Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

5/24/18 UPDATE! AVS firmware 1.30 Final now available! Also adds interpolation, fixes no boot/crash bugs for games like Xexyz, and other random tweaks!

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:41:10 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Final for version 1.30

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:39:42 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Yep, always the possibility of future improvement.  

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:52:07 PM
BrianC (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Maryland
I had the same experience with the EU battletoads when I played it via Everdrive on the AVS in PAL mode with a PAL compatible TV. 

Jun 26, 2018 at 8:34:27 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Makes me sad that there still isn't any new palettes. I mean is it technically very complicated to add Palettes or even add a palette loader in the Scoreboard program? Again, the FBX palette in the AVS is out of date. He's had like 3+ revisions of that palette since. Then of course there are other cool Palettes like Wavebeam. I wished we got some kind of confirmation that its planned for a future firmware just so I don't have to guess anymore.

Again, maybe I underestimate what it takes to add palettes while creating a new firmware, but it seems like such a small request that could have been implemented by now.

If all you did was add wavebeam and FBX's Smooth palettes it will be greatly appreciated by many people.

Edited: 06/26/2018 at 08:37 PM by BRNexus

Jun 27, 2018 at 10:07:23 AM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: BRNexus

Makes me sad that there still isn't any new palettes. I mean is it technically very complicated to add Palettes or even add a palette loader in the Scoreboard program? Again, the FBX palette in the AVS is out of date. He's had like 3+ revisions of that palette since. Then of course there are other cool Palettes like Wavebeam. I wished we got some kind of confirmation that its planned for a future firmware just so I don't have to guess anymore.

Again, maybe I underestimate what it takes to add palettes while creating a new firmware, but it seems like such a small request that could have been implemented by now.

If all you did was add wavebeam and FBX's Smooth palettes it will be greatly appreciated by many people.

The problem is every update, no matter how small or insignificant we think it might be, has the possibility to introduce another, unwanted change to something else in the firmware.  As such, any changes, even if swapping out or updating palettes, has to be carefully weighed out in regard to implementation, testing, etc.  There's also the issue of how much space is remaining on the FPGA and how much of that bunnyboy wants to leave open for possible bugfixes or future feature implementation.  If he uses all of that up no implementing a handful of palettes that, looking at those who are actually saying anything about it, only a handful, at most, would really go nuts over, he either loses the space/ability to implement future fixes and features or inevitably has to deal with all of the ranting and bitching at whichever palettes he axes to get those fixes/features implemented.

It's a balancing act.  If there's enough call for palettes (and 1080p, etc.), enough people will get vocal enough that bunnyboy will get the picture.  If that happens, I'd guess he might entertain the possibility of an "AVS 2.0" which uses the bigger FPGA he's discussed previously, which will immediately boost the cost of the system...but add additional space for things like 1080p support, tons of palettes, etc.  The issue of bugs occuring via implementation would still loom, but at least then there'd be plenty of room to do it.

-------------------------
Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:25:39 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Again, the FBX palette in the AVS is out of date. He's had like 3+ revisions of that palette since.
If the palettes go "out of date" (a term I question, since there is no right or wrong palette in NTSC) that fast, it makes no sense for Bunnyboy to keep updating firmware solely for adding palettes every time a new one comes around. The palette loader will be preferable in that scenario, though I'm not sure that it can be pulled off.

Plus, where does it stop? We just had a guy ask for the Playchoice-10 palette, too. You're never going to get a full consensus.

Edited: 06/27/2018 at 01:27 PM by Tulpa

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:30:50 PM
SmaMan (0)
(Smalliard Manning) < Crack Trooper >
Oklahoma
Sweet! I've been meaning to give my AVS some attention for a while now. Good to hear development is continuing.
Originally posted by: Tulpa

Again, the FBX palette in the AVS is out of date. He's had like 3+ revisions of that palette since.
If the palettes go "out of date" (a term I question, since there is no right or wrong palette in NTSC) that fast, it makes no sense for Bunnyboy to keep updating firmware solely for adding palettes every time a new one comes around. The palette loader will be preferable in that scenario, though I'm not sure that it can be pulled off.

Plus, where does it stop? We just had a guy ask for the Playchoice-10 palette, too. You're never going to get a full consensus.
This may be a pie in the sky, but what I'm thinking is why not release a utility, (on PC/Mac or on the console itself) to create/update your own palettes? That way when a palette gets "updated" one could transfer those changes to their AVS equivalents. At least, that's how I see it.

When I'm not 8-bitting my life away, I like to write. You can find my short stories and ramblings here: smaman.wordpress.com

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:35:51 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: SmaMan
This may be a pie in the sky, but what I'm thinking is why not release a utility, (on PC/Mac or on the console itself) to create/update your own palettes? That way when a palette gets "updated" one could transfer those changes to their AVS equivalents. At least, that's how I see it.

Bunnyboy can best answer that. I don't know how the palettes are integrated into the firmware and whether they can be changed at all without rewriting everything.

Jun 27, 2018 at 3:51:37 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
Originally posted by: SmaMan

Sweet! I've been meaning to give my AVS some attention for a while now. Good to hear development is continuing.

FBX has been done with his NES palettes for sometime now and people have been asking for updated palettes or added palettes forever for the AVS.  

And yes, I'd like to be able to change palettes on demand using the Scoreboard program.  That is what you use to update firmware anyways.  

I highly doubt adding a palette would break anything.  The only limitation would be memory, but I'm willing to bet he could squeeze at least one more palette. 

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:15:59 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

I highly doubt adding a palette would break anything. 
We thought fixing one GG thing wouldn't break anything, but it glitched the audio.

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:56:30 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >

I highly doubt adding a palette would break anything. 
We thought fixing one GG thing wouldn't break anything, but it glitched the audio.

I'm pretty sure GG implementation is a totally different ball game than palette swaps.   

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:58:07 PM
BRNexus (0)

< Little Mac >
But I have a simple solution. We should do a poll on what Palettes we want to see and hopefully whatever gets most votes ends up getting implemented in a future firmware.

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:06:59 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

I'm pretty sure GG implementation is a totally different ball game than palette swaps.   

It wasn't a full implementation, it was one small tweak. Still glitched the audio somehow.

But I have a simple solution. We should do a poll on what Palettes we want to see and hopefully whatever gets most votes ends up getting implemented in a future firmware.

Go for it. But unsaturated stays, no matter what.  

Edited: 06/27/2018 at 05:07 PM by Tulpa

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:23:58 PM
Austin (72)
(Austin M) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
I finally got around to updating my system last weekend. Absolutely loving the interpolation. No more screen shimmer!

| gameplay and talk |

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:47:00 PM
tbone3969 (67)
< Lolo Lord >
United States
Can someone tell me what aspect ratio each tick is on pixel aspect bar?  I am on the new 1.3 firmware.  I have an older Samsung LCD that can force 4:3 and I am trying to get it as close to a CRT picture as possible.

Also, what is the interpolation option for?  Should I have this on or off?

TIA

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Edited: 07/27/2018 at 11:50 PM by tbone3969

Jul 28, 2018 at 7:26:42 AM
dragonwarrior83 (36)
(Nick R) < Meka Chicken >
Georgia
I don't even know which firmware is in my AVS, I just got this week (monday), and I haven't had a single issue yet and I threw some oddball stuff at it. I am kid dracula Famicom cart has troubles booting sometimes but I need to clean it. Is it worth updating yet or should I wait awhile for the fine tuning? I also want to get the leaderboard up and running so I can compete in the weekly contests even though I know it's not required 😁.

Got all 4 Dragon Warriors CIB, Thanks Everyone. Now looking for Dragon Quest ( Famicom ) 1, 2, and 3. Also a box and guide for Earthbound.

Jul 28, 2018 at 8:17:18 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: tbone3969

Also, what is the interpolation option for?  Should I have this on or off?

Originally posted by: RetroUSB Support

-Adds interpolation - Reduces or eliminates the shimmer effect that can happen on non integer aspect ratios on some TVs. 

I have an older Samsung LCD that can force 4:3 and I am trying to get it as close to a CRT picture as possible.

If your TV will force 4:3, then set the AVS all the way wide, and use your TV to force it into 4:3. 

Edited: 07/28/2018 at 08:17 AM by Mog

Jul 28, 2018 at 8:19:22 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: dragonwarrior83

I don't even know which firmware is in my AVS..........is it worth updating yet 

Your AVS has firmware 1.00 on it if you have not updated it. 

Yes update it, lots of fixes and updates were done since 1.00. There is no reason not to update it.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:37:18 AM
SmaMan (0)
(Smalliard Manning) < Crack Trooper >
Oklahoma
Originally posted by: dragonwarrior83

I don't even know which firmware is in my AVS, I just got this week (monday), and I haven't had a single issue yet and I threw some oddball stuff at it.
Just update it. Worst case you can easily roll back to a previous version or even worser case, factory reset the thing.

When I'm not 8-bitting my life away, I like to write. You can find my short stories and ramblings here: smaman.wordpress.com

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:55:52 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
If anything, you get the palette choices and a few other options added.

Aug 1, 2018 at 8:18:14 PM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
I finally got around to updating the firmware to 1.30. I like the interpolation option it looks a lot better on my tv now. Bad Dudes now works also, I couldn't get to work before.

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:34:18 AM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Originally posted by: themisfit138

I finally got around to updating the firmware to 1.30. I like the interpolation option it looks a lot better on my tv now. Bad Dudes now works also, I couldn't get to work before.
Yeah, the interpolation mostly fixes my desired aspect ratio. Now, I don't have to go through the trouble of setting it to 16:9 and having my display squish it to have even pixels and roughly genuine 4:3.

Retro Tech Select
Check out my YouTube Channel for old-school gaming goodness!

Feb 22 at 4:20:10 AM
spoonman (66)
(Matt - The Obsessed Gamer) < Ridley Wrangler >
New York
I was wondering if there has been any progress on a new firmware which will fix the glitching and lockups with the RetroUSB 8-Bit XMAS 2017 cartridge.

I first reported it back on December 5th, 2018, but since Xmas is over replies have stopped.

To refresh...There is severe glitching and hard lockups when running the RetroUSB 8-BIT XMAS 2017 cart on the AVS (1.30 final firmware).

The power light on the AVS will occasionally flicker, and the cart eventually freezes up after some glitching.

I realize I can fix this by reverting to an older firmware, but I use the interpolation option exclusively in order to get rid of the shimmering effect. I also realize that the amount of people that own the RetroUSB LCD screen 8-BIT XMAS 2017 cart is probably small, but being that both the AVS and this cart are flagship RetroUSB products I think compatibilty between them should be a priority. 

Feb 26 at 6:42:50 AM
spoonman (66)
New York
Bump

Mar 06 at 7:45:25 AM
spoonman (66)
New York
bump