Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

(Question) (NES) Why Do Collectors Ignore Non Liscensed Games?

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:06:00 AM
Alf Pogs (4)
< Crack Trooper >
California
So.  As my signature states, I just recently dove headfirst back into NES / retro game collecting after about a 10 year absense and one thing I've noticed that I keep wondering about is why everyone basically seems to ignore the unlicensed games. 

It seems like they are basically just, well not ignored, but it seems like most people focus their collection on licensed only.  Why is that?

For me personally, back when I was in my original NES heyday an NES game was an NES game.

I actually used to get pretty excited when I saw one of "them weird looking" games out in the wild.  I didn't really care about whether or not it was licensed. 

My dream is still to have a complete collection, wich includes all games. 

Either way, I'm just curious.  Thanks.

-------------------------
Off and on NES collector since roughly 1996.  Only need a couple more.
Lightly collect other stuff, too. But NES is the only complete set I'll ever try to get and it's only because I got in early.
Full on collector dork who also collect 80's action figures (primarily GI Joes) and comic books. The occasional card as well.

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:15:17 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Tons of us collect unlicensed, not sure where you are getting this "everyone" information from.

In fact, I would say those that are strict licensed only are in the minority. 

www.videogamesage.com...

Edited: 04/03/2016 at 01:16 AM by MrWunderful

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:16:36 AM
MrNESGuy (33)
< Eggplant Wizard >
California
I think it's hard to make a blanket statement. I can say for me (as someone who basically ignores them), I was in a part of the country that didn't ever see any non-licensed game except for the Tengen releases. You never saw those games in Nintendo Powers and rarely in other magazines, so there is little emotional connection to them. I have all of the Tengen games and some of the non-licensed stuff but it's hard to consider them part of the set (at least for me) when I had never seen them until collecting as an adult. (The fact that 99% of them suck doesn't help their case much either!)

Currently searching for the manual for Game Gear Sports Illustrated game.

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:17:23 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
I collect unlicensed. Alot of people do.

For the people that dont imo either want a defined licensed list to go by and dont want to debate what counts, and others imo just dont want to spend the money on them so its easier for them not to count them.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:19:05 AM
Alf Pogs (4)
< Crack Trooper >
California
Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have said "everyone," but it definitely feels that way.

Remember I just got back into this and this question is based off of initial observations returning to this after a decade away. It was an honest question.

Off and on NES collector since roughly 1996.  Only need a couple more.
Lightly collect other stuff, too. But NES is the only complete set I'll ever try to get and it's only because I got in early.
Full on collector dork who also collect 80's action figures (primarily GI Joes) and comic books. The occasional card as well.

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:23:03 AM
Faxanadude (21)
(A Winner Is You) < Kraid Killer >
North Carolina
I only collect liscenced. For me its these reasons.

1. Having attainable goals. It's very motivating to have a set number of games to get. 
2. Its very clear what is and isn't a game and the list isn't up for interpretation.
3. Just because it plays in a nintendo, doesn't mean its a nintendo game.
4. Price is a factor
5. Where do you draw the line between an unliscenced game and a homebrew?
6. Unliscenced stuff is mostly low quality games. 
7. I am just a neat freak and like the way the gray carts all look on a shelf. Nice and uniform format. 

Edited: 04/03/2016 at 01:26 AM by Faxanadude

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:23:15 AM
AlexElectric (4)
< El Ripper >
Alberta
There are lots of people here that collect unlicensed NES games, homebrews, and variations. You'll see some more threads about this stuff just give it more than a week on the forums

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:57:03 AM
dannyplante (60)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Quebec
I collect nealy only homebrew,repr,translation games i even think to sell my liscenced game and buy everdrive,power pack

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:22:46 AM
Wolfman (111)
(E-vard Zadams) < El Ripper >
Alberta
I would think that most full NES set collectors also collect unlicensed, myself included. With unlicensed games have a higher percentage of difficult to obtain and expensive titles, less nostalgia, and generally of lesser play quality, I can see why some folks chose to keep focus on the already difficult task of full licensed set.

I enjoy the coloured carts, different designs; something different and more obscure.

Aaaaaaa-Whoooooooooooooooooooo

Lots good to trade! > Click Here <

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:29:50 AM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
Unlicensed meaning Tengen and such right? Not homebrews?

I have a few unlicensed games. Like...two...seriously. I find them hard to...find. I don't avoid them...I just can't find them. I like unlicensed games because they often have weird colored carts.

I also have some repros/hacks. I think I own one for the NES...the rest are SNES and other systems.

I avoid homebrews because of the price. I'd get them...if they were priced cheaper.

But I am focused on getting licensed mainly. After a nearly full set of licensed, I might go after unlicensed. But again...hard to find them.

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:52:32 AM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
I didnt collect unlicensed for the longest time because they would not work on my nes. I imagine that and the fact that there are several bad games is the reason most folks dont care aboot them.

Playas Guide Logo

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:57:25 AM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
I've been contemplating collecting unlicensed. I know I wouldn't ever finish the "set" of 91 because there several I would never buy but there are a few odd balls I want. Right now I don't own any unlicensed.

May the force be with you.

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:01:11 AM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
Other
Originally posted by: Foochie776

Right now I don't own any unlicensed.

Not even Tengen? The black Tengen set is a very easy subset to complete. Plus, many great but often overlooked titles!

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:04:41 AM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

Originally posted by: Foochie776

Right now I don't own any unlicensed.

Not even Tengen? The black Tengen set is a very easy subset to complete. Plus, many great but often overlooked titles!

Like I said, I want to get some because as you mentioned Tengen would be an easy subset to do. I've had them all before except Shinobi I want some Color Dreams game too. They look so odd and just fun lol

May the force be with you.

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:39:49 AM
MAIL_BAG (151)
(Rip ) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Probably ocd.

Apr 3, 2016 at 7:55:42 AM
Sydpinkfloyd (3)

< Cherub >
Newfoundland
I would collect unlicensed carts if it's something at I would actually play, but that goes for licensed carts as well. I don't discriminate between the two.

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:00:30 AM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
I'm on the opposite spectrum where I find the unlicensed games a lot more interesting and fun to collect. I'm down to the end thou with just a couple big hitters and some color dreams variants left. I think the draw was part of the unique history of all the unlicensed game companies and how they got started, plus the carts and boxes are way cooler!

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

Apr 3, 2016 at 9:09:09 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
K.Thrower (120)
(Kenny Boy) < Master Higgins >
Colorado
Unlicensed is the spice of NES life.

Ready for adventure!
www.watagames.com...

Apr 3, 2016 at 9:19:05 AM
Pheidian (14)
< Meka Chicken >
Finland
For me it is just a target I have set for my collection. I have nothing against unlicensed, but i decided early on to focus on games and accessories approved by Nintendo (With The seal). So a simple decision without too deep philosophy.

Collecting licensed NES games: 710 of 711 - DONE! (Mah Jong Missing)

Apr 3, 2016 at 9:38:20 AM
Ryder4864 (196)

(Michael D) < Kraid Killer >
Pennsylvania
The only unlicensed games that I'm set on getting are Tengen. Mostly because Tengen eventually obtained licenses for their games. If I find the other unlicensed games at reasonable prices (and CIB of course) I'll buy them.

Everything is better CIB.

Apr 3, 2016 at 9:43:48 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Well I collect for nostalgia and unlicensed doesn't do it for me. I did have some Tengen games though, so I collect those. I also appreciate the Panesian games for their uniqueness, but everything else is forgettable to me. Unlicensed was basically gone by SNES and I think that has hurt their longevity as a collectible. If there were a handful of decent unlicensed games on every platform I bet they'd be more popular.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Apr 3, 2016 at 9:57:22 AM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: MrNESGuy

I think it's hard to make a blanket statement. I can say for me (as someone who basically ignores them), I was in a part of the country that didn't ever see any non-licensed game except for the Tengen releases. You never saw those games in Nintendo Powers and rarely in other magazines, so there is little emotional connection to them. I have all of the Tengen games and some of the non-licensed stuff but it's hard to consider them part of the set (at least for me) when I had never seen them until collecting as an adult. (The fact that 99% of them suck doesn't help their case much either!)

oh is that how it works? Cool I guess stadium events, f2 and little Samson don't count for me. I have no emotional attachment to those and I've never seen them when I was a kid

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Edited: 04/03/2016 at 09:57 AM by Bort License Plate

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:06:27 AM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I think licensed is easy to define, so it's something to shoot for. If you start to include unlicensed, you have to set parameters and it gets messy.

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:17:50 AM
rockyyaknow (79)
(Dave ) < El Ripper >
New Hampshire
The only one I have is Rolling Thunder because its one of my all time favorite games. Other than that I don't have any others. But then again I have no interest in obtaining a whole set, just the games I enjoy.

My NES no death runs

Mega Man 1   6/29/18   00:43:30   Mega Man 2   5/10/18   00:46:08   Mega Man 2   8/18/18   00:43:35 (difficult)   
Mega Man 3   6/25/18   01:13:32   Mega Man 4   6/02/18   01:23:13   Mega Man 5   6/17/18   01:01:09
Mega Man 6   6/22/18   01:09:55   Mega Man 7   7/18/18   01:19:09   Mega Man In the Mushroom Kingdom 7/01/18  00:40:50
Duck Tales     1/05/19   00:15:49   Chip n Dale    1/06/19   00:16:18   Duck Tales 2  1/09/19   00:23:18

Mega Man X   8/28/18   01:39:02   Mega Man x2  9/01/18   01:27:32  Mega Man x3  9/12/18   01:46:40
Mega Man 11 6/24/19   01:00:31

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:23:18 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: jonebone

Well I collect for nostalgia and unlicensed doesn't do it for me. I did have some Tengen games though, so I collect those. I also appreciate the Panesian games for their uniqueness, but everything else is forgettable to me. Unlicensed was basically gone by SNES and I think that has hurt their longevity as a collectible. If there were a handful of decent unlicensed games on every platform I bet they'd be more popular.
While this is true for the Nintendo consoles (SNES had very few unlicensed games, N64 had none I guess), in the larger scope, it is quite far from truth.  Sega Mega Drive was the next mecca for unlicensed games, and I would suspect just as many unlicensed games (if not more) were released for MD / Genesis as for NES.  And if we throw portables into the mix, there were tons of unlicensed games developed for all versions of the Game Boy, up through the Advance.  Not all of those were just by Taiwanese outfits either, some were from the UK, etc.  

A lot of people deny it, but I still feel it is an issue of price.  10 or 15 years ago, there were very few people talking about "going for sets" and excluding the unlicensed games, but as the OP posted, now a lot of people are opting for this choice.  I find this to be a shame, and as a few other "pro unlicensed" collectors have mentioned, I consider those products to be the spice in the collection.  Nudity, violence/blood/gore, swasticas (okay probably actually the Hindu symbol), bad language, etc can be found in those games.  

I personally feel that the unlicensed games are misunderstood and nowadays they aren't given a fair shake.  Here's some of the reasons I've heard against collecting those games:

-Most of the games suck.  
What about the Codemasters games?  They were good, for the most part.  Same with Tengen.  What about some of the puzzle games (Shockwave, Dudes with Attitude, Krazy Kreatures, Tiles of Fate, etc)?  They were also fun.  What about Solitaire and Blackjack?  I haven't played those games in ages, but unless someone screwed up something terribly with them, I just don't see the suck factor either, over other games of a similar nature that is.  And if we look at ALL of the unlicensed games worldwide, there are some that are in the same league as some of the popular licensed titles.

-Nostalgia
I didn't know about unlicensed games until about 1998 or so, the only thing I knew prior to then was Game Genie and a few unlicensed controllers.  At the same time though, I also didn't know Stadium Events, Flintstones 2, etc.  Later when I began collecting unlicensed games, I went back through my brother's stash of gaming magazines and a lot of them did feature reviews of unlicensed games, alongside the licensed stuff.  

-Uniformity
Sure, the unlicensed games don't look the same as the licensed stuff.  But what about the two Zelda carts?  They aren't the same either, being golden in color.  What about the various colored Game Boy carts?  Why does Tengen receive a pardon by so many people?  And finally, what about stuff like Mega Man 6, why does the (common) version get a pass in so many collections, when the box isn't uniform with the rest of the series?  Etc, etc.  

There is a lot of misinformation and excuses thrown around by those who don't collect unlicensed games.  I believe that people should collect whatever they see fit, but at the same time, I think some of the wrong information just needs to stop being spread.

Edit:  If you aren't going for a complete set, then the whole thing is a moot point.  But if you are going for a complete set, some points (like nostalgia), did you really have nostalgia for Barbie?!  Lol.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Edited: 04/03/2016 at 10:24 AM by fcgamer