New York
Originally posted by: fsped09

^ Study Hall (Non-LE) added.

*Study Hall LE added.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:18:51 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
So, I tried to do some scans of some game boards last night, but they were awful. The chips would look ok since they pressed on the glass, but the board was a complete blur because it sat away from the glass.

I read the instructions, but it seems that it was more meant for carts and not boards. Is there any objection to taking photos with a camera to get better quality pics? I could snap a couple, email them, and let you evaluate first if you would like.

-------------------------
Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:15:44 PM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: Mega Mario Man

So, I tried to do some scans of some game boards last night, but they were awful. The chips would look ok since they pressed on the glass, but the board was a complete blur because it sat away from the glass.

I read the instructions, but it seems that it was more meant for carts and not boards. Is there any objection to taking photos with a camera to get better quality pics? I could snap a couple, email them, and let you evaluate first if you would like.
Gonna let fsped answer the question, but if you get the green light, feel free to PM me the pics to use. Thanks.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:51:14 PM
fsped09 (234)
(( nes-city.com )) < King Solomon >
New York
Its true, the db is designed more for carts (among other items) than boards. I know there are few games (maybe more?) in the db that have pics of PCBs but again, the three main categories are C I B. The PCB images I've seen just fall under the "additional images" section.

Here is an excellent resource for PCB pics and data.

http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/pc...

To answer your question, I don't have a problem with you taking pics with a camera, it just seems counter-productive since the information is already out there. Personally, I feel if you've got a scanner I'd rather see scans of C I B.

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:58:32 PM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Maybe I am just misunderstanding the purpose of the database. I mean, NA has been around for a long time and it looks like there isn't much of a demand for PCBs.

I was looking at the database from an archival stand point. A complete archive would include this information and photos. But what I am understanding here is that it actual purpose of the database is not so much archival, but tracking. Is that a fair assumption?

Not trying to start anything, I am just trying to understand better. I also didn't know an archive existed for just PCBs. I do know of a few sites though that track CIB like NA does.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:05:03 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Mega Mario Man

Maybe I am just misunderstanding the purpose of the database. I mean, NA has been around for a long time and it looks like there isn't much of a demand for PCBs.

I was looking at the database from an archival stand point. A complete archive would include this information and photos. But what I am understanding here is that it actual purpose of the database is not so much archival, but tracking. Is that a fair assumption?

Not trying to start anything, I am just trying to understand better. I also didn't know an archive existed for just PCBs. I do know of a few sites though that track CIB like NA does.

This.

There needs to be an effort to archive every bit and detail of every game out there.

The way I look at it, is once a game is fully archived, no one will ever have to archive it again and you can mark it as "complete".

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Mar 5, 2014 at 5:52:10 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
http://www.nintendoage.com/index....
Atari developed games for Capcom? According to our DB, they did! Please change this nonsense and mark them as developed by Capcom(1942 and Ghosts'n Goblins was done by Micronics, though, and Yo! Noid by Now Production)

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Edited: 03/05/2014 at 05:53 PM by Vectrex28

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:38:40 PM
DarkTone (2)
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: Vectrex280996

http://www.nintendoage.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Search.Resul...
Atari developed games for Capcom? According to our DB, they did! Please change this nonsense and mark them as developed by Capcom(1942 and Ghosts'n Goblins was done by Micronics, though, and Yo! Noid by Now Production)
Thanks for the heads up. Yo! Noid has been updated, gotta check on the others.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:03:45 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
In terms of archiving, just a photo of the pcb doesn't give much more info than the hardware profile section already provides. I think the time is better spend on everything that has no info.

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:33:21 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Mar 23, 2014 at 6:58:53 PM
DarkTone (2)
United Kingdom
Finished Ray Bot's list! Snes variants are updated!

So, who's next?

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:09:49 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
I mentioned Caltron's rarity be changed awhile back http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Playas Guide Logo

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:20:49 PM
DarkTone (2)
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: nes_pimp

I mentioned Caltron's rarity be changed awhile back http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&thr...
Done and done. Hopefully we can get  more accurate updates on rarities.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:23:13 PM
CaptainPiracy (11)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
So when I was searching ebay this week I ran across the game "Challenger" listed as the "Asian Version". I looked it up in the DB and it is missing..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-...

Same guy - NA Thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

NES: Licensed (671/677) - Unlicensed (58/91) - Consoles - (2/2)
NEED: Sharp NES TV, Famicom AV

N64 - Carts:(296/296), Consoles:(9/9), Controllers:(14/20)

TRADE THREAD!

May 13, 2014 at 6:46:11 PM
DarkTone (2)
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: CaptainPiracy

So when I was searching ebay this week I ran across the game "Challenger" listed as the "Asian Version". I looked it up in the DB and it is missing..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-...

Same guy - NA Thread:
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...

This was added weeks ago. Sorry, forgot to say.

If ANYONE has new info to add, feel free, especially rarities with "?" with them.

May 15, 2014 at 2:54:51 PM
CaptainPiracy (11)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
Yeah,

I went through and added a lol of stuff already.. :

NES: Licensed (671/677) - Unlicensed (58/91) - Consoles - (2/2)
NEED: Sharp NES TV, Famicom AV

N64 - Carts:(296/296), Consoles:(9/9), Controllers:(14/20)

TRADE THREAD!

May 19, 2014 at 6:49:24 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Someone added all the extras for the NES games, looks like Maps or guides that came with the game. I do not see the letter from Startropics included on said list, and I feel like it should be, considering you needed to dunk it in water to get the password to move on in the game.

Also, these items are showing up as cart entries. Since they're all paper, could we move them to the instruction check box?

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Edited: 05/19/2014 at 06:49 PM by Ferris Bueller

May 19, 2014 at 7:33:18 PM
DarkTone (2)
United Kingdom
Sure can. Any chance of a list showing what needs to be changed to what? Also, never heard of the Star tropics thing. That's cool.

May 24, 2014 at 8:07:04 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
Texas
Originally posted by: DarkTone

Sure can. Any chance of a list showing what needs to be changed to what? Also, never heard of the Star tropics thing. That's cool.

Look at my NES collection. Sort everything by publisher, go to the U's, look for Unkown. Every one of those that has the red cross out is new and under cart. I think it should be instruction since most of it's paper.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

May 29, 2014 at 8:10:52 AM
DarkTone (2)
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: Ferris Bueller

Originally posted by: DarkTone

Look at my NES collection. Sort everything by publisher, go to the U's, look for Unkown. Every one of those that has the red cross out is new and under cart. I think it should be instruction since most of it's paper.

Thanks man. Will look into it.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:39:32 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
Texas

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:44:38 AM
Ferris Bueller (231)
Texas
Here is the wiki article on the Star Tropics letter.

Originally posted by: Wikipedia

A unique aspect of StarTropics was a saga involving a piece of paper, resembling parchment, that came packaged with the game. Written on it was a letter from Dr. Jones addressed to Mike, asking him to visit him at his laboratory on C-Island. It was as if the actual player had intercepted the message and was being invited indirectly to play the game. In later parts of the game, Mike receives an enigmatic message from his uncle through a third party:

"Evil aliens from a distant planet...." "Tell Mike to dip my letter in water...."
Even for a player who owned an original copy and thus, was more likely to have the letter, it was unusual for an NES game to refer to a physical object that would otherwise just be a novelty (although Infocom games had been doing this for some time, with the "Feelies" that they included with their games).[citation needed] This prompted the player to think that Dr. Jones might be referring to an object within the game. To add to the confusion of the puzzle, putting this paper under water might damage it. Regardless, the correct course of action was to dip the physical piece of paper in water. It revealed a secret message from Dr. Jones and the number "747" that must be used in the game in order to advance.[4]

Since many rental stores and used video game retailers often do not have game boxes or manuals, it is difficult to find a copy of StarTropics with the original letter, requiring the use of game manuals or walkthroughs to complete this part of the game. Game magazine Nintendo Power was asked this question often enough that they published the "747" code as part of their "Counselor's Corner" soon after their article of the game. After completing the game a slideshow of events from the game is shown, including the letter being dipped in water and the number "747" visible on it.

For the Virtual Console release, the letter is included in the digital manual (Operations Guide) with an image of a letter and a bucket of water at the bottom. When the player clicks on one of the images, the letter dips into the bucket and the code is revealed. In the European release, the letter simply has a "click here" link at the bottom of the letter.[5]

And a picture of the letter from google images, that's actually from here:

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:55:21 AM
N64 Gamer (17)
< El Ripper >
Other
The Mario Kart games in the database need some cleaning up.

First off, there's no Mario Kart 8 for either of the 4 regions.

Secondly, Mario Kart 7 for the 3DS is named simply "Mario Kart" for the Japanese and Australian region and "Mario Kart 3D" for Europe. They should all be changed to Mario Kart 7.

My WTB thread
Buying Zelda CIB NES/SNES/N64 games in mint conditions! (Both NTSC and PAL)

Also looking for Phantom Hourglass NFR Demo (PAL) and Twilight Princess NFR Demo (PAL)

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:57:38 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
Texas
So he added the letter, if you search Startropics in the field "Find Games...", then you click on the US version and scroll down to see where there is an American entry with no code for the letter.

Here's the thing, when I try to find it so I can add it to my collection, it doesn't pull up. On top of that, someone added all that other stuff and it automatically appeared in my collection for NES. I know I didn't add it, but an admin/mod somehow got those to show up. Any chance we can do the same for this letter?

EDIT: When I say my collection, I mean my NES Collection on here that I put together myself by selecting from all NES games. Somehow, someone got all that paper stuff to automatically add to my collection I had made, which was awesome. I think the same should be done for the ST letter and any other cool inserts that get added to make the database more complete.

Edited: 06/04/2014 at 04:53 PM by Ferris Bueller

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:31:05 PM
Vectrex28 (130)
Switzerland
Originally posted by: Ferris Bueller

Here is the wiki article on the Star Tropics letter.

Originally posted by: Wikipedia

A unique aspect of StarTropics was a saga involving a piece of paper, resembling parchment, that came packaged with the game. Written on it was a letter from Dr. Jones addressed to Mike, asking him to visit him at his laboratory on C-Island. It was as if the actual player had intercepted the message and was being invited indirectly to play the game. In later parts of the game, Mike receives an enigmatic message from his uncle through a third party:

"Evil aliens from a distant planet...." "Tell Mike to dip my letter in water...."
Even for a player who owned an original copy and thus, was more likely to have the letter, it was unusual for an NES game to refer to a physical object that would otherwise just be a novelty (although Infocom games had been doing this for some time, with the "Feelies" that they included with their games).[citation needed] This prompted the player to think that Dr. Jones might be referring to an object within the game. To add to the confusion of the puzzle, putting this paper under water might damage it. Regardless, the correct course of action was to dip the physical piece of paper in water. It revealed a secret message from Dr. Jones and the number "747" that must be used in the game in order to advance.[4]

Since many rental stores and used video game retailers often do not have game boxes or manuals, it is difficult to find a copy of StarTropics with the original letter, requiring the use of game manuals or walkthroughs to complete this part of the game. Game magazine Nintendo Power was asked this question often enough that they published the "747" code as part of their "Counselor's Corner" soon after their article of the game. After completing the game a slideshow of events from the game is shown, including the letter being dipped in water and the number "747" visible on it.

For the Virtual Console release, the letter is included in the digital manual (Operations Guide) with an image of a letter and a bucket of water at the bottom. When the player clicks on one of the images, the letter dips into the bucket and the code is revealed. In the European release, the letter simply has a "click here" link at the bottom of the letter.[5]

And a picture of the letter from google images, that's actually from here:

Startropics paper?! Yummy! I'm feeling hungry all of a sudden