Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

MINT Nintendo Power First Issue

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:28:38 AM
fri (0)

(french fri) < Cherub >
Nevada
I have a MINT copy of Nintendo Power first issue. Obviously, this includes the original mailing envelope and all envelope contents in likewise pristine condition. I can find no record of a comparable item changing hands in the last several years. Comparing it to the CIB cello- wrapped games that sell for up to several thousand dollars, i would ballpark the value at several thousand dollars. Especially given that this is a far more interesting collectible that will make a much finer display than a video game box that can never be unwrapped... I also have a near- mint copy, which is in the finest condition possible for a copy of this magazine that has not been sealed in the original envelope for the past 25 years.

That said, and with some amount of respect, I am not interested in anyone's NM copy which is really, really pretty. I have one of those, too. It's on ebay for $144.95. And mine is in much better condition.

So if anyone has any insight regarding an actual MINT CONDITION copy of this item, please let me know! thanks

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:32:16 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
lol did you really just compare an NP to a several thousand dollar game? You might be able to get a few hundred to someone who hardcore into it. Why people seem to think their stuff is worth an exuberant amount is beyond me.

Also, this should have just gone into your other thread, that you posted, like 2 mins before this one.

-------------------------
Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:41:40 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Mint is relative to ones own perspective. What's mint to you might be absolute rubbish to someone else.

A truly perfect mint copy of Nintendo Power shouldn't be more than $150. I'm looking at both your auctions and what you claim is "MINT" is no where near that description. Damage I can see without closeups...

- Above the bush in the bottom right area in the "blue sky" portion you have a 1/16" x 1/4" "lift" possibly from a finger turning the page.

- To the left of "Baseball Roundup" you have some white showing

- To the left of "Over 50 Pro Tips" you have some white showing

- To the left of "July/August 1988" you have a visible crease and slight white showing

- There appears to be a smudge under the "R" in the nintendo power logo

- On the back cover at the bottom-middle area you have a 3" x 1/16" "lift" which is probably from storage.

- The book doesn't sit perfectly flat.

I believe your auction is this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/260917487...

If so, I would give it my top price- $150.

Edit: My God, you REALLY overvalue your product here. Sell it on Sotheby's in 25 years for 5 figures? eBay "Deal of the Week"? My goodness man...

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Edited: 12/19/2011 at 11:46 AM by PowerPlayers

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:50:11 AM
N64ADL (12)
(ryan fowler) < Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Originally posted by: JosephLeo

Mint is relative to ones own perspective. What's mint to you might be absolute rubbish to someone else.

A truly perfect mint copy of Nintendo Power shouldn't be more than $150. I'm looking at both your auctions and what you claim is "MINT" is no where near that description. Damage I can see without closeups...

- Above the bush in the bottom right area in the "blue sky" portion you have a 1/16" x 1/4" "lift" possibly from a finger turning the page.

- To the left of "Baseball Roundup" you have some white showing

- To the left of "Over 50 Pro Tips" you have some white showing

- To the left of "July/August 1988" you have a visible crease and slight white showing

- There appears to be a smudge under the "R" in the nintendo power logo

- On the back cover at the bottom-middle area you have a 3" x 1/16" "lift" which is probably from storage.

- The book doesn't sit perfectly flat.

I believe your auction is this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/260917487764

If so, I would give it my top price- $150.

Edit: My God, you REALLY overvalue your product here. Sell it on Sotheby's in 25 years for 5 figures? eBay "Deal of the Week"? My goodness man...

oh snapp you've been served fri!!!

N64 All the way (except Final fantasy 3 on snes :)

Edited: 12/19/2011 at 11:50 AM by N64ADL

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:07:49 PM
BuckNutty (6)
(Brutus ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
move to.....

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...;

Like everyone has said, you have to be crazy to think that is worth 3k

Lets go Bucks!!!

Edited: 12/19/2011 at 12:09 PM by BuckNutty

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:09:12 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
I would like to add one more thing, I'm not trying to bully you in any way. I'm just trying to clarify that mint condition is relative only to the beholder. My opinion is proof (although, maybe anecdotal)

If it were my auction I would do a $179.99 BIN and set a best offer as well.

I'm sorry if I've offended you in my previous post. This is the price check forum and you asked an honest question.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:28:19 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
You will find a lot of pretty hardcore paper collectors on this site, myself included.

Your "mint' copy is nice but as others have stated its nowhere near thousands...hundreds is even stretching it. If your gonna list it that high at least allow for offers so you can gauge the real value for future listings. I'd price that in the $200-$300 range.

A NM copy is gonna be around $50-$75 although I think yours is over graded.

Cool items though, good luck with the sales.

And as stated please consolidate your threads together in the future to reduce forum clutter.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:32:53 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: fri

I have a MINT copy of Nintendo Power first issue. Obviously, this includes the original mailing envelope and all envelope contents in likewise pristine condition. I can find no record of a comparable item changing hands in the last several years. Comparing it to the CIB cello- wrapped games that sell for up to several thousand dollars, i would ballpark the value at several thousand dollars. Especially given that this is a far more interesting collectible that will make a much finer display than a video game box that can never be unwrapped... I also have a near- mint copy, which is in the finest condition possible for a copy of this magazine that has not been sealed in the original envelope for the past 25 years. That said, and with some amount of respect, I am not interested in anyone's NM copy which is really, really pretty. I have one of those, too. It's on ebay for $144.95. And mine is in much better condition. So if anyone has any insight regarding an actual MINT CONDITION copy of this item, please let me know! thanks

"I just opened and removed it from the original mailing envelope from 1988 to photograph it."

I hope that statement isn't true...Going to sound like a dick in 3, 2, 1 ...WTF were you thinking dude? Not trying to insult but I don't open my sealed games to prove what's inside.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:36:02 PM
p33jay (55)
(Allen (PJ) The Awesome) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
This thread is hilarious.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:36:23 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
I read it as propaganda Tom. There's no way someone would open a sealed copy and then put it on EBAY opened for $2k plus.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:10:55 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
if it is mint/unused, send it in and get it graded.

eBay listings here

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:22:31 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: videogamedomain

I read it as propaganda Tom. There's no way someone would open a sealed copy and then put it on EBAY opened for $2k plus.

Yeah good point.  I apologize for my outburst but those statements bewilder me.  Fri we are nice here but keep in mind here's where a good population of your buyers will be and we scrutinize every aspect.

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:42:25 PM
mlbfan10 (100)
(Jason Trogdon) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
About 99% of the time someones opinion of mint is way off. For myself though I actually can distinguish mint as I know where to look. It could be my experience with graded games or sports cards but when I say something is mint I mean it.

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:22:13 PM
fri (0)

(french fri) < Cherub >
Nevada
WHOA. lolz. HOW WAS I GOING TO KNOW WHAT WAS IN THE ENVELOPE W OUT OPENING IT? Should I borrow some fiber optic equipment from the feds? Seriously, what is your train of thought on this? Besides, cgc opens the bag to grade it.
And try sending a valuable, unopened envelope to a grading company and see if it ever even gets returned to you. lol. You'll get a diff copy back, maybe.

No offense to your personal interests, but a nice magazine is a way better collectible than a cello-sealed game that you can never open and play. Who wants to display a video game wrapped in cello? You can't even see the box good because of the glare from the cellophane!

This item is in mint condition because it has never been read (brand-new condition), and, it is for a fact in the identical condition as the moment it was produced by the publisher. ('Minted', derived from numismatics). Whether there may be minor white spots is irrelevant because they are not damage or wear, but a product of the manufacturing (printing) process.
Yes, when i say something is mint, I mean it.

Look at my Near Mint copy. It appears to be in better condition. No "white spots" or "lift". But it is not. Because it is not in MINT condition. (It has been exposed to body acid from fingers, there are scuffs and scratches on the cover difficult to see with the naked eye, etc.) Any further analyses of the mint magazine's condition only serves to define what grade of mint condition. You really can't grade it the same way you'd grade a comic book, either. That's not fair, it would be like grading a baseball card with the system used to grade a coin. Magazines don't get graded quite like comics, they're a little different. Just look at some of the stuff on ebay. People offer crumpled up old mags, say they're in 'good' condition, and people buy them for a lot of money! That would never fly with a comic book! I know.

Show me this exact quality item selling for the type of money you games guys are talking about, and I'll agree. Fact, I'll buy it!!

I've already watched this item sell rapidly on Amazon.com for $150 in 'near mint condition', no envelopes, magazine only with poster. I guarantee [GUARANTEE] that my Near Mint copy is in better shape than that one.

Ima take gixmaster advice n send it in for grading. That usually doubles the value of a collectible anyway, whatever the value is.

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:29:45 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California

No offense to your personal interests, but a nice magazine is a way better collectible than a cello-sealed game that you can never open and play. Who wants to display a video game wrapped in cello? You can't even see the box good because of the glare from the cellophane! 

a LOT of people on here would prefer it sealed, if not the vast majority. just saying.

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:31:00 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
I could have told you exactly what was inside without opening it..and I never would have opened it.

But hey its your item so do whatever you like with it. If it truly was unopened then you killed a majority of its potential value by opening it.

Also, please stop comparing it to sealed games..its apples and oranges. Not even close.

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:35:06 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Uhh you're kind of asking for it aren't ya? This site has a rabid selection of collectors here who enjoy nothing more than getting the best quality sealed games, some going and finding somehow trust in VGA which bumps the value even higher. Magazines aren't that huge here, and you're also well over-estimating the value of an opened up potentially used magazine with obvious flaws and this is just on the cover. You say it's new, but how are we supposed to buy that when you opened it up? Can you authenticate that? Hell I might as well take my 'new' copy of the Indiana Jones Omnibus I'm telling you to trust me I've never read, have Harrison Ford sign it, and then charge accordingly for it on a whim.

Don't get so hot when you get called out fibbing about something being nearly mint when it isn't even in those average if that quality pictures supplied.

Amazon is loaded with morons too, you have to realize this. People hide the quality of stuff on there very well since pictures aren't displayed, it's a gamble and a trust issue. I know a local nice guy, a reseller. He this last few days sold a few copies of Pokmone Fire Red GBA (Cart only) for $40 on there, and this was not a one off thing. Try finding a bunch of tools who would pay that on ebay with pictures and the competition. If you're just going to trust one website with what you feel the items move for on there, then good luck. But arguing with the collector group here (which I'm not part of) into perfection and completeness you're not going to get anywhere with the attitude.

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:36:02 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
no one is bent out of shape to you, so don't get bent out of shape to everyone. 1k+ on a Nintendo magazine is ridiculous. VGA might grade it? I dunno - but getting it authenticated as NEW and unused (never opened)would help not only the price, but your credability. As for your crediability, you are loosing it fast. With your price tag, people will question, if not mock the seriousness of the item. Serious. I do. I think it is a laughable price simply because i might be a buyer and it is in no way shape or form authenticated except for "your personal guarantee".

"I can take a shit in a box an mark it guarantee - I got spare time"

eBay listings here

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:37:09 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

WHOA. lolz. HOW WAS I GOING TO KNOW WHAT WAS IN THE ENVELOPE W OUT OPENING IT? Should I borrow some fiber optic equipment from the feds? Seriously, what is your train of thought on this? Besides, cgc opens the bag to grade it.
And try sending a valuable, unopened envelope to a grading company and see if it ever even gets returned to you. lol. You'll get a diff copy back, maybe.

This item is in mint condition because it has never been read (brand-new condition), and, it is for a fact in the identical condition as the moment it was produced by the publisher. ('Minted', derived from numismatics). Whether there may be minor white spots is irrelevant because they are not damage or wear, but a product of the manufacturing (printing) process.
Yes, when i say something is mint, I mean it.

Look at my Near Mint copy. It appears to be in better condition. No "white spots" or "lift". But it is not. Because it is not in MINT condition. (It has been exposed to body acid from fingers, there are scuffs and scratches on the cover difficult to see with the naked eye, etc.) Any further analyses of the mint magazine's condition only serves to define what grade of mint condition. You really can't grade it the same way you'd grade a comic book, either. That's not fair, it would be like grading a baseball card with the system used to grade a coin. Magazines don't get graded quite like comics, they're a little different. Just look at some of the stuff on ebay. People offer crumpled up old mags, say they're in 'good' condition, and people buy them for a lot of money! That would never fly with a comic book! I know.

Show me this exact quality item selling for the type of money you games guys are talking about, and I'll agree. Fact, I'll buy it!!

I've already watched this item sell rapidly on Amazon.com for $150 in 'near mint condition', no envelopes, magazine only with poster. I guarantee [GUARANTEE] that my Near Mint copy is in better shape than that one.

Ima take gixmaster advice n send it in for grading. That usually doubles the value of a collectible anyway, whatever the value is.

Dude let's not get into a pissin match here.  I wasn't trying to offend you but whenever you take something out of it's original packaging it loses value. period. Your absolutely wrong about the sealed games vs. magazines.  I crap games that are worth more than your NP dude.  Its a VERY NICE piece but the sealed games are not only more sought after they are a lot more expensive for the equivalent of what you have. You have a MINT copy of NP#1, great piece but nowhere near the cost of a rare sealed game. Glare or not.

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:47:57 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
You could have easily tell what was inside it by looking at the post date on the envelope. Anything shipped gets an official post date from the post office which means it was shipped "X day" of "X month" of "X year". Chances are it would say "July" or "August" on it. Going with that, you will see the Nintendo Power logo on the envelope. Putting two and two together, you get a "This is a July/August Nintendo Power" 4.

Also, I would love a nice cellophane sealed game. They display FANTASTIC if you do it right- so I don't know what you're talking about.

"Never Been Read"...well, then if that's the case I have a ton of books that have never been read before but look like total crap. Does that mean I can ask exorbitant amounts of money for them? No. Also, if you know anything about printing, then you will know that it did NOT leave the printing company in that condition. So no, it's not mint.

Also, grading a comic book vs. grading a magazine is EXACTLY THE SAME. They're rectangular books, printed on incredibly cheap ass paper (glossy, or matte depending on the cheapass budget) that are extremely easily damaged. A coin however is made of metal and a baseball card is made out of paper. Bad analogy. Oh and it just so happens to be that Ninteno Power #1 is just one of the best collectible gaming magazines. I'm sure if an Action Comics #1 was crumpled people would still be willing to pay top dollar for it.

Finally, show you an exact quality item? How about one that's better? http://www.ebay.com/itm/140664020...
That one only shows signs of standard wear from the top to bottom about 1/4" in on the right side.

And again, like others are saying. Just because games sell for $x,xxx doesn't mean that this game magazine should. I have a nice watch, but that doesn't mean a magazine with that watch advertised in it is worth a comparable value.

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:33:35 PM
Arkturus (80)
(Brian Koo) < Lolo Lord >
California
My friend sold one complete like yours for $61:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250912616...

I bought mine that has 1 small blemish for $63.

I'm not knocking your pricing. You can post it for $100K for all I care. Just giving you an idea here.

Playing Clash of Clans Hardcore - If your in-game and looking for a clan we're recruiting - PM me with details

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:34:54 PM
p33jay (55)
(Allen (PJ) The Awesome) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
edited for silliness

Edited: 12/19/2011 at 06:12 PM by p33jay

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:43:11 PM
T3rra (85)
(Terra ) < King Solomon >
Washington
Edited for an honest answer:

Your price seems a little out there.

If you want to compare it to mint sealed games, don't compare it to the games that are truly rare. It's more uncommon than anything.

Edited: 12/19/2011 at 05:35 PM by T3rra

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:50:20 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Originally posted by: p33jay

Why are we still giving clown shoes here the time of day? Did he get banned yet..

edit: on the hall of shame post qix banned him.

LOCK PLEASE.

different guy - this guy is fine.  He can sell his items for whatever he wants, this is a price check thread.

eBay listings here

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:19:26 PM
BalloonFight (233)
(Kyle Allen) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
It's pretty damn delusional to think that your copy, espeically when flaws were pointed out earlier, would get a price that is far above what has ever been given. I have a NP #1 that is nearly perfect, I can see 2 flaws when looking at it. I wouldn't expect more than $100 for it. Thinking you'll get 4 figures or more is just the funniest thing I've ever heard of.

Always looking for early issues of these magazines: GameFan, Tips and Tricks, Electronic Gaming Monthly.
Don't be afraid to send me a PM if you have any of these. I would love to give you some games for your magazines. :)