Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2016 Weekly Contest Tournament Presents Round 2: Palamedes Contest ends Sunday, 11/6/16 at 11 PM NA time

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:54:26 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
I'm going to be beat out by a guy who was 2-28 against me in the regular season

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:37:38 AM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

Yep I definitely got lucky on the game choice for this round.

Finally got a perfect on level 9. I'm still not very good at the dice combos so I didnt get too far afterwards. Wondering if level 10 is possible....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Nov 1, 2016 at 7:16:38 AM
Seppatoni (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Switzerland
Tier 3 - 515030
Tier 3 - 413000
Tier 3 - 309630
Tier 3 - 259390

> Seppatoni's Zockerstübchen

Edited: 11/06/2016 at 03:02 PM by Seppatoni

Nov 1, 2016 at 10:54:23 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Krunch

Finally got a perfect on level 9. I'm still not very good at the dice combos so I didnt get too far afterwards. Wondering if level 10 is possible....

Damn, dude. I've come close to getting three perfects, but I struggle to even get two on level five difficulty. There's hardly any margin for error.

And yet Legendary Wings was difficult for you??

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:18:09 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

I actually meant Richard lol

So, gonna get destroyed by two guys that are now a combined 4-58 against me.  Sadness.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:28:19 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

So, gonna get destroyed by two guys that are now a combined 4-58 against me.  Sadness.

I damn sure can't get 9 perfect stages! On my current and most likely highest score was 6 or 7 perfects! I fall apart pretty fast after stage 14!
i have moved on to AI for the rest of the week, that should leave you good time to crush us 😜

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:36:21 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
7 perfects?  9 perfects?

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:37:19 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
We're playing the fastest speed right? I'm not crazy?

You guys are sorcerers

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:50:20 AM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

You guys are sorcerers

You're not crazy😜

And to to be fair I was positive I was gonna lose on Mario Bros because of how seemingly easy it was for people to roll the damn score. So I got the best score I could and went straight for Palamedes just in case I moved on!😝

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:54:53 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: Richardhead

You guys are sorcerers

You're not crazy😜

And to to be fair I was positive I was gonna lose on Mario Bros because of how seemingly easy it was for people to roll the damn score. So I got the best score I could and went straight for Palamedes just in case I moved on!😝

My second best score in Mario was 425,000.  Just had to get in the zone.

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:18:43 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

*screams internally*
Lmao! 

also think this fucking Richie guys situation for the tournament is bs! 

Ritchie: " oooohhhh I'm so natural at palamedes and I love AI". 

skinny:   *screams internally* 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Edited: 11/01/2016 at 12:23 PM by skinnygrinny

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:38:09 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: Richardhead

i have moved on to AI for the rest of the week, that should leave you good time to crush us 😜

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:43:13 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

*screams internally*
Lmao! 

also think this fucking Richie guys situation for the tournament is bs! 

Ritchie: " oooohhhh I'm so natural at palamedes and I love AI". 

skinny:   *screams internally* 

Here's the story:
  When this contest started I was working 2 jobs 60-70 hours a week(sometimes more when I traveled for one of the jobs).
about 4 months ago I decided enough is enough, all I was doing was killing myself mentally and physically. I hated my main job that I had been at for 17 years so I up and fucking quit! 
I dissapeared from the contest for a bit to get my head on straight and figure life out. I have for the most part done that and now have an extra 20-30 hours extra per week to do the things I love, like play NES.πŸ˜‹

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:48:23 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia

You guys are sorcerers

Preach, Brock. I'm kind of at a loss understanding how these peeps are getting several perfects. I managed to get one last night and then promptly shat the bed. Some games I just can't access; Mario Bros. I knew exactly what it took to get those incredible scores. This one not so much. My brain just starts to scramble when I'm cycling through my own dice and shooting. I don't think this game is akin to a shooter at all. 

Edited: 11/01/2016 at 12:48 PM by laddersandcakes

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:03:58 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I finally got three perfects. I'm graaaaaadually getting better.

Getting a score over 200k would be nice. Those scores over 400k are nuts.

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:41:26 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
It's all good Ritchie! I'm just throwing a lil fit lol  

Meanwhile, I'd luagh so good if sandafloor doesn't make it to round three!!! Weeeheeeee!!!

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:55:19 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

Meanwhile, I'd luagh so good if sandafloor doesn't make it to round three!!! Weeeheeeee!!!

Meanwhile..... I don't have very limited time to play any NES for a few days! Just sayin'😜

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:03:13 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
Originally posted by: mbd39

Damn, dude. I've come close to getting three perfects, but I struggle to even get two on level five difficulty. There's hardly any margin for error.

Yeah dude I just could not get anything going in Legendary Wings at all. I'm generally terrible at traditional shmups. You might have noticed I didn't post in the 1943 thread either...well that was because I couldn't even do anything at all in it (although that time I was playing with a keyboard).

Palamedes clicks with me though. It might be the single NES game I'm best at. Even the very first time I played it in the 2013 contest I practiced enough to beat Tom Votava's previous Level 1 record (which he also beat that tourney) and I remember almost getting the 18th perfect too which would have put me past him in the contest.

I think the difference between this game and a shmup is that there are only 6 slots as opposed to being able to move all around the screen. In that way it's a puzzle game. Moving around everywhere with enemies all around is guaranteed failure for me.

I usually excel at puzzle games but I did not get any of "mine" this year (unless you count QBert which I would argue is more Arcade anyway). No Yoshi, no Dr. Mario, no Qix, no Palamedes until now. Or even Solomon's Key which has puzzle elements.

Tetris I am decently skilled at but that's a game everyone has played so the competition gets to be too much, especially at a start-of-year contest when the participation is higher...and I started to get Tetrisvision really bad in my sleep that week so I had to stop playing for my own sanity.

I didn't think I would be able to perfect clear level 9 honestly. It took me quite a bit to even clear 8. On level 9 you have to be fast, not make any mistakes, and get a semi-favourable board. I would imagine level 10 is the same only your board has to be extremely favorable.

As much as I want to improve on this score it would mean having to beat level 9 again. And my score is probably safe...so I'll move on to Adventure Island at this point otherwise I'm wasting time. Unfortunately during my AI practice I have been moving very slowly up the learning curve. It's more like Battletoads; slow progress, lots of time-consuming attempts, and not many "breakthroughs."

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:04:47 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta

lol that's what I thought at first but then I went and counted...yep, we're 2-58. I only beat you in Golf and Lunar Pool.

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:08:19 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Going to give Palamedes a try tonight for the first time ever tonight, but eh, I am in no mood for video games this week and that won't change till Friday at the earliest, at best.
It will be interesting to try playing this high on painkillers, though.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:13:24 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
 This is a bit off topic but wanted to share with you all anyways πŸ˜‹A few days ago my cat Mr. Pickles decided he wanted up on some shelves in my room that happen to house some of my favorite things while I was playing AI and crushing itWell the aftermath was a horrible mess and I should have taken a picture but was way too pissed! I just got around to fixing it and it's better now than it was!

Edited: 11/01/2016 at 02:15 PM by Richardhead

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:23:15 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Originally posted by: mbd39

Yeah dude I just could not get anything going in Legendary Wings at all. I'm generally terrible at traditional shmups. You might have noticed I didn't post in the 1943 thread either...well that was because I couldn't even do anything at all in it (although that time I was playing with a keyboard).

Palamedes clicks with me though. It might be the single NES game I'm best at. Even the very first time I played it in the 2013 contest I practiced enough to beat Tom Votava's previous Level 1 record (which he also beat that tourney) and I remember almost getting the 18th perfect too which would have put me past him in the contest.

I think the difference between this game and a shmup is that there are only 6 slots as opposed to being able to move all around the screen. In that way it's a puzzle game. Moving around everywhere with enemies all around is guaranteed failure for me.

I usually excel at puzzle games but I did not get any of "mine" this year (unless you count QBert which I would argue is more Arcade anyway). No Yoshi, no Dr. Mario, no Qix, no Palamedes until now. Or even Solomon's Key which has puzzle elements.

Tetris I am decently skilled at but that's a game everyone has played so the competition gets to be too much, especially at a start-of-year contest when the participation is higher...and I started to get Tetrisvision really bad in my sleep that week so I had to stop playing for my own sanity.

I didn't think I would be able to perfect clear level 9 honestly. It took me quite a bit to even clear 8. On level 9 you have to be fast, not make any mistakes, and get a semi-favourable board. I would imagine level 10 is the same only your board has to be extremely favorable.

As much as I want to improve on this score it would mean having to beat level 9 again. And my score is probably safe...so I'll move on to Adventure Island at this point otherwise I'm wasting time. Unfortunately during my AI practice I have been moving very slowly up the learning curve. It's more like Battletoads; slow progress, lots of time-consuming attempts, and not many "breakthroughs."

I am getting better. After much practice I can now get three perfects on level 5 difficulty and I used to not be able to get one. I feel myself improving and not having the same level of frustration I had with Mario Bros. And I actually enjoy practicing this. It's addictive. I at least want to put up a score of over 200k which I should be able to do.

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:31:49 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

This is some bullshit

I pray to god mbd beats both of us and you go down with me!

Edited: 11/01/2016 at 02:32 PM by Brock Landers

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:34:01 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
On my last run I was one dice away from getting four perfects.

Nov 1, 2016 at 2:42:16 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

lol that's what I thought at first but then I went and counted...yep, we're 2-58. I only beat you in Golf and Lunar Pool.

I beat him at Wrecking Crew and Lunar Pool.

I also came within a hair of beating him at Isolated Warrior. I believe I died once at the final boss wich cost me some points.