Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Feel like a Nintendo World Champion for a fraction of the cost! Part 2

May 30, 2007 at 4:56:36 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania

The enormous, daunting original NWC 1990 PCB

Continued from the front page...

What is Brian Parker's motivation for his constant innovation, up to and including the impending release of the Nintendo World Championship 1990 repro cartridge? "Because I can I love doing hardware projects and the NES is perfect because I can understand all levels of it. For this project my gold cart was very popular with my friends so they also wanted their own without paying thousands. Instead of just a repro I like making complete games so it had to have real plastics, original label, and manual."

The development time for this cartridge was remarkably brief, "Development of the standalone board started mid March...A lot of hardware development time is just waiting to get PCBs." Brian's initial development time for the NWC repro cartridge was a brief two days before he had finalized and ordered the prototype PCB (Printed Circuit Board). Only a few weeks later, he was able put his order in for the finalized 'guts' of the cartridge, which arrived April 20th. In the meantime, he's been busy soldering chips, printing labels and manuals, and molding cases for the games.

A picture of the earlier prototype NWC repro board

"None of my products will ever use donor carts or boards," reflects Brian. "People seem to be content with just rewiring old boards for repros and homebrews. That obviously will not work with the added chips the NWC needs. All my ideas are based on making completely new hardware so no old games are destroyed. With the Ciclones and new cart plastics available the only reason to use old games is lower price at the expensive of lots more labor."

The Ciclone is a chip available at Brian's own "RetroZone:" http://www.retrousb.com - It was designed by Kevtris, and is named after and emulates the small CIC chip found in every licensed NES game. This is the infamous "lockout" chip, which has recently been reverse engineered from a Tengen CIC chip by the gurus at nesdev.parodius.com, and is used in the upcoming NWC repro so that it operates on your own NES toaster. The simulation of this chip was the object of much controversy in the 80's and 90's as unlicensed game companies tried to bypass Nintendo's proprietary lock on its console, both legally and technologically. Solving this problem was a large step towards the production of this and other NES cartridges, yet other problems stood in the way.

One of the largest obstacles to this project was the unique way in which the original NWC cartridge kept track of memory, specifically the competition time countdown. "There is no modification to the NWC program," says Brian, "The square center [chip] is the reprogrammable CPLD that holds the mapper logic which is mostly the timer." In short, he's condensed the logic of the massive original board down to this new, cost- and size-efficient design.

The final board as it will be released

There are a few noteworthy differences between Brian's repro NWC and the original. "The cart will work on top loader systems where the original might not. It will also work on PAL systems." Because of the lack of the characteristic inset dip-switches, he notes "the time is permanently set to the ~6:21 contest time (longer on PAL systems)." Another important difference is the inclusion of a color game manual, designed by Rob Budrick, which will include exclusive contributions from former World Champion Thor Ackerlund and runner-up Rich Ambler.

For all potential customers, Brian plans to unveil his creation some time this evening (Wesnesday, May 30th 2007) at his website http://www.RetroUSB.com for immediate sale. "...There is no waiting list, no reservations," he promises. "There will be about 20 available on the first day, then about 25 more when I get more Ciclones. After that I will have to see about getting more boards produced. Each cart is being hand numbered on the label and board." Although no price was available at time of publishing, assuredly that information will be widely known in just a few short hours.

Thanks to Brian Parker for his generous and detailed information about the NWC repro project. This article may not, in portion or in its entirety, be copied, rehosted or quoted without the consent of the author, Dan Langevin (Dangevin@[NOSPAMREMOVE]verizon.net). Information in this article is correct to the knowledge of the author as of 5/30/07.

NintendoAGE users please feel free to discuss this article in this thread!

-------------------------

Edited: 05/30/2007 at 06:46 PM by dangevin

May 30, 2007 at 5:31:09 PM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I can NOT wait to get my hands on one of these. I have literally had the RetroUSB site up all day and hitting refresh every few minutes.

Awesome article!

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

May 30, 2007 at 6:21:46 PM
Battymo (100)
(Scrubb'n Nutz) < King Solomon >
Nova Scotia
Yeah... my F5 key is getting worn out too!

May 30, 2007 at 6:24:48 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
My poor f5 key hates me as well. I bet I have refreshed 1000 times today, prob more than that.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

May 30, 2007 at 6:44:28 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Awesome article, Dan!

I felt this game was more than worthy of it's own spot in the database:

http://www.nintendoage.com/ind...=NES.Game&Game_ID=3360

May 30, 2007 at 6:55:33 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Thanks guys. As you can tell from the massive amount of quotation though, Brian did a lot of the hard work for me I just asked the questions and organized the info. One small edit: more info on the Ciclone, also giving Kevtris his proper respect.

/reload...reload...reload

May 30, 2007 at 7:56:51 PM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
The NWC is amazing, but aso that he has new NES cases and boards. I think this is a first for nes homebrew. It usually takes a good bit of cash to get molds, boards and chips made. Mucho kudos to starting up the nes homebrew seen. How long till we see a specific board sudoku, in a colored case

May 31, 2007 at 1:56:41 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
And away we go, 1:52 am EST they're up...

May 31, 2007 at 2:33:58 AM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
And 2:19 they're gone! Congrats, Brian, under 1/2 hour

May 31, 2007 at 3:04:28 AM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Under 1/2 hour, at 2 IN THE MORNING!

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

May 31, 2007 at 5:59:08 AM
Battymo (100)
(Scrubb'n Nutz) < King Solomon >
Nova Scotia
And to think... us guys on the east coast were sleeping... *sour grapes*

May 31, 2007 at 6:23:49 AM
michiganfan2 (123)
(Mike Pitsch) < Meka Chicken >
Michigan
My Pay Pal receipt shows 2:19am. I must have grabbed the last one.

May 31, 2007 at 7:59:44 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
And to think... us guys on the east coast were sleeping... *sour grapes*

Not all of us were. I know me and burnambill are both east coast guys and we fought the the heavy eyes to get one. I honest to good felt like I waited in lines for 15 hours to get a new console at launch. The feeling I had right after I got it was 10x better than the feeling I got when I picked up my Wii, I guess cause how often do we get to pick up a brand new NES item. Bunnyboy you sure did create an amazing buzz around these be releasing them they way you did.
~~NGD

May 31, 2007 at 12:37:25 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Yep I was just about to lose hope. I had been up way later than I thought it would be, but I kept telling myself "I'm not quitting now!" I had to blow off my wife, who wanted to go out shopping and instead I talked her into watching TV. After she turned in at midnight, I popped in Greg the Bunny and watched some of that. I can't describe the feeling other than "ultimate-double-take-gasm" when the screen finally showed the cartridge, I was only half-watching the screen and mindlessly hitting reload. It was surreal, I wondered how long I might have been hitting reload before I noticed (kind of like when you're sitting at a stoplight and you're not completely paying attention, then you look squarely at it and it's green, but you didn't see it change).

May 31, 2007 at 12:49:56 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Its amazing with the production quality put into tis, not to mention the sheer desirability of this cart, that it sold for only $45.00! Did he even cover his costs? Do you think he will get any more produced?

May 31, 2007 at 3:55:47 PM
albailey (55)
(Al Bailey) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
Originally posted by: udisi

The NWC is amazing, but aso that he has new NES cases and boards. I think this is a first for nes homebrew. It usually takes a good bit of cash to get molds, boards and chips made. Mucho kudos to starting up the nes homebrew seen. How long till we see a specific board sudoku, in a colored case

As soon as I finish the music and update the label and manual.  It would help if I had any musical ability.  I think I'll just use a public domain song.

Al

My Gameboy collection  97% complete.          My N64 collection   88% complete

My Gamecube collection  99% complete        My NES collection   97% complete

Jun 5, 2007 at 2:19:25 AM
marvelus10 (46)

( . ) Boobies ( . ) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
Wow I missed the first batch and now I cant sleep at night waiting for the next.

My refresh key is going to break I know it.

Jun 5, 2007 at 2:56:31 AM
MarioMania (10)
(Danny Scalero) < El Ripper >
California
I hope to god he has more in late July/August..I'm not planning to blow that much yet...I have to get other thing's

How can I contact the Guy who made it

Jun 5, 2007 at 11:58:38 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Bunnyboy is his handle, he lurks about this boards a great deal, send him a pm. Your best bet would just to snag one off his site that is listed all over NA and buy one that way.
~~NGD

Jun 5, 2007 at 1:06:10 PM
MarioMania (10)
California
Cool..What's his Handle on DP..Like I said I can't buy it til Late July/August

Jun 5, 2007 at 1:27:10 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
No clue, prob the same I guess. I am not a DP fan.
~~NGD

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:46:22 PM
CartoonEncyclopedia.com (0)

(Ibrahim ) < Crack Trooper >
New York
just curious if anyone knows or has asked

is the cartridge case swappable with a gold zelda cartridge ? (i'm guessing most likely)
and can you request for the label not to be applied to the game and receive the label sticker with its backing ?

since I just read this article
I want one too...lol

i'd like it in a gold cartridge and willing to modify it myself and
i'd like to keep the nostalgic feeling of the rare gold cartridge

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:57:05 PM
MarioMania (10)
California
I asked that question on DP..I got a rude answer

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:57:29 PM
dangevin (219)
Pennsylvania
Probably because of the implications that come with the answer...

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:30:03 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
and that fact there are a tons of jerks over at DP. The bad out weigh the good x 10 fold IMO.
~~NGD