Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

A New Direction For Faegly

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:06:41 AM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia

Alright, I'm sure at least some of you noticed I haven't done the comic the past few issues.  The reason for this is I've been pulling ideas in my head for where to take it.  The biggest complaint I always got was the comic felt out of place in the magazine, like it was there but not really connected to anything except occasional, annoying events in the forum and this just led me to make fun of everyone.  Sometimes, like the whole burnambill debacle, it was warranted, other time I was just poking fun.  That being said, I've been trying to think of ideas of where I want to take him so he feels like a more integral part of the magazine.  Thus, I want some feedback.

1. Be honest, it won't hurt my feelings, did you actually enjoy the comic?

2. I was thinking of only rarely making fun of people, and only in cases when it's someone who's screwed over the community.  So that kind of strip will be gone unless that stuff happens now and then, which it probably will.

3. One of my main ideas was having Faegly and his friends do the usual whatyoucallit but at the same time making them game reviews, similar to how I did the Color Dreams strip whenever Happy Camper was released.  Thus, I could have him and his friends review games and go through them (like inside the game) doing various things (pointing out programming glitches and such through the humor).  This was my main idea, that way it would be a regular way of having reviews while at the same time having a comic.  Let me know what you think.

Other than that, I have some minor ideas I really don't like at the moment.  At any rate, I would like any of you interested to respond to this thread with ideas, criticism, etc. so I can decide where I want to take him and get it running again.  Thanks!

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:14:54 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
YES I love the comic..

I for one don't mind the making fun of people.. Feel free to have Lolo is there anytime and make fun of him/me...

Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be great..

Nice to see you around Stan, haven't seen you around much lately.

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:16:52 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
I'm being 100% honest when I say that Faegly was my favorite part of the monthly ezines. I looked forward to each and every installment, and I've been bummed that he hasn't made an appearance as of late.

I didn't feel as though the comic was out of place either. It's a comic with video game undertones that related to members of our community. Sounds good to me.

I'll be looking forward to the next installment regardless of where you decide to take it.

Edited: 02/04/2010 at 10:17 AM by BeaglePuss

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:19:21 AM
Battymo (100)
(Scrubb'n Nutz) < King Solomon >
Nova Scotia
9 times out of 10, I don't understand the humor.

While not entirely making fun of people, you should have more characters related to NA users. (ie a penguin / a small child / a batman) Sort of like you have Bronty the dinosaur.

These characters should find themselves in humorous situations involving gaming and/or the sexual adventures of the Penguin user. I mean really, the whole thing writes itself at that point!

-------------------------

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:22:53 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
^^^^ Second (to BeaglePuss's post)

My favorite parts of the Faegly comic was when you brought your personal gripes in (the "silly" nature of variant collecting, selling a collection with the intentions of immediately buying most of it again, etc.).

I wasn't huge on the last epic strip, but I really enjoyed basically every other one in there. Oh, and I wasn't super fond of the orange color change to the ghost (his name escapes me), but it was absolutely my favorite part of the ezine without a doubt.

Most of the jabs were tongue in cheek and weren't presented to offend the individuals that were portrayed, I think taking those out would deflate the character.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Edited: 02/04/2010 at 10:23 AM by MrMark0673

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:33:51 AM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Battymo

9 times out of 10, I don't understand the humor.

While not entirely making fun of people, you should have more characters related to NA users. (ie a penguin / a small child / a batman) Sort of like you have Bronty the dinosaur.

These characters should find themselves in humorous situations involving gaming and/or the sexual adventures of the Penguin user. I mean really, the whole thing writes itself at that point!

Eh, I think that sort of stuff is better suited for your daily polls.  The comic makes specific jokes about (usually minor) things that occur in the community and then blows them completely out of proportion.

If the comic were changed to the point of "Hey look at popular member so-and-so, isn't he like so gay like?!" I'd probably never bother reading it again.  I liked how Faegly brings Stan's personal (some would say old school) collecting philosophy into the strip each month, I'd rather it not run than turn into some unrelatable strip with random jabs at people with no real context.  Just my 2 cents.

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!

Edited: 02/04/2010 at 10:34 AM by MrMark0673

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:43:28 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I actually enjoy the controversial/editorial nature of the strip and wouldn't change a thing. It's nice to have someone poke fun at the hobby to keep things in perspective. There are way too many people on this site that take this shit way too seriously.

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:50:38 AM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
They were funny! Keep them the same!

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:00:28 AM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
Honest

I didn't understand the comic most times. I usually only read it if I was bored. I did like a few of them.

I do like the idea of making more NA characters. Everyone likes reading about themselves and people they hang around.

Let's Go Penguins!

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:05:54 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia
Damn, okay. I was feeling like he was out of place, but I guess enough of you seem to like it as is. Hmmm. Didn't expect that entirely. And thanks for all criticism, positive or negative, keep it coming. One reason I was deciding to possibly change some of the direction was that there are only so many times I can make fun of this and that without getting redundant. And let's face it, we don't necessarily want bad things to happen around here so I have fodder to use. Yeah, sorry I've been absent the past few zines, it's been bothering me. Been really thinking of how I want to work it. That and my band was getting ready to start touring and I had to finish several VERY involved films and animations. Took me freaking forever. I think the user idea though is awesome. I could easily introduce tons of new characters based on users here. In your opinions, make me cool list of who you think I should transfrom (in my own way, only partially based on images already done in some game demos and such). I definitely am game for that. Anyway, thanks guys!

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:20:09 PM
themotherbrain (93)
(> ROB <) < King Solomon >
New York
I also loved the comic as is and is the first thing I would read. New characters would certainly add depth and more outlets for story direction. There's no reason to lose the edge. You can make fun of me anytime if you are looking for permission. I ain't scurred. I can't speak for everybody but most can surely take a joke. It is too serious here at times and it is a great way to point out childish or neurotic behavior while inviting a laugh. Keep it up dude.

No Ninja Rap = No Thanks. 

Check out my FS thread here -

Edited: 02/04/2010 at 12:27 PM by themotherbrain

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:48:40 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
You _need_ to make a nymphomaniac penguin as a new character.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:38:48 PM
Ouendan (1)
(Go play Gun Nac right now!!) < Lolo Lord >
California
I love the comic the way it is. It always reminded me the classic Howard & Nester comics but with a more modern and edgier feel. You should make a new one with Battle Kid. That would be epic.

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:14:41 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Battle Kid with bed head?

Feb 4, 2010 at 7:33:30 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
eeek. looks like i'm gonna be the asshole on this thread, but this is how i feel.

1 & 2. no. i don't. never "got it." seems like it was about insular jokes or making fun of a person or caricature, which was fine except i never knew who the hell it was supposed to be. it seemed like a missed opportunity, which it looks like you've figured out.

3. if he had focus, it'd make more sense, like pity observations on buyers, sellers, games, etc. have people give you ideas with their ridiculous stories of trying to buy a game from a seller from hell, or whatever. i think you have to find the voice of the character and then give the strip a direction. this isn't easy and if a story has no focus, it's just a bunch of shit that happens with some cursing in it to make it edgy.

i also get that this isn't yr job so it's not going to be a penny arcade or xkcd type of thing, but i think if you had all the stuff in #3 I'd read it.

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:02:08 AM
Stan (81)
Virginia
Obviously you didn't read it much! I don't seem to remember putting swearing in their once! I make it edgy through annoyance only! But I will think about what you said too. The suggestion is good too, hmm, I will keep thinking about this. Obviously not everyone is going to like it, and that's fine. Bad criticism is a good thing.

Feb 5, 2010 at 11:34:23 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Now that I'm no longer affiliated with the eZine, I can say that I never really understood it either. It seems like it's "let's come up with the most random thing ever" and then you run with it, throw in some german like words here and voila, it's a strip.

But I guess I'm in the minority, so I say go with what you're doing. I'm not the most intelligent guy around, so it may just be above my head.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:52:56 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia
No, don't think that, and thanks for the criticism! That was one of the main complaints I got, especially early on after a few strips when it was REALLY out there. I slowly toned it down but tried to retain the bulk of the weirdness. Going to keep giving it some thought. If I don't have one for the next mag, it will be the month after. Want to make sure I think this out thoroughly. If you have more comments, keep them coming.

Feb 9, 2010 at 10:13:28 PM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
(Gimmick, Mr.) < King Solomon >
Connecticut

Cant wait to see some new comics, have been a fan since the start!

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:33:14 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm kicking it off with some old school for the return here. Should be good!