Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"CIB" Noob Question +Manuals, boxes and what not...

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:30:48 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
So just a question about what it means to actually be a CIB game.... I mean, I come across manuals every so often, so does it matter when it gets paired up with a cartridge it wasn't originally with? This extends to boxes.

I mean, obviously this somewhat of a ridiculous question because to keep the manulas with their original games would be quite a feat. So, if I get a "CIB" game, is there any way to tell if the cartridge/manual/box all came together originally?

I'm not really into the collecting scene, moreso into the playing and accumulating scene.

Forgive the questions but I figured could be a good start for "new" collectors. Haha, me?

Also, who's got some insight into booklets upping the resale value on the carts themselves? Obviously they're harder to find and having them is actually useful for the game, but I've found it interesting to see how much having the booklets and boxes actually ups the value. What about the inserts? ie. The foam and cardboard holding the games.

-------------------------

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:10:31 AM
Ipsylos (25)

(Nintendrone ) < King Solomon >
Ontario
CIB can mean two things depending on who you ask. It technically mean Cart Instructions Box, but others refer to it as Complete In Box, usually meaning cart, instructions, box, maps/posters, etc. Most CIB ames are just Cart, Instructions, Box, but others like a lot of RPGs came with a map or an item sheet of some sort, and some games came with a poster. Some posters were found in multiple games, others are specific to that one game.

I'm not sure if there's a way to tell if it is all originally together or pieced. Most I guarantee you are pieced together seeing as lots of boxes were chucked, same with manuals, but more so the boxes. You can always look up certain things on the net and find out if there's differences between 1st print runs of CIB games and later print runs. Some have corrections to words like Final Fantasy 7, so have a slightly different color or word font, all depends really. Most remain the same throughout their print run with obvious exceptions like Player's Choice games which are distinctly different than their earlier releases. Manuals would be the hardest since they usually never change.

Books/Boxes/Maps/Posters, etc all have an impact on the value of your item(s). Some more so than others, like a sports box/manuals usually never fetches you more than a few bucks to the game. But a box for a game like EVO, Super Mario World, Stadium Events, etc. Ups the value immensely. Some instruction manuals are worth more than boxes. Usually not the case since the box is more desired, but for certain games (can't think of any right now) their manuals are the difference between a $40 game and a $200 game and manual. The pamphlets aren't really valuable at all since there's plenty out there and lets face it, how many collector's care about them compared to manuals and boxes? Foam blocks for NES games are preferred since it makes everything fit and the cart doesn't wobble around in the box, creating more wear, same with trays for N64/SNES games.

Good luck and hope this give a bit of insight on collecting and such.

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:23:37 AM
Aatos (78)
(Eero loves NTSC!) < Meka Chicken >
Finland
Originally posted by: Ipsylos

Usually not the case since the box is more desired, but for certain games (can't think of any right now) their manuals are the difference between a $40 game and a $200 game and manual. 
Usually this applies especially for games that were rentals only as the manuals were first to be destroyed. I suppose N64's Sculptor's Cut is a prime example of a game where the manual is the most expensive piece by far (+$500?).

Regarding the trays for SNES/N64 or the foam blocks for NES, "reproductions" of these are widely available in some collector's stores and as such have little impact on the game's value as far as I'm concerned - I haven't seen anyone demanding/caring whether the insert would be authentic/original. I most certainly don't care.

It's been a long time since I realized, I'm not building a great collection, but a great library. 

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:16:13 AM
Ipsylos (25)

Ontario
"Excuse me sir, but this precaution booklet isn't the original one, I'm going to have to knock $50 off the original price."

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:07:35 AM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
A lot of eBay sellers don't use cib properly as many collectors see it. I tend to agree with ipsylos and what he said that it has two meanings. Personally, if I say cib, it has the map or poster too. A lot of sellers say cib and its missing the map. So best bet if you want a complete item do a little research on what makes it complete. We may all know Zelda 1 came with a hint book and map but no so many know that magic of scherazerade has a map too.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:07:05 AM
Soera (164)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Oklahoma
CIB does not mean complete in box. It means cartridge instructions box ... when you used to buy things way back in the day, it would have a little checkbox (just like the ones on the collection manager here) with a C I B at the top.

There is no way to tell if the box and instructions you have are the original with the game you have. They were mass produced and slapped together.

Maps, inserts, styrofoam, etc are all additional when it comes to a complete item. Most NES RPGs for example used to come with maps. Those would not be considered in CIB but would be considered in a complete.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:08:21 AM
Indigo_Streetlight (48)
(John Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Maryland
Manuals are generally more common than boxes and value often depends upon how difficult they are to find and quality of the title. An interesting example is Super Mario World, even though the box is hard to find and the game is good, there's enough manuals floating around to make the value of those as low as $1-3 dollars. Conversely a lot of the desirable manuals will be for the $20+ games (Castlevania 4, Super Metroid, etc.) and RPGs with full color art and hefty page counts.

That night the Captain’s granddaughter
Would celebrate her birthday
“I’ve come a long way,” said the Captain,
“From Lost Christabel this night.
Accompanied by my dog familiar,
To blast your rafters with my surprise.
Granddaughter, It’s a foreign mirror
Taken from the jungle by crime!”

~ Blue Oyster Cult - Magna of Illusion

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:35:10 AM
Fierce Deity (0)
(Fierce Deity) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
CIB= Cartridge, Instructions, Box
CIB= Complete in Box
CIB= Closed in Box [beware when buying from using saying "Closed in Box"]
NIB= New in Box [100% Brand New - Unused. Just as good as factory sealed]

When I say "CIB"-I'm personally saying CIB as "Complete in Box", but of course it original Cartridge Instruction[s] Box. The reasoning behind that is that everything I collect doesn't come with a cartridge and could come in a box lol. So people use Complete in Box from time to time.

So for instance if my -Legend of Zelda: The Four Swords with the GBA cable bundle- was opened [not factory sealed], but never used. That would be "NIB" [New in Box] aka Brand New-Unused. The Japanese Version of the LoZ: Four swords bundle cannot be purchased factory sealed so it would be "NIB". If it was "used" then it would be CIB - Complete in Box, since it isn't technically new. However, the bundle does not contain a cartridge. Get it? People use for CIB-Complete in Box for many games and items that doesn't necessarily come with a Cartridge, instruction Manual or Box.

The reason I say beware of sellers who use the term "Closed in Box" is because I've heard and read problems with the term. Sellers would use "CIB" meaning Closed in Box. Sometimes not even stating "Closed in Box" in the listing at all...just "CIB". Once purchased and you receive the game\item you'll notice that everything is not "CIB" [Cartridge, Instruction, Box or Cmplete in Box to our standards]!!!! So some slick ass sellers used "Closed in Box" because the item[s] they are selling are not incomplete. Could be missing a instruction manual or items thatthe game came with like posters\maps etc. On the worse occasion the actual game could be missing. Don't get me wrong some people don't know this, so everyone isn't a bad guy. Some people 100% know this and are just lying.

I don't think you can tell if a game contains the original manual that it was purchased with. Especially since cartridges, boxes and manuals get traded all of the time. One way you could tell is by the condition of the manual and game. If the box+cartridge is in pristine condition and the manual [and other items in the box] are in terrible condition; then you can make an assumption that they mix and match. Some people can tell by the revision numbers I think [Players Choice manual with a Black Label title]. Since no one can tell most of the time, the most important thing to do is to get the items regardless. Or purchase games from a true collector who doesn't trade often. It's not hard to keep the manual with the game. More and more people are just piecing it out for profit. Some people only want a few things from a specific game.

Having all of the items with the game definitely makes the value increase. Not all games value increase a lot. Most people have inserts\foam\phamplets\ads\warranties etc with other games they can careless about. So that's usually not a huge problem. Espeiclly if those items are widely available as well. The extra value depends on the value of the game and the actual collector that will purchase the game. Some people will pay an arm and a leg for somethings.

Edited: 12/23/2012 at 11:40 AM by Fierce Deity

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:42:21 AM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
As long as the manual and box are from the same variant or print run then I don't mind if it's a "franken-CIB" also my definition of CIB is "Cart/CD, Instruction/Insert, Box" anything extra is a plus so a game with a map and extras would be a CIB+

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:47:52 AM
hunterxhunter21 (12)
(Andrew ) < Crack Trooper >
Indiana
If someone tried to sell me something labeled NIB and the factory seal was off I would ask for my money back. Just like driving a new car off the lot or buying a sealed game at gamestop, taking the seal off then trying to trade it in. You are gonna get the used price. If the wrap is off, I don't know if you took it out and played it then just put it back in the box. NIB to me means 100% new, factory sealed.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:49:36 AM
Soera (164)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Oklahoma
Ive never heard anyone use the term closed in box. But then again I dont really look for any cardboard or paper on my collection (other than PS1 games and their paper is the front cover of the CD case).

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:09:27 PM
Ipsylos (25)

Ontario
Lately I've seen a lot of CIB and "complete" on ebay where it's just the cart and box. it confuses me as to what the seller considers "complete" or "CIB". The worst was a few weeks ago where a seller had a Gradius III listed as "sealed in box" because it had the plastic wrap still on it. The bpx itself was opened and the game was used and didn't even come with a damn manual.Frustrated me because I've been looking for the box/manual for a while now since I love that game.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:38:03 PM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Soera

CIB does not mean complete in box. It means cartridge instructions box ... when you used to buy things way back in the day, it would have a little checkbox (just like the ones on the collection manager here) with a C I B at the top.

There is no way to tell if the box and instructions you have are the original with the game you have. They were mass produced and slapped together.

Maps, inserts, styrofoam, etc are all additional when it comes to a complete item. Most NES RPGs for example used to come with maps. Those would not be considered in CIB but would be considered in a complete.

Perhaps they are mass produced and all look the same but more can be said on the matter. If I didn't have a baby on my lap, I'd go to my collection and snap some pics of manual/box variations and match ups. There are revisions, codes, and stars - each pertaining to different release - and often times there is no difference between the two manuals other than the code or star but it can then be matched to the correct box. Also, Mr. Mark was able to conclude that the hang tabless Gyromite came from a specific NES set because it was a pack in, therefore didn't requite the hang tab. Other examples exist as 100's of games have more than 1 revision, sometimes even more than that. All it really takes it finding the list or making one and matching things up. When you have 2-3 of the same manual and notice each has a different code, it begins to make more sense.

Edited: 12/23/2012 at 12:39 PM by XYZ

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:42:39 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Originally posted by: Soera

Interpreting CIB as cart/instructions/box seems to be a Nintendo thing. Virtually every other hobby uses CIB as "complete in box".

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:48:03 PM
DJ_Unknown (56)
(Devon Jwaszko) < El Ripper >
British Columbia
CIB to me is Cart, Instructions, Box. CiB is Complete in Box. For my listings at least, i usually check pictures or look for Complete. although most people list complete as cart instruction box as well =p I know all of my CiB collection must be 100% complete, im not so picky about the papers for NP and user manuals but posters and stuff need to be inside the box before i consider it checked off my list. I do love when i get games with all the original papers though, i got a SMRPG that was too nice and complete that didnt have a single save on it. i opened it and checked if it was real it was just too good to be true. but it was true, even had the baggy!

Selling: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Buying: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Need Pokemon Emerald cart! just need white+ black!

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:59:41 PM
Friendsfa26 (0)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Netherlands
for NES,

CIB to me = cart/instructions/box

however some games always come with extra's, such as the legend of zelda which has atleast a map included.
so if you would buy a CIB zelda... it wouldn't count as being CIB unless said map is also included.

for example the european released games Asterix & Star Wars both have a poster inside, so if i see one listed on ebay without the poster then i know it's not complete..

other games just seem to randomly have extras included in the box, so if you bought the same game twice... it doesn't mean that those extras are included in both of em, a good example for this would be the club nintendo cards that can be found in FRA releases... , also early 1985/1986 FAH/FRA released black box games often seem to have a poster with ROB on it included, the later wave(s) of black box releases didn't have that.

asfar as i am aware for US titles, you can simply make your own CIB's by putting together a cart/instructions/box of the same game because unless i am wrong, EVERY title has 1 code only.. for example NES-B5-USA , so this code would also be on the manual and the inside flaps of the box.

for european titles this concept is a little harder as there are multiple country specific releases, i can't just put a HOL cart inside a box which says EEC on the inside flaps and or have an FRA box with an ESP manual...

Collection as of april 29th 2018

- NES Sealed Games Total: 2
- NES NIB/CIB Games Total: 28
- NES Loose Carts Total: 139/366 (incl. label differences)
- NES Manuals Total: 66
- Game Boy Loose Carts Total: 27

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:52:44 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Awesome... Thanks for all the info everyone!! It's nice having a wealth of knowledge concerning NES games/paraphernalia all in one place! I've got some manuals now... I suppose I'll hang onto them and pair them up with some carts I have/find.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"