Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Zombies Ate My Neighbors -- one of the hardest SNES games ever?

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:43:15 PM
AlexKunio (24)
(Alex Ryan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Super Slash
It is actually possible to save that victim through a glitch. Awesome speedrun though, 2:17 is incredible.

I remember having to lead some zombies over to some of the neighbors to prevent more from spawning right next to them by having a certain number on the screen at once.  Is this the glitch you mean?

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:34:41 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
It's a great game, but what I hate the most is when people think it's a Konami game. No, ZAMN is a LucasArts game! Bow down before the glory of LucasArts. They also made Ghoul Patrol and Metal Warriors.

To the people here disappointed with Ghoul Patrol, try out Herc's Adventures for Saturn/PS1. It might not be the same theme (greek mythology now), but it has plenty of twists and uses the same engine as ZAMN/Ghoul Patrol. It also has two player co-op.

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:12:29 PM
zeldaboy (162)
(Andrew DeRouin) < King Solomon >
Florida
Originally posted by: Rooster

Originally posted by: zeldaboy

Enjoyed this game too but also never completed it. Super Smash TV comes to mind as well, played the heck out of that game with various friends and we did get pretty far...but could never beat it

Super Smash TV is a difficult game, but I'm not sure if it's quite as difficult as zombies ate my neighbors.

Oh I wasn't necessarily saying one was harder than the other, just memorable in that they were both games played with friends that we could not complete. I actually remember finally realizing you could hold the buttons down in Super Smash TV to continually fire...I played for a while rapid firing the buttons in all crazy directions - totally kills the fingers! Felt so dumb =p

-------------------------

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:23:48 PM
GhostNinja (28)
(Josh B.) < El Ripper >
United Kingdom
I've made it to the 40s in Zombies but I've never beaten it. It's one of my favourite SNES games though, so I always give it a go with a friend once or twice a year.

As far as Smash TV goes, I've played through it with someone and the last boss was beaten, but I received a Game Over before the last boss. I have played the SNES a lot more than any of my friends, so any game that has shared continues you can guarantee that I'll survive until there's none left then Game Over. Of course, I always Game Over before my friend who has used all the continues up to that point..

Apr 23, 2014 at 5:06:42 PM
Super Slash (0)
(Jesse Winstead) < Lolo Lord >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: AlexKunio

It is actually possible to save that victim through a glitch. Awesome speedrun though, 2:17 is incredible.

I remember having to lead some zombies over to some of the neighbors to prevent more from spawning right next to them by having a certain number on the screen at once.  Is this the glitch you mean?

Yeah, it's basically that, but in this case it prevents the tourists from turning into a werewolf because the game can't produce any more sprites.

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:03:50 PM
AsmikAce (97)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
While I have the the Genesis version, I can agree it is an extremely tough game with constant enemy respawns and limited weapon availability. I remember times of wandering for a key and have my lives drain away.

Apr 24, 2014 at 1:31:42 AM
Cletus404 (10)
(John L) < Little Mac >
Texas
Played it numerous times growing up with friends. Of course we would use all the passwords and still I don't really remember actually getting to the last level. I remember the giant baby, haha. And the UFO. One of my favorite games for the Genesis. Never played it on SNES till recently.

"Life was such a wheel that no man could stand upon it for long. And it always, at the end, came round to the same place again."
--Stephen King

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:36:05 AM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

Yeah, it's basically that, but in this case it prevents the tourists from turning into a werewolf because the game can't produce any more sprites.

Can you really get to those tourists on that stage though (Son of Dr. Tongue)?  I know about the sprite glitch and that it works on werewolf tourists, but the issue I always had on that particular stage is that the tourists are stuck on a balcony with a solid wall that cannot be destroyed.  There does not appear to be a secret passage to them either.

I've always wanted to know if it's possible to get up there, so I'd love to hear it if you know a way!

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:03:35 PM
Rooster (113)
(Michael Speakman) < Ridley Wrangler >
Japan

Originally posted by: Rooster

Enjoyed this game too but also never completed it. Super Smash TV comes to mind as well, played the heck out of that game with various friends and we did get pretty far...but could never beat it

Super Smash TV is a difficult game, but I'm not sure if it's quite as difficult as zombies ate my neighbors.

Oh I wasn't necessarily saying one was harder than the other, just memorable in that they were both games played with friends that we could not complete. I actually remember finally realizing you could hold the buttons down in Super Smash TV to continually fire...I played for a while rapid firing the buttons in all crazy directions - totally kills the fingers! Felt so dumb =p

Smash TV is definitely a lot more addicting...  just blasting away at stuff.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:50:04 PM
Super Slash (0)
(Jesse Winstead) < Lolo Lord >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: rdrunner

Can you really get to those tourists on that stage though (Son of Dr. Tongue)?  I know about the sprite glitch and that it works on werewolf tourists, but the issue I always had on that particular stage is that the tourists are stuck on a balcony with a solid wall that cannot be destroyed.  There does not appear to be a secret passage to them either.

I've always wanted to know if it's possible to get up there, so I'd love to hear it if you know a way!

Oh, sorry, I'm thinking of a different level lol (level 28, I believe). Not sure about the bonus stage. My brother and I did that one recently and I don't remember there being any impossible-to-reach tourists, though maybe they just got turned into werewolves.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:54:25 AM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

Oh, sorry, I'm thinking of a different level lol (level 28, I believe). Not sure about the bonus stage. My brother and I did that one recently and I don't remember there being any impossible-to-reach tourists, though maybe they just got turned into werewolves.

Yup, level 28 is definitely one of those levels where you need the sprite glitch to get all the tourists.  The programmers obviously didn't intend for people to get 100% rescues on this game!

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:27:44 AM
NintendoKid (0)
(Nick C.) < Eggplant Wizard >
Indiana
Originally posted by: snes_collector

Yeah, this is one of my favorite games on the system easily. Never came close to beating it either, although I plan too eventually. Also kinda viewed the passwords as part of fun, but weapons wise it makes it pretty brutal. I also need to get a copy of Oh No! More Zombies At My Neighbors too, as it looks like it would be well worth playing through.

Don't forget Ghoul Patrol.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:56:28 AM
doner24 (326)
(Jesse D) < Bowser >
Minnesota
I think it was covered earlier that Ghoul Patrol sucks.

WTB: Please help me find the following items
Hurricanes and Super Copa Boxes

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:30:19 PM
snes_collector (86)
(Jordan ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
I like Ghoul Patrol. Sure, it isn't quite as good as ZAMN, but for anyone who likes the original it is worth giving a try. I think if it wasn't the sequel to one of the best games of all time it would be more loved.

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:36:21 AM
Steve (12)
(Steve RVG) < Lolo Lord >
United States
I like ZAMN but also find it to be, at the same time, not as epic as it truly could have been. Had the game given us additional modes such as the following:

1. Imagine if each stage had an exit, and it played just like Doom. Saved no neighbors? No bonus points, but you can still advance to the next level.

2. The other option would be to kill every last baddie in order for the exit to appear. This mode would be for the more action-oriented gamer.

Then it would have been perfect IMO.

As for Ghoul Patrol, as a 1 player game it's a lot more forgiving, and overall it's pretty solid. But yeah, it just didn't have the charm or solid playability as the original. I did like the jump button they added in, though.

RVGFANATIC | SNES reviews and remembrances

RELIVE | REPLAY | REMEMBER