Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

How many Unique NTSC Playstation 1 games are there? Also: Anyone have or are going for a complete PSX set?

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:31:31 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
(Aaron N) < King Solomon >
Wyoming

I don't collect Playstation games, but I was curious.  Anyone know how many games are in complete NTSC set?  I've searched the web and couldn't find anything definite.  Wikipedia says 2,418, but I'm pretty sure that includes other regions.  I've also seen the number in the many thousands, but again I think that's with all the other regions, demos, ect.

Also, anyone here have or are going for a complete set?  If so, then my hat goes off to you.  I'd like to see a picture of that.  If my number above is correct then that makes more psx games then the NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube combined.  Where would a person even begin with something like that? 

Edited: 06/24/2011 at 01:34 PM by NintendoTwizer

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:40:28 PM
Alder (52)
(Tom B.) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I've been trying to figure this out. I looked online for about 3 hours, there are plenty of lists, but the numbers seem to change a lot, depending on if they include demo disks, educational/promo games.. there are just so goddamn many PS1 games that it's hard to find a list. I found a list online that looked complete, but I noticed it was missing some. And if I remember correctly, the list on playstationcollecting.com is compiled by users, so is probably incomplete.

I'm not focused on Playstation at all really, yet I have almost more PS1 games than I do NES. I find them at yard sales very frequently. I've been picking them up for $1 or less if I find minty CIBs, and I'm at about 100 unique games so far. They're a bit of a pain in the ass though.

If you find a complete list I'd love to see it. I'm interested in PS2 as well. They HAVE stopped producing PS2 games, right?

-------------------------

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:44:32 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
Wyoming
ha ha... yeah I think they just stopped making PS2 games just last year. I think there needs to be a playstationage.com, it's really nice to have an easy to read and well organized database that NA has.

Edited: 06/24/2011 at 01:44 PM by NintendoTwizer

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:47:15 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Dangerboy aka Jason Dvorak is probably the biggest PS1 collector I've heard of. His list would be as good as any:

http://www.game-rave.com/psx/play...

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:48:29 PM
SKULLDEATH9000 (161)
(Jay Z ) < Kraid Killer >
Maryland
Hybrid has a shit load of PS1 games as well. I want to say around 900 of them however

<--- Don't be a JIVE TURKEY!
Magfest 2016:  "Even kids are dying to play this game"
Magfest 2016:  "Slip em a 20" 

Campout 2011: "I hate TETRIS I would like to go back in time and punch that Soviet dude right in the FACE"
Chuck Yeager's Fighter Combat - Chuck Yeager "I don't even know you." 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud Thread Owner of Enslaved's 5000th POST!

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:48:57 PM
Alder (52)
Pennsylvania
I pulled a list from a site a few weeks ago, but I can't remember the name of it.  Here's the best I could do, I came up with 1299 games, so I'm not sure if I'm missing half of them or if the other half are region exclusives.  

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:49:51 PM
Alder (52)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: jonebone

Dangerboy aka Jason Dvorak is probably the biggest PS1 collector I've heard of. His list would be as good as any:

http://www.game-rave.com/psx/playstation_perfect_guide/relea...

Sweet.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:53:08 PM
uiengineer (220)
(jeff .) < King Solomon >
Illinois
i collect PS1 games, but i'm not going for a whole set. i'm going for a whole longbox set though. As for non- long box, I am getting rare/valuable games, or cool games that i enjoy. I don't know how many i have now, but its around 75-100 and 15 longbox

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:54:01 PM
Alder (52)
Pennsylvania
I've been thinking of going for a complete Greatest Hits set, that would be neat.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:55:50 PM
uiengineer (220)
(jeff .) < King Solomon >
Illinois
ps2 games are still being made. they made MLB 11 the show and the 2k baseball game for it. they also made that wwe all stars game. these all came out in march

Jun 24, 2011 at 2:53:38 PM
NintendoTwizer (172)
Wyoming
Originally posted by: uiengineer

ps2 games are still being made. they made MLB 11 the show and the 2k baseball game for it. they also made that wwe all stars game. these all came out in march

No kidding?  Thats pretty amazing.  So are there more PS2 games then PS1 games?  That kind of reminds me of how I found Madden '98 for the SNES the other day.  That must have came out well into the N64 era. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:13:45 PM
Alder (52)
Pennsylvania
I wish Nintendo did the same thing with the Gamecube.

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:23:34 PM
matt17_52 (28)
(Matt Wyatt) < Lolo Lord >
South Carolina

1476. I pulled my list in my collections from sony website.

This includes all Greatest Hits variants and Long Box/jewel case variants.  May not be all but is pretty close.  I have only had to add 1 or 2 games since I finished it. 

Originally posted by: RetroBasement

wow thanks for making me squirt milk out of my nipples

Edited: 06/24/2011 at 06:29 PM by matt17_52

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:54:55 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
Mr. Gimmick and someone else were trying to get a PS1 site off the ground a year or two back. It's still up, but I don't think it's been touched in a while. www.playstationcollecting.com...

Currently Playing: L.A. Noire
Currently Listening: Tyler the Creator - Goblin
Currently Watching: Workaholics, 5 Deadly Venoms

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:26:12 PM
matt17_52 (28)
South Carolina
Originally posted by: xARSEFACEx

Mr. Gimmick and someone else were trying to get a PS1 site off the ground a year or two back. It's still up, but I don't think it's been touched in a while. www.playstationcollecting.com...

It is still up and running.  They are in the process of building a database for all things playstation.  I am a member there.  Not as active as NA but I think in the near future it will be "the" playstation site.

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:27:43 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
Originally posted by: matt17_52

It is still up and running.  They are in the process of building a database for all things playstation.  I am a member there.  Not as active as NA but I think in the near future it will be "the" playstation site.

Oh, awesome. It's cool that they're managing to get some good content up over there.

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:30:59 PM
matt17_52 (28)
South Carolina
Originally posted by: xARSEFACEx

Originally posted by: matt17_52

Oh, awesome. It's cool that they're managing to get some good content up over there.

Yeah I can't wait for it to be totally complete.  I have a secret love affair with PS collecting.  Just something about those 3 systems I can't stay away from.  The only drawback to the playstationcollecting site is that it is geared toward PAL region.  You kind of have to lurk around a bit to get to the NTSC info.

Edited: 06/24/2011 at 06:34 PM by matt17_52

Jun 24, 2011 at 7:02:28 PM
Zing (23)
(Daniel Corban) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
The "problem" with the playstationcollecting site is that almost every active user is in Europe and most of the content revolves around PAL.

Selling half my NES/SNES/PS1 collection (ending Dec 1):
http://tinyurl.com/zingebay...

Jun 24, 2011 at 7:33:46 PM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
The guy that runs the site is European (Xtincthed on NA), but back when they first started, there was a second guy (Mr. Gimmick on NA) that lived in the US that I believe was helping with NTSC content. Not sure what happened with that.

Edited: 06/24/2011 at 07:37 PM by xARSEFACEx

Jun 24, 2011 at 10:42:42 PM
Zing (23)
Ontario
This database seems decent:
http://www.psxa2z.com/L0A_0.html...

Also, the old Digital Press PlayStation book has a complete list of every game, sorted by genre. Although, there is no numbering, so I don't know how many games it lists.

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:06:52 PM
Zing (23)
Ontario
I just doubled checked that PlayStation book and it has the ultimate checklist: every single US release sorted in order by SCUS/SLUS number. It also has lists sorted by genre and publisher in case you are collecting a subset.

The third party releases alone total around 1500. It's harder to gauge the first party releases, since Sony included demo discs in their number sequence. They were smart and assigned different numbers to third party demo discs.