Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Laserdisc Problem

May 15 at 12:09:49 PM
wesofthedead (2)
(wes arszyla) < Meka Chicken >
Connecticut
Not video game related but i thought maybe someone here might have an answer. I have a sony laserdisc player that plays both sides of the disc, the problem is after about 10 minutes of play it messes up and starts to skip, this happens with any disc i put into it. It also seemed to leave laser burn on one of my discs. I really want to fix this thing, its way smaller and more conveinent that my other laserdisc problem which also has some issues, but im not very repair savy

May 15 at 1:59:44 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Other
laser burn or is the lens hitting the disc and marking it as the disc spins?
Its been forever since I messed with a LD player...but sounds like an adjustment may be needed with the lens or if there is a spindle adjust that, and very well could be the laser is dying.

-------------------------

May 15 at 2:51:55 PM
wesofthedead (2)
Connecticut
im not too sure, i plan on opening it up tonight and see whats actually going on in there while its playing, i will report back after i do that

May 15 at 7:55:28 PM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
I recently got a laserdisc player for the first time maybe two weeks ago? Know nothing about it so I can't be of much help but...do your players sound like...super loud when playing a disc? I know this stuff is old but this is really loud sounding...worried about it.

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

May 16 at 8:14:18 PM
Duke.Togo (114)
(Christopher Cantrell) < Kraid Killer >
Indiana
LaserDiscs spin at very high RPM, so they are usually a bit loud. Not necessarily an issue.

May 17 at 8:57:41 AM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other
Is the disc warped?

I have one loud disc and it's warped slightly.

lay the disc flat on a table and see if it is perfectly flat or has a slight warp to it.

May 17 at 12:32:54 PM
wesofthedead (2)
Connecticut
Originally posted by: MuNKeY

laser burn or is the lens hitting the disc and marking it as the disc spins?
Its been forever since I messed with a LD player...but sounds like an adjustment may be needed with the lens or if there is a spindle adjust that, and very well could be the laser is dying.
i thought i replied to this but i guess i didnt, so i took the top off and tried to see what was going on. when i put a cd in, it played it fine, maybe just a little audio issure but it could have also been my tv, but then i tried putting another cd and it didnt play it. I put the cd in that worked before and it wouldnt play that again either. So I put the laserdisc in and automatically after it loaded the video it was like it was playing the video at very fast speed. The laser moved up the disc really fast and you could see the video was playing in basically fast forward mode. Once it got to the end of the disc it lowered it again like it does when the movie is done. It did sound pretty loud while doing all this too, could maybe the fast forward function on it be stuck or something? When it played the cd it wasnt acting like that which is also weird. I also tried multiple discs and it the same thing happened every time

May 17 at 12:34:13 PM
wesofthedead (2)
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Astor Reinhardt

I recently got a laserdisc player for the first time maybe two weeks ago? Know nothing about it so I can't be of much help but...do your players sound like...super loud when playing a disc? I know this stuff is old but this is really loud sounding...worried about it.

neither of mine are very loud with the top on but with the top off they are pretty loud because of how fast they spin, but they are not like Dreamcast loud lol

May 17 at 11:34:41 PM
Nes Freak (31)
(Dave ) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
i used to have tons of laser dask. i i sold it all o ebay a few years ago cause i didnt have the space. you could try cleaning the laser with Windex and a q tip

May 26 at 11:22:05 AM
Natty Bumppo (1)
< El Ripper >
Colorado
Sony laserdisc players are notorious* for their lasers going out of alignment which can cause various problems. You are probalby better off looking for a pioneer player - they were much more reliable.

*I don't give them a second look when I see one in a thrift store.

"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"

-----------------------------------------------

"Dirac Angestun Gesept"  wants you!!  

Jun 11 at 4:51:51 PM
wesofthedead (2)
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Natty Bumppo

Sony laserdisc players are notorious* for their lasers going out of alignment which can cause various problems. You are probalby better off looking for a pioneer player - they were much more reliable.

*I don't give them a second look when I see one in a thrift store.
lol my other player is a Pioneer and it has problems too, i cant win with these things

Jun 11 at 11:02:32 PM
Natty Bumppo (1)
< El Ripper >
Colorado
Not all Pioneers were great units either* - I bought two of the very first dvd/laser combos they made brand new and they both screwed up within a few years. And even a good machine will eventually develop problems - I have several stashed away and when one dies I just replace it with another. (These are all thrift store finds - I managed to get one for one dollar once.)

*Your odds are much better though with a pioneer over a sony.

"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"

-----------------------------------------------

"Dirac Angestun Gesept"  wants you!!