PM
Blue Ember (59)
(Jesse Thorn) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
I agree it is a rather pointless endeavor that can easily suck you in if your not careful, basically a way to get people to compete against each other for best gamer score, but most of them are total crap designed for you to torture yourself trying to get them, or in the case of some completely retarded like pushing the start button which is total B/S. Really I think high score competition is enough, but I guess in this day and age not alot of games have scores so achievements or trophies is the replacement and they're way of somehow compensating us, although it is a bit overkill sometimes. I just ignore it for the most part and enjoy the games. 

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:21:39 AM
Chrono (23)
(Glamour Vintage) < Meka Chicken >
Korea, Republic of
Originally posted by: Tanooki

Originally posted by: jbuonacc

i've heard this a lot over the past ten years or so. i'm not sure if i agree...

i bought a PS3 this past Christmas for my son and i. i've got to say that i've had just as much fun playing Rayman Origins, Sonic Generations (and i've never been a Sonic fan), and even Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One than i ever have on pretty much any system, including NES. there's a bunch of PS2 games that we've loved playing as well. i recently played the first Sly Cooper game and was blown away at how awesome it is, i couldn't put it down until i beat it (i'll definitely be buying the HD collection for PS3).

i think these games stand up to anything that has come before them.

one thing i do hate though, is the trend with Trophies and pointless bullshit 'achievements'. i can see its merits in something like the Lego games, but for most anything else i think it's just stupid.

any thoughts on this?

I think it's a mix to your first part.  Some people can't or won't(refuse) to move on and enjoy something modern.  But, that said, there's a lot more trashy stuff shoveled now percentage wise than back in the day.  I'm not saying on NES you didn't have your fair share of steamy turds (Home Alone for instance) but there's a LOT more licensed, shovelware, flash game remakes, and budget no effort crap and it does flood out the nicer things.  Worse yet, HD generation jumped in a generation too early and it jammed up production costs like mad for everyone right to the consumer ($60 vs $50 games) so there's far less creativity and people willing to take a chance or a dare at better new ideas because now a single screw up means unemployment or mergers.  Back then it took far far less cash, people, and other in the way stuff and a small crew of even two could make something spectacular and have their creative controls with it.

To the other thing -- I couldn't agree more.  I find trophies/achievements obtrusive as they pop in games and really just downright offensive.  It's a sad symptom of the 'entitlement' and 'shortest attention span ever' generation.  You basically need to be coddled and told often you did something good, that you don't suck, and a reminder you're important in playing or you somehow feel lesser about yourself not being able to brag about those stupid little things online as they're all linked to some show-off public account.  I'm no fan, and I hate I can't remove them off my system when I no longer have the game (crap I get rid of, or finished and done with so I sell it.)

I just thought I would add a different perspective to the whole trophies/achievements direction that games/systems seem to be going. I always saw them as adding replay value to a game. It encourages players to try something new, or to work at 'mastering' a game by beating it in a different, more challenging way. I loved COD4 and after I finished the game I went looking for another challenge. I then knocked out every achievement for that game, though I never did finish the bonus stage achievement on whatever ungoldly level that it was for. Some of them were down right nasty and forced you to really push the limits of what you could do. It reminded me of getting 'gold' on every level in Goldeneye for N64, doing a 'no-death' or speed run when I was a kid, or trying to find all 99 levels in SMW after you kicked Bowser's tail.

I am searching for the following SNES manuals:
- Sunset Riders    - TMNT IV: Turtles in Time      - Total Carnage
- Utopia                 - Final Fantasy II
Please PM me if you have one or all of them for sale. While I like nice condition, I am interested in anything 7/10ish up.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:01:31 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
I think achievements are awesome if done right. It requires you to think differently or see easter eggs in a game where you normally would just skip right by it.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:43:01 PM
cremorecs (428)
(Phil Screen Games) < Ridley Wrangler >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

I think achievements are awesome if done right. It requires you to think differently or see easter eggs in a game where you normally would just skip right by it.

I agree, I'm on the pro-achievement/trophy bandwagon.
It depends on the game but if it's a game I thoroughly enjoy, then the achievements typically add an extra level of gameplay and challenge. 

There are some pointless ones like collection achievements (although shouldn't that appeal to most of us packrats?) but then there are others that actually require some skill and work.  I still haven't gotten them all but I remember really enjoying going for the L4D2 achievements... and they are tough!
I've only gotten 100% on a couple games but I had a good time doing it.. and that's what it's all about.

Kill Screen Games
https://www.facebook.com/killscre...

Sell me Hong Kong HK NES CIB's and Turbografx CD CIB Games - WTB Thread:  http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:25:21 PM
i love bacon (7)
(bacon lover) < Eggplant Wizard >
New York
again, some good points made here.

as for the trophies, i can understand them in a sense. from what i've seen though, a lot of them appear pretty pointless. it seemed that we were getting trophies every other minute for just basic things in the game (this might have been in Little Big Planet?). is it true that you can't delete them as well? that just plain sucks.

yes, i guess the games that i mentioned were examples of 'old school' style games. i'd still say they're pretty 'current' though, even if they play similar to classic games. really, even FPS games are nothing new, they're just more popular than they were when they started. are any game styles/genres really 'new'? pretty much everything is based on the same ideas we've seen for decades now.

as for licensed games, i can't think of too many (based on movies) for the NES that were really any good. on the other hand, i was really impressed with a number of games based on children's films for the PS2 (Chicken Little and Bolt come to mind).

honestly though, i don't play too many games, so i don't have a lot to go off of.

then again, i'm not into a lot of new games either. just tried demos of Uncharted and Heavy Rain (based on recommendations here) and wasn't too into them. i actually thought Heavy Rain was horrible, though i didn't give it more than ten minutes or so. the voice acting and other aspects killed it for me. i'm a big Dragon Quest fan (my favorite series of all time), and am playing DQ IX right now. sadly, i think it just about sucks. i can't believe it, i never thought i'd feel that way about a DQ game.

ehh, i guess current generation games aren't so great after all. 

i guess my point in this thread was that i realized that there's still games being made today that get me just as excited as i ever was for any NES game back in the day. maybe they're few and far between, but they're around.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:26:24 PM
Pendragon (104)
(Chris Early) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
The thing that I hate about this current generation of gamers is that if a game doesn't have some sort of multiplayer gimmick in it, at all, they wont even pick it up and try it. It makes me sad. I mean alot of our games we talk about on here are NES and SNES etc, and we did FINE back then without it. Everyone has a short attention span these days I guess.

I like RPGs and Shmups. Also a huge Kings Field fan. Nothing like the classics!

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:26:55 AM
Warped (12)
(Ken O) < Meka Chicken >
Nebraska
I think a lot of the problem stems from a lot of us being there from the start. There was a certain charm to the games that didn't mirror a movie with a Hollywood production budget. We had to use our imaginations and hence, I feel we connected with these games on a level today's kids can't. Evidence is seen by the longevity of some of these titles. To this very day, I still buy most of the games that I loved as a kid: Zelda, Castlevania, Contra, Ninja Gaiden .... they all live on. This experience is so hard to match up against when comparing what is out there today and therefore guys like us easily dismiss the new stuff.

Not only that, I think a lot of us would agree that the early video game eras were a pretty fun time to live in. I think right now with the tough times and the decline of much in our society, we associate the games we played as kids with feelings from a better time, hence that is why we are willing to shell out crazy money for them. We don't have time machines, so the best we can do is spend to get a quick fix of our pasts.

I have everything current, but I tend to focus on sequels from my golden era of video gaming instead of branching out and trying new things. I am kind of stuck in my ways and that is fine with me, but I wouldn't say the new generation games all suck. There is a lot of good, but also, there is a lot that does not interest me as I grow older. When I was a kid I used to chuckle at the older guys who were stuck in the 50's & 60's. Now I am doing the same thing myself. Go figure.

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:08:41 AM
Pale Horse (45)
(Shaun ) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan

It's just a sign of the times.  80% of the games during the NES/SNES generation were platformers.  FPS keep getting made because people keep buying them.  There's plenty of great games out there, but you're looking in the wrong places.

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:37:51 AM
Sticky (185)
(Sn0 Bro) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Uh everyone do themselves a favor and play Rayman Origins and then tell me current gen games suck.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:36:56 AM
Addicted (3)
(J. McRae) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Originally posted by: Sticky

Uh everyone do themselves a favor and play Rayman Origins and then tell me current gen games suck.

This. It's a bit sad that it priced bombed to $20, but in this generation FPS are king.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/in...

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:27:19 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Is anyone on here playing Uncharted 3 multi-player? I LOVE the Uncharted series and was working on the Platinum trophy. I only needed the 75 kills in a row without dying (which seems to be stuck for some reason?) and to beat the game again on CRUSHING difficulty plus the 2 multi-player trophies. So I thought ok before I replay the game on Crushing I'll go snag the two online multi-player trophies. HOLY CRAP, about 2 weeks of playing multi-player multiple hours everyday later I am totally addicted to it and can't stop playing it. So fun. So many leveling, cash to buy things, customizations, medals, kickbacks, it is amazing. I long forgot about getting the platinum trophy in favor of leveling up in the world rankings on multi-player!

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:06:20 PM
SengerCJ (7)

(Chad Senger) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States

Implying that Rayman Origins speaks for all games. In my opinion, it's a matter of popular or mainstream games being too repetitive. There's still a lot of good games out there but a lot of what you see are repetitive titles that casual gamers buy. I just get tired of the call of duty and overhyped annual sports games. All in all I don't think you would hear this cliche as much if there were more variety. 

Nintendo 64 Collection:
USA Games- 197/310 63.5%
Japan Exclusives- 37/85 43.5%
PAL Exclusives- 4/4 100.0%
Japan/PAL Exclusives- 2/3 66.7%

Edited: 01/12/2012 at 10:57 PM by SengerCJ

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:45:37 AM
FutanariIsFail (0)
(Chairman of Broads) < Little Mac >
United States
As someone who grew up in the late 90s and early 00s, I can definitely say that modern games do not suck. Perhaps one of my favorite games of all time, let alone right now, is Skyrim. No game I have ever touched has drawn me in so deeply as Skyrim, and I've played many RPGs and just about every Zelda game.

In fact, some not-so-recent games (i.e. released 3-5 years ago) are getting cheaper and cheaper, so now I can finally afford to enjoy Assassin's Creed, BioShock, and other great series. Yeah, I'm pretty cheap.

Homework's whack, and so are rules.
Tuckin' in your shirt's for fools.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:56:20 AM
Sticky (185)
(Sn0 Bro) < Kraid Killer >
United States
Originally posted by: SengerCJ

Implying that Rayman Origins speaks for all games. In my opinion, it's a matter of popular or mainstream games being too repetitive. There's still a lot of good games out there but a lot of what you see are repetitive titles that casual gamers buy. I just get tired of the call of duty and overhyped annual sports games. All in all I don't think you would hear this cliche as much if there were more variety. 

So you're not going to allow me to respond to a blanket statement with another blanket statement? Thx Hitler.

Also, I will continue to buy and play each (EA) NHL release because there is nothing I enjoy more than smoking the Bruins, Red Wings, and the Capitals with the Blackhawks over LIVE.I love to talk shit and send people messages that gamestop is having a trade in special this week for NHL , that one is reserved for when people disconnect before the game is over.

Edited: 01/20/2012 at 12:00 PM by Sticky