Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Roadrunner filter issue problem with internet

Sep 22, 2016 at 8:11:44 PM
mkiker2089 (17)
(Marshall Kiker) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
I know it's a long shot but does anyone here know about broadband service? TWC made changes yesterday and my internet was failing ever since. Uncorrectable codewords and partial service fallback.

In the box outside my home I found a filter Regal zdrdcuv10-4 and removed it. My modem is not hooked straight to the poll. That fixed the issue and my internet seems fine now. The snr went from 29 on most channels to a solid 37-38 on all.

What was the filter for? I'm assuming they changed the frequency or something else obscure and my filter was no longer compatible.

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:45:48 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Usually, cable filters are used to block specific frequencies (channels) but can also be used to totally cut off service. When I was still living at home with my parents and my brother had moved back in, he got his own broadband service via the same cable company that my parents were using. Then, one day, out of the blue, the TV and internet for my parents goes out completely. It turns out that my brother had cancelled his service in preparation of moving out, but the person the cable company had sent to do the disconnect added the "block" filter to the wrong cable box. We ended up having to wait a couple of days until somebody would come back out and take care of the issue since the filter used required a special tool to officially remove it (and my parents had already reported the issue, so letting the cable company know we could jimmy their filters off wasn't desired).

Depending on where you live, if there are other cable boxes near yours, it's possible that a neighbor had a change of service similar to what my parents I and I experienced with my brother and your service simply got cut off in error. Past that, I'd guess as you did that they changed the frequency they were using (probably due to an upgrade) and just failed to go back and update your filter. With no filter at all on your line, you might want to surf around on your TV and see if you pick up anything new (or if you didn't previously subscribe to cable at all, if you've suddenly got service).

-------------------------
Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!