Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NES Play Action Football -CAN possible variant?

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:10:16 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Long story short - I just noticed in the code on my dupe cart that instead of NES-NB-CAN, it reads "NBS-NB-CAN"...does this error occur on the US version as well, or just on -CAN carts...also, was this typo fixed? The copy in my collection has the same error, so I'm not sure if it was reprinted or not.

-------------------------

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:33:43 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I'll check all my copies tonight -- I just got a CIB -CAN one from discountgames, so I'll thank that too. I have two -USA variations for that one as well.

-Dain

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:46:05 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Wow, my -CAN version has "NBS" as well. Damn, bro, you have some seriously good eyes. I had to squint to see that, and would have otherwise never noticed. I checked my two -USA versions, and both say "NES". I also checked my 3 dupe carts -- same thing. So, it looks like it was only the -CAN region that had the misprint. BTW, do you have a -CAN version that's correct as well?

-Dain

Mar 3, 2007 at 12:36:13 AM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
Originally posted by: DainBTW, do you have a -CAN version that's correct as well?
-Dain

That's the question, really. Anybody who's reading this, check your -CAN cart(s) and see if the "NES" prefix exists. If not, NBS-NB-CAN should be the official code for that game (in that region) in the database.

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:33:36 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
I agree, and once the verdict is in, I'll either change the code or add the corrected value as a variation of the misprint in addition to changing the code (since it would be the original I'd imagine). This reminds me of Batman: Return of the Joker, where the code was misprinted in the US and later fixed abroad:

http://www.nintendoage.com/ind...=NES.Game&Game_ID=143

It's the only 3-character cart code (NES-P48-USA) which was later corrected as NES-48-YYY in other regions.

-Dain

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:59:27 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I don't have the game, but I do have the box and manual. They are both correct for what that is worth. How I ended up with a box for a -CAN game that I don't have I will never know.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:04:44 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
I meant to note in my post last night that the misprint seems to be only on the cart. My box and manual show the correct code.

-Dain

Mar 3, 2007 at 1:37:23 PM
jbholio (5)
(JB Martin) < Crack Trooper >
Quebec
I checked my copy of NES Play Action Football and it's also NBS-NB-CAN

Mar 3, 2007 at 2:24:57 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Jason, I have a spare -CAN cart if you want, trade it for a common cart or box if you're interested.

As for the misprint, it's possible that it was fixed in a -1 variation...the game was in print for some time, so it's quite possible that this fix would exist...

Oh, and my eyes are shit...only reason I spotted it is because I was listing the code on my GameTZ list...had to really squint, and I did a double take...

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:09:17 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
I will take it for sure Wiz. I just got a bunch of dups so I am sure I have something you need. I will email you my list later, if I dont remind me.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:06:05 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Sounds good bro

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:51:07 PM
Dr. Morbis (30)
(Basil T) < Kraid Killer >
Alberta
Originally posted by: jbholio

I checked my copy of NES Play Action Football and it's also NBS-NB-CAN

I just checked mine too; same verdict.

My mantra, as worded by SamSpade on 06/12/12:
I don't resell to fund my collection, I don't treat this hobby like a second job, I don't care if my collection is worth ten bucks or ten thousand because I never plan on selling it. Seriously, what does the value have to do with anything if you never plan on selling? Speculation doesn't mean jack shit to me at this point, I just want to play my nes games...

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:13:54 AM
michiganfan2 (123)
(Mike Pitsch) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
I just checked mine too; same verdict.

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:04:44 PM
jbholio (5)
(JB Martin) < Crack Trooper >
Quebec
I checked all my other -CAN games to see if the mistake was made on other games but it seems that Play Action Football is the only one. Three of my games are not in the NintendoAge database. I just realized that I have more -CAN games than I thought :

Dr. Mario: NES-VU-CAN
Final Fantasy: NES-FF-CAN
Golf: CAN
Gyromite: NES-GY-CAN
Gyromite: CAN
Hogan's Alley: NES-HA-CAN
Kirby's Adventure (french): NES-K5-CAN-1
Legend of Zelda: NES-ZL-CAN
Metroid: NES-MT-CAN
Open Tournament Golf: NES-UG-CAN
Pin-Bot: NES-IO-CAN
Play Action Football: NBS-NB-CAN
Punch-Out!: NES-QP-CAN (not in NA database)
Snake Rattle N Roll: NES-RJ-CAN
Star Tropics: NES-OC-CAN
Star Tropics II: Zoda's Revenge : NES-6C-CAN-1 (not in NA database)
Super Mario Bros: CAN
Super Mario Bros - Duck Hunt: NES-MH-CAN
Super Mario Bros 2: NES-MW-CAN
Super Mario Bros 3: NES-UM-CAN
Super Spike V'Ball : ??? the label is torn where the code is
Tetris: NES-EI-CAN
Yoshi: NES-YM-CAN-1 (not in NA database)
Zelda II - Adventure of Link: NES-AL-CAN