NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What does the internet think of Nintendo Age

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:13:13 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: mattbep

Lax on unreleased and hacked stuff, things that are not a risk of being pawned off as legit. You should know this by now.
It seems like you misread my reply.

-------------------------

Edited: 02/15/2017 at 02:14 PM by arch_8ngel

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:17:11 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: Gentlegamer

Originally posted by: jonebone

Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

The gamefaqs one surprised me, all the replies seemed pretty level headed. That OP was a clown though
Well, no surprise, the OP is a banned member from here, just a troll who wanted to sell illegal repros for money.

All "repros" are illegal bootlegs, which are allowed to be sold and often promoted by NA itself.

Nice horse you have there. Very tall. 
He's making a valid point.

We (NAge) are pretty lax about repro selling, in general, so to make a statement about the issue with the guy was selling "illegal repros for money" is going to sound hypocritical on its face.

I don't recall the specific issue, but typically, we crack down on repros of released games (i.e. intended forgeries, or otherwise), but leave unreleased or out-of-region stuff alone, for the most part.

The point is, there is nuance to that aspect of the hobby that was lost in Jonas' blanket remark, making an easy target for Gentlegamer's (valid) retort.

It's not high-horsing, IMO. 
It's pointing out a potentially hypocritical statement from a mod that probably called for more subtly in the first place.

For 1, as flattering as it my be, I am not NintendoAge.  I am an individual who volunteers some time to help out on the forums.  I never have and never will speak on NintendoAge's behalf, I will speak of my own volition.  

Point 2, I don't own any reproductions whatsoever and I don't collect them at all.  You will never see me posting in the what is / what isn't a repro arguments because I don't care.  Not caring is not the same as condoning either, just FYI.

Point 3, when I state repros I was implying "1 of 1 repros of released games".  I thought the context of that was clear in my post, apparently common sense isn't so common.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:18:28 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Yep.

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:28:42 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

For 1, as flattering as it my be, I am not NintendoAge.  I am an individual who volunteers some time to help out on the forums.  I never have and never will speak on NintendoAge's behalf, I will speak of my own volition.  

Point 2, I don't own any reproductions whatsoever and I don't collect them at all.  You will never see me posting in the what is / what isn't a repro arguments because I don't care.  Not caring is not the same as condoning either, just FYI.

Point 3, when I state repros I was implying "1 of 1 repros of released games".  I thought the context of that was clear in my post, apparently common sense isn't so common.

To Point 1 -- to MOST people, somebody wearing the mod badge implies that certain statements they make are going to be aligned with the official views of the site.

You don't really get to disconnect yourself from that badge, for the time that you're wearing it.
(maybe this is just a lesson in choosing your words more carefully, since they do reflect on the site differently than when somebody else posts them)

To Point 3 -- while I obviously knew you were referring to counterfeits, because that is generally the only bannable offense related to repros, again, to MOST people, that is not what "repro" generally implies.
(which is why Gentlegamer's remark to your lack of clarity was a valid jab)

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:31:00 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Yep.
Do you guys not get some kind of quick talk when you get a mod badge that you can't just post the way you used to anymore because people view moderators as a sort of official extension of whatever forum they are on?

(though I guess we've put up with some pretty unruly mods in the past that didn't set a particularly strong precedent  )

Edited: 02/15/2017 at 02:33 PM by arch_8ngel

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:32:23 PM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
If somebody wants to sell 1:1 repros of licensed games, there's plenty of scummy Facebook groups they can do it on. And there's places like AliExpress. Whatever.

It's not at all hypocritical for NA to decide on rules and draw a line. That's what forum communities do.
If somebody joins this website, they need to adhere to those rules, not hop on a high horse and call the entire userbase hypocrites.

Some members here do sell repros of unlicensed/unreleased games, and a few non-1:1 repros of extremely rare games. But I don't think they are as popular today as they were in 2012. Seems like more folks are happier with an Everdrive these days.

Instagram
Wishlist

Edited: 02/15/2017 at 02:33 PM by NickTLG

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:35:20 PM
mattbep (107)
Pennsylvania
We all know the rules. We all know what Jonas meant. GG's comment was meant to irk and annoy, it didn't need defended.

I see nothing wrong with what Jonas or I have said here, but I am of course biased. If another mod or admin sees something we are doing wrong, they'll let us know. But thank you for your input.

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:37:51 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

We all know the rules. We all know what Jonas meant. GG's comment was meant to irk and annoy, it didn't need defended.

I see nothing wrong with what Jonas or I have said here, but I am of course biased. If another mod or admin sees something we are doing wrong, they'll let us know. But thank you for your input.
I'll be sure and let you know, too  

No reason to let you guys have all the fun behind closed doors, when a mod occassionally needs an ass chewing  

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:38:51 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio

No reason to let you guys have all the fun behind closed doors, when a mod occassionally needs an ass chewing  

If they do, it'll be an admin or Dain doing it; not you or any other standard member.

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:39:33 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland

To Point 1 -- to MOST people, somebody wearing the mod badge implies that certain statements they make are going to be aligned with the official views of the site.

You don't really get to disconnect yourself from that badge, for the time that you're wearing it.
(maybe this is just a lesson in choosing your words more carefully, since they do reflect on the site differently than when somebody else posts them)

To Point 3 -- while I obviously knew you were referring to counterfeits, because that is generally the only bannable offense related to repros, again, to MOST people, that is not what "repro" generally implies.
(which is why Gentlegamer's remark to your lack of clarity was a valid jab)

I'm aware of how to do my job, but thanks.  Yes, I do choose my words wisely and take the "politically correct" approach even when I'd really like to speak my mind sometimes.  

If there are any official NA policies regarding any situation, they will be documented within the FAQ or a PSA for all to hear.  Otherwise, mods are not robots and are entitled to their opinions as anyone else.  No one needs to overthink it.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:42:06 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

If they do, it'll be an admin or Dain doing it; not you or any other standard member.

Depends on how it all goes down.

I'm at a loss for specifics, but I know there have been times that "standard members", as you choose to put it, needed to remind a mod to behave better.

Maybe the days of mods behaving like that are totally behind us though.  Who knows.  

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:43:22 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota

Do you guys not get some kind of quick talk when you get a mod badge that you can't just post the way you used to anymore because people view moderators as a sort of official extension of whatever forum they are on?

(though I guess we've put up with some pretty unruly mods in the past that didn't set a particularly strong precedent  )
No they don't. They are told that they are expected to follow the rules.  There isn't a rule against having a mind of your own.  Moderators are absolutely allowed and encouraged to have their own opinions. 

If they are speaking to a specific rule, then yes they should be on the same page as the site.  Otherwise they are regular people free to use the forum just like anyone else. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:51:37 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: B.A.

No they don't. They are told that they are expected to follow the rules.  There isn't a rule against having a mind of your own.  Moderators are absolutely allowed and encouraged to have their own opinions. 

If they are speaking to a specific rule, then yes they should be on the same page as the site.  Otherwise they are regular people free to use the forum just like anyone else. 

I think the back-and-forth upthread sort of muddies the water on that, since the post in question was referring to a banning.

Anyway, I don't really care what mods say, individually, as long as they're subject to the same criticism from other members as anybody else.
(though, again, just wearing the mod badge makes some people feel less willing to go toe-to-toe, so it isn't always a fair fight)

It was more that I thought Gentlegamer's jab about the specific words chosen for the other comment wasn't a matter of him being on a "high horse" on this issue.
Rather he was making a different sort of jab about a mod's word choice on a banning.  (though I could have misunderstood his intentions)

Edited: 02/15/2017 at 02:57 PM by arch_8ngel

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:59:44 PM
mattbep (107)
Pennsylvania
"High horse" had the right feeling, maybe I was looking for another phrase.

Oh well, no big deal. Let's continue talking about why most of the internet hates NA.

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:01:31 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Oh well, no big deal. Let's continue talking about why most of the internet hates NA.

I'd like to think I do my part to make sure that any excuse they're making about mods being unable to take criticism is obviously BS.    

But to the topic, I think it's a bit sad and unfortunate that the handful of people that genuinely don't like the forum expend so much apparent energy on it.
I'm sure there is a much larger group of people that have never been here and never met us that "don't like NAge" by extension of having heard it maligned by those few vocal banned members.

Then again, I guess that's pretty much the nature of any hero-villain myth, where one creates the other, right?  

Edited: 02/15/2017 at 03:04 PM by arch_8ngel

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:04:06 PM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan

I'd like to think I do my part to make sure that any excuse they're making about mods being unable to take criticism is obviously BS.    

I'd say with 30k posts and counting you're definitely doing your part in vocalizing that haha  

Haves     |     Wants

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:28:31 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio

Depends on how it all goes down.

I'm at a loss for specifics, but I know there have been times that "standard members", as you choose to put it, needed to remind a mod to behave better.

Maybe the days of mods behaving like that are totally behind us though.  Who knows.  

Could very well be; I've only been a mod since 2011 so it may have been a different time before then.   While we're not immune to constructive criticism, if a correction needs to take place a member should take it up with an admin, not directly with the mod is more of the point I'm trying to make.

B.A. has pretty much covered that anyway.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:08:05 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina

There have been plenty of ass chewings (from me to mods) and plenty of crow eatings (by me, after the mods showed me how wrong I was) to follow. More often than not, when I confront a mod or admin about something I didn't agree with, there's typically a very good reason for the action chosen. I feel compelled to defend the mods and admins here because without them, the site would be long gone. I can't run the site without their help, and they are, after all, human. The FAQ, Terms of Service and Privacy Policy each represent the different views of NintendoAge. I represent the views of NintendoAge. Mods and admins, when they voice their opinions, are representing themselves. For this reason the site is not liable for what a mod says. A mod, however, may be held liable for what a mod says. We have no morality clause and don't really want one. If a mod opines in a way that is counter to the official NA views, they're owning that view. Will it have consequences on staying a mod/admin? It might, it might not, but we've asked mods to step down before and I'm sure it'll happen again in the future. We all make mistakes, but I would suggest that mods/admins are overwhelmingly a positive to the site.

Back to the OP: people critical of NA can go elsewhere; the internet is huge and there are plenty of places to hang your hats. If this isn't your cup of tea, so be it, but don't ruin it for everyone else. The internet is full of hostility everywhere you look and I'd say that NA is actually one of the least hostile places I personally visit (been on FB or Twitter lately? I rest my case). I think people derive enjoyment in cutting down others, and when you cut down NintendoAge, you're cutting me down, personally. I take it very personally. I always have and always will. That's what I explained to Pat last time we spoke on the phone after his CU Podcast was very critical of NA, that his remarks toward NA only caused ME personal harm, because it was ME who had to spend days fighting off all the hack attacks his listeners sprang on me. Thankfully he followed up with a comment asking his users to stop trying to take down NA. The vitriol everywhere is shocking. People thinks it's OK to ruin things they don't like or agree with. So one mod on NA said something you didn't agree, so now it's OK to unleash a hate storm on the site?

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:47:54 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Dain

. The internet is full of hostility everywhere you look and I'd say that NA is actually one of the least hostile places I personally visit (been on FB or Twitter lately? I rest my case). I think people derive enjoyment in cutting down others, and when you cut down NintendoAge, you're cutting me down, personally. I take it very personally. I always have and always will. That's what I explained to Pat last time we spoke on the phone after his CU Podcast was very critical of NA, that his remarks toward NA only caused ME personal harm, because it was ME who had to spend days fighting off all the hack attacks his listeners sprang on me. Thankfully he followed up with a comment asking his users to stop trying to take down NA. The vitriol everywhere is shocking. People thinks it's OK to ruin things they don't like or agree with. So one mod on NA said something you didn't agree, so now it's OK to unleash a hate storm on the site?

Definitely one of the nice things about NA is that even when it gets nasty, it is relatively benign, and nothing like the shitshow you see in other settings.

That really sucks about dealing with hacking blowback from careless commentary elsewhere...

But I have to assume that these were amateurs, not some shop of pros hidden in an office building in Shanghai, so were you able to at least deal with any of them through legal channels, to make them all think twice in the future?

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:33:22 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia

There have been plenty of ass chewings (from me to mods) and plenty of crow eatings (by me, after the mods showed me how wrong I was) to follow. More often than not, when I confront a mod or admin about something I didn't agree with, there's typically a very good reason for the action chosen. I feel compelled to defend the mods and admins here because without them, the site would be long gone. I can't run the site without their help, and they are, after all, human. The FAQ, Terms of Service and Privacy Policy each represent the different views of NintendoAge. I represent the views of NintendoAge. Mods and admins, when they voice their opinions, are representing themselves. For this reason the site is not liable for what a mod says. A mod, however, may be held liable for what a mod says. We have no morality clause and don't really want one. If a mod opines in a way that is counter to the official NA views, they're owning that view. Will it have consequences on staying a mod/admin? It might, it might not, but we've asked mods to step down before and I'm sure it'll happen again in the future. We all make mistakes, but I would suggest that mods/admins are overwhelmingly a positive to the site.

Back to the OP: people critical of NA can go elsewhere; the internet is huge and there are plenty of places to hang your hats. If this isn't your cup of tea, so be it, but don't ruin it for everyone else. The internet is full of hostility everywhere you look and I'd say that NA is actually one of the least hostile places I personally visit (been on FB or Twitter lately? I rest my case). I think people derive enjoyment in cutting down others, and when you cut down NintendoAge, you're cutting me down, personally. I take it very personally. I always have and always will. That's what I explained to Pat last time we spoke on the phone after his CU Podcast was very critical of NA, that his remarks toward NA only caused ME personal harm, because it was ME who had to spend days fighting off all the hack attacks his listeners sprang on me. Thankfully he followed up with a comment asking his users to stop trying to take down NA. The vitriol everywhere is shocking. People thinks it's OK to ruin things they don't like or agree with. So one mod on NA said something you didn't agree, so now it's OK to unleash a hate storm on the site?

I just wanted to say Thank you. Thanks Dain for putting this website together and running it so smoothly.

The mods DO do a great job of curtailing any nasty comments and it makes this place a fun/safe place to be.

I'm happy that yourself and Pat have a good enough relationship and you can explain to him the effect his comments have.

I don't want to shit talk anyone, but when I hear negative things about NA I feel compelled to defend the site. Maybe that's overstepping my boundaries, but this place is awesome and it sucks when people get fed so much misinformation and take other people's opinions as facts.

I will make sure any comments going forward are not nasty and are simply fact driven.

As others have said, it doesn't behoove us to be in a pissing match with Pat, so I'm happy Dain talked to him.

NA is a great place to be. Thanks to Dain and the mods who keep it running so smooth. I'll be happy to donate again to keep this place ad free and make sure you guys have all the resources you need to run the site.

Think about THAT. Ad free....? That's amazing! What other forum website even has that??? ANY? Seriously... This place is the bees knees.

I'm sorry if I've overstepped my boundaries defending the site... but I love this place. I'm just a tiny, miniscule, minute, barely even part of it, but I love being here.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:51:46 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario

Is this directed at me? Or a response to the general topic of the thread?
Because I wasn't trying to attack you or the site Dain. And I certainty don't get a kick out of cutting folks down, never have. I think everyone knows that. My intentions for this thread was more of a surprise reaction that there was so much anger out there towards this community (which I enjoy) over a lot of stupid reasons (which I found some folks ignorance some what funny). I was hoping for a more constructive thread since I noticed NA rarely bashes other places or people on the web.

Playas Guide Logo

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:00:13 PM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: ne$_pimp

Because I wasn't trying to attack you or the site Dain. And I certainty don't get a kick out of cutting folks down, never have. I think everyone knows that. My intentions for this thread was more of a surprise reaction that there was so much anger out there towards this community (which I enjoy) over a lot of stupid reasons (which I found some folks ignorance some what funny). I was hoping for a more constructive thread since I noticed NA rarely bashes other places or people on the web.
I don't want to speak for him, but i think he definitely is not directing this towards you at all. But more towards the people constantly want to spew hate and tear this place down for whatever reason. 

I will say to add, i definitely do appreciate how neat and tidy the mods keep this place. It is a great place to be a part of, the best IMO, and i would never try to say they are not a huge part of why this place is so great. So i am sorry if my isolated incident remarks on specific instances with a mod have hurt anyone here. That wasn't my intention. 

gamevaluenow

Feb 18, 2017 at 4:05:51 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: ne$_pimp

It's a response to the people in the links you posted. This has nothing to do with you, mang  

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:20:03 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario

Playas Guide Logo

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:20:48 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario

Playas Guide Logo