Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

We might start experimenting with some ads to help keep the lights on

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:26:23 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
I would like to see rounded up pledges of $5/month. Minimal contribution for a good number of members here. I think we can get maybe 30 dudes pretty easy, especially if there's a neat icon! Perhaps an "adblocker" icon like the server donater icons. Bitches love icons.

Kick it off with a donation drive. 

Edited: 03/09/2016 at 08:27 PM by mattbep

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:26:56 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
I am unfamiliar with the site details and how it runs, so this might be a useless suggestion, but what about space for paid advertising? For example, is someone wants to pay to be near a main part of the site or something to advertise an event front and center, a small cost could be added?

-------------------------

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:06:58 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I have no problem with ads. Do what you gotta do to keep the site up mang. And thanks for all that you done already as well!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:11:03 PM
Faxanadude (21)
(A Winner Is You) < Kraid Killer >
North Carolina
Could you use some kind of program that deletes all old threads after like 3 years or something unless those threads are flagged to be saved? Might free up disk space.

What kind of things do other sites do to make money besides donate buttons? Could you utilize twitch somehow? Those streamers make lots of money sometimes.

If you end up with no other choice, just make sure they are non-intrusive. We <3 you Dain.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:13:24 PM
theinhumanwretch (13)
(Andrew ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
donations...ads...I'll support whatever.

WTB: ChipNDale 2, Arkanoid CIB

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:36:14 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee
Bring it on Boss Mang, ads or drive whatever you gotta do.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.

Edited: 03/09/2016 at 09:41 PM by MuNKeY

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:44:27 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
OK, I'm going to do a drive later on in the week, but until then, if anyone wants to help out on a monthly basis, I've got Patreon configured now. All rewards will take a few weeks to come in, so I appreciate your patience.

https://www.patreon.com/NintendoA...

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:54:53 PM
zfleming54 (65)
< Meka Chicken >
Iowa
Originally posted by: B.A.

Limited editions are all the rage. Maybe we could politely suggest (not require) that when projects are run on NA that one is set aside for the proceeds to go towards the site? I think that would generate some nice revenue.

1/1 NA editions would bring large cash...A donation drive does make good sense to me as well (though, I don't know what the monthly cost is to run the site)

Switch Friend Code: SW-4911-9662-4119

Edited: 03/09/2016 at 09:55 PM by zfleming54

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:00:25 PM
GBC Collector (7)
(Alex Lacamu) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
Originally posted by: Dain

OK, I'm going to do a drive later on in the week, but until then, if anyone wants to help out on a monthly basis, I've got Patreon configured now. All rewards will take a few weeks to come in, so I appreciate your patience.

https://www.patreon.com/NintendoAge?ty=h

Just signed up! Anything to help out

Check me out on Instagram @GBC_Collector

GBC Collector's FO/FT  GBC Collector's WTB

Want spine labels for OEM NES clamshell cases? Click Here!

Can NA beat every GB/GBC game? Come Join In!

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:01:45 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

Happy to donate Dain.  I signed up for the patreon.  How are you going to know who is who to get the user awards?

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:05:05 PM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
Pledged thanks for a great site

My Wanted to Buy/Trade Thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

My Ebay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/daillest/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&a...

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:07:24 PM
behemos (126)
(Endless Mike) < Lolo Lord >
Maryland

I'll donate to the drive, but I also just subscribed through Patreon.

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:10:29 PM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
Nintendoage has literally changed the lives of me and my family.

I'll donate what I can.

If there is going to be a formal fundraising drive I'm in.
If not, let me know and I'll just do a normal donation.

NA is a powerful force when we combine forces.

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:29:08 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
Patreon'd and will donate to the drive. Many thanks for building and maintaining the site.

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:38:26 PM
killacam74 (42)
(Cameron Dixon) < Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Just did the Patreon, I love this site!

Currently Playing:
Banjo Kazooie - Nintendo 64
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 - Playstation

WTB (PM Me Please):
Digimon Anything

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:40:45 PM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
Patron'd

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:57:04 PM
KAMIKAWA (25)
(Keith Kamikawa) < Kraid Killer >
Wisconsin
Originally posted by: B.A.

Limited editions are all the rage. Maybe we could politely suggest (not require) that when projects are run on NA that one is set aside for the proceeds to go towards the site? I think that would generate some nice revenue.
This is a really great idea, I'm also in for Patreon and a donation drive!  ADs wouldn't be great but whatever it takes!

For Sale: Limited Run Games http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Check out my Virtual Reality game PolyAquatic out now on iOS for Google Cardboard!
Coming Soon to Oculus Rift! 
http://polyaquatic.com/...

If you're looking for game art, pixel, 3D, or graphic design hit me up!
https://keithkamikawa.com/...

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:28:07 PM
Steverd (0)
(Steve Reed) < Little Mac >
Washington
With Adblockers now, click through rates are super down. My old adsense sites hard make any $$$ anymore.
Even blocks YouTube ads for creators, I've taken about 50% decrease, kinda sucks actually.
Anyway, on other forums I donate to, you get a special icon under your name, or special members only area, etc.
Just something special to help increase donations. Or even some show ads to users that have not donated.
I know I could do that on my vBulletin forums I ran.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:05:18 AM
pujolsfan (116)
< King Solomon >
Missouri
I don't have any problem with ads. Ads on the sides of the pages wouldn't kill anyone. Just don't make it to where you have a full page ad that you have to click out of before going to the page that you requested.

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:37:31 AM
LifeGame (63)
(M D) < El Ripper >
Quebec
Ill help any way i can

NES games to finish my licensed set -S.E. :  DOWN TO 2

LITTLE SAMSON, DINO PEAK

NES licensed : 674/677

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:41:54 AM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
What the hell is a Patreon? Lol

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:46:56 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
No Ads. Mainly because, Ad Sites can get hacked and exploit guest machines through the ads. Most of the crap I clean off of people's computers are from getting hit by an infected Ad. This is why I run Adblocker and NoScript.

I'd donate in a heartbeat. I don't know about Patreon. Rather just paypal the donation once a year or something. Maybe an annual 24 hour Game-a-thon? Just to make it fun.

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:22:59 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Thanks to everyone that has signed up, I really appreciate the support. The types of ads that we were looking into were the kind that would slide up from the fold, or create in-text ads (I really dislike these). Again, I'm not a fan of any ads, but it was more or less to try to find a way to help pay the costs of hosting the site(s). We do have an eBay referral account, and that does bring in some, but when they changed the payout structure, it tanked. It's also very seasonal, so during warmer months, it's basically non-existent. I'll know in the next few days if the Patreon thing will work out well enough, so if not, I might put in ads and allow Patreon supporters to "turn off" the ads. The last thing I want to do is piss off everyone -- I'm just trying to find a more reliable way to help with the $650+ per month that I'm paying to keep the site open.

Because of the number of "hits" our site gets (~2 million/month), the types of adds use CPM, or cost-per-1000-impressions. This doesn't require click-thrus to generate income, it just requires that it gets displayed. So I'm not sure how well this would end up being for us, but it might be worth trying at some point. We did Amazon a while back before they blocked NC for tax reasons (they've since re-opened it up to NC users). I had an Amazon tool that allowed you to search zShop comments to find keywords. This worked really well, and I know a lot of people wanted this to come back, but it's a huge commitment on time to maintain, and it earned about $40-$50/mo in referrals.

Also, a lot of the ideas in this thread are awesome. I'm pretty much out of spare time to start any more projects, like running a YouTube channel, hosting a marathon, creating games to sell, etc... all really awesome ideas. Heck, even running a donation drive is very time-consuming, probably why I haven't done one in a while. Keeping track of who donated what, ensuring the proper icons get handed out, etc., it's comes down to time that I don't have in the day. This is why every aspect of NA is volunteer driven... if it weren't, we'd be closed already. We could use volunteers to run social media, post on the homepage, fill in the database, help code the site, etc.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:37:11 AM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
Im on board with anything you need to do because its a privilege to use this forum not a right. If you can avoid the ads with volume please do (they are the worst).

Will donate to the drive

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:30:07 AM
ALTQQ (79)
(I've lost my television remote do you know where i Should look?) < King Solomon >
British Columbia
I'll definitely donate to the drive, I use ad blockers so I'm not a fan of ads. Any way to delete old threads or some of the unused images on file?

I lost my television remote, have you seen it?