Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Is the original Game Boy the G.O.A.T

Mar 31 at 5:17:08 PM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: rlh

I'm working to collect a complete set of original, US GB games.  It doesn't make my answer definitive but as someone who greatly appreciates this system... it's to subjective a question.  No doubt, it proved that a well designed device that provided a cheap way to get games in the hands of consumers was a smart move.  Games were fun (in the late-80s to 90s) the system was easy to develop for and all things considered, for cartridge based systems, it was cheap to manufacture for.  It's awesome!  But, for a game to have long-lasting awesomeness, the games need to reasonably hold up well.  Inspite of the four-shades of pee-green, the some games do hold up well, but many are hard to return to due to the low resolution.  Nintendo provided well designed, solid First Party support but, to be fair, they always set the standard for all of their consoles.

I love the GB and I still enjoy playing games on it.  The last game that caught my eye that was new to me was Trax.  Not to hard but it felt well designed for the unit, and it was good to see that even 25 years later, it was a fun game to play, inspite of the limited nature of the hardware.  That said, it's old hardware and very limited.  With the exception of only a few games (probably between 10-20) there aren't that many games that will engage younger gamers.  In other words, it doesn't hold up.  However, NES, SNES, PS1, Saturn.. all of these systems may have had limited hardware but many games (especially if they were 2D games) have held up much better.  Are those systems more awesome than the GB?  Depends on the gamer.

Now, in regards to kiosk, this below is the answer.
Originally posted by: romiked2689

Originally posted by: Trj22487

G.O.A.T. kiosk

Tabletop or giant dmg? 

I've not met anyone young or old who doesn't think the GIANT DMG that was put in places like Best Buy back in the 90s was awesome.  It's stuck with me to this day.  There have been a lot of Kiosks but, to my knowledge, now one else created a giant version of the device and placed it in stores.  I'm not a kiosk guy and I don't see myself ever becoming one.  They are huge and impractical.  That said, if/when I move and can setup a real game room, and if I ever find one of these kiosks in my area that works and is for sale, this is the only one I'll ever want.  It's amazing and I'd gladly haven't on display, even if it takes up 1/4th of my game room.  Definitelythe g.o.a.t. of console kiosks, and you all are wrong if you disagree.
Sure if you play the game on the original game boy, the games are going to be difficult, but that's not my argument. My argument is about the game library as a whole. You can play gameboy games a number of ways that will prevent the pee green effect. However, the library is second to none, and the best part about it, is that it doesn't take 90 hours to complete a game like other systems for most games.
There are still some games on the system that are very difficult to complete.
Find somebody that has completed gauntlet 2 for example, or Donkey Kong '94 and many other games. Sword of Hope or Star Wars. And then you have James Bond 007, Speedy Gonzales is a very great clone of Sonic the Hedgehog. Or Terminator 2 Judgement Day. Even games like Gargoyles Quest and the megaman games provide a challenge.

If you play the game on it's best possible resoution then you are comparing game library to game library. Game boy has very little fluff and a lot of awesome games.

Edited: 03/31/2019 at 05:48 PM by 14u2ponder

Mar 31 at 5:30:50 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
I don't think you're gonna sway a lot of opinions citing Speedy Gonzalez and Terminator 2

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Mar 31 at 5:32:25 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

I don't think you're gonna sway a lot of opinions citing Speedy Gonzalez and Terminator 2

But Speedy Gonzalez is a great clone of a greater game! 

Edited: 03/31/2019 at 05:32 PM by Gloves

Mar 31 at 5:41:57 PM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: Gloves

lol, yeah. But there are a lot of those games nobody's ever played that are dang near awesome. Like Peetan or Out of Gas. How many people have played that game? How many people know that the game boy got a Snes Star Wars game? A super star wars game for gameboy. Or how many people played spy vs spy or tail gator. lol

Edited: 03/31/2019 at 05:42 PM by 14u2ponder

Mar 31 at 5:48:36 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: 14u2ponder

lol, yeah. But there are a lot of those games nobody's ever played that are dang near awesome. Like Peetan or Out of Gas. How many people have played that game? How many people know that the game boy got a Snes Star Wars game? A super star wars game for gameboy. Or how many people played spy vs spy or tail gator. lol

Lots of people know GB got Super Star Wars. Most/all would argue that the SNES game is better by far.

Mar 31 at 6:13:40 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

You could say that for any system though.  How many people have heard of Prism or Nicoli's Pencil Puzzle, much less played them?

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Edited: 03/31/2019 at 06:13 PM by Brock Landers

Mar 31 at 6:24:21 PM
yukfou (107)
(Great Dragon) < King Solomon >
Maryland
The 3DS is the best handheld system for now. The switch might take over some day though. The 3DS is backwards compatible with the DS, (which has the best library of games), the 3DS has an amazing library, AND you have all the awesome eShop titles. And if you get a New 3DS you have even more options.

The Gameboy doesn't even come close.

My WTB thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 03/31/2019 at 06:24 PM by yukfou

Mar 31 at 6:50:06 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
I recently played through Super Mario Land on a Gameboy (Been a few years, maybe even 10? I play it on the Super Gameboy when I feel like it) and it was an incredible experience.

Nintendo wasn't joking around when they put the "Stereo Sound" in there. I used some good headphones and it melted my brain.

The characters kind of seemed 3D the way the pixels were separated from the beautiful yellow screen.

It was fun as hell.

So... I guess I agree? I mean, functionally I use my SP if I want to go anywhere but I don't play handhelds much.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 03/31/2019 at 06:51 PM by AirVillain

Mar 31 at 6:59:36 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
lol nobody cares about Lock n Chase.

Tetris is great, and is also available on almost every platform there is. Some very amazing versions. I'm hardpressed to come up with any other memorable puzzle games on Gameboy. GB Bust-a-move is terrible.

Dig Dug is better on Famicom, better still in the arcade.

I'm a fan of Zelda games, much less so when outside of Hyrule.

Wario is the cheapest type of bad guy.

I like Super Mario Land but it's so short.

Megaman sucks on Gameboy. So does TMNT.

Mar 31 at 7:48:05 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: gunpei
Megaman sucks on Gameboy. So does TMNT.
Fall of the Foot Clan is good. The other two not so much.

And only the second Castlevania game is worth playing.

DK 94 is cool, but some of the levels wear out their welcome.

I actually like BurgerTime Deluxe better than most other versions. I think that's one where the GB version is worth playing.

Mar 31 at 8:27:21 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Sooo I love Game Boy. I play the games unironically, and I'm thrilled when I find fun ones that I've never played anywhere else. I repair and modify the hardware. I fully agree that it's great to collect for. Huge GB guy. We could come up with a solid 50 games that are arguably must-plays, and 20 or so of those might be exclusive to Game Boy.

But I can't agree that it's the GOAT. I fully recognize that many of the games were ports of better, home console versions. (I still play them, of course.) I learned to play Klax on GB, played it all the way through, and loved it. Then I fired it up on Atari Lynx and had a way better experience. A little color goes a long way. Many of of us here on NA would agree (or SHOULD agree) that the NES is not the GOAT either, but it's the console of choice for many.

But it's great to see someone who loves it so much, because I feel like it's underrated. Not SUPER underrated, just... slightly underrated. And maybe this thread serves better as a "The GB is underrated" thread than a GOAT thread.

Side note, you say you completed Gauntlet II, do you mean you looped around to level 1??

Mar 31 at 8:35:11 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Fall of the Foot Clan is good. The other two not so much.
I like it too, but compared to the Arcade Game it isn't much.

Mar 31 at 8:42:37 PM
Beabull (8)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Tom Brady = G.O.A.T

Mar 31 at 8:43:47 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
This was definitely the pinnacle to me...

Mar 31 at 8:47:18 PM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: Splain

Sooo I love Game Boy. I play the games unironically, and I'm thrilled when I find fun ones that I've never played anywhere else. I repair and modify the hardware. I fully agree that it's great to collect for. Huge GB guy. We could come up with a solid 50 games that are arguably must-plays, and 20 or so of those might be exclusive to Game Boy.

But I can't agree that it's the GOAT. I fully recognize that many of the games were ports of better, home console versions. (I still play them, of course.) I learned to play Klax on GB, played it all the way through, and loved it. Then I fired it up on Atari Lynx and had a way better experience. A little color goes a long way. Many of of us here on NA would agree (or SHOULD agree) that the NES is not the GOAT either, but it's the console of choice for many.

But it's great to see someone who loves it so much, because I feel like it's underrated. Not SUPER underrated, just... slightly underrated. And maybe this thread serves better as a "The GB is underrated" thread than a GOAT thread.

Side note, you say you completed Gauntlet II, do you mean you looped around to level 1??

No, what I said is that you'd be hard pressed to find someone that has beat all 100 levels of it.
I'm still not understanding what the big deal with color is?
Color really doesn't make the game for me. In fact, it can be a negative in most cases. You can't tell me you prefer The legend of Zelda to links awakening, just because of the color.
And let's compare links awakening on gb to the new switch version, has that improved?
I love the black and white estetic and can appreciate the sprites a lot more.
To me it is more about the detail they put into the graphics.

As far as Klax is concerned, you picked the one game that depends on color as a crucial part of the gameplay element. lol, that was never going to end well.

Edited: 03/31/2019 at 09:11 PM by 14u2ponder

Mar 31 at 8:58:34 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
I think somebody is trying to offload a Gameboy collection on ebay

Mar 31 at 9:04:11 PM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
Which looks better? 
Mega Man Snes 

vs.
Mega Man Gameboy

Mar 31 at 9:05:43 PM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: gunpei

I think somebody is trying to offload a Gameboy collection on ebay
So people use this site to inflate prices? Interesting. 

Mar 31 at 9:17:14 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

Which looks better? 
Mega Man Snes 
vs.
Mega Man Gameboy
Is this thread just a joke or something?

Mega Man X on SNES is beautiful and the GB game could never compare. I feel like this is some troll or something. Am I on the show Punked right now?

Edited: 03/31/2019 at 09:17 PM by Gloves

Mar 31 at 9:18:30 PM
yukfou (107)
(Great Dragon) < King Solomon >
Maryland

Which looks better? 
Mega Man Snes 
vs.
Mega Man Gameboy
Is this thread just a joke or something?

Mega Man X on SNES is beautiful and the GB game could never compare. I feel like this is some troll or something. Am I on the show Punked right now?

Maybe it's already April fool's day where the thread's creator lives?

My WTB thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 03/31/2019 at 09:18 PM by yukfou

Mar 31 at 9:21:25 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

Which looks better? 
Mega Man Snes 

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fSB..." width="500">>

vs.
Mega Man Gameboy

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bwt..." width="500">>

Okay, I admit you had me until here.  A troll well executed.  I tip my hat.

Mar 31 at 9:25:40 PM
aquaticiguana (4)
< Tourian Tourist >
Jeremy Parish's YouTube series on the gameboy library is really good and is a fair look at the games I think. I haven't played one since the 90s so i'm not totally up to date, but as much as I love the memories, there are some real awkward and boring games on there. Plus the green screen...

That said I will be buying a blinged out modded gb in the future and look forward to some monochromatic action.

Mar 31 at 9:31:15 PM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: aquaticiguana

Jeremy Parish's YouTube series on the gameboy library is really good and is a fair look at the games I think. I haven't played one since the 90s so i'm not totally up to date, but as much as I love the memories, there are some real awkward and boring games on there. Plus the green screen...

That said I will be buying a blinged out modded gb in the future and look forward to some monochromatic action.

cool, welcome aboard

Mar 31 at 9:40:08 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Handhelds in general have always been sub-par consoles. The GB was a nice step up from Game&Watch type of displays though back when it was released but I still found the GBA to be a more impressive when it was released.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Mar 31 at 10:08:33 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Splain

Many of of us here on NA would agree (or SHOULD agree) that the NES is not the GOAT.
FTFY. I agree!

Edited: 03/31/2019 at 10:09 PM by JamesRobot