Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2017 Weekly Contests Presents: Defender 2 Contest ends Sunday, 6/18/17 at 11 PM NA time

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:22:33 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
I agree with skinny. Of course, he's probably just playing us and will sweep in with a 1000% increase later on, but I mean it. Defender isn't a shooter/shmup, or at least not a typical one. Source: I don't like shooters and I love Defender!  Sure, you're literally shooting stuff, but there's a freedom to roam that you don't see in other shooters. Although the comparison to Kung Fu is apt, in that both have a set of rules that is simpler to understand than to explain concisely. 

This was my first version of Defender, via emulation in 2003. I was very impressed with the sound and graphics, which, as primitive as they seem at first, also hold more information and cues than the surface indicates. This is the best port, IMO. Maybe because all the other ports are on 2nd gen hardware. Although nothing compares to the arcade cabinet once you get used to the controls, which are more like a flight sim with combat thrown in.

Edited: 06/13/2017 at 02:26 PM by gunpei

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:24:41 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Anyway, personally I'm legit bad at games so here is my lowly participation score, subject to update but probably not by much.

Edited: 06/15/2017 at 01:45 AM by gunpei

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:28:23 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: gunpei

Anyway, personally I'm legit bad at games so here is my lowly participation score, subject to update but not likely by much.

thats a bad ass tv! 

-------------------------
 2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:29:42 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Anyway, personally I'm legit bad at games so here is my lowly participation score, subject to update but not likely by much.

thats a bad ass tv! 

I agree. Ya know, over the years it's always been for me "new tv, new features, bigger, better" but lately I've been pining for one of these old CRTs to scratch that true oldschool itch.

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:31:17 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Gloves

Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

I had this game as a kid. A few years ago when I played the Atari 2600 version, it seemed like it was a lot more fun than I remembered the NES version being. Hopefully I can give this a try again over the weekend, but I doubt I would be able to put up a score good enough to crack the top 8.

It'd be great to see you put up a score, top 8 or no!  

It's been a really busy week, but hopefully I can get some time this weekend. If I get a chance to play, I'll post whatever I end up with.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:35:02 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I'm going to sit here and enjoy being in second place for the short time that it lasts.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:57:01 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Originally posted by: mbd39

I'm going to sit here and enjoy being in second place for the short time that it lasts.

You should go and beat my 400K score so you end second place, right behind Gloves this week.  

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:58:23 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

I had this game as a kid. A few years ago when I played the Atari 2600 version, it seemed like it was a lot more fun than I remembered the NES version being. Hopefully I can give this a try again over the weekend, but I doubt I would be able to put up a score good enough to crack the top 8.

I consider the Atari 2600 port to be pretty much the best one.
I like the NES port, but the Atari one is just much more fun to play.  

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:00:50 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

The 2600 port a lot more faithful to the arcade, right?

It's weird that they changed so much for the NES port.

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:29:53 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Hey all, I finally took the time to hook my NES Classic up to my recording tools. If interested, I'd be happy to broadcast my gameplay of Defender II. I'm still in practice mode, but might be interesting to watch I dunno don't judge me jeez.

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:33:07 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Hey all, I finally took the time to hook my NES Classic up to my recording tools. If interested, I'd be happy to broadcast my gameplay of Defender II. I'm still in practice mode, but might be interesting to watch I dunno don't judge me jeez.

I am at work right now, so I wouldn't be able to watch it, but sure, if you stream at a later time, I will be interested in watching it.

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:36:08 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

I am at work right now, so I wouldn't be able to watch it, but sure, if you stream at a later time, I will be interested in watching it.

Yeah it'd be in a few hours from now, as I too am working at the moment.  

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:37:26 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

Alright. I will be interested in watching it.
If I can find time to do another run this week, I will too live stream it.  

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:37:45 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Hey man, you should upload your twitch streams to Youtube. I really wanted to see your Kabuki Quantum Fighter stream but I missed it.

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:40:48 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >

Even the world record run on Youtube is under three hours. It would be interesting to see how long the resident shooter/arcade pros could keep going without any limitation.

I don't know about anyone who's on NA, but back in the day, the top guns would play for over 24 hours straight on a single credit.

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:41:59 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

Hey man, you should upload your twitch streams to Youtube. I really wanted to see your Kabuki Quantum Fighter stream but I missed it.

I'm kinda scared to upload anything to YT right now because I've been neglecting it for the last two months, and my fans are the rabid type, who like to be like "Hey this isn't IGI 2 what are you doing!?".

Jun 13, 2017 at 3:56:11 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil

The 2600 port a lot more faithful to the arcade, right?

It's weird that they changed so much for the NES port.

Not sure if it is more faithful as I didn't get to play the original arcade game much other than a few rounds in MAME.
But played it on our Atari quite a lot and always had a blast.
This NES port is fun, I like playing it, but it seems to lack some magic that the Atari port had.

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:05:07 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
In the Nintendo version they took out the part where you put the people down on the ground. Neither is faithful to the controls (not enough buttons) but the Atari version is less so.

thats a bad ass tv! 
I agree. Ya know, over the years it's always been for me "new tv, new features, bigger, better" but lately I've been pining for one of these old CRTs to scratch that true oldschool itch.
Thanks grinder!

Gloves you should get one! It really does give another type of experience which I like a lot. Good luck in searching.

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:06:59 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
One major difference with the NES port is not being able to carry the humanoids and bring them back down to the planet surface. And the ground doesn't explode and all landers turn into mutants when all the humanoids are destroyed. These original aspects from the arcade would have added to the challenge and intensity but they were changed for some reason.

Also in the arcade you can warp to higher levels using the stargates by entering when you are carrying humanoids.

Edited: 06/13/2017 at 04:09 PM by mbd39

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:08:39 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

In the Nintendo version they took out the part where you put the people down on the ground. Neither is faithful to the controls (not enough buttons) but the Atari version is less so.
  thats a bad ass tv! 
Thanks grinder!

Gloves you should get one! It really does give another type of experience which I like a lot. Good luck in searching.

I prefer to use my old CRT for NES games because no lag. There will probably be at least some lag with any flat screen.

Plus NES games were meant to be played on a CRT. It looks natural.

Edited: 06/13/2017 at 04:09 PM by mbd39

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:18:55 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Wait... IGI as in I'm Going In?

Man, I haven't thought about that game since.... whenever a demo of it came out

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:20:35 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Wait... IGI as in I'm Going In?

Man, I haven't thought about that game since.... whenever a demo of it came out

Yeah that game lol. I did a full playthrough of it on YT years ago, and am currently about halfway through the sequel (which is nowhere near as good as the first game, I am sad to say).

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:46:43 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

I'm kinda scared to upload anything to YT right now because I've been neglecting it for the last two months, and my fans are the rabid type, who like to be like "Hey this isn't IGI 2 what are you doing!?".

so tell them to piss off? 

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:50:17 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Bert

so tell them to piss off? 

Lol the majority of my subs come for me playing IGI. I have over a million views on the original series alone, which is saying something for a guy who only recently hit 2k subscribers. But yes, I may have to break the news sometime and be like "yo I'm sorry guys but I need a break from IGI 2, it's a terrible game".

Edited: 06/13/2017 at 05:50 PM by Gloves

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:07:52 PM
tablew/chairs (11)
< Meka Chicken >
Michigan
speaking of terrible games have you played defender II?