Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Accidentally" winning auctions

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:10:09 PM
shortstop444 (12)

< El Ripper >
California
Can't tell you how many times I've gotten into a biding war with a Seller shill bidding his own auctions with more than one account with no intention of winning. Many times I've been 2nd, 3rd or 4th highest and the seller has tried to sell me the item. A few times I've seen a guy bid up on my first bid to where I'm only a few cents more (seller=$20.00 vs. me=$20.04). I would have another higher bid say $20 ($39.95)more and the same guy would keep bidding up and up and bid too high and win the auction (me=$39.95 vs. seller=$40.00). The seller would try and sell me the auction at the $39.95 price. the winning bidder was the only one between my $39.95 bid and $20.04. That's where the whining and sniveling begins. That takes lots and lots of experience. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. 

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:39:55 PM
MrFlutterPie (43)
(Rick Taylor) < Kraid Killer >
Ontario
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

If I don't want to buy something, I don't bid on it. Period.

This.

Also l if I don't have the money for the item in my account the second I win the item I pass.  I never understood people taking days to pay for an item.  I alwalys pay right away after winning a item.

-------------------------

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:43:47 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

If I don't want to buy something, I don't bid on it. Period.

Agreed.  

A bid may have involved bad judgment, and thus been a mistake, but it wasn't "an accident".

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:27:36 PM
AlexKunio (24)
(Alex Ryan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
That's why I put "accidentally" in quotes I'm glad I got it, but the situation was a little spur-of-the-moment compared to my usual buying style and I was looking for support.

Edited: 06/03/2014 at 08:29 PM by AlexKunio

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:51:20 PM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Sure, sometimes I have done this, usually if I am browsing ebay late at night and have been drinking. But if I win an auction, I win, and then I pay like any good buyer would do. Luckily, this hasn't happened too often, and even with the items I win, they are things I want, though maybe the time wasn't right (i.e. they weren't my priorities at that point)

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:00:45 PM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: NES_man_83

Originally posted by: dj5kjlara

Hey, no harm no foul.  The seller was actually pretty relieved.  He didn't want it to go that low.  He re-posted a few days later with a starting bid $50 higher than what my final bid was.  I don't remember if it ended up selling or not.

I disagree here.  Buy trying to screw the guy who was willing to pay more than you, you cost him the chance to win the auction at a reasonable price and perhaps get a good deal.  It may have helped the seller in the end make more, but it's still a pretty crappy thing to do.  There was harm to the guy who didn't win the auction, and a foul from you.  I don't understand the mentality, "If I can't win the auction, I'll make the other guy pay for it."  Who cares if the other guys willing to spend more than you.  Just move on to the next auction.

I could never understand this sort of childish mentality either, tbh.  And in the end it just hurts everyone as sellers become wiser with what they are selling, prices increase, and then no one ever gets a deal.  And for what reason?  Just out of spite / jealousy of the shill bidder, at least that is all I can think of as any sort of "justification", though I am sure our buddy dj5kjlara could offer us more insight.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:23:33 PM
dav3yb (39)
(david ) < Meka Chicken >
Mississippi
I bid on a secret of mana on ebay, then found one here to buy. ended up winning the auction which i had forgotten about. now i've got 2 copies of secret of mana =/

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:42:25 PM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: tracker465

Originally posted by: NES_man_83

Originally posted by: dj5kjlara

Hey, no harm no foul.  The seller was actually pretty relieved.  He didn't want it to go that low.  He re-posted a few days later with a starting bid $50 higher than what my final bid was.  I don't remember if it ended up selling or not.

I disagree here.  Buy trying to screw the guy who was willing to pay more than you, you cost him the chance to win the auction at a reasonable price and perhaps get a good deal.  It may have helped the seller in the end make more, but it's still a pretty crappy thing to do.  There was harm to the guy who didn't win the auction, and a foul from you.  I don't understand the mentality, "If I can't win the auction, I'll make the other guy pay for it."  Who cares if the other guys willing to spend more than you.  Just move on to the next auction.

I could never understand this sort of childish mentality either, tbh.  And in the end it just hurts everyone as sellers become wiser with what they are selling, prices increase, and then no one ever gets a deal.  And for what reason?  Just out of spite / jealousy of the shill bidder, at least that is all I can think of as any sort of "justification", though I am sure our buddy dj5kjlara could offer us more insight.

Absolutely agree. 

I don't buy games on ebay, but I do occasionally bid on Christmas lights.  I've never placed a bid I wasn't comfortable paying if it turned out to be the winner.  It blows my mind that anyone would.

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:02:29 AM
Wyldephang (0)
(Ryan B.) < Eggplant Wizard >
Maryland
Originally posted by: AlexKunio

I bid on an auction on something I really wanted for awhile, not at a "steal" (sort of a high price actually, but still fair because it's in great condition).  I bid on it awhile before it ended sort of expecting to be outbid, but I wasn't.

Not really sure how I feel about it.  I don't exactly have buyer's remorse because I wanted it, yet I can't help but feel like I could have found a better deal.  Just wondering, have any of you ever (or regularly? XD) done this?

If you were competing with other bidders, then it sounds like you were goaded into something of a minor bidding war.  Either way, if the loss only amounts to a few dollars, I wouldn't feel too depressed about it.  For every one or two great deals that slip away on eBay, there are several average ones, and others yet that close at a much higher price for whatever reason.  At least it doesn't fall into that latter category.

- Ryan

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:49:07 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Originally posted by: Ipsylos

Originally posted by: teh lurv

This happened to me recently. I put a max bid of $125 on a Genesis game lot auction while it was still in the $30 range. I figured the lot would either go well below $125 or well above $125 (which was the max I'd be willing to pay.) At the last second a sniper put a bid of $124.77, making me the winner at $125.

I wasn't expecting to actually pay $125 on the dot, and I was kind annoyed at the sniper. Had he not bid, I could've gotten that lot for about $30 less.
I've had this happen on multiple ocassions. It's like the sniper knows exactly how much your bid is and just jacks it up to it. I know it's not the case but I just find it odd how I've had it done multiple times, sometimes on the same sellers auctions.

This happened to me a while back and I'm still somewhat baffled by it. I had an arbitrary bid and someone bid $.05 or $.10 less than I did with less than 5 seconds left in the auction. I had the exact same feeling that OP has. I wasn't going to back out but was kind of annoyed that I was paying my max bid. But, like others have said, if you are going to bid a certain amount you should be ready to pay it out. I never bid in a similar fashon again. Live and learn I guess. Although these days I don't really go on eBay much anymore since everything seems to be above my maximum bid while there's still days left in the auction. Prices be crazy.

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Edited: 06/06/2014 at 12:49 PM by Andy_Bogomil

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:49:04 PM
Spurgness (11)
(Cody S) < El Ripper >
British Columbia

This happened to me recently. I put a max bid of $125 on a Genesis game lot auction while it was still in the $30 range. I figured the lot would either go well below $125 or well above $125 (which was the max I'd be willing to pay.) At the last second a sniper put a bid of $124.77, making me the winner at $125.

I wasn't expecting to actually pay $125 on the dot, and I was kind annoyed at the sniper. Had he not bid, I could've gotten that lot for about $30 less.

Same thing happened to me when I won my Suikoden II, sniper made it my exact max bid.

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:06:55 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
I don't bid on anything unless I know I want it. I also don't bid on anything if I don't have the money first.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:00:18 PM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Spurgness

Same thing happened to me when I won my Suikoden II, sniper made it my exact max bid.

Diablo 3 had an auction house exploit where a seller could tease out the high bidder's max bid and shill bid to just under that max amount. It wouldn't surprise me if a similar exploited existed on eBay.

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:25:03 PM
darwin (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Oregon
I just put in an offer on all 3 ttmnt nes games, cib and very minty. I put in a somewhat lowball offer of 125, and it was accepted 2 minutes later to my surprise. I am somewhat conflicted because it is a good deal, but still a lot of money.

On the hunt for a CIB Konami Laser Scope. 

Always looking for CIB NES games and accessories. PM me.

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:28:47 PM
NickTLG (48)
(Nintendo Sage) < Bowser >
Illinois
That's a nice find darwin. I would be happy
Maybe the guy will let you pay in installments so you don't lose such a big chunk of money at once.

Instagram
Wishlist