Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

3 Screw Stinger... Mystery Solved?

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:55:28 PM
TENGEN (177)
(DK ) < King Solomon >
New York
Ok, so I was able to snag a 3 screw Stinger cart in a BIN on Ebay in December and I started researching the history of it.

in the earlier days of NA people were saying it didn't exist. Later people began to think that the few copies that have surfaced were factory errors.

Some were saying they've never seen a Non-Hangtab Stinger box, which would presumably be the missing link - as long as it said REV-A.

We even have Braveheart - whom I feel is the expert on just about everything NES - saying that a non-hangtab Stinger box didn't exist less than a year ago.

I knew I sold (yes, SOLD!) a Stinger box a few years ago and digging though my pictures I found it...Here you go, the REV-A Non-Hangtab Stinger Box:

Here is the cart I currently have if that is of any interest:

Someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to conclusively say that this proves that 3 screw Stinger is not a mismatch or fake.

Ferris Bueller wrote an article about this in last month's E-zine, which is what got me thinking about this actually. 

Anyways...thoughts?

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:17:43 AM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
looks pretty legit. that's fantastic.

-------------------------
ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:29:12 AM
Nes Gangsta (90)
< Meka Chicken >
New York
Always thought that box existed otherwise why would there be 3 screw carts.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:40:11 AM
batteriesnotincluded (19)
(Devil S. Advocate) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Any idea how many of these 3 screw Stinger variants are out there? If it was a factory error the window coudn't have been more than days? Weeks?

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:13:18 AM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
That is awesome to see. One of the fun things with NES and with NA is finding things almost thirty years later that are essentially "new" to our database of collective knowledge. Thanks very much for digging to find this and post. Very cool!

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:22:16 AM
NintendoTwizer (172)
(Aaron N) < King Solomon >
Wyoming
It's in beautiful shape as well. Awesome piece!

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:40:43 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Braveheart69

That is awesome to see. One of the fun things with NES and with NA is finding things almost thirty years later that are essentially "new" to our database of collective knowledge. Thanks very much for digging to find this and post. Very cool!
Yes, I totally agree with this as well.  

It is really exciting to see new items still being discovered even after all of these years.  

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:48:08 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Colorado
Awesome box pics. The hunt is on!

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:12:30 AM
krankcolc (286)
(Arcade Legacy) < Lolo Lord >
Ohio
Awesome! Something new to look for.

WTB list. Less than 1% to a CIB NES collection. http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:12:46 AM
Professor Finn (2)
(Bilbo Baggins) < El Ripper >
Arizona
No the question is can you buy the box back?

NES 517/786 | SNES 353/726
VB 13/14N64 290/296  
GC 277/572 |Wii 306/1260?
Wii U 23/198?
Check out my collection: http://nintendoage.com/index.cfm?...

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:10:34 AM
jfreakofkorn (23)
< King Solomon >
United States
neat set, that is for sure =0)

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:12:26 AM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
That looks great.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:25:11 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Sweet, now why did you sell that box

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:14:10 AM
arnpoly (110)
(Aaron ) < King Solomon >
Illinois
Wow, that's super cool!

Take On The NES Library!
NES Games Finished: 136
--------------------------------------------------
Next Game: #137 - Shadowgate
Latest Post - 10/11/19 - #130 - Bad Street Brawler
--------------------------------------------------
Website | NA Thread | YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:38:05 AM
TENGEN (177)
(DK ) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: Professor Finn

No the question is can you buy the box back?

I have since contacted the buyer and made a generous offer. But, understandably, they are going to hold onto it.

Originally posted by: jonebone

Sweet, now why did you sell that box

I had no idea what I had. At that point in my collecting life you could have told me that all Stingers were non-HT and I would have believed you. 

The reason I sold it was I didn't like the paint missing from the front. Derp.

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:25:18 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Great, now the price of three screw non-hangtab Stingers are going to go through the roof.

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:48:36 AM
NintenDarr (11)
(Ryan ) < El Ripper >
Connecticut
I know this is probably not the place for it but I have just started getting into NES CIB and variants. A Hangtab box indicates the game that came with it was a 5 screw, correct? What does the Rev-A marking mean?

Got hangtab black boxes in nice condition? PM me!

https://www.twitch.tv/grind_y0ur_...
Come watch and follow the channel! Much appreciated!

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:58:04 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
Colorado
Originally posted by: NintenDarr

I know this is probably not the place for it but I have just started getting into NES CIB and variants. A Hangtab box indicates the game that came with it was a 5 screw, correct? What does the Rev-A marking mean?
No, not necessarily.  There are 65 hangtab boxes and about 85 5 screw games.  Hangtab box production ended about 3 months before 5 screw game production switched to 3 screws.  Rev-A denotes the change to 3 screw games, but you will find some instances where the contents are the opposite of what the box says, as Nintendo used up leftover parts during the overlap periods.

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:21:31 PM
NintenDarr (11)
(Ryan ) < El Ripper >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: K.Thrower

No, not necessarily.  There are 65 hangtab boxes and about 85 5 screw games.  Hangtab box production ended about 3 months before 5 screw game production switched to 3 screws.  Rev-A denotes the change to 3 screw games, but you will find some instances where the contents are the opposite of what the box says, as Nintendo used up leftover parts during the overlap periods.

I see. Very useful info. Thank you. So Rev-A should not be printed on any 5 screw carts then? For some reason I feel like I have some 5 screw games with Rev-A printed on the back. Sorry again for the painfully noobish questions, I am just starting to delve into the variant NES collection world.

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:23:10 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland

Well his statement is true... hangtab box = 5 screw cart.  It is just that the opposite is not true, as some 5 screw carts do not have confirmed hangtab boxes (like Zelda.)

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:23:47 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
Colorado

I see. Very useful info. Thank you. So Rev-A should not be printed on any 5 screw carts then? For some reason I feel like I have some 5 screw games with Rev-A printed on the back. Sorry again for the painfully noobish questions, I am just starting to delve into the variant NES collection world.

Yes it shouldn't, and most times will not be.  I have a few though myself.  Again, just leftover parts use that makes things confusing.  

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:31:24 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
Colorado
Originally posted by: jonebone

Well his statement is true... hangtab box = 5 screw cart.  It is just that the opposite is not true, as some 5 screw carts do not have confirmed hangtab boxes (like Zelda.)
Zelda is an anomoly though (like Arkanoid) because it uses a unique die for the box with the cutout in the front.  I'm sure Nintendo knew they would be phasing out the hangtab, so when this die was created, the hangtab was left off.  Maybe they felt the game would be good enough to be reprinted later and didn't want to have multiple dies used for one title.  Just an educated guess though.

But to clarify: All 65 hangtab boxes came with 5 screw carts originally.  After hangtab box production ended, about 20 more 5 screw games were relased with non-hangtab boxes.

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:45:56 PM
NintenDarr (11)
(Ryan ) < El Ripper >
Connecticut
Thanks for all the info guys. So a 5 screw with a Rev-A marking is basically either a misprint but most likely just leftover pieces to complete carts. Those extra pieces I'm assuming are just the back labels? I guess I just don't understand how a 3 screw can be made into a 5 screw without literally modifying the cart itself to have 2 extra screw holes. Unless they just threw new labels onto older 3 screw carts and swapped boards? Again, if this is all posted somewhere please let me know. I don't wanna keep asking these noob questions here and waste people's time.

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:27:29 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
Colorado

Thanks for all the info guys. So a 5 screw with a Rev-A marking is basically either a misprint but most likely just leftover pieces to complete carts. Those extra pieces I'm assuming are just the back labels? I guess I just don't understand how a 3 screw can be made into a 5 screw without literally modifying the cart itself to have 2 extra screw holes. Unless they just threw new labels onto older 3 screw carts and swapped boards? Again, if this is all posted somewhere please let me know. I don't wanna keep asking these noob questions here and waste people's time.

It's just the stickers that were mismatched.  That's how you would know it was a factory mismatch, because the 3 screw and 5 screw cart shells are different.  

So if you have a 5 screw back with a Rev-A sticker, it is a factory mismatch from using leftover parts.  On the otherhand, I have a 3 screw cart with a non-Rev-A sticker too.  But you'll see these aren't the norm, and are harder to come by.

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Apr 10, 2015 at 7:09:27 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
There are also some Black Box variants that just make no sense at all as well. I chalk that up to just being sooooo early in the production life that they didn't know what they were going to go with.

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4