Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Ebay Charging Sales Tax Now (If you're a buyer in NY/WA/more) Will it affect your buying/collecting from there?

Oct 02 at 4:00:23 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Andy_Bogomil

Originally posted by: dra600n

Stop calling the conversion rate a tax. It's not. You have the same problem if you're going to buy from Europe because the CAD isn't strong right now. That's literally where all of your "taxes" are really coming from, and it's not a tax.

I understand it's not a tax and I never called it that. The high shipping cost, local tax, and GSP have nothing to do with the conversion rate - I simply stated them in CAD. The only thing that the $160 CAD in taxes and fees has to do with conversion is the small premium the bank out PP charges to exchange currency. I'm not trying to paint a worse picture by putting it in CAD it just is what it is at the moment. In the early 2010s our dollar was at par but the shipping costs and GSP were still high... They just hurt a little more now s since the exchange rate sucks.
Fair enough

-------------------------
Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 10/02/2019 at 04:00 PM by dra600n

Oct 02 at 11:11:52 PM
GamingSuperHero (24)

(Game Super Hero) < Eggplant Wizard >
Ontario
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

Originally posted by: tbone3969

Originally posted by: GamingSuperHero

The eBay sales tax hit me as well in Canada. Another charge on top of the Pitney Bowes nonsense, conversions and over priced shipping. $100 item=$180-200item after all the nonsense.

Can you show a screenshot of this? I don't believe you're getting 80-100% inflated fees. It's also not ebay sales tax, it's taxed based solely on the state of the sale (where the seller is from). Highest sales tax AFAIK is 7.5%, which is significantly less than your 80-100% increase.
I live in New York and I get whacked 8.875% from sales tax on eBay.

When you purchase from anywhere, or when you buy from someone who lives in NY?

When I googled "highest sales tax", it listed California at 7.5%. Looking at NY's sales tax, the state tax is 4% but NY has this funny clause where it allows counties to add sales tax on top of it, so while 7.5% is technically correct, that doesn't account for unique situations such as NY's.

Does ebay whack you for sales tax from the buyer's location or the seller's?   I've gotten hit with it on transactions from Japan.

Only buyer location should matter.

I think i was angry when i wrote that haha. In Canada, we do get hit really hard when buying stuff from the US through ebay. Its mainly because of the poor dollar conversion, and the rediculous pitney and bowes global shipping program. Sellers using that program transforms a $50US item (15-20 in shipping then 10 in import fees) into an item that can go up to $80US which is about $100cad. I understand the cad dollar is like 70-75% to the us dollar but from a Canadian's perspective its deceiving when you see an item and ur thinking oh its only $50... when its all said and done its almost double that after all the nonsense! Thats just for a flat rate small box as well. Nothing crazy.

I used to only buy stuff if a US seller used USPS for their shipping provider because I could buy things without being dinged up to about $250 and shipping would typically be between $8-15. (side note:The Canadian dollar was also about 90-95% to the US dollar at that time so it wasn't so bad). Now it doesn't make a difference. Biting the bullet has never hurt harder than now.. I'm sure it works the same way for an American buying something from Canada thats if the Canadian priced their items accordingly to
US rates.

As for the taxes... Like i said I think I was angry after I bought something and was a bit clouded hahah To correct myself, I think we only get hit by taxes from stuff in Canada outside our own province. I haven't noticed any tax charges from the US which makes sense since I'm in Canada. Regardless, buying stuff from the US right now is a nightmare as I described above. Although I still do it from time to time cause there is too much good shit there that i know i'll most likely never come across.

Edited: 10/02/2019 at 11:26 PM by GamingSuperHero

Oct 03 at 12:32:18 AM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
I really don’t understand all you Canada people talking about seeing USA prices and feeling duped by it. If I go on ebay.ca it explicitly shows prices in CAD not USD, regardless of item location. What’s going on here?

USA items

CAN items

Oct 03 at 8:07:47 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
Also, interestingly enough, I noticed that tax is only charged on the item's price, excluding shipping. So if you have a $90 item with $10 shipping you'd pay less in tax than a $100 free shipping item. Not a big deal, but I've noticed the tax has been applying that way on my purchases.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Oct 03 at 9:46:04 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: jonebone

Also, interestingly enough, I noticed that tax is only charged on the item's price, excluding shipping. So if you have a $90 item with $10 shipping you'd pay less in tax than a $100 free shipping item. Not a big deal, but I've noticed the tax has been applying that way on my purchases.
Why would that come as a surprise?

Oct 03 at 10:08:26 AM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio

Because with ebay they include shipping as part of their fee structure, so I also figured they would charge tax on shipping.

This may entice people to go back to listing that $100 item as $5 with $95 shipping.   

Oct 03 at 10:15:06 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland

Because with ebay they include shipping as part of their fee structure, so I also figured they would charge tax on shipping.

This may entice people to go back to listing that $100 item as $5 with $95 shipping.   

Exactly.  Ebay has been applying Final Value Fees to shipping for years, which pissed off a lot of people.  I'd expect them to put sales tax on shipping too, so I am surprised they did not. 

But this only impacts buyer not seller.  Seller has no incentive to do $5 / $95 as you mention because they still net the same (per eBay fees applied to shipping).  Only difference is buyer would pay less in taxes.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Edited: 10/03/2019 at 10:15 AM by jonebone

Oct 03 at 10:19:54 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Exactly.  Ebay has been applying Final Value Fees to shipping for years, which pissed off a lot of people.  I'd expect them to put sales tax on shipping too, so I am surprised they did not. 

But this only impacts buyer not seller.  Seller has no incentive to do $5 / $95 as you mention because they still net the same (per eBay fees applied to shipping).  Only difference is buyer would pay less in taxes.

eBay isn't in the position to decide what is and isn't taxed.

They can charge fees on whatever they want as long as they clearly state it in their user agreement.

But sales taxes are dictated by states.

Edit: looking up a map on the issue there are way more states that potentially tax shipping than I would have expected.

Edited: 10/03/2019 at 10:37 AM by arch_8ngel

Oct 03 at 10:22:02 AM
captmorgandrinker (572)
Ohio

Seller's incentive is that someone in the know would buy his identical $100 item over the other guy since they'll be saving $5+ on taxes.   Granted, that's not much incentive, but that'll set you apart from the crowd.

Oct 03 at 10:26:46 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Some states require sales tax on shipping as well. Welcome to CT. They'd tax air here if they could.

Oct 03 at 10:34:55 AM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Some states require sales tax on shipping as well. Welcome to CT. They'd tax air here if they could.

Yeah, and I guess in Jonebones case being in Maryland, he'd expect the same kind of excessive taxation.

Oct 03 at 10:51:00 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Yeah, and I guess in Jonebones case being in Maryland, he'd expect the same kind of excessive taxation.

If ebay is reporting taxes to each state, they should be taxing shipping on states that require it. Whether they do or not idk.

Oct 03 at 10:57:33 AM
captmorgandrinker (572)
Ohio

Move to New Hampshire!   That's like a 5 minute drive for you.

Oct 03 at 12:00:59 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Move to New Hampshire!   That's like a 5 minute drive for you.

Except with their property taxes, the cost of living is similar so I wouldn’t really benefit  

Oct 03 at 3:37:01 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
Originally posted by: gunpei

I really don’t understand all you Canada people talking about seeing USA prices and feeling duped by it. If I go on ebay.ca it explicitly shows prices in CAD not USD, regardless of item location. What’s going on here?

I see the search results in CAD and when you click on the listings they show both with exception to the import fee for whatever reason. Here is a comparison as to what we see in Canada compared to what you'd see living in the States. I personally don't care what's displayed but you can see how quickly the fees and shipping add up with the poor exchange. $234 USD buying from the US compared to $281 USD with the exchange making it $380 CAD buying from Canada. $80 for shipping and import fees on a $250 item is more than I'd be willing to pay and why I never buy from through the GSP. 

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Oct 03 at 3:38:59 PM
Andy_Bogomil (100)
(Pete ) < Bowser >
Canada
I also love the "No additional import charges at delivery!" like they're doing you a massive favour  

Wii U Collection Status: 160/161. Just Dance 2018. 

Oct 04 at 2:02:01 AM
YOURTURN (0)
(Philip N.) < Little Mac >
California
Personally speaking, I used this as a good excuse to shut down my eBay account. Long story short... The combination of how bad people inflate their asking prices with this makes the way I currently buy things a smarter option for me. Then again, I also import most of the things I want. So that should show had bad I feel this is in comparison.