Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The BEST Demolition Derby Games - Updated 12-16-14 What's your favorite and why? (major text warning)

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:03:43 PM
Ryder4864 (196)

(Michael D) < Kraid Killer >
Pennsylvania
After nearly 4-years, I figured I'd update this thread and give it a bump.  Alphabatized and new additions.  Enjoy.

There are plenty of Demolition Derby games out there and some a great and some just suck.  I usually don't play the ones that are terrible for very long, and in fact, I can barely remember their titles.  So without mentioning the terrible ones, I've compiled a list of some of my favorite demolition derby games and a brief reason why.

I'm always looking for a new Demolition Derby game to add to my collection.  One of the most important aspects that I look for in a Demolition Derby is how realistic the game play, crashes, and physics are.  Don't get me wrong, there are a couple that aren't very realistic at all, but they were awesome in their day.

Here's my list of games, in order in which I could remember them.

BeamNG (PC) - From what I can tell, this is still a work in progress.  It's a physics engine that allows someone to have nearly full control of the vehicle and place it in various senarios.  I have an early release and there are some things that bothers me about the realism of the simulator.  The vehicles (ones I used at least) had a wobble to them.  Meaning the vehicle had a 'jello' like feel to it.  They should be more rigid.  Also, and this is a real dumb problem, the glass on the vehicles does not break, but stretch when the vehicle becomes deformed.  I imagine on a later release or when the simulator becomes a game this will be resolved.  It was kind of funny when the windshield stretches  when driving under a low bridge or overhang. www.beamng.com

Blood Drive (PS3) - A cross between Carmageddon and Twisted Metal.  Weapons added to your car and you can crush zombies roaming the streets.  It's an alright game, but not one of my favorites.

Blur (PS3) - Kind of like a Mario-Kart racing game with PS3 graphics.  Not one of the best games, but if you scored it cheap then it'll keep you busy for a couple days.

Burnout 2 (GC) - A very fun game that consumed many hours of my time.  From all the trophies that you can win and cars to unlock, this game required a lot of time and drifting expertise.  There really wasn't anything more fun than wrecking into other cars in an intersection and watching it in slow motion.  A very fun game.  Burnout Paradise is one of the best in the series.

Burnout Paradise (PS3) - I bought this game the day it was launched and it was love at first sight.  Although the game has an "arcade" feel to it's game play and it's fast paced, it's a definite favorite.  This game offers a mix between the openess of the Grand Theft Autos while maintaining the style of the Burnout series.  If you love Burnout and haven't played this, what are you waiting for?

Burnout Revenge (PS2) - I just purchased a Playstation 2 CIB from a co-worker and immediately picked up this game from GameStop.  It is a heck of a lot better than Burnout 2, but not nearly as good as Burnout Paradise (PS3).  The game play is pretty fast and difficult, keeping me interested.  You cannot go wrong with the Burnout series.

Carmageddon 2 (PC) - This game is somewhat of a cartoon, but it was highly entertaining.  I've spent so many hours playing this game just bashing into things and finding power ups.  I wasn't much of a fan of Carmageddon 1 or Carmageddon TDR 2000, and the N64 version shouldn't even be mentioned.  After browsing the internet, I found a mod for Carmageddon 2 that will completely transform the game to Destruction Derby 2.  I'm in the process of installing the mod on my Carmageddon 2 and I'll update with how good it is.  The conversion mod can be found here:  http://www.moddb.com/games/carmageddon-ii-carpocalypse-now/m...  (I updated to the mod and it was really Destruction Derby 1 for the PSX).

Crash Day (PC) - I only played this for a few hours because I became quite bored with the lack of opponents.  One of the best features was that you could customize your tracks without any special programs or knowledge.  If some one spent the time, you could really make something awesome.  However, the lack of features in this game really was a damper on its fun and I had a hard time convincing anyone to play it with me.

Demolition Racer (PSX & PC) - It's a good game, but somewhat unrealistic and on the cartoon side.  I had a lot of fun playing and destroying cars by landing on top of them.  It's been so long since I have played this one, I can't really tell you more about it.  I did have some fun though.  I just bought Demolition Racer: No Exit for the Dreamcast (received it today).  I haven't played it and I'll update once I do.

Demolition Racer: NO EXIT (DC) - Received this game the day I made this post.  Had a DC to play it on, but didn't have an S-Video TV.  Ordered a converter and the game played in black and white.  Bought another DC off of Craigslist and started playing this game.  It's a lot of fun, but very challenging.  This game definitely has other features to the game that the PSX and PC release didn't offer.  The game was only $5.00, so if you have a DC, pick this one up.

Destruction Derby (PSX) - I'm not sure if I had the demo to this game or not, but I can remember obsessing over this game while I was in school.  I'd walk home from my bus stop and just think about the ways I could wreck into other opponents.  One of the things that frustrated me the most was that the car never left the ground.  It didn't roll over, tires didn't go flat and the glass didn't break.  It was fun back in the day.  Today it's just a tad bit slow.

Destruction Derby 2 (PSX) - This game consumed a lot of my time also.  I barely played this game in career mode (I had a gameshark to unlock tracks).  I played the demolition derby bowls and found a way to sky rocket my car into the air hundreds of feet.  It didn't gain me any points, but it was neat just to be able to do it.

Destruction Derby RAW (PSX) - I don't know how I missed this game when it was released.  I didn't play this game until after the PS2 slim was released.  Some how I was searching on eBay for Destruction Derby 1 and found this title.  Luckily I found one (brand new) and scooped it up.  I didn't play this as long as I played the other Destruction Derby's, but I still liked the game.

Flat Out (PC) - When I purchased this game and started playing, I literally didn't leave my computer until I unlocked everything... well almost everything.  Towards the end of the game, it started to get impossible and I eventually just gave up.  I had a lot of fun played, but shortly after I got this game, Flat Out 2 was released and I moved on.

Flat Out 2 (PC) - I was all over this game.  Not only did I beat this game, but I kept playing my favorite races over and over again trying to get that "perfect crash".  Not that a perfect crash is a part of the game, but just something for me to entertain myself with.  I haven't played either of the Flat Outs on any console, so I won't give any input.

Full Auto (Xbox 360) - The Twisted Metal idea moves to the 360.  My buddy got a 360 and this game was on his demo disc and we kept playing that one race over and over.  He finally bought the full version and it was just as much fun.  One of the draw backs would be that you have to pick your weapons at the beginning of the race, and that's all you get.  This game has great graphics and was super fun.  I don't have a 360 and my buddy sold his, so my time with this one was limited.  I heard that Full Auto 2 for the PS3 was a flop and not that great.

Full Auto 2 - Battlelines (PS3) - Absolutely horrible.  The physics engine is terrible and the gameplay is worse.  If you own it, I'm sorry.  Therefore, I'm sorry for myself ;-)

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PC) - Sure there was other things to do in the game, but after I got so far as to unlock all of the islands, I would just drive around and smash into things.  I would just go around and shoot other cars, blow out their tires and shoot out the windows.  Not that realistic of a game (physics wise), but I don't think that it would be very fun to total a car after hitting a fire hydrant.  The other Grand Theft Autos were great too, but Vice City was the one I played the most.

Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) - Yes.  Excellent game, great storyline, new concept all around.  The car crashes are pretty decent, but the physics are geared towards not completely destroying your car on the first hit-Understandable.  The online mode is awesome.  Not a "demolition derby" game, but can be used as such.

Next Car Game (PC) - I recently downloaded the demo and I have to admit, the game it very realistic.  The graphics are really good and the detail is unmatched across the demolition derby board.  I can't wait to buy the retail game (which I think is available now).  This game started out as a Kickstarter and then progressed into full development.  Some of the features I'm looking forward to is the racing style of the Flatout series and the 24-person online multiplayer.  Give it a shot at www.nextcargame.com

Rush 2049 (N64 & DC) - How the hell could I forget about this game?  It's not entirely a destruction derby game, but you could wreck cars and perform stunts.  I love the Dreamcast version more than the N64, but I grew up on the N64 version.  The Rush series was a very good racing series for the N64, especially with the introduction to the "stunt" mode in Rush 2.  The original won my heart with all of the mountain dew's that you had to find, just to unlock the fastest car in the game and also the large amount of hidden short cuts.

Twisted Metal 2 (PSX) - Not a very realist game in my eyes, but the entertainment value when it came out was huge.  I borrowed this from a friend (when I couldn't afford it) and played it until he begged for it back.  The objectives of destroying the other cars and unlocking features kept me playing.  Honestly, I haven't played any of the other Twisted Metals, despite owning all of the PSX releases.  One thing that I've been looking for is the PC version of this game.  I had a buddy in college that I played with multiplayer on the PC, but I have yet to locate my own copy.  The multiplayer on the PC was AWESOME!!

Twisted Metal (PS3) - The game is pretty fun with the typical Twisted Metal feel.  Drive around, gathering weapons and powerups.  Destroy your opponents and challenging boxxes.  The storyline is absolutely amazing and the cut scenes are VERY good.  This is a definite if you have a PS3 and enjoy some old fashoned destruction.

Test Drive Eve of Destruction (PS2) - If you're a fan of demolition derby's, and haven't played this GO GET IT.  I feel that it is one of the most realistic demolition derby's out there.  There are so many different types of races and a lot of tracks and cars to unlock.  

Vigilante 8 (PSX) - Although this game can be considered a Twisted Metal knock-off, it did offer it's own style of game play.  I can't honestly say that I've played this game to death, but I played enough to know that it was very fun and a good competitor to the Twisted Metals.  It's definitely a shame that these games didn't get more publicity and come out with more titles in the series. 

If there are any games that I'm missing, leave a reply and I can try them out and add them to the list. 

-------------------------

Everything is better CIB.

Edited: 12/16/2014 at 09:11 PM by Ryder4864

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:07:00 PM
RetroBasement (142)
(I read PM's !) < King Solomon >
Ohio
you should add Vigilante 8 my fav for sure (n64)

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:10:48 PM
Ryder4864 (196)

Pennsylvania
I knew there were some I missed. Vigilante 8 was one that I played on the PSX. I haven't played the N64 version (I own both CIBs).

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:19:49 PM
RetroBasement (142)
(I read PM's !) < King Solomon >
Ohio
haha ya im sure its the same i just had it on n64

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:21:02 PM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
I was surprised to not see any of the games from the Burnout series on the list. Burnout 2 was awesome, Burnout: Revenge was pretty great, too. Crash mode is always a great time! The concept lends itself well to an open-world style of gameplay, so Burnout: Paradise is a great game too. It's just a shame that they got rid of Crash mode as it was.

Dec 6, 2010 at 10:47:30 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Destruction Derby was the game for me as there was just so much crumbling of the car to do, and I had the PC version as it oddly came with an old PC video card (Matrox Mystique) for free in the day. They're not really 'derby' but GTA3/VC and also the original Papyrus release of NASCAR for DOS I'd go car smashing happy with, and on that NASCAR one I got to where I could jack up a car within one hit of failure including still making the loop on 3 wheels which was challenging fun.

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:22:38 PM
TokinAlot (36)
(Mr Bako) < Lolo Lord >
Maine
187 Ride or Die for PS2.Honestly the game itself blows but when your playing co-op with one person driving and your shooting a rocket launcher its pretty bad ass lol.

PM me if you have gem mint NES cib's or Club Nintendo codes

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:23:02 PM
TokinAlot (36)
(Mr Bako) < Lolo Lord >
Maine

sry double post

PM me if you have gem mint NES cib's or Club Nintendo codes

Edited: 12/07/2010 at 12:07 AM by TokinAlot

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:01:11 AM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
I second Burnout Revenge, and I also liked being the cops in Need for Speed High Stakes, and the new one's pretty cool too.

By the way, if you enter "GIVEALL" for a name on Flatout, it unlocks all the bonus minigames (darts, cards, bowling, high jump, etc.)...

Dec 7, 2010 at 12:30:15 AM
SKULLDEATH9000 (161)
(Jay Z ) < Kraid Killer >
Maryland
Carmageddon 2 for PC hands down is the best Demolition Derby Game ever! Also your missing the runner up for the Arcade Coin-Op "Speed Rumbler" this game was destruction derby at it's BEST!

<--- Don't be a JIVE TURKEY!
Magfest 2016:  "Even kids are dying to play this game"
Magfest 2016:  "Slip em a 20" 

Campout 2011: "I hate TETRIS I would like to go back in time and punch that Soviet dude right in the FACE"
Chuck Yeager's Fighter Combat - Chuck Yeager "I don't even know you." 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Thread Owner of Enslaved's 5000th POST!

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:14:30 AM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
Star Wars Demolition, anybody? Eh?!

...well, it's cool if you like Star Wars...

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:06:26 AM
acidjaguar (668)
(Lloyd Christmas) < Bowser >
Montana
^what?!? I've never heard of this but feel I should own it

For sale thread located here: click
Wanted to buy: click

Top wants currently: 
Old NES / SNES era newsletters and mailings
Original GB Chinese games (CHN coding on label)

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:28:27 AM
RetroNESNerd (77)
(Justin S) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Rogue trip was another good car combat game for the PS1.

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:48:12 AM
del01 (81)
(Retrosexual ) < El Ripper >
Ontario
They will never make a video game that can compare with this. Next to getting in a real car and doing the Malachi crunch this is as good as it gets for demolition derby.

Photobucket

My name is del01 and I approve this message.

If del was a chair...
I'd sit on it like Michelle Pfeiffer in the gangsters paradise video - Herbalist

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:10:40 AM
KingYoshi (66)
(William Reed) < Meka Chicken >
Virginia
"Demolition Racer: No Exit" for Dreamcast is my favorite demolition derby game by far. I haven't played it in so long though. I just remember the epic kills like, "Death from Above" and of course the "T-Bone"!

Check out my FS thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...
PLEASE contact me immediately if you have any of the following orphans for sale....Rule of Rose (PS2) manual only, Kuon (PS2) case and manual only, Haunting Ground (PS2) case and manual only.

Dec 7, 2010 at 7:56:00 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Twisted Metal 2 > all.

But the Vigilante series does get an honorable mention in my book.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:25:30 AM
Ryder4864 (196)

Pennsylvania
I totally forgot about the Burnout Series. I have Burnout 1 and 2 for the Gamecube and the second is my favorite. I own Burnout Paradise for the PS3. I bought it when working at Best Buy and played it on my buddy's PS3 (who was livinig with me at the time). He moved out and I kept the game. I mean, come on, I paid $59+tax on release day. Now it's a greatest hits.

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:23:16 AM
Enslaved (106)
(Edd Showalter) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Burnout Paradise would have to be my favorite one. I can play that game for hours, and it will never lose it's fun factor.

Check out this really awesome WTB thread that I found, I heard this guy wants games at the cheapest rate possible!  Now on the look out for Unlicensed NES!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:16:16 PM
Ryder4864 (196)

Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: SKULLDEATH9000

Carmageddon 2 for PC hands down is the best Demolition Derby Game ever! Also your missing the runner up for the Arcade Coin-Op "Speed Rumbler" this game was destruction derby at it's BEST!

Were you able to get the Multiplayer (over the internet/network) to work correctly?  My buddy and I tried to get it working for the longest time and could never get it to connect.

I originally downloaded Carmageddon 2 as a demo and instead of people it was zombies.  For some reason, I think that the demo was much different than the actual released game.  It was still a blast though.

Has anyone ever played this coin-op arcade game by Bally?  http://home.comcast.net/~lancelotDave/DemoDerby.htm 

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:02:58 PM
SKULLDEATH9000 (161)
(Jay Z ) < Kraid Killer >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Ryder4864

Were you able to get the Multiplayer (over the internet/network) to work correctly?  My buddy and I tried to get it working for the longest time and could never get it to connect.

I originally downloaded Carmageddon 2 as a demo and instead of people it was zombies.  For some reason, I think that the demo was much different than the actual released game.  It was still a blast though.

Has anyone ever played this coin-op arcade game by Bally?  http://home.comcast.net/~lancelotDave/DemoDerby.htm 

Dude I think the game only worked in LAN.  Never tried using it over the net, because I still had 56k modem LOL!

<--- Don't be a JIVE TURKEY!
Magfest 2016:  "Even kids are dying to play this game"
Magfest 2016:  "Slip em a 20" 

Campout 2011: "I hate TETRIS I would like to go back in time and punch that Soviet dude right in the FACE"
Chuck Yeager's Fighter Combat - Chuck Yeager "I don't even know you." 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Thread Owner of Enslaved's 5000th POST!

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:05:42 PM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
Destruction Derby for the PS1 was always a favorite of mine. I've actually been searching around for the Saturn import version of it lately. Kinda timely you started a thread about it.

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:51:08 AM
Rengozu (54)
(Jeff Smith) < Lolo Lord >
Tennessee
Destruction Derby and Burnout 2 are high on my list for awesome racing crashers, with Twisted Metal 2 at the top for car combat.

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:50:33 PM
Ryder4864 (196)

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by: Ryder4864

Dude I think the game only worked in LAN.  Never tried using it over the net, because I still had 56k modem LOL!

We tried using an online application called Himachi or something?  It barely worked and I think we just gave up.

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:56:45 PM
Ryder4864 (196)

Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: KingYoshi

"Demolition Racer: No Exit" for Dreamcast is my favorite demolition derby game by far. I haven't played it in so long though. I just remember the epic kills like, "Death from Above" and of course the "T-Bone"!

I just starting playing this game for the Dreamcast and have added it to the list.  It's a great game and one that any demolition derby fan can enjoy.  

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:44:09 AM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
For actual battling, Twisted Metal was the bomb, for spectacular crashes and such, I love the Burnout series.