Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Do I really need to play every other Zelda game?

Jun 16 at 12:03:48 AM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
So, I finished Link's Awakening about 6 months ago and I LOVE this game, so naturally you'd think that you'd want play the rest. But nope. The more I look at the games i could play and the games that are out there, the formula seems extremely repetative, so why do I need to play the same game, in 20 different versions?

Link's Awakening was a masterpiece of simplicity, discovery and everything I liked about Zelda. I feel similarly about Star Wars (the new movies). I like most people saw The Force Awakens and loved it for the nostalgia, but every other Star Wars Movie after the orginal 3, just seems labarious and stupid to me.

What's the point of re-hashing the same old formula over and over again. So it's link's awakening for me and I'm out.

Jun 16 at 1:38:23 AM
dragonwarrior83 (36)
(Nick R) < Meka Chicken >
Georgia
Have you played any of the others or only link's awakening?

-------------------------
Got all 4 Dragon Warriors CIB, Thanks Everyone. Now looking for Dragon Quest ( Famicom ) 1, 2, and 3. Also a box and guide for Earthbound.

Jun 16 at 1:53:22 AM
VGS_OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
I know people have wrong opinions on the internet, but this takes the cake!

www.videogamesage.com...

Jun 16 at 1:56:22 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: OptOut

Plus one on this. 
WRONG!

Jun 16 at 2:23:39 AM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Wait until you discover Pokemon, where every game is almost the literal exact same thing.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Jun 16 at 2:48:26 AM
Wheelcakes (14)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
Thats fair since Zelda isnt very good and even more so for NES ones.

KDDK Player  

Jun 16 at 4:39:17 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
What other ones have you played? I haven't played them all myself some which are among my favorites and some which are just okay but i always felt like each entry has its hallmark style and mechanics.

I think they're all worth playing if you really like one of the entries tho I understand the desire to just really enjoy a game in a series and leave it at that

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Jun 16 at 4:48:04 AM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
You could play Breath Of The Wild and not have to play any other games forever

SW-6786-5095-2210

Jun 16 at 8:46:53 AM
Frenetic Zetetic (1)
< Little Mac >
New Hampshire
If you liked Link's Awakening, play A Link to The Past.

Jun 16 at 8:57:31 AM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
I can't even on this topic.

If you liked Link's Awakening try another one, any of them really. If you don't like it don't play it. I'm a huge fan of the series but there are some I don't really care for but the puzzle mechanics and the exploring mechanics are always top notch and different from game to to game. I would agree with BOTW being just the top tier game with A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time right below it.

Its your precious time on Earth though, I’m just saying you need to play each one to realize there is something unique about each even though the equation is really the same. Have you ever played more than one Mario game?

Edited: 06/16/2019 at 08:59 AM by a3quit4s

Jun 16 at 9:02:20 AM
yukfou (107)
(Great Dragon) < King Solomon >
Maryland
All Zelda's are not created equally. Go play botw to see how far Zelda has come since links Awakening. If you liked links Awakening so much, Oracle of seasons and Oracle of ages are like the sister games to that one.

My WTB thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jun 16 at 9:10:36 AM
Nintegrity (20)
(Nintendo Purist) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin
Everyone will have their favorite but remember not every zelda adventure is exactly alike!  

Jun 16 at 9:15:33 AM
LutherDestroysTheGond (85)
(Grumble Grumble) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Zelda 2 is my favorite game of all time and different from the others

Zelda 1 and BotW are the only 2 that are open-wprld. The rest are fairly linear.

The 4 swords games are fun but the hardware to set them up are too much of a barrier of entry for most.

Other than that the main difference is if you prefer 3D vs top-down and each game has it's own unique mechanic to make it different enough to enjoy. Except the 2 DS games. Those are garbage

WTB:
Mega Man X2 box & manual
Mega Man X3 manual
Zelda 2 Trash Can

Jun 16 at 10:13:48 AM
yukfou (107)
Maryland
Originally posted by: LutherDestroysTheGond

Zelda 1 and BotW are the only 2 that are open-wprld. The rest are fairly linear.

The 4 swords games are fun but the hardware to set them up are too much of a barrier of entry for most.

Other than that the main difference is if you prefer 3D vs top-down and each game has it's own unique mechanic to make it different enough to enjoy. Except the 2 DS games. Those are garbage

Interesting that you like Zelda 2 but not phantom hourglass. I thought phantom hourglass was good, not great. Never did play spirit tracks. What makes Zelda 2 your all time favorite game of any game?

My WTB thread

Jun 16 at 10:21:57 AM
VGS_OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
OptOut's terrible opinions, Number 887: Spirit Tracks is one of my favourite Zelda games, I actually prefer it to LTTP!  

www.videogamesage.com...

Jun 16 at 10:33:43 AM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Yes

Jun 16 at 10:43:04 AM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Not a fan of the DS games myself.

Jun 16 at 11:00:08 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: yukfou

Interesting that you like Zelda 2 but not phantom hourglass. I thought phantom hourglass was good, not great. Never did play spirit tracks. What makes Zelda 2 your all time favorite game of any game?

What a strange comparison to make.

Zelda 2, while unconventional compared to the other games, has tight button based controls, and every level is a new experience and layout.

Phantom Hourglass is an exercise in misery with horrendous controls and a repetitive main level that is repeated way too frequently.

If phantom Hourglass had better controls it might have been more fun. But other than "being different" from mainline games, there is no comparison to make with Zelda 2 (and when Zelda 2 was made it was its own thing with no real pressure to not try something new and different while they built the series -- it is only in retrospect that it seems out of place at all)

Jun 16 at 11:54:13 AM
GPX (1)

< Meka Chicken >
I think it's a fair call to the OP if you have limited time, then nothing wrong with trying different games/franchise. I particularly find I have no interest in RPGs these days simply because I don't have the time, what with work and family commitments etc.

The last Zelda I played and finished was Wind Waker on GameCube. Bloody good fun! Alas, no time to play out the modern versions of Zelda, apart from several hours of game time on Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass.

Though if you're genuinely a gamer and genuinely liking a game, the OP is basically saying "if I've played 1 Mario, Sonic, Grand Theft Auto, Devil May Cry, then I don't need to play any of the other prequels or sequels!"

That's like saying "all RPGs are the same anyway, so why play more than 1 RPG?"  

Jun 16 at 11:54:30 AM
yukfou (107)
Maryland
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: yukfou

What a strange comparison to make.

Zelda 2, while unconventional compared to the other games, has tight button based controls, and every level is a new experience and layout.

Phantom Hourglass is an exercise in misery with horrendous controls and a repetitive main level that is repeated way too frequently.

If phantom Hourglass had better controls it might have been more fun. But other than "being different" from mainline games, there is no comparison to make with Zelda 2 (and when Zelda 2 was made it was its own thing with no real pressure to not try something new and different while they built the series -- it is only in retrospect that it seems out of place at all)

Surprised there's so much hate for phantom hourglass. It really wasn't THAT bad. If you want real bad controls, try kid Icarus uprising on the 3ds.

And I was comparing his favorite to his least favorite. Not a weird comparison at all.

My WTB thread

Jun 16 at 1:46:06 PM
14u2ponder (1)

< Crack Trooper >
Originally posted by: GPX

I think it's a fair call to the OP if you have limited time, then nothing wrong with trying different games/franchise. I particularly find I have no interest in RPGs these days simply because I don't have the time, what with work and family commitments etc.

The last Zelda I played and finished was Wind Waker on GameCube. Bloody good fun! Alas, no time to play out the modern versions of Zelda, apart from several hours of game time on Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass.

Though if you're genuinely a gamer and genuinely liking a game, the OP is basically saying "if I've played 1 Mario, Sonic, Grand Theft Auto, Devil May Cry, then I don't need to play any of the other prequels or sequels!"

That's like saying "all RPGs are the same anyway, so why play more than 1 RPG?"  
Many of them are to me. If people are honest, BOTW is the same zelda formula, but in 3d and expansive. Mario is a little different for me, because with platformers, pretty much everything is different. The level designs and the mechanics can have a drastic affect on game play, so I'm not bored. But zelda and many rpgs are just very silimar. Zelda you basically look for keys defeat enemies, find the nightmare key, rince and repeat. Sure the puzzles are different, but not drastically. Zelda has a great formula, but once you play one version of that formula you've played them all.
That is why I am more interested in playing Adventures of Link, since it devianted from that formula.

Jun 16 at 1:50:44 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I feel like this is a troll thread.

Jun 16 at 2:36:18 PM
romiked2689 (60)
< Lolo Lord >
Maryland
Originally posted by: OptOut

Haha so true I started with ocarina which some consider the best! I’ve since finished a link to the past and I’m in the last dungeon on the first nes game id go so far to say all Zelda games should at least once 

Jun 16 at 3:44:40 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Originally posted by: Gloves

I started thinking the same thing after I posted. The "re-hashing the same formula over and over again" line is basically a satire of any game that there is more than one of in a series lol

Jun 16 at 3:47:20 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: a3quit4s

Originally posted by: Gloves

I started thinking the same thing after I posted. The "re-hashing the same formula over and over again" line is basically a satire of any game that there is more than one of in a series lol

Why would I play Street Fighter 5 if I've already played the original Mortal Kombat on SNES? Talk about a rehash!