Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Zelda: Ocarina of Time CE ... reseal ??? Help me out here..

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:15:11 PM
LucioNintendo (23)
(Lucio Barbarino) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Hey guys so I just picked up a "sealed" copy of OOT CE. I paid the amount I piad assuming it was a reseal, and I am fairly certain it is, but I just wanted to throw out a description to make absolutely sure. Let me know if you want pics, but hopefully it won't really be necessary.

1) There are seams ONLY on the left, top, and bottom sides of the seal. No seams on the back, front, or right side of the box.

2) Box is in verrry nice shape, just a few corners have very minor damage. I can't seem to tell 100% if the damage is below the plastic.

Not really sure what else I can say, I think the locations of the seams should be enough for you guys to help me out. I know this game has a couple seal variations so want to make absolutely sure before I open it up, if I decide to. That's another question actually.. even if this is a reseal, would you go ahead and open it up to make sure it's complete or just leave it as is? It sounds complete, haha, when I tilt the box gently around.

Thanks guys!

-------------------------
Listen to my NES-style chiptune soundtrack Visions of the Three!!
——> apebit.bandcamp.com < —— 

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:18:22 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Pics would be the easiest way to tell

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:34:51 PM
LucioNintendo (23)
United States

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:36:19 PM
LucioNintendo (23)
United States

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:38:20 PM
LucioNintendo (23)
United States

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:56:59 PM
blarky (37)
(b0rk b0rk) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
This game is notorious for having at least 3 different factory seal variants. I wasn't sure until the last picture you posted, but given all the pictures I see, I would lean towards reseal. But I could be wrong.

Nov 17, 2010 at 8:08:11 PM
Berserker (41)
(< • • ll Andrew O. ll • • >) < Kraid Killer >
New Hampshire
I agree with blarky. Judging by the sides, especially that first pic. But I'm no expert.

Nov 17, 2010 at 8:18:28 PM
Drippy (87)
< Kraid Killer >
United States
The first and second picture are making me lean towards reseal. They don't look all that great. I'm no expert on sealed games, but those pictures make me have suspicions.

Nov 17, 2010 at 8:28:29 PM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States

There are 3 seam styles for this game. First is the standard vertical seam. Second is the overlapping seam on the back with a large (hole-punch size) venthole on the front. The third style has 3 seams on 3 sides of the box, exactly like this one.

Does the wrap have ventholes? Can you take pictures of both flap hinges? Without a definable flap-crease, I'm going with legit. I've seen it like this a dozen times.

Edit: The same goes for Majora's Mask

Edited: 11/17/2010 at 08:59 PM by MoeDown

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:13:09 PM
LucioNintendo (23)
United States
Hey guys, thanks everyone for the help so far. So here's a few more details.

1) I tried to take pictures of the flap but they didn't come out well. Each flap does have a verrryy light white crease. They are very light, as in they didn't come out in the pictures and i have to hold the box very steady in the right light to see them. They are slightly more visible on the back areas of the crease. Could these just be creases which occurred from the actual first folding of the bx at the factory?

2) I searched but no vent-holes to be found. Does that automatically mean reseal?

3) Box is in SUPER shape, this would be a damn MINTY CIB.

4) No flakes/debris under plastic I can see

5) Corners have a tiniest bit of wear, like it could almost just be wear from the folds themselves

6) Hey Moedown, thanks for your input. I have also heard of the 3 side seam variation. The one place I read about though (don't remember where) I believe it said the seams are on the tp, bottom, and RIGHT side, not left. Which one is it? Could it be either?

7) When I tilt the box, I hear some pretty substantial weight slide over, say 1 inch or so and hit the side. It seems like most of the box contents are sliding, but I cant be absolutely sure. Would this help determine anything?

Hmm, that's about all the details I can give I think, aside from just ripping the damn thing open. Haha. Thanks again guys!

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:28:08 PM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: lucbar1980

1) I tried to take pictures of the flap but they didn't come out well. Each flap does have a verrryy light white crease. They are very light, as in they didn't come out in the pictures and i have to hold the box very steady in the right light to see them. They are slightly more visible on the back areas of the crease. Could these just be creases which occurred from the actual first folding of the bx at the factory?

2) I searched but no vent-holes to be found. Does that automatically mean reseal?

5) Corners have a tiniest bit of wear, like it could almost just be wear from the folds themselves

6) Hey Moedown, thanks for your input. I have also heard of the 3 side seam variation. The one place I read about though (don't remember where) I believe it said the seams are on the tp, bottom, and RIGHT side, not left. Which one is it? Could it be either?

7) When I tilt the box, I hear some pretty substantial weight slide over, say 1 inch or so and hit the side. It seems like most of the box contents are sliding, but I cant be absolutely sure. Would this help determine anything?

Hmm, that's about all the details I can give I think, aside from just ripping the damn thing open. Haha. Thanks again guys!

Yup. reseal. I'm sorry if I got your hopes up.

Edited: 11/17/2010 at 09:30 PM by MoeDown

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:51:10 PM
LucioNintendo (23)
United States
Originally posted by: MoeDown

Yup. reseal. I'm sorry if I got your hopes up.

JERK! haha just kiddin man. Thanks for your help. I really figured it was, but I was hoping, no doubt about about that. Just t be sure though, where WOULD the vent-holes be? I imagine they're the same as NES vent-holes, and should be pretty obvious after close inspection? So, if this is indeed a reseal, would you open it just to make sure it is CIB?

Nov 17, 2010 at 10:04:05 PM
aleckermit (34)
(The OoT Guy) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
There would be 2 vertical rows of really small vent holes on the front (at least that's what my Majora's Mask has).

N64 NFR set completed:

http://www.nintendoage.com/index....

Need these items: Ocarina of Time Gold NFR (just has NFR sticker on backside), Ocarina of Time 3D E3 NFR.

http://www.youtube.com/aleckermit...

Edited: 11/17/2010 at 10:06 PM by aleckermit

Nov 17, 2010 at 10:39:18 PM
ThatNintendoGuy (47)
(Jason B) < El Ripper >
Michigan
Thats an reseal open er up!

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:56:21 AM
LucioNintendo (23)
United States
Sorry .. haha .. so to be absolutely sure I can go ahead and open this sucker up??

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:01:05 AM
sadikyo (89)
(Sadik Yo) < King Solomon >
United States
Just make sure you check really closely for those ventholes - they are very small. I had a sealed copy that everyone told me was a reseal, but upon further research, I found it was legitimate. Mine looked almost exactly like yours, except the seal was "tighter" on the ends, and there were definitely a bunch of really small vent holes.

Hello!  I want your "ATLUS" stuff!  Please see my list or send me a PM if you have cool ATLUS stuff!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:05:15 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
That's definitely close, but the left seam does look suspicious. And if there's the whitening you mentioned, then its a reseal.

I'll have to double check some of my games, but the 3 sided N64 seal is more common than most people think. I'm pretty sure I have some legit games with the 3 sided (top / left / bottom) seal, only leaving the right (red side) blank.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:19:46 AM
LucioNintendo (23)
United States
Thanks Jonebone, if you could check that'd be cool. Yeah I'm at work, but I looked pretty damn thoroughly and I didn't see any vent holes. If there are indeed zero vent-holes, does that 100% mean reseal?

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:38:48 PM
projectingstars (95)
(S. K.) < King Solomon >
Washington
Looks like a reseal to me. True, there were 64 games sealed similar to this, but the wrap on this copy is way too loose and homemade looking. Also, you mentioned very light white on the opening flaps, which further leads me to think this is a reseal.

"Absurdity is what I like most in life, and there's humor in struggling in ignorance. If you saw a man repeatedly running into a wall until he was a bloody pulp, after a while it would make you laugh because it becomes absurd".

-David Lynch

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:48:56 PM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States

If there are indeed zero vent-holes, does that 100% mean reseal?

With NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, GBA and VB ...... yes. They have to have ventholes. The white crease lines are the give away that the flaps have been opened. How long ago did you buy it and can you get your money back? Or, if you're not into it for an amount more than CIB prices, I say open it up. Verification of contents is not as important to me as removing fakes from the market. The few reseals I've purchased over the last few years, I opened and sold as CIBs.

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:24:51 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: MoeDown

If there are indeed zero vent-holes, does that 100% mean reseal?

With NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC, GBA and VB ...... yes. They have to have ventholes. The white crease lines are the give away that the flaps have been opened. How long ago did you buy it and can you get your money back? Or, if you're not into it for an amount more than CIB prices, I say open it up. Verification of contents is not as important to me as removing fakes from the market. The few reseals I've purchased over the last few years, I opened and sold as CIBs.

I'm still out to lunch on whether or not all the N64 sealed games have to have factory vent holes.  I'd say that the overwhelming majority do, but Superman has caused me some confusion.  I won one for cheap ($10) and when it arrived, the seal looked odd and had no factory vent holes.  So I took the expert advice and returned it, seller was cool about it.

Then I won another one for cheap from a separate seller a month later, it arrived with the same exact seal and no factory vent holes.  Needless to say, I kept this one.  I doubt that there's some conspiracy to mass produce fake sealed copies of a cheap game, but I dunno. 

Either way, back to the topic, I took some pictures of various N64 seals.

Seam on three sides, only missing on left (yellow) side:

Seam on three sides, only missing on right (red) side:

Seam on three sides, only missing at top (purple) side:

But unfortunately, all 3 of these games do have some vent holes and none of them have whitening at the edges as your copy does.  So ultimately, I have to agree that you do have a reseal.

But in general, N64 sealed collecting is a pain in the ass.  I'm a CIB guy, but when I stumble into sealeds for cheap, I grab them.  It has helped me learn alot along the way.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:38:18 PM
MoeDown (72)
(big hed) < El Ripper >
United States
^ Great pics. That's very interesting about the Superman. I have never owned one personally. I would be interested in further confirmation and if there are any other titles like that. There are some anomalies in sealed GBA games too, but nothing compared to the strange world of N64.

I hold out for games with vertical seams when it comes to the 64. Because of that, my 64 collection is the smallest out of all the systems I collect.

Edited: 11/18/2010 at 06:39 PM by MoeDown

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:04:52 PM
tuxedocivic (94)
(Ryan Bouma) < Ridley Wrangler >
British Columbia
Sweet Jone. Good documentation. Thanks.

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:37:21 PM
LucioNintendo (23)
United States
Hey guys, confirmed that mine was a reseal. I opened it up and there was obvious wear, etc.