Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2015 Weekly Contests Presents: Dr. Mario Contest ends Sunday, 2/22/15 at 11 PM NA time

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:49:42 AM
Silent Hill (131)
(A-A-Ron ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
I picked up a super clean copy of Dr. Mario for $6 last week. It keeps glitching once I start the game though.. need to clean it AGAIN and hopefully it works! (the pins look great so I'm wondering if something else is wrong)

-------------------------

Edited: 02/16/2015 at 09:50 AM by Silent Hill

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:47:00 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I'm snowed in today and it's freezing outside so I may give this another shot. I'm actually decent at the game, I just don't care for the puzzle genre in general so it's tough to get motivated.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:41:38 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

Updated first post with pic

Edited: 02/16/2015 at 12:42 PM by MrWunderful

Feb 16, 2015 at 12:59:16 PM
DaJoshy (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Little Mac >
Iowa
Originally posted by: Krunch

It's on! God I love this game.

I really like the drawing you did on that piece of paper.
Also, nice score!

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:21:53 PM
UncleTusk (234)
(Wilfred Brimley) < King Solomon >
California
I'll see what kind of damage I can do tonight!

Only Brave Souls Click on the Tusk

Short and large run boxes, manuals, maps!  Give your Uncle a call!

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:41:13 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
113,400. Not very good at puzzlers so this might be my only score I'll post. Good to see others are joining in this season.Some strong competitors so far.

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:46:24 PM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
I've had a bad case of Chill since this competition started and the only cure is being in the top 3 :-)

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:59:46 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
ugh, I can't come close to any of these scores. Hell, I have yet to break 10k. I think I played too much tetris recently, as I just can't get my head back around this game.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:23:47 PM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
Updated score: 308,400

After about two dozen attempts I think I have maxed out. Hopefully this score keeps me near the top of the list.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:36:58 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

ugh, I can't come close to any of these scores. Hell, I have yet to break 10k. I think I played too much tetris recently, as I just can't get my head back around this game.

Some of it has to do with luck too.  I lost on my final score because I needed yellows bad and just kept getting reds and blues.  Ugh.

Feb 16, 2015 at 5:35:35 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

Some of it has to do with luck too.  I lost on my final score because I needed yellows bad and just kept getting reds and blues.  Ugh.

Yeah,that's one of the things I don't like about Dr. Mario. It's great if you need those colors,but if not.....

One thing I try to do is make places for all the trash that I don't need since often you'll get several of the same colors in a row and if you have a place to put each of them,you can get rid of them fairly quickly.

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:27:48 PM
rcorporon (34)
(Ron Corporon) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario

I'm pretty garbage at this game...  I'll probably take another run at it later.

Any tips from the pros?

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:05:08 PM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: rcorporon

Any tips from the pros?

I'm certainly no pro Ron, but there are a few tips I can offer...

- Combo whenever you safely can. Combos (clearing more than 1 virus in the same drop) add tons more points than simply clearing viruses one at a time.
This is considerably easier at the lower levels to plan, but many times at the beginning of the higher levels there are more opportunities to do so.
Back in the 2014 Winter playoffs, NA Member arch_8ngel was able to string together entire levels and clear them all in one shot like a Rube Goldberg machine. 

- Save a space for unwanted pills (and try to stack them in colors).  gutsman004 already mentioned this, but if you do not have a place set aside for the inevitable garbage pills you'll die quickly.

- Don't Panic when things look hopeless! Oh No! You accidentally sealed off one side of the level and can't get over there! Don't give up. If you dig in your heels, you can knock down those pills by going underneath that pile and saving your skin. If you want to post a big score, you'll eventually have to overcome this problem... At least once.

- Level 18 is the Gateway to High Score Heaven. (this was also mentioned by gutsman004) For unknown reasons, Level 18 seems to be a tougher Challange than the next couple stages. Get past this stage and you should be in for a significant bump in your overall performance.

- Remember, you can clear viruses vertically AND horizontally. It's easy to forget there are multiple ways to clear those nasty viruses. Sometimes a change in perspective can save your life.

- Lastly... Try not to peek at your score too much until the end. You cannot time out in Dr. Mario (although the pills will fall faster over time). Focus on combos first, then survive when you have to.
At least for me, it's a lot more fun staving off death at the higher levels than constantly watching the score tick up. 

Again, I am not a Dr. Mario Master by any means. These are just the things I use to get by.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Edited: 02/16/2015 at 08:13 PM by Commander Santa

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:18:59 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey

Edited: 02/18/2015 at 08:43 PM by BriGuy82

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:24:00 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
I said I was gonna sit out this season. But just when I thought I was out... Bimmy's awesome list of games pulls me back in!!!

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:27:21 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Great pointers Santa! Another simple one I can add is make sure the pill is in the proper position before placing it. There have been so many times where I've slapped a pill down on the playfield thinking it would clear out an area only to realize that I had the pill off to the left or right or more commonly,the colors on the wrong side of where I needed them.

Edited: 02/16/2015 at 08:28 PM by gutsman004

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:09:15 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
drmario attempt 1

207k, I'll give it a second shot if I have time this week.

Playas Guide Logo

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:29:17 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta

Switched to using my NES and controller...for a better score. This is my 4th run so far, the last post was my first (not counting resets for bad start level).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Edited: 02/16/2015 at 09:30 PM by Krunch

Feb 16, 2015 at 9:37:11 PM
Megamanfan (174)
(Andy Lynch) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

Any tips from the pros?

- Combo whenever you safely can. Combos (clearing more than 1 virus in the same drop) add tons more points than simply clearing viruses one at a time.
This is considerably easier at the lower levels to plan, but many times at the beginning of the higher levels there are more opportunities to do so.
Back in the 2014 Winter playoffs, NA Member arch_8ngel was able to string together entire levels and clear them all in one shot like a Rube Goldberg machine. 

- Save a space for unwanted pills (and try to stack them in colors).  gutsman004 already mentioned this, but if you do not have a place set aside for the inevitable garbage pills you'll die quickly.

- Don't Panic when things look hopeless! Oh No! You accidentally sealed off one side of the level and can't get over there! Don't give up. If you dig in your heels, you can knock down those pills by going underneath that pile and saving your skin. If you want to post a big score, you'll eventually have to overcome this problem... At least once.

- Level 18 is the Gateway to High Score Heaven. (this was also mentioned by gutsman004) For unknown reasons, Level 18 seems to be a tougher Challange than the next couple stages. Get past this stage and you should be in for a significant bump in your overall performance.

- Remember, you can clear viruses vertically AND horizontally. It's easy to forget there are multiple ways to clear those nasty viruses. Sometimes a change in perspective can save your life.

- Lastly... Try not to peek at your score too much until the end. You cannot time out in Dr. Mario (although the pills will fall faster over time). Focus on combos first, then survive when you have to.
At least for me, it's a lot more fun staving off death at the higher levels than constantly watching the score tick up. 

Again, I am not a Dr. Mario Master by any means. These are just the things I use to get by.

I would like to add don't get happy with the down button. I'm guilty of doing this a lot. You think you got your piece in place hold down fast then boom it went in a different spot

When the going gets tough the tough get gaming
Click Link below for my for sale thread

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:03:28 PM
cdawg (3)
(Chantelle ) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:05:41 PM
stinkerhubbin (87)
(King Jeremy the Wicked) < Kraid Killer >
Washington
Originally posted by: Megamanfan

Originally posted by: Commander Santa

Any tips from the pros?

I would like to add don't get happy with the down button. I'm guilty of doing this a lot. You think you got your piece in place hold down fast then boom it went in a different spot

Yeah, mashing the down button when I get impatient has often been the death of what could have been a halfway decent run. I find that I do a lot better when I let the pieces float down on their own.

Also, if you have noisy hyper kids in the house, I would recommend sending them out to play or otherwise occupying them with a quiet activity unless you're a master of concentration.

Wanted to ask the pros here: do you fellas use both the A & B buttons to rotate? Or just use one? I've been using only the A button to rotate my pieces and not sure if that's to my detriment or not.

My favorite Digimon in the whole pokedex is Goku.

My FS/FO/FT Thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

My WTB Thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:19:10 PM
neodolphino (179)
(Justin ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
Updated Score: 131,800

Edited: 02/21/2015 at 09:44 PM by neodolphino

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:39:37 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Slowly getting better. Still laughable, but as the frustration eases I'm enjoying this more and more.

Participation: 18,400

Edited: 02/16/2015 at 11:38 PM by barrels

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:47:29 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
I literally tripled my score and I stayed in the same place. Put the controller down! You guys are crazy! haha

On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:34:47 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Wow...I blew it early on level 16. Dumb move, blocked the bottle opening. Hope to get another crack this week, I'm much better than this. Level 21 is my goal for next time.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Edited: 02/17/2015 at 12:36 AM by Mega Mario Man