Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2016 Weekly Contests Presents: Mighty Bomb Jack Contest ends Sunday, 9/25/16 at 11 PM NA time

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:16:52 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Krunch

That's really high for start of level 3, I'm not sure why you're doing. My highest at that point is about 220K.

I think you're definitely safe to get top 8 with 700K. Doesn't seem to be much interest in this game. Maybe it's the end-of-year effect.

My goal is 1 million. I'm out of town all weekend so whatever I post Friday night will be my final score.

The frustration factor might explain the lack of popularity. The far easier RoadBlasters got a bunch of participation.

I'll PM you how to get such a high score by level 3. You're ahead of me anyway.

-------------------------
Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:54:45 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
I adjusted something in the rules regarding reentering rooms. I'm not even sure if you can reenter a room so this rule was just a safety net. But, by all means, if you lose a life, you can reenter all rooms of the stage you've been in on your previous life.

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:45:01 AM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Nice to see Mighty Bomb Jack make the weekly contests! It's really not as bad as a lot of people say. To those who haven't tried it yet, I encourage you to give it a fair shot. It may surprise you!

Here's a hint: The enemies appear to be random, but they're not. The mummies always transform into one of six things. Which one, is entirely up to you!

I recommend the slow, red thing with the rabbit ears. They don't chase you and move slowly even on the later levels.

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:06:05 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Originally posted by: rdrunner

Nice to see Mighty Bomb Jack make the weekly contests! It's really not as bad as a lot of people say. To those who haven't tried it yet, I encourage you to give it a fair shot. It may surprise you!

Here's a hint: The enemies appear to be random, but they're not. The mummies always transform into one of six things. Which one, is entirely up to you!

I recommend the slow, red thing with the rabbit ears. They don't chase you and move slowly even on the later levels.

The turtle shells with legs are the worst.

EDIT: They're supposed to be jellyfish, but they still look like turtles to me.

Edited: 09/24/2016 at 10:43 PM by mbd39

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:12:12 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
The red thing with rabbit ears reminds me of the Noid. I call them Noids.

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:18:32 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
I like this game. Plus its not Iron Sword.

My SNES games are pissing me off anyways so I might actually play the shit out of this, which has been uncommon lately

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:50:03 AM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Woooooo I haven't played yet!

Two icons for skinny this year?!!! I think so! 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Edited: 09/22/2016 at 03:25 AM by skinnygrinny

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:15:47 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: rdrunner

Oh, interesting!  This game has some pretty neat "hidden" mechanics just like this one.

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Edited: 09/22/2016 at 10:15 AM by arnpoly

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:40:51 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

I think you're forgetting the 3rd place icon.  So three!...  

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:51:54 AM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
SCORE: 114610

toughed it out for yet another bottom of the barrel participation score! gotta try to hold onto that possible tier 3 run in just a few short weeks!

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:03:38 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

I think you're forgetting the 3rd place icon.  So three!...  

Ooooohhhhh! Lol   good one sandafloor! 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:42:28 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I had over 700k by the beginning of stage 6 and I choked. I should have had over 750k.

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:18:32 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta

I'm gonna be sad to put this game away after the week's done. Did not expect to like it this much. Glad I decided to pull the trigger on an (IMO) underpriced CIB instead of cheaping out and getting a loose cart.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:20:27 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I'm gonna be sad to put this game away after the week's done. Did not expect to like it this much. Glad I decided to pull the trigger on an (IMO) underpriced CIB instead of cheaping out and getting a loose cart.

What level did you get to? Did you beat the game?

I'll be happy to get 800k.

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:32:56 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
Originally posted by: mbd39

Nah dude. I died in the level 7 bonus room (I think level 7, the room where the bombs are lodged between the platforms). One of those damn Metroids got me.

I point pressed in the totem pole room and subsequent bonus room to get this score. Obviously there was more to the run than that but that was a sizable amount of points.

This was actually quite an imperfect score because I died pre-totem level, and I also died twice I believe without milking the totem room. Tons of room to improve. I'd like to try for 2 million but I'm not sure. That seems like a high benchmark.

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:38:42 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Nah dude. I died in the level 7 bonus room (I think level 7, the room where the bombs are lodged between the platforms). One of those damn Metroids got me.

I point pressed in the totem pole room and subsequent bonus room to get this score. Obviously there was more to the run than that but that was a sizable amount of points.

This was actually quite an imperfect score because I died pre-totem level, and I also died twice I believe without milking the totem room. Tons of room to improve. I'd like to try for 2 million but I'm not sure. That seems like a high benchmark.

Nice.

That is a tough area to point press. There are so many enemies in the totem pole room that getting access to the hidden room and the 'S' coin isn't easy.

Sep 22, 2016 at 6:43:02 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta

Nice.

That is a tough area to point press. There are so many enemies in the totem pole room that getting access to the hidden room and the 'S' coin isn't easy.

I don't think it's too bad. You just have to backtrack a lot to scroll enemies off, and take your time unlocking the "S" room sphinx, backtracking there when necessary. One reason I like this one for pressing is because it's relatively short, and because Mighty Coins are plentiful.

I actually found the other sphinx in this area, but sadly the room it leads to is not very profitable. However there might be a secret in that room that I'm missing, so on my next run I will search a bit. At any rate at least you can score for the sphinx itself.

Edited: 09/22/2016 at 06:43 PM by Krunch

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:15:56 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Nice.

I don't think it's too bad. You just have to backtrack a lot to scroll enemies off, and take your time unlocking the "S" room sphinx, backtracking there when necessary. One reason I like this one for pressing is because it's relatively short, and because Mighty Coins are plentiful.

I actually found the other sphinx in this area, but sadly the room it leads to is not very profitable. However there might be a secret in that room that I'm missing, so on my next run I will search a bit. At any rate at least you can score for the sphinx itself.

You're right. It's not too bad as long as you keep backtracking.  Thank goodness it's a NES game and enemies disappear when you scroll them off screen. That's the only way to temporarily dispose of enemies except for the 'P' coins.

BTW, I think one of the crucial parts of getting a high score besides hitting the big bonuses is getting to level 4 with 8 mighty coins. That way you won't have to worry about mighty coins when you reach the 'S' coins.

And the 'B' coins in the bomb rooms make the points go up for grabbing bombs.

Edited: 09/23/2016 at 03:36 AM by mbd39

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:24:53 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta

Nice.

You're right. It's not too bad as long as you keep backtracking.  Thank goodness it's a NES game and enemies disappear when you scroll them off screen. That's the only way to temporarily dispose of enemies except for the 'P' coins.

I reached level 8 today but only got around a measly 700k because I didn't do any point racking. You actually go outside and hop on clouds on that stage, and the music is different. It's pretty cool.

BTW, I think one of the crucial parts of getting a high score besides hitting the big bonuses is getting to level 4 with 8 mighty coins. That way you won't have to worry about mighty coins when you reach the 'S' coins.

And the 'B' coins in the bomb rooms make the points go up for grabbing bombs.

With practice it isn't too hard to conserve your mighty coins. I rarely find myself in enough of a jam to need to use 3 to transform the enemies. In fact, I've been having more of a problem accidentally sending myself to the Torture Room and ending my run  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the B coins also multiply the enemy tokens in the bonus rooms? 

Sep 22, 2016 at 8:27:24 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
OK, time to give this game a serious try.
Hopefully I will be able to muster a half decent score.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:23:44 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
You know what sucks? When you're entering a secret room from the ceiling, you have to move away from the opening immediately upon entry or you'll fall back through and get sealed off. This bullshit has happened to me too many times.

Edited: 09/22/2016 at 10:24 PM by mbd39

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:30:31 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
OK, so... I was at stage 11, and ended up taking a warp to stage 6...
Now what? I guess this run won't be valid after all.
It is fine if it isn't though. I had a meagre 1,000,000 points at stage 11.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:39:47 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

I didn't even know there was warp in the game. Naturally, warping back is forbidden cause it completely breaks the high-score contest.

Could you describe what you did to warp back?

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:44:25 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Originally posted by: guillavoie

I didn't even know there was warp in the game. Naturally, warping back is forbidden cause it completely breaks the high-score contest.

It was pretty simple. I was slow with the pad and fell into a pit right at the start of stage 11, which warped me back to stage 6.
Alas... better luck tomorrow, I guess.
If I actually get time to play it tomorrow... otherwise, I will give it another spin Sunday.

Edited: 09/22/2016 at 10:46 PM by Bea_Iank

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:46:18 PM
guillavoie (125)
Quebec

Originally posted by: guillavoie

It was pretty simple. I was slow with the pad and fell into a pit right at the start of stage 11, which warped me back to stage 6.

Fuck them!

If you took a picture of your score immediately after taking the warp, this score would be valid. Taking a warp end your run.