Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Ghosts n' Goblins Contest ends Sunday, 9/8/13 at 10 PM NA time

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:31:07 AM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

For me, the weapon tier in this game is torch, torch, torch, torch, torch, shield, javelin, dagger, not having a weapon at all, ax.
But that applies for me. Most people tend to disagree with this list.

I have gotten too used to the arch and the fire the torch spawns to use anything else as effectively.
The game is almost unplayable with the dagger. It is too fast and has a much too small collision box.

I get that you're used to the torch which makes it your favorite weapon in this game, but saying that the game is almost unplayable with the dagger is absurd. It goes one way and the other, if you're used to the speed of the dagger and handle the precision needed for using it, then it can become your favorite weapon, just like being used to the flight and fire of the torch makes it the best for you.

On a good day I can 1-life the 1st  loop of the game with the dagger till I'm obligated to switch to the shield, so I wouldn't say the game is unplayable with the dagger. In fact, it is completely playable with the dagger, just like you proved to everyone that it is completely playable with the torch even if 99% of the people still disagree with you

One day I'll try to build a strategy to play the game with the torch, the fire it produces has a very good potential to make some risky part of the game easy. It's just hard to get used to it at first.

-------------------------

Edited: 09/05/2013 at 01:31 AM by guillavoie

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:34:41 AM
EoTN (9)
(Eskimo Of The Night) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
I liked the torch a lot too, but I love the rapid fire of the dagger. If the torch misses, the flame takes too long to die down IMO. As far as the arch, I prefer the axe since it doesn't flare up if you miss. And I miss a LOT against the red demon things.

Sep 5, 2013 at 5:33:22 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

For me, the weapon tier in this game is torch, torch, torch, torch, torch, shield, javelin, dagger, not having a weapon at all, ax.
But that applies for me. Most people tend to disagree with this list.

I have gotten too used to the arch and the fire the torch spawns to use anything else as effectively.
The game is almost unplayable with the dagger. It is too fast and has a much too small collision box.

I get that you're used to the torch which makes it your favorite weapon in this game, but saying that the game is almost unplayable with the dagger is absurd. It goes one way and the other, if you're used to the speed of the dagger and handle the precision needed for using it, then it can become your favorite weapon, just like being used to the flight and fire of the torch makes it the best for you.

On a good day I can 1-life the 1st  loop of the game with the dagger till I'm obligated to switch to the shield, so I wouldn't say the game is unplayable with the dagger. In fact, it is completely playable with the dagger, just like you proved to everyone that it is completely playable with the torch even if 99% of the people still disagree with you

One day I'll try to build a strategy to play the game with the torch, the fire it produces has a very good potential to make some risky part of the game easy. It's just hard to get used to it at first.

I rely too much on the arch, the slow speed and on the torch short distance.

That is why the game is almost unplayable for me when I have the dagger. It's speed, it's short collision box and the fact that it hits full screen makes it too tough for me to play properly with it now that I've grown too used to the fire.

The shield is easier to use because it's short range and the javelin is slow enough that I can manage it.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Edited: 09/05/2013 at 05:33 AM by Bea_Iank

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:46:13 AM
Dennis Fleaman (8)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(dev 2) < Meka Chicken >
Netherland Antilles
Is it ok to die on purpose to point rack ? if you have some extra lives there are some gooed spots. (just to be save ) PS bea iank how is your health? (if you want to talk about it that is)

WWW.RETROPLAYER.NL...

Edited: 09/05/2013 at 11:56 AM by Dennis Fleaman

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:29:43 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Everyone here is dying on purpose to point rack.
No other way to make a good score in this game. And if you manage to beat the game with spare lives, you just wasted a potential several 10s of thousands of points that you could have scored.
Regarding my health, I have been deemed free of cancer on August, 23rd, so it is all good now.
It will be a few months until I fully recover from the chemotherapy, but that is nothing but expected.

Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.

Edited: 09/05/2013 at 12:56 PM by Bea_Iank

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:52:14 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Working two jobs the last three days leaves me zero time for gaming,much less anything else. But now that I've worked my three days I'll be able to update my score tonight......and watch the football game. =)

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:02:23 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Looking forward to your updated score.
I intend to update mine a tiny bit as well.

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:37:35 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Freaking finally broke 100k! I'm pretty sure that's about as high as my score is going to get.

Wanted 100k,but I'll have to settle for this for now.

Edited: 09/08/2013 at 04:01 AM by gutsman004

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:20:33 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
What is up with the King Doll drops on level 1? On the first loop, I got like 2 drops for 10,000 each when I was farming for points on Stage 1 fighting the zombies at the beginning of the level. Are they completely random? Certain amount of enemies need to be killed?

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:41:40 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Logo1285

What is up with the King Doll drops on level 1? On the first loop, I got like 2 drops for 10,000 each when I was farming for points on Stage 1 fighting the zombies at the beginning of the level. Are they completely random? Certain amount of enemies need to be killed?

I think I've only gotten 2 drops per run as well.

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:44:41 PM
EoTN (9)
Texas
92700   My best shot. I actually didn't even clear level one to get this, grinding king dolls on enemies and the first half, and trying to clear the level, I accidentally grabbed the bad pinwheel and ran out of time on my last life. Still, my best score yet. I got two statues a life, and killed time getting as many zombies as I could.

Edited: 09/06/2013 at 04:49 PM by EoTN

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:39:06 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Well, regarding the kings at level 1, there is one right next to that first ladder. Jump at the grave then jump left to spawn it.
And regarding the drops, they follow a set sequence. It is rather large to memorize fully, but once you do, you will know when a king is near to drop and will play closer attention to the enemies.
Usually, for me, they tend to drop after there are two knife drops close together. Learn how to control them, and you will be able to get 4 or 5 of them in your stage 1 run.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:38:01 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
^noted. Will try this tonight.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:44:08 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Please note that getting 5 of them at the first stage is really difficult. I only managed to do that at the second loop last year, after working the drops a fair bit. Most I got at stage 1, loop 1 was 4 drops plus all the fixed drops at that grave right next to the upper part of the ladder.
And also that the item drop array doesn't reset after you have a game over. Ideally, each try should be done with a fresh system power up, but that is really hard to enforce.

Also, updated my score a very minor bit. Hand coordination still isn't what it was before chemo, and some bad luck at stage 6 cut my try short.
I doubt I will be able to top my previous score, but I will try.

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:01:20 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Wow Bea,you really picked this game apart! When you get back to 100%,you should compete every week. We need more gamers playing in these.

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:27:56 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Last tip I will be giving out, and then you're on your own to find the rest by yourselves.
If you aren't using the torch at stage 1, you're not optimizing your point scoring options there.
The torch is the only weapon that guarantees that the mages will spawn with one hit, saving you farming time.

Good luck everyone.

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:03:07 PM
Logo1285 (14)
Florida
618,500 (Score Updated)

Okay. I'm done with this one. Ended up dying on the first part of stage 3 in the second loop. Now I just plan on beating the game sometime this week.

Edited: 09/07/2013 at 06:04 PM by Logo1285

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:07:17 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
Nice score, Logo.
I just updated mine. Could have gotten a higher one, but got careless at stage 1 at the second loop. I will still give it a good run, because I know I can score higher than what I did.

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:11:08 PM
Logo1285 (14)
Florida
Thanks! I couldn't figure out the pattern with the random king doll drops and just did the best that I could. I would have scored a little more but I was using the trick in Level 2 where you clip through the top right part of the tower with the ladders and ogres so I could have collected a few more money bags and killed more ogres for points. Oh well.

Sep 7, 2013 at 9:07:34 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Hey bimmy just letting you know that my name is on the rankings twice.

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:32:13 PM
EoTN (9)
Texas
342,500  OK, several hours of practice later, and with some luck, I beat the final boss, and loop the game. on my last life. I then go on to die on the first red demon after taking a hit while grinding. In the spirit of full disclosure, I collected the life in level 5, but tried to kill the boss with the axe, forcing me to suicide. I re-collected the life in the level before clearing it with the dagger. I did not do this to point grind, but if you feel this disqualifies my score, I understand.

Edited: 09/07/2013 at 10:32 PM by EoTN

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:39:35 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
Brazil
How quaint!
I didn't know of that extra life. It will come handy.
Thanks.

Also, I will take the opportunity to say that I'd be fine with your score being considered valid, as you reached the boss with a weapon that doesn't damage him.

Edited: 09/07/2013 at 11:24 PM by Bea_Iank

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:43:53 PM
treismac (7)
(Travis MacMillan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Georgia

I apologize about the blurriness of the picture.  My wife snagged the "good" camera for her recent trip to Chicago.

Sep 7, 2013 at 11:13:56 PM
EgasKrad (17)
(AJ ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Wisconsin

I got back a couple days ago and I've been pretty busy. I just played to get a point for the week. I'll finally be able to put in a decent effort for the first time in a while next week.

Edited: 09/07/2013 at 11:14 PM by EgasKrad

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:09:40 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Hey bimmy just letting you know that my name is on the rankings twice.

Just got it corrected

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread